Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07-13-2016, 06:40 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 06:32 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Touchy.

The Sk**e Gr**p is sort of a touchy subject for some.
And we don't have a discord. At least I don't think we have a Discord.
Do we have a Discord?
Discord is just so much better than skype for just chatting. But I don't think it can do video or call phones. You can though have a hundred people in a room and not get alerted unless mentioned by name.

It's like skype and teamspeak had an incredibly handsome baby.

Oh it also lets you use text to speech to talk to people and it can replace a lot of stuff like overwolf teamspeak such and such for the average folk. It can't outright replace anything but its a one stop shop. Plus it doesn't take itself too seriously, HEAVILY community driven, and has a sense of humor.
(07-13-2016, 06:51 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 06:40 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]The Sk**e Gr**p is sort of a touchy subject for some.
Do we have a Discord?
Discord is just so much better than skype for just chatting. But I don't think it can do video or call phones. You can though have a hundred people in a room and not get alerted unless mentioned by name.

It's like skype and teamspeak had an incredibly handsome baby.

Oh it also lets you use text to speech to talk to people and it can replace a lot of stuff like overwolf teamspeak such and such for the average folk. It can't outright replace anything but its a one stop shop. Plus it doesn't take itself too seriously, HEAVILY community driven, and has a sense of humor.

I'm aware of what Discord is. I just don't think we have a server.
We could probably make one... Might be convienient, and it would be yet another reason to get me to finally bother installing it.
The anti-Skype Group might like that too, since it'd basically be our counterpart to them.
(07-13-2016, 06:40 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 06:32 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Touchy.

The Sk**e Gr**p is sort of a touchy subject for some.
Do we have a Discord?

I mean we could get a discord but it would just further replace the forum because literally all the things we do here on the forum can be done on discord.
(07-13-2016, 06:55 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 06:40 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]The Sk**e Gr**p is sort of a touchy subject for some.
Do we have a Discord?

I mean we could get a discord but it would just further replace the forum because literally all the things we do here on the forum can be done on discord.
Discord can even function like a forum in many respects, and the logs are persistent and search works I think.
(07-13-2016, 06:55 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
Do we have a Discord?

Unless it has colored text and a good way to search through old messages, I don't think the RPs would survive there.
Besides, I think the two have different purposes. The Thread would be better for longer posts, general discussion, etc. The Discord would be better for quick communication, and if we ever manage to start a Nexus game server again and not have it die rapidly.
(07-13-2016, 06:56 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 06:55 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]I mean we could get a discord but it would just further replace the forum because literally all the things we do here on the forum can be done on discord.
Discord can even function like a forum in many respects, and the logs are persistent and search works I think.

Logs aren't an issue, the 500 page threads here are just as unreasonable to sift through. I'm referring to the fact that Discord allows us to partition discussions far better than Skype. Within a single discord server you can have a dozen or more text and voice channels for different discussions, with rules stickied onto chat channels as needed. It also supports native content embedding and uploading, with a slightly easier to read "online now" list than the forum.

(07-13-2016, 06:59 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 06:55 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]I mean we could get a discord but it would just further replace the forum because literally all the things we do here on the forum can be done on discord.

Unless it has colored text and a good way to search through old messages, I don't think the RPs would survive there.
Besides, I think the two have different purposes. The Thread would be better for longer posts, general discussion, etc. The Discord would be better for quick communication, and if we ever manage to start a Nexus game server again and not have it die rapidly.

I believe this was the reasoning behind the last chat room. We all know how that turned out. Technically speaking for general discussion a real time chat like Discord has every advantage over a forum like this.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I can't find a colored text command, Discord is made for many things but RP isn't one of them.
(07-13-2016, 07:00 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 06:56 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Discord can even function like a forum in many respects, and the logs are persistent and search works I think.

Logs aren't an issue, the 500 page threads here are just as unreasonable to sift through. I'm referring to the fact that Discord allows us to partition discussions far better than Skype. Within a single discord server you can have a dozen or more text and voice channels for different discussions, with rules stickied onto chat channels as needed. It also supports native content embedding and uploading, with a slightly easier to read "online now" list than the forum.

(07-13-2016, 06:59 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]Unless it has colored text and a good way to search through old messages, I don't think the RPs would survive there.

I believe this was the reasoning behind the last chat room. We all know how that turned out. Technically speaking for general discussion a real time chat like Discord has every advantage over a forum like this.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I can't find a colored text command, Discord is made for many things but RP isn't one of them.

I mean I'm not saying moving the RPs couldn't be done. I'm saying that is probably better it isn't.
And I'm mostly just worried that if General Discussion leaves the forum, the rest of it will collapse afterward. And yeah by the rest of it I mostly mean the RPs, the user-made content threads (which I know don't really get a lot of attention or stuff posted in the first place) and any possibility of new members.
(07-13-2016, 07:13 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 07:00 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Logs aren't an issue, the 500 page threads here are just as unreasonable to sift through. I'm referring to the fact that Discord allows us to partition discussions far better than Skype. Within a single discord server you can have a dozen or more text and voice channels for different discussions, with rules stickied onto chat channels as needed. It also supports native content embedding and uploading, with a slightly easier to read "online now" list than the forum.

I mean I'm not saying moving the RPs couldn't be done. I'm saying that is probably better it isn't.
And I'm mostly just worried that if General Discussion leaves the forum, the rest of it will collapse afterward. And yeah by the rest of it I mostly mean the RPs, the user-made content threads (which I know don't really get a lot of attention or stuff posted in the first place) and any possibility of new members.
I understand and share your concern, which is why I'm tentatively against a discord server in the first place, as silly as it may seem to prefer to cling to an inferior option.
What noises does an avali make?

Meanwhile a "feminist" is protesting in front of a public restroom and I'm like

[Image: magpie6.jpg]
[Image: cdOblqU.gif]
TFW you're looking for wallpapers of an anime and basically of them are of just one or two characters.

(07-13-2016, 11:31 PM)Comito Wrote: [ -> ]Snip

This must be what happens when you try to evolve your Evie in every direction at once.
https://gfycat.com/BrokenJointConch
How to counter bastion.
(07-12-2016, 02:16 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]I can't believe I've done this but...here's what I think of Heroes of the Storm after...fuck has it really been over 12 hours? Anyways Heroes of the Storm is intended as a MOBA boiled down to it's purest essence, teamfights and lanefights, it's a big blobby no-nonsense mess of heroes beating the tar out of each other, at least that was the sales pitch. In practice the no-nonsense part doesn't hold up, each hero has a non-linear progression where you choose one of 3-4 perks every couple of levels, and the perks you can choose from varies depending on the milestone you're hitting, so no going back for that damage increase after you get lifesteal, and each map has a unique "gimmick" to try and spice up gameplay, though they all boil down to "do X to rapidly burn down the enemy towers" "do X to summon a giant monster that burns down the enemy towers/heroes for you" and "do X to absolutely turbofuck the enemy towers so you can burn them down" I'm sensing a slight pattern. I digress though, the teamfights are delivered very well, without any pressure to level the right abilities or buy the right items it just comes down to using your hero's kit to beat the tar out of the enemy in some mad furball of a teamfight, and what complexity there is in the game of teamfighting and pushing lanes serves only to make it less of a pain in the ass.

Of course there are some rather glaring issues, some of the "talents" you can choose from every so often seem blatantly and objectively better than others (restore mana on every 5th attack or restore HP? hmmm gee I wonder what I want on my high damage melee character) and frankly the F2P model is piss, asking $10 to cram your hero into a new costume and giving a paltry 50 gold per bot match (which I'm actually told is all a lot of people play) while hero costs are in the thousands is just not kosher. I'd be more understanding of this model if HotS had the good sense to ask for $40-60 upfront and then give me the keys to the mansion so to speak, letting me run off and play with every hero it has as I please, like SMITE does, but the only bundles HotS seems to offer are just collections of skins and their associated heroes.

Heroes of the Storm is momentarily engaging, but ultimately greedy and seems to lack real substance as a MOBA, I don't think I could recommend it in good faith.

Ah HotS. Worse gameplay than League, and still a less greedy pay system.
(07-13-2016, 11:31 PM)Comito Wrote: [ -> ][Image: cdOblqU.gif]

*Invincibility star music plays*

Pfffffhahaha wow. Some people legitimately complain about the goofy loading messages and weird sense of humor of Discord as if it's a serious problem.
If the messages on the freaking loading animation are bothering you, you probably shouldn't be on the internet.
I mean seriously. I get some of the (totally dank) memes might get a bit old or annoying, but is this really what you want the devs to prioritize? Removing a little bit of flavour text that lots of people like or can ignore completely that only appears for a few seconds?

But personally I find the whole sense of humor in Discord to be great. But I'm a pleb who likes memes and nonsense so bleh.

(In case it wasn't obvious, I ended up getting Discord. Amusingly, the decision had almost nothing to do with the discussion earlier, but rather something completely unrelated in an MMO.)

Edit: My liking memes may have been awakened to a higher level due to [/o\ REDACTED /o\] from The Secret World... Who basically speaks using memes, internet lingo, and references... Which is also unrealted, despite TSW being an MMO. Boy, lots of unrelated stuff being tangentially linked today. Tonight? Yesterday? It's 3 AM I should probably sleep. Whoops.

(07-14-2016, 04:51 AM)Reks Wrote: [ -> ]

oWo minivali headpet! The best of headpets!
...Now I'm imagining a mini Avali trying to nest in someone's hair... *Squeal of delight*
[Image: 5a9030e82cdfc5a9954134d46d1778cb.png]
These little blighters are a goldmine of reaction images.
[Image: cd1.jpg]
looking for pokemon in 50s tunes
[Image: f027869b561a3d4b4250d622a835f4ed.png]
Am I cool yet? pls?
(07-14-2016, 02:56 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: f027869b561a3d4b4250d622a835f4ed.png]
Am I cool yet? pls?
I'm not sure a hero or cringy, you're basiccaly a sniper running around gunning down bastions like a madman with an AR
(07-14-2016, 11:51 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 5a9030e82cdfc5a9954134d46d1778cb.png]
These little blighters are a goldmine of reaction images.

I forgot to say, screw you.
I now have yet ANOTHER webcomic addiction.