Avali Nexus
Ryu's lore and art dump. - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: User Created Content (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Thread: Ryu's lore and art dump. (/showthread.php?tid=15)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - SharpTeeth - 09-04-2015

I dunno, mate, his reply suggested otherwise. I came here to criticize him as he was mostly dead to the world and this is the only place I knew he posted on consistently and would see it. Its not about wanting to see anything. To be fair, would you like to see someone trash your concept? Criticism has to come from those who love the concept enough to tear it to shreds in order to see it improve. And I carry the message of many to the creator to have him fill in some holes. Do you think I really know all that science? (Mind you I still had to research it to confirm the points of others. Don't want to parade a falsehood as a fact)
None of the replies I made to the people here ever criticized their enjoyment of the concept. You are free to do what you wish. To be honest, it warms the icy lump in my chest to see you guys jumping to his defense, but none of you really have the right to interpret the criticism for him. I am not here to attack you but to tell the author what he needs to improve. The only replies that I am readily willing to respond to are those who misinterpret a part of my argument or don't understand it in some measure. This isn't the starbound forums. Even if you neg rep me, I will still readily respond to any questions directly to me, as I want to see this concept grow and become something other than what people would dismiss as fur-sue. I love the art so much that I would be willing to submit myself to snark and sarcasm just to see a few fresh kernels of ideas pop up.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Hetuni - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 12:12 AM)Cole4110 Wrote:
(09-04-2015, 12:03 AM)SharpTeeth Wrote: To be honest, I didn't expect anyone else to care. You aren't the one my criticism is meant for, but I will gladly defend any attempts to poke holes in it. The only way to make authors take another look at their work is to be frank and honest, to show what they can work on, even if no one else notices.

PM spam incoming.
The part where this mentality falls short is: i can be fairly certain ryu doesnt care much himself either > ^> Your basically 
 throwing bones at a color printer and asking it to dance you a showtune.
I can really understand if you see flaws in the lore and would like to see them fixed?...
But Lets be real here if ryu wanted the criticism you wouldn't of had to chase him down to the fourms 
Of course i can speak all to well for him but from what i know he doesn't care what you have to say and still nobody else does
 Avali wont be hard sci-fi lore with fleshier story than a ham sandwich. Its just a fun little race for starbound that caught on, thats it.

Just to elaborate from what I know...
They started off in 2008 or so (maybe earlier) on Spore as a thought experiment of how a society like this would work.
Either way, I too think you're looking too deeply into it when people really didn't care...  I don't think Ryuujin is trying to compile a narrative, which would rule out the elements of trying to tell one here.
I also wanted to say something about this... 
"It's very clear he wants to make a cautionary tale of the dangers of technology"
I am pretty sure that it's not, really just world-building from what I know.

"I am pretty sure that it's not, really just world-building from what I know."
"This was a deliberate decision since the intention was to drill down into potential uses and pitfalls of tommorow's technology (Networking, robotics, augmentation)."

There we go. Now it might be understandable I seemingly might be exaggerating the point, but since he has specified a specific purpose to the story, I wanted to demonstrate how that might be improved.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Cole4110 - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 12:23 AM)SharpTeeth Wrote: I dunno, mate, his reply suggested otherwise. I came here to criticize him as he was mostly dead to the world and this is the only place I knew he posted on consistently and would see it. Its not about wanting to see anything. To be fair, would you like to see someone trash your concept? Criticism has to come from those who love the concept enough to tear it to shreds in order to see it improve. And I carry the message of many to the creator to have him fill in some holes. Do you think I really know all that science? (Mind you I still had to research it to confirm the points of others. Don't want to parade a falsehood as a fact)
None of the replies I made to the people here ever criticized their enjoyment of the concept. You are free to do what you wish. To be honest, it warms the icy lump in my chest to see you guys jumping to his defense, but none of you really have the right to interpret the criticism for him. I am not here to attack you but to tell the author what he needs to improve. The only replies that I am readily willing to respond to are those who misinterpret a part of my argument or don't understand it in some measure. This isn't the starbound forums. Even if you neg rep me, I will still readily respond to any questions directly to me, as I want to see this concept grow and become something other than what people would dismiss as fur-sue. I love the art so much that I would be willing to submit myself to snark and sarcasm just to see a few fresh kernels of ideas pop up.
While i can see your concerns with it being beaten down by some, what will it even matter? The people who stay will stay and those who wish to trash it can to? thats their choice in the end really
 I personally like the lore in any case, it doesn't feel like some 'fur-sue' that you might see, as i know those are much worse that what avali have to offer, avali just seem more colorful and not all brown and hypercritical though that may not be the right word. Basically Its a good mix for what that have, god forbid a species actually have some color to it and not just be the brown and silver lined "space age furries"
So in any case yes. But honestly you come off as a bit more aggressive than you make think in the first place, possibly why so many of us are taking it as an attack o ^o

Are you kidding me? I love arguing with people, especially if I think something interesting is gonna come of it. I don't have one iota of irritation or hatred towards any of you, and I actually get excited whenever someone is willing to actually debate my points instead of resorting to ad hominems. This is literally my job, and something I have enjoyed doing since I was in sixth grade.

The only person I am truly being aggressive against is Ryu, admittedly, due to one very important issue that I refuse to elaborate on or ever make public. That issue is precisely why I have to be aggressive and well read, because his issue won't allow him to admit it otherwise.

And the sue-fluff was something I took offense over and tried to disprove. I couldn't say they were wrong, so I tried to point out the mistakes instead.
Actually, let me go further: using one sentence for each-
Tell me, what are the flaws of the Avali?
Tell me, what ARE the Avali without all the tech? (using forum and personal characterization does not count!)
Answer those two questions and I'll show you a little bit of what I try to get at.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Ryuujin - 09-04-2015

Quote:Then don't bother listing so much detail. You don't have to justify anything fictitious, but Ryu seems to be having a hard time grasping this.*
Check the wiki history, half that fine detail I didn't even write. And I've been busy going over the wiki the last couple of days trimming some of the fat that other people expanded upon such as...

Quote:leading to gems such as giving a blind race visually based augmentation
...that.

That was not something I ever created. I have actually had to repeatedly explain that they do not have visual augmentation, because an audiocentric race would not have the mental "systems" to make a great deal of use of that extra input.

Quote:Ice shelf cracking. On a planet totally covered in ice. Or the low intense grumbling that exists in coastal ice shelves. That is all.
Is that lore even still on the wiki? I retconned that ill conceieved bit of geography over a year ago, you of all people should understand why.
Quote:I noted this because Ryu thinks twitch nerve impulses mean total immunity. Also, sound senses are a hundred times more sensitive than optical, due to the way they are structured.
And now you're the one trying to create extra detail where it doesn't exist. I have never explictly stated how the Avali auditory system is structured, it was never relevant to do so. Human auditory organs are very easily damaged, but what makes you assume Avali hearing uses the same structures?

Quote:"I believe your problem is, that on some level, you want them to be real. That's okay. It's okay to have some wish fulfillment and self indulgence, but you need to be aware of this and embrace it or overcome it, rather than trying to marry reality and fantasy together. If you aren't careful and don't know where to draw the line, it becomes hard to tell what details are needed and what is just excessive fluff."
It seems to me you have your strawman  of the author who loves over-fluffing content and bad science, and are hell bent on flogging it regardless of the facts. As in the example about about the cybernetic eye augmentations; a lot of this is not my writing. Check the wiki history closely and you'll find a lot of that fluff was not written by me. I havn't actually had a great deal of input in relation to the Avali in best part of a year, nor kept a particularly close eye on the edits.

Thanks to you bringing this to my attention I'm in the process of proof reading and adjusting the wiki and it's contents to reflect the actual lore and contents more accurately. If you come back in a month or so, you can come back, ignore all that and just launch another attack on a strawman

Quote:The only person I am truly being aggressive against is Ryu, admittedly, due to one very important issue that I refuse to elaborate on or ever make public. That issue is precisely why I have to be aggressive and well read, because his issue won't allow him to admit it otherwise.
Just spit it out already, you keep dancing about saying you have some earth shattering revelation but refuse to say what it is. I can't possibly imagine what you have that is going to turn my world on it's head, and you can say it here in public, no need to go skulking about in private mail

YES! Change at last, though it came at the price of some goading.

I'm glad that you are finally stripping incorrect fluff, but allowing people to randomly decide aspects of a race causes more problems than it should. You have to take responsibility on some level.
Also, hearing requires delicate structures, at some part you would still need to be aware of the damage that could easily be caused. The higher "resolution" that they can uptake, the more easily they can be damaged.

I'm just going to echo the post your sent me personally, since I personally don't feel I have anything to hide, and know that my friends know me better than some creepy stalker who's opinion is based on cherry picking reddit and starbound posts that fit their agenda.

SharpTeeth Wrote:Fine, here you go, but don't be ass-mad. I was looking for permission to criticize you directly and you never responded. So if you get blustered, here you go. I only say this because I don't think you pay attention to the insensitivity of your own actions.

You write like a pre-med student. This is not a good thing! Your writing (from the forums and mod!) reeks incredibly of overconfidence in your own knowledge. Half of the shit you wrote is easily the most egotistical intellectually masturbatory crud I have ever seen. You need to be able to say, "hey, maybe I'm wrong and I need to ask others for help" but you have this stunning ability to deflect criticism whenever someone challenges the points you strongly believe in, and become sullen and irate, like a little child. And I'm not talking about the forums, you were actually civil for once in your life! Seriously, I have seen you shit on so many people on the starbound forums and reddit, just because you have to reply with a testy bit of egotistical tat. Seriously, just write simply for goddamn once. Take a step back and say, hey, look pal, I disagree with what you say, but I am gonna disagree civilly with you. You are, what, thirty years old? I'm eight years younger than you and I still don't treat people like an edgy teenager. The statement you wrote alone when you discontinued your mod upset a bunch of your young fans, you do realize the reason they were begging you for an update is because you said you were working on it? You could have just said, please stop asking, I give up on starbound, but no, you had to shit on people just because they were expecting something of you. You want to write SO much goddamn tat just to show off your intelligence, and it shows! This isn't a dick measuring contest to see who is the smartest, it's a goddamn piece of fiction. Take your concept back to square one and work your way from up top. Ask some writing forums, ask some scientists. Just do something! Do your research! Or just simply say they can be whatever they goddamn want to be. But you won't. You want to spend an absurd amount of effort without bothering to make sure the "facts" you spew are correct. You know what half the people told me when I asked them why they trusted your science so much? They said you had a background in biology. To your credit, I have never seen you state such a thing, but if I honestly had found it, I would have reamed you apart. Seriously, you gave them a latin fucking taxonomic designation. You have all this trust in you and you do jack shit with it. You have become the very thing you mocked. You do realize people take whats on the wiki as word of god? Do something about it! Put up a statement that says most of the information is fanon or whatever.

ARGH. Look, dude, I'm sorry and no one deserves to have these things slung at them, but on some level you aren't truly aware of the callousness of your actions. Your ego pokes through on the descriptions of the items alone. I never wanted to say this because they are goddamn insults, ones that I have to say in private because no one deserves to have that shit flung publicly at them.
I want you for once in your life to be able to change and not be so stubborn. Make peace with what you do, and be open minded. I don't hate you. I don't even truly know you. But I want you to see that maybe you were being too proud. I guess that's one of my biggest flaws, the inability to let things go and try to improve things, even other people. Even if it's unasked for, I almost did not want to say this to you, but I think someone as creative as you deserves the opportunity at self improvement. I hate the fact I had to continuously dance around what I wanted to say and not truly say what was on my mind.

Sorry.

Quote:This is not a good thing! Your writing (from the forums and mod!) reeks incredibly of overconfidence in your own knowledge.
Should I not be confident in my knowledge? - Should I always stay silent for fear I may have an incomplete picture of the facts?. I contend I have confidence, but not overconfidence, I do my research, sometimes I make mistakes and I welcome being corrected so I might learn from that.

If you had actually spent the time to talk to me instead of monologuing to a strawman this last week you might have noticed this; And you did notice earlier, when it finally sank in I was taking your critique to heart and tweaking the wiki. Something I have told you no less than 3 times, though apparently it only sank in now.

Quote:I'm eight years younger than you and I still don't treat people like an edgy teenager.
I have to laugh a little at this quote because that is exactly what you've sounded like for the last couple weeks while you've been posting here Wink

Quote:Seriously, you gave them a latin fucking taxonomic designation.
Actually it's not even latin... there's a rather long, boring story behind that involving another game in which they featured in a plot, how auto uploads messed the name about and people misunderstood their interpreted name. That "taxonomic name" is a continuity nod to an accident that happened 6 years ago, in a video game, now buried as an irrelevant tidbit to please a minority of people who still even remember that incident.

And yet you take a tiny irrelevant detail that I am and will always be displeased about but cannot fix without a time machine, and use it as example of my hubris  Rolleyes

Quote:You know what half the people told me when I asked them why they trusted your science so much? They said you had a background in biology.
Yeah I dunno why people'd think that. Biology isn't an area I have ever studied beyond armchair level, you might remember, the specifics of their biology I outsourced to a self professed expert like yourself since people kept asking for more specific details like what gas they breathe (Which seems a fair question to try get a solid answer to, "What gas do they breathe" does have narrative relevance; do they need to bring their own air supply outside their native habitat?).

At any rate, it seems like for all this time you've been e-stalking me, the one thing you never did was to actually, you know... talk to me as a person. You already created this strawman based on out of context posts likely dating back over a whole year, and came in, guns blazing, full of presumptions and opinions.

As I said on day one of your posting, thank you for pointing out some of the flaws, it has given me some pause for thought. I am now in the process of revising the wiki and lore with the help of a writer friend of mine...

Quote:YES! Change at last, though it came at the price of some goading.
...though apparently you now attribute this to yourself, 2 weeks and a lot of entirely unnecessary harassment and drama later. So, yeah. My changes to the wiki remain ongoing, your "personal criticism" wasn't really needed or relevant in that regard.

Like I said, I'm confident, not over-confident. If I'm wrong, just tell me, ideally without reverting to riddles.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - J. Mourne - 09-04-2015

Relevant Nonsense

Simply put, SharpTeeth, with all respect to your technical knowledge: you continually attribute what you perceive as flaws in the Avali as mistakes due to Ryuujin's sloppiness, hubris, and/or laziness. I have never known him to do anything in such manner. And there is no way for me to convince you of his credibility unless you are willing to calm down, sit down, and speak with him as an equal instead of trying to educate him as if he were an arrogant know-nothing.

Good-day, sir.

Irrelevant Nonsense

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Nyumii - 09-04-2015

...He set his status as Away for the next 207 years.

"SharpTeeth is currently away.
Reason: I'm done with what I needed to say, thank god, and can put this behind me. Bye.
Away Since: Yesterday
Returns on: 12-30-2222"

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - J. Mourne - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 04:49 AM)Nyumii Wrote: ...He set his status as Away for the next 207 years.

Reason: I'm done with what I needed to say, thank god, and can put this behind me. Bye.

It is probably for the best. Some differences are too great to be reasonably resolved. I had heard some suggestions from people I shall leave unnamed that SharpTeeth may've just been trying to aggravate from the start. Which is a shameful waste of time and intelligence, but it was mostly wasted in hostility anyway.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - UnamusedAvali - 09-04-2015

Could we possibly expand on the Avali history and possibly wildlife, I have a few ideas and sketches for both such as a bounty hunter avali group.

And other types of airborne wildlife

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - UnamusedAvali - 09-04-2015

Such as you know, they're evolution because, say if they grew larger wings as the evolved they at one point could have had ways of transportation(I have a few sketches, one or two fucked up...) and say if they were at one point having tribal disputes, less advanced armour, the medieval tech for the Avali?
Could this work?

(09-04-2015, 04:41 AM)J. Mourne Wrote: Relevant Nonsense

Simply put, SharpTeeth, with all respect to your technical knowledge: you continually attribute what you perceive as flaws in the Avali as mistakes due to Ryuujin's sloppiness, hubris, and/or laziness. I have never known him to do anything in such manner. And there is no way for me to convince you of his credibility unless you are willing to calm down, sit down, and speak with him as an equal instead of trying to educate him as if he were an arrogant know-nothing.

Good-day, sir.

Irrelevant Nonsense

Sorry, I never read what Sharpteeth wrote, it's kind of ironic that he calls Ryu lazy, arrogant and sloppy, seriously RYU SPENT THE TIME AND EFFORT TO MAKE A MOD AND A RELATIVELY GOOD COMMUNITY AND CONCEPT FOR IT, PLUS HE MAKES SURE HE'S ADDING THINGS TO IT LIKE HERE.
mini rant over
But seriously what does Sharpteeth contribute besides balls of hate and rants.

Ryu which way did the Avali evolve, from your viewpoint?

(09-04-2015, 04:49 AM)Nyumii Wrote: ...He set his status as Away for the next 207 years.

Sharpteeth: "ur dum!"
Sharpteeth has left the conversation.

What a classy debating technique  Tongue

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Sankoro - 09-05-2015

What's the Avali equivalent of trashy daytime talk shows?
This is very important, I'm sure.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - UnamusedAvali - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 12:02 AM)Sankoro Wrote: What's the Avali equivalent of trashy daytime talk shows?
This is very important, I'm sure.

For once I agree.
Think those pokemon tv shows you can find.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Corosar - 09-05-2015

(09-04-2015, 04:16 PM)Ryuujin Wrote:

Sharpteeth: "ur dum!"

Pfff... incrediably classy. i love to know when the wiki rewrite is done though. i personally wanna try and keep as aligned to avali lore as possible... my character tends to require that from race lores for me to be comfortable with it and while i love the avali. i have so many unanswered questions that i feel rather timid about asking... mostly out of not wishing to over grasp onto fine details that may not be so important in the end or if your already gonna answer them. i think i wanna hold my questions till the wiki is repaired.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - UnamusedAvali - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 12:57 PM)Corosar Wrote:
(09-04-2015, 04:16 PM)Ryuujin Wrote: Sharpteeth: "ur dum!"

Pfff... incrediably classy. i love to know when the wiki rewrite is done though. i personally wanna try and keep as aligned to avali lore as possible... my character tends to require that from race lores for me to be comfortable with it and while i love the avali. i have so many unanswered questions that i feel rather timid about asking... mostly out of not wishing to over grasp onto fine details that may not be so important in the end or if your already gonna answer them. i think i wanna hold my questions till the wiki is repaired.
YAY, CORO!
*Glomps*

But, if the avali evolved from a smaller and less powerful race with smaller wings only intended for gliding then they could have utilized things like horses but airbourne because one of my failed Avali sketches turned into something like that.
That I redrew many times, I'll put it up, see if Ryu likes the concept leave naming up to him as well as technical specialities, Avali would also be able to keep them as pets maybe in modern Avalon?
I'm not too sure but I liked the concept at the time.
I will add legs sooner or later.
It's attached below.
Flying is hard is the caption that didn't fit in. Woops.

Also, could we add like different races within the Avali like the Twi'Lek in star wars the Rutians and the Lethans or like humans, caucasian, asian, african etc. etc.
Basically different nationalities, possibly wars, bad feelings between certain groups. etc. etc

Or just avali separatists and an ongoing conflict that isn't really that wide scaled and is just a standstill war due to the technology utilized by both sides.

Also the old mountaintop cities as we know would have needed to be constructed from heavy loads, of course these could have been utilized in their construction as they are about the size of a bus. Therefore living permanently on the mountaintop.

Also, say an Avali was BORN without a pack, could they go solo, become bounty hunters of sorts...
Goddamn it I need my things to make sense.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Gonzogonz - 09-07-2015

Ryuujin, to my knowledge you don't take art requests, but there was one thing i've missed about the Avali and either i've just, well, missed it, or it isn't there, which would be bad.
sorry, to the point: how do you draw an Avali? i mean if youlook up drawing tutorials on the net you can find thousands of tips and tricks and step-by-step ways to draw humans, vehicles, (anthro) animals, yet there don't seem to be one for Avali.
and while there are plenty of good Avali artists out there (looking at you Nexeron) you're probably still the most knowledgeable in terms of ho to draw them.

i'm asking this due to personally want to learn to draw (i currently draw like a quad-amputated dog with a dull pencil up it's butt) and i've gotten a few new friends who are quite good at drawing, both traditional and digital and they seem to have a hard time grasping how to go about drawing an Avali.

i'm not sure how long this would take, again, not an artist myself, but it owuld be nice and useful to have this.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - UnamusedAvali - 09-07-2015

(09-07-2015, 11:24 AM)Gonzogonz Wrote: Ryuujin, to my knowledge you don't take art requests, but there was one thing i've missed about the Avali and either i've just, well, missed it, or it isn't there, which would be bad.
sorry, to the point: how do you draw an Avali? i mean if youlook up drawing tutorials on the net you can find thousands of tips and tricks and step-by-step ways to draw humans, vehicles, (anthro) animals, yet there don't seem to be one for Avali.
and while there are plenty of good Avali artists out there (looking at you Nexeron) you're probably still the most knowledgeable in terms of ho to draw them.

i'm asking this due to personally want to learn to draw (i currently draw like a quad-amputated dog with a dull pencil up it's butt) and i've gotten a few new friends who are quite good at drawing, both traditional and digital and they seem to have a hard time grasping how to go about drawing an Avali.

i'm not sure how long this would take, again, not an artist myself, but it owuld be nice and useful to have this.
I kinda figured it out, I can teach you, later when I'm not dying from phlegm induced suffocation.
I shit you not this happened to me.