Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-08-2016, 05:28 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]-Big Ehks Face-

Where does the money for this keep coming from

Ehks is obviously secretly head of the Illuminauti and as such has access to their bottomless bank accounts.
(08-08-2016, 05:35 AM)Comito Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 05:28 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]Where does the money for this keep coming from

She stabs people for it, obviously.
Nepotism

But it's still cute.
Oh wait I never showed you guys my full body sona yet, did I.
(08-08-2016, 10:42 AM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]Oh wait I never showed you guys my full body sona yet, did I.
[Image: Qbt21ru.png]
Half dragon half marshmallow or something?
(08-08-2016, 11:52 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 10:42 AM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]Oh wait I never showed you guys my full body sona yet, did I.
snop
Half dragon half marshmallow or something?
No! He's...
He's just big furred.
(08-08-2016, 12:17 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 11:52 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Half dragon half marshmallow or something?
No! He's...
He's just big furred.
That's definitely more than just fur.
(08-08-2016, 12:27 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 12:17 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]No! He's...
He's just big furred.
That's definitely more than just fur.

HE'S ALSO BIG BONED
AND...
Big skinned. and...
...u-uh, well, see now, its complicated.
(08-08-2016, 12:45 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 12:27 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]That's definitely more than just fur.

HE'S ALSO BIG BONED
AND...
Big skinned. and...
...u-uh, well, see now, its complicated.

I didn't say that being both fat and fluffy is a bad thing. He's pushing it a bit with the weight but looks extremely huggable nonetheless.

Its fiiine.
Why does it seem like everything in the RP always ends up with either a nuclear disaster or accidentally triggered the apocalypse?
(08-08-2016, 01:13 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]Why does it seem like everything in the RP always ends up with either a nuclear disaster or accidentally triggered the apocalypse?

because nuclear disasters and apocalypse are FUN
I cant fit the full spectrum in three words
because people join shortly after someone just went through the big "no nuclear devices" speech again, and thus do not read it.  leading to nuclear fission devices every time without question.

Like really, don't they realise how much radiation spreads? It doesn't matter how far underground it went. Plus town is downwind from it from the description of the area by umbra meaning nuclear radiation is soon to flood the town. Please, nix this bullshit, it is not fun, and it directly breaks the rule of not causing issues that break the capability of other people to write their own stories. Since you're dirty bombing the town, even if by accident.
(08-08-2016, 02:43 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]because people join shortly after someone just went through the big "no nuclear devices" speech again, and thus do not read it.  leading to nuclear fission devices every time without question.

Like really, don't they realise how much radiation spreads?  It doesn't matter how far underground it went.  Plus town is downwind from it from the description of the area by umbra meaning nuclear radiation is soon to flood the town.  Please, nix this bullshit, it is not fun, and it directly breaks the rule of not causing issues that break the capability of other people to write their own stories.  Since you're dirty bombing the town, even if by accident.

Yes. This is effectively what happened at Chernobyl. Once it was realized that the containment had failed and nuclear materials were exposed to the environment, a 30 mile exclusion zone was unavoidable. Which from the timings and placements would completely obliterate the town.

Since Umbra is not around I'm trying to DM it back to sanity through Danu trying to at least stop further damage, but all that water is just going to spread the radioactive contamination around even worse.

Ultimately we're going to have to use the terraforming devices that reconditioned the planet to put the forest back to normal, because there is no realistic way to clean up the mess that thing made.

At minimum we need to retcon the detail where the core melted clean out the bottom of it. This would not happen for one simple fact- nuclear reactors are sensitive to geometry, and in EVERY core meltdown scenario the material inevitably loses critical mass and stops reacting leaving a mess of radioactive slag in its container. My plan was that danu would soak the unit with whatever water she could take from the surrounding environment, making any metallic components it had help dissapate heat and stop the core from going china syndrome. But since that china syndrome happened, the RP is sort of over because everyone in the town is exposed to lethal amounts of radiation and must immeadiately get medical treatment on EDEN.
(08-08-2016, 01:13 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]Why does it seem like everything in the RP always ends up with either a nuclear disaster or accidentally triggered the apocalypse?
Because.

Also a small portable reactor blowing should not be a disaster, it'd be like a firework rocket going boom.
(08-08-2016, 04:14 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
Because.

Also a small portable reactor blowing should not be a disaster, it'd be like a firework rocket going boom.

A nuclear device of any kind experiencing a meltdown is world in crisis with permanent toxic side effects. Do your research before you throw these things around.

What you've written in RP is on the same level as what happened at Chernobyl wherein a core breach has happened and the surrounding area must be evacuated for the next 65,000 years before the radiation levels return to safe values.

Obviously we're going to cheat that recovery time using the terraforming device, but Acroma, Comito, and I all have dead characters now because they've unavoidably been exposed to lethal amounts of radiation from the exposed core material.

The only way I could make a reasonable recovery of this mess is if the core stayed contained inside the unit and only melted down. This puts it on the level of 3 mile island, people still live near that thing. Point of fact, 3 mile island is still powered to this day. Core #2 on TMI melted down and was dismantled following the accident, but TMI Core #1 still operates regularly generating electricity for the city of Harrisburg PA.

This is what it looks like! This is Three Mile Island, photographed by me about 3 years ago. The domed structure on the left is the empty containment from Unit #2, while the dome on the right is the still-active Unit #1. According to the NRC status page, TMI #1 was at 100% capacity when I took these pictures.

[Image: DSCF0092.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0055.jpg]
(08-08-2016, 04:29 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 04:14 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Because.

A nuclear device of any kind experiencing a meltdown is world in crisis with permanent toxic side effects. Do your research before you throw these things around.

What you've written in RP is on the same level as what happened at Chernobyl wherein a core breach has happened and the surrounding area must be evacuated for the next 65,000 years before the radiation levels return to safe values.

Obviously we're going to cheat that recovery time using the terraforming device, but Acroma, Comito, and I all have dead characters now because they've unavoidably been exposed to lethal amounts of radiation from the exposed core material.

The only way I could make a reasonable recovery of this mess is if the core stayed contained inside the unit and only melted down. This puts it on the level of 3 mile island, people still live near that thing. Point of fact, 3 mile island is still powered to this day. Core #2 on TMI melted down and was dismantled following the accident, but TMI Core #1 still operates regularly generating electricity for the city of Harrisburg PA.

This is what it looks like! This is Three Mile Island, photographed by me about 3 years ago. The domed structure on the left is the empty containment from Unit #2, while the dome on the right is the still-active Unit #1. According to the NRC status page, TMI #1 was at 100% capacity when I took these pictures.

[Image: DSCF0092.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0055.jpg]

That's for reactors that power cities, not that only put out enough juice to power a prius.

Please don't get ahead of everything here alright? You're jumping to multiple conclusions.

The amount of material used in such a small reactor is something you could lift, like the amount that goes into an RTG.
(08-08-2016, 04:31 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 04:29 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]A nuclear device of any kind experiencing a meltdown is world in crisis with permanent toxic side effects. Do your research before you throw these things around.

-snip-

That's for reactors that power cities, not that only put out enough juice to power a prius.

Please don't get ahead of everything here alright? You're jumping to multiple conclusions.

The amount of material used in such a small reactor is something you could lift, like the amount that goes into an RTG.

kid, you should see more shoddy cast, there's a bloody good reason I keep posting his "a letter to-" series here, sure it sounds like he's overcalculate things but that's the thing applied to real life that's in videogames
(08-08-2016, 04:40 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 04:31 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]That's for reactors that power cities, not that only put out enough juice to power a prius.

kid, you should see more shoddy cast, there's a bloody good reason I keep posting his "a letter to-" series here, sure it sounds like he's overcalculate things but that's the thing applied to real life that's in videogames
Oh boo hoo I got the numbers wrong, this is storytelling not real life.
When the question of how fast does the enterprise go the answer was "as fast as it needs to" as holding to a strict number ruins the plot.
(08-08-2016, 04:43 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 04:40 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]kid, you should see more shoddy cast, there's a bloody good reason I keep posting his "a letter to-" series here, sure it sounds like he's overcalculate things but that's the thing applied to real life that's in videogames
Oh boo hoo I got the numbers wrong, this is storytelling not real life.
When the question of how fast does the enterprise go the answer was "as fast as it needs to" as holding to a strict number ruins the plot.

You would be glad to learn that it actually does have a speed limit. Starting from Star Trek TNG, the Enterprise could not exceed warp 10. Hard limit right there, explained canonically as the warp drive technology of the time had changed to where warp factor 10 required nearly infinite power to achieve- more than the ships of the time could produce, and the entire warp factor scale was remade at that time to work within this limit.

Now in the original series, they often did describe the ship going far faster than it ever should have. This was a writer's crutch abused way too often, that's why it was taken out of the later series by introducing an amusing amount of technological regression.

At the same time warp factor is not a speed. Its a space-time compression factor, because the ships travel through subspace at a subluminal velocity to give the appearance of FTL capability. They never actually break the speed of light, doing so results in time warp.
(08-08-2016, 04:43 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 04:40 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]kid, you should see more shoddy cast, there's a bloody good reason I keep posting his "a letter to-" series here, sure it sounds like he's overcalculate things but that's the thing applied to real life that's in videogames
[Image: its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg]
oh hooray, let's survive a nuclear blast while in the blast radius of it with several inches of spehss magic steel armor, what could possibly go wrong? nothing is because of spehss magic!
(08-08-2016, 04:50 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 04:43 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Oh boo hoo I got the numbers wrong, this is storytelling not real life.

You would be glad to learn that it actually does have a speed limit. Starting from Star Trek TNG, the Enterprise could not exceed warp 10. Hard limit right there, explained canonically as the warp drive technology of the time had changed to where warp factor 10 required nearly infinite power to achieve- more than the ships of the time could produce, and the entire warp factor scale was remade at that time to work within this limit.

Now in the original series, they often did describe the ship going far faster than it ever should have. This was a writer's crutch abused way too often, that's why it was taken out of the later series by introducing an amusing amount of technological regression.

At the same time warp factor is not a speed. Its a space-time compression factor, because the ships travel through subspace at a subluminal velocity to give the appearance of FTL capability. They never actually break the speed of light, doing so results in time warp.
But, they never stated what warp means in real space right?

(08-08-2016, 04:56 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 04:43 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ][Image: its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg]
oh hooray, let's survive a nuclear blast while in the blast radius of it with several inches of spehss magic steel armor, what could possibly go wrong? nothing is because of spehss magic!
Please don't, I've already gotten plenty of shit out of all of you over a few miscalculations.

I insist that you not rub it in any more.

Odin don't go through with a retcon just write it off as "it's just a story" this time and in the future I'll be more thorough in my RESEARCH for the ROLEPLAY.