Avali Nexus
Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: User Created Content (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Thread: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! (/showthread.php?tid=12)

Pages: 1 2

Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 05-20-2015

So, the ammount of avali 3D fanart is pretty low i noticed... (the ones that i found to exist are cheep cash grabs on SL)

So, I am a 3D modeling/animation major, So i am gonna attempt the 3D fanart of the avali master race, FOR OPEN SOURCE USE!!!! *Dramatic Lighting.* also i need more portfolio pieces to polish my resume, but that's not the point... though it totally is.

Though this is mostly a place holder form until I get something more concrete set up. will keep yall posted!

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - Ryuujin - 05-20-2015

I'll be most interested to see how this turns out!

I used to do 3D modelling way back when, before modern "sculpt" type tools came out. I've been thinking of getting back into it but couldn't make head nor tail of zBrush, selecting and manipulating the individual 3D objects was crazy counter-intuitive (It almost felt like zBrush wanted to be an art program with depth first, 3D modelling package second). Have any suggestions for 3D packages that allow both classical (3DSMax style) manipulation, and modern "sculpty" (zBrush) like packages, that ideally have retopography tools too?

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - BountyXSnipe - 05-21-2015

I haven't done sculpting before, but I have done some 3d modeling before with Blender. Most of my 3d models are mainly prop types such as weapons and objects.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 06-03-2015

ah neat, actually got two replies... turns out, posting that before graduation was a baaaaad idea, just recently got free time.

and yeah, I use blender. blender sculpting is nice, along with the fact it can handle clasic sculpting, scene composition, animation, and rendering.

moving on though with an explanation for the minimal work i was able to get done:

After studying many reference images to how they look (thanks Ryuujin for making so many good reference images.), a developed a simple bash mesh using several tools: like skin, mirror and smooth.
[Image: 1433293267.masteredwood_avali_screencapv1.png]

this was when college and life distracted me, until I got back lator to update with going over the mesh with a sculpt tool... At the moment fine details are mostly missing, though I sculpted and formed around until I got it to resemble an avali at least.

[Image: 1433293403.masteredwood_avali_smoothish.png]

Over the next week though, I am going to focus mainly on the hands and feet, trying to make them look JUSSST right, as i am currently content with how the face is looking. Will hopfully update yall on my progress much sooner then last time.

also, I assume the bottom of the feet, inside the mouth, and muscles are references you didn't draw right Ryuujin?

So for the time being I am going to use mostly birds and raptors as reference for those.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - Ehksidian - 06-03-2015

(06-03-2015, 01:10 AM)masteredwood Wrote: ah neat, actually got two replies... turns out, posting that before graduation was a baaaaad idea, just recently got free time.

and yeah, I use blender. blender sculpting is nice, along with the fact it can handle clasic sculpting, scene composition, animation, and rendering.

moving on though with an explanation for the minimal work i was able to get done:

After studying many reference images to how they look (thanks Ryuujin for making so many good reference images.), a developed a simple bash mesh using several tools: like skin, mirror and smooth.
[Image: 1433293267.masteredwood_avali_screencapv1.png]

this was when college and life distracted me, until I got back lator to update with going over the mesh with a sculpt tool... At the moment fine details are mostly missing, though I sculpted and formed around until I got it to resemble an avali at least.

[Image: 1433293403.masteredwood_avali_smoothish.png]

Over the next week though, I am going to focus mainly on the hands and feet, trying to make them look JUSSST right, as i am currently content with how the face is looking. Will hopfully update yall on my progress much sooner then last time.

also, I assume the bottom of the feet, inside the mouth, and muscles are references you didn't draw right Ryuujin?

So for the time being I am going to use mostly birds and raptors as reference for those.

Just letting you know, I can't see the images - might be wise to upload them somewhere other than FA, since FA really hates being embedded for some reason.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 06-03-2015

Terribly, sorry, here is image 1 and 2 now posted from my tumblr art blog i just made. http://masteredwoodartblog.tumblr.com/

[Image: tumblr_npcik06krI1uxuor9o1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_npcik06krI1uxuor9o2_1280.png]

its now mildly outdated, cause i redone the eyes, adjusted the head proportions, and started working on the talons, BUUUuuut i am not gonna spam posts... probably will update this thread every 2 or so days.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - BountyXSnipe - 06-04-2015

Not bad. The ears could be a little bit "straighter" and you're off to good start.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 06-05-2015

Smoothness and straightness is actually a real pain to do with sculpting programs...  I have tried to touch em up a bit better, though the bumbs and lumps should be lost when i re-mesh the thing with good topology.

gonna update with images once I get it to the point where I am done sculpting and gonna jump to the next part... possibly tomorrow actually.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - Ryuujin - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 06:32 AM)masteredwood Wrote: Smoothness and straightness is actually a real pain to do with sculpting programs...  I have tried to touch em up a bit better, though the bumbs and lumps should be lost when i re-mesh the thing with good topology.  

gonna update with images once I get it to the point where I am done sculpting and gonna jump to the next part...  possibly tomorrow actually.
If you use a selection mask to isolate just the surface you want to make smooth and even, you can then smooth it over without melting the edges/ruining other surfaces. Masks are your friend in sculpting software, lets you protect the rest of the model and isolate just the area you want to change.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 09:08 PM)Ryuujin Wrote: If you use a selection mask to isolate just the surface you want to make smooth and even, you can then smooth it over without melting the edges/ruining other surfaces. Masks are your friend in sculpting software, lets you protect the rest of the model and isolate just the area you want to change.
True...  and its worth looking into, As i am at the moment, just smoothing the main bumps out.  though I am quite sure most of the uneven bumps (if not all) will be lost once I re-mesh it...  i am going to loose ALOT of subtle geometry once i remesh it from 308k faces  down to preferably around a few K ish, at most. 

its hard to make things look completely smooth at that detail, so its just a matter of, trying to look at something and deciding if you think its going to loose that weird lumpiness once you re-mesh.  also take my word for it when i say  that "when i go into wire frame mode, the whole model becomes a orange blob due to the how dense the mesh is." 

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 06-06-2015

After spending several days working on the hands and feet, and revamping the whole... face area.  I think I got it at a point, where I can try and ditch the sculpt and re-mesh the thing.

[Image: tumblr_npieh7YRSq1uxuor9o1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_npieh7YRSq1uxuor9o2_1280.png]

Face bumps me a tad still, though when your in 2D there is MANY tricks to make something look cute and appealing that don't translate to 3D D:

Might polish up a tad tomorrow, before I start the whole remesh thing, for now I am off to sleep.

Also wanna add, that the feathers are gonna be added through particles... its really hard to imagine what an Avali looks like bald though D:

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 06-12-2015

[Image: tumblr_npt2uebz6z1uxuor9o1_1280.png]

The face was bumping me still, so i ended up looking closely into reference images. turns out the eyes appear quite triangular, while I could not implement that as sharp as i would have liked (And keep somewhat appealing.) I redid how the eyes connect, for what i think is better.

While looking at the ears, I also decided to redo the top ears, pointing them more up, seeing this as probably a more neutral pose shape for them.

With that in mind, I got it just as i liked, and is NOW ready to start the next stage.

I lost 3 hours of work... but i learned something important... when your in eddit object mode, and you do 3 hours of work, once you leave eddit mode SAVE. aparently your WHOLE eddit action is considered a single step in the undo tool...

Now if you excuse me, I am gonna cry in a corner and finish this lator.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - Shaadaris - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 03:35 AM)masteredwood Wrote: I lost 3 hours of work... but i learned something important... when your in eddit object mode, and you do 3 hours of work, once you leave eddit mode SAVE. aparently your WHOLE eddit action is considered a single step in the undo tool...

Is there not a redo tool?

(06-12-2015, 03:38 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(06-12-2015, 03:35 AM)masteredwood Wrote: I lost 3 hours of work...  but i learned something important...  when your in eddit object mode, and you do 3 hours of work, once you leave eddit mode SAVE.  aparently your WHOLE eddit action is considered a single step in the undo tool...

Is there not a redo tool?

there is, but doing ANYTHING voids the ability to redo... that includes clicking anything in the 3D view...  I tried it though...

Well... 3 hours of catch up lator, after crying for the first 20 minutes, and I passed where i was originally!

[Image: tumblr_nptkdscrKE1uxuor9o1_1280.png]

I have started on the re-topology of the mesh... At the moment the knees and arms are MASSIVELY lacking in geometry, as there is bends in both limbs that are COMPLETELY not in it yet.

most of my time was working on the Head, Hands, and feet.

I hope by next time i get time to sit down, I can get the whole model finished and ready to UV unwrap...

Also incase anyone douse not know what The sculpt to Re-Topology method is, and is confused why there is suddenly large chunks of the mesh missing, but i claim its progress, I will quickly answer it.

Basically, I made the original sculpt using dynamic sculpting tools; this allows me to make quick changes and rabid tweaks, with out worrying about geometry, but the actual wire frame becomes so dense and so messy, that its basically useless for anything beyond prototyping 3D characters. Basically I sculpt out the mesh, then use that as a base to start off with, while i box model a new body around it.

Its nice, cause While sculpting, I can worry about making it look good, and not meshed well, then once i got a base to model off of, then i can worry about the neat topology stuff :3

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 07-04-2015

After a file crash and hunting down for my backups, I finally got to finishing up most of the body... I now need to finish the eyes, mouth, and inside ears... though i might touch up the hands and make them a tad bigger.

[Image: tumblr_nqxzv45ps51sbgs0yo1_1280.png]

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - TheSpiderDungeon - 08-27-2015

I cast File Guard. Let's hope I roll a d20.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - masteredwood - 01-20-2017

so yeah...  its been like over a year since I updated this thing, but I legit forgot about my quest due to college stuff... while still doing college work, I did manage to make some significant improvements and changes.  the feet and hands were refined, while I finished the mouth and eyes

[Image: 1484172913.masteredwood_avali_ready_for_detail.png]

I never did these next steps on blender, as i learned most my 3D modeling off maya, so I need to figure out the UV unwrapping process, but once That is done I can begin to add the important details... Mainly the feathers, I been very intent about the feathers being a detached soft body part of the model, so it flows and sways when i get to animating! (Ah, one day :3)

anyways, I might only be able to spend an hour or 2 a week, but with hope I can get this thing in a working state!  

Also, Before I fully commit to the design and work on the next step, if anyone notices any glaring issues in the design I may have overlooked, now would be a sweet time to point it out.

RE: Redwood's Quest to make the holy 3D fanart! - Dipdoo - 01-21-2017

That image link didn't work. I've been thinking about giving it a shot myself, I'm also on a fence when it comes to what program to use, I know Maya best, but I like Blender's workflow