Avali Nexus
Ryu's lore and art dump. - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: User Created Content (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Thread: Ryu's lore and art dump. (/showthread.php?tid=15)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Rukii - 09-07-2015

(09-07-2015, 11:24 AM)Gonzogonz Wrote: Ryuujin, to my knowledge you don't take art requests, but there was one thing i've missed about the Avali and either i've just, well, missed it, or it isn't there, which would be bad.
sorry, to the point: how do you draw an Avali? i mean if youlook up drawing tutorials on the net you can find thousands of tips and tricks and step-by-step ways to draw humans, vehicles, (anthro) animals, yet there don't seem to be one for Avali.
and while there are plenty of good Avali artists out there (looking at you Nexeron) you're probably still the most knowledgeable in terms of ho to draw them.

i'm asking this due to personally want to learn to draw (i currently draw like a quad-amputated dog with a dull pencil up it's butt) and i've gotten a few new friends who are quite good at drawing, both traditional and digital and they seem to have a hard time grasping how to go about drawing an Avali.

i'm not sure how long this would take, again, not an artist myself, but it owuld be nice and useful to have this.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Comito - 09-18-2015

There used to be a picture with three silhouettes of drone designs, but I think it was lost in that DDOS corruption. Do you still have it?

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Ehksidian - 09-18-2015

(09-18-2015, 04:21 AM)Comito Wrote: There used to be a picture with three silhouettes of drone designs, but I think it was lost in that DDOS. Do you still have it?

wasn't a ddos, just a corruption in files and stuff that fucked up a lot of shit.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Rukii - 09-18-2015

(09-18-2015, 04:21 AM)Comito Wrote: There used to be a picture with three silhouettes of drone designs, but I think it was lost in that DDOS corruption. Do you still have it?
[Image: 3K0lYDd.jpg]

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Comito - 09-19-2015

(09-18-2015, 04:18 PM)Rukii Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 04:21 AM)Comito Wrote: There used to be a picture with three silhouettes of drone designs, but I think it was lost in that DDOS corruption. Do you still have it?
[Image: 3K0lYDd.jpg]
Yep, that's them. Thanks so much.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Ryuujin - 11-30-2015

I'm just gonna leave this here

(The amount of nakedvali bothered me :p - While they don't have a nudity taboo as we know it. That doesn't mean they don't dress. They'd still bring equipment and covering relevant to their role.

I also had a musing on tools, and concluded since they work in teams, it's not unreasonable that some devices that might benefit from extra hands - like a wrench, would be over-sized by our standards so more than one vali can grip the lever and help. This also helps emphasise their tiny relative size)

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - YDH - 11-30-2015

Maybe they go nude on purpose when humans are around, just to bug us. Tongue

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Shaadaris - 12-01-2015

(11-30-2015, 07:09 PM)Ryuujin Wrote: I'm just gonna leave this here

(The amount of nakedvali bothered me :p - While they don't have a nudity taboo as we know it. That doesn't mean they don't dress. They'd still bring equipment and covering relevant to their role.

I also had a musing on tools, and concluded since they work in teams, it's not unreasonable that some devices that might benefit from extra hands - like a wrench, would be over-sized by our standards so more than one vali can grip the lever and help. This also helps emphasise their tiny relative size)

First of all, I love Avali clothing - dem cloaks~
Secondly, I'm now picturing a bunch of Avali hanging off the side of a giant wrench with their feet wiggling in the air trying to touch ground, and that is adorable.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - SCN-3_NULL - 12-02-2015

(12-01-2015, 07:20 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:

First of all, I love Avali clothing - dem cloaks~
Secondly, I'm now picturing a bunch of Avali hanging off the side of a giant wrench with their feet wiggling in the air trying to touch ground, and that is adorable.

Or it could be made out of aerogel, just like almost everything else.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Corosar - 12-02-2015

I have been trying to come up with a look and design for my corovali.. i just tend to have a hard time showing my personality through clothing and other such methods. its kinda why i stuck with the survival harness.. though its just a bit too plain for me. seeing all the designs for garb that you come up with tend to make me want to come up with something rather nice and stylish.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - YDH - 12-04-2015

So here's a question. Do avali have mounts? Do they domesticate animals at all, or rely solely on hunting for their meat?

I'm imagining an avali mounted atop a giant chocobo-like creature.

Addendum: Given that the Avali's primary sense is hearing, and that their ears basically shut down when exposed to loud noises to avoid damage, would a device that emits a continuous loud tone essentially render them "blind" until someone switches it off? Or am I misunderstanding the effect of "relaxing the inner ear?"

I can see this being used against them in infantry combat by races with a narrower hearing range... human or apex soldiers running a noise generator that is deafening/blinding to Avali but outside their own frequency range. I assume the solution for this would be for Avali infantry to have enclosed helmets with additional sensors that can compensate and shut out the interference.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Gonzogonz - 12-12-2015

(12-04-2015, 01:53 AM)YDH Wrote: So here's a question. Do avali have mounts? Do they domesticate animals at all, or rely solely on hunting for their meat?

Addendum: Given that the Avali's primary sense is hearing, and that their ears basically shut down when exposed to loud noises to avoid damage, would a device that emits a continuous loud tone essentially render them "blind" until someone switches it off? Or am I misunderstanding the effect of "relaxing the inner ear?"

I can see this being used against them in infantry combat by races with a narrower hearing range... human or apex soldiers running a noise generator that is deafening/blinding to Avali but outside their own frequency range. I assume the solution for this would be for Avali infantry to have enclosed helmets with additional sensors that can compensate and shut out the interference.

as for your first question, i've already asked that and Ryuu pretty much just said "not part of the Avali thought exercise; unimportant" though i agree, it'd be neat to see Avali mounted on some form of creature.
though from what i know, domesticating creatures (while they are not obsolete due to better tech) is rather difficult. Europe and such had a handful of easily domesticated creatures, which early on gave them a boost. but now that we have cars, we rarely see horses moving our stuff around.
that and given the world of Avalon is a pretty harsh place compared to something like central Germany, i'd doubt there'd be a whole lot of easily domesticated wildlife suitable for riding or large-scale transport.
and given Avali were nomads who preferred to travel light, i'd guess they didn't have much access to much more than hand-pulled sleighs. and even that might not have been fully practical.
but i'm not the creator, maybe Ryuujin has been toying with the idea since last i asked him and he has a fitting answer and a new little tag to the Avali lore regarding domestication and mounts as well as a few new additions to the flora and fauna to the wiki. (because it really needs it. Avalon might be harsh but there's more biodiversity in the valley of death than on that iceball)

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - YDH - 12-13-2015

(12-12-2015, 10:41 PM)Gonzogonz Wrote:
(12-04-2015, 01:53 AM)YDH Wrote: So here's a question. Do avali have mounts? Do they domesticate animals at all, or rely solely on hunting for their meat?

as for your first question, i've already asked that and Ryuu pretty much just said "not part of the Avali thought exercise; unimportant" though i agree, it'd be neat to see Avali mounted on some form of creature.
though from what i know, domesticating creatures (while they are not obsolete due to better tech) is rather difficult. Europe and such had a handful of easily domesticated creatures, which early on gave them a boost. but now that we have cars, we rarely see horses moving our stuff around.
that and given the world of Avalon is a pretty harsh place compared to something like central Germany, i'd doubt there'd be a whole lot of easily domesticated wildlife suitable for riding or large-scale transport.
and given Avali were nomads who preferred to travel light, i'd guess they didn't have much access to much more than hand-pulled sleighs. and even that might not have been fully practical.
but i'm not the creator, maybe Ryuujin has been toying with the idea since last i asked him and he has a fitting answer and a new little tag to the Avali lore regarding domestication and mounts as well as a few new additions to the flora and fauna to the wiki. (because it really needs it. Avalon might be harsh but there's more biodiversity in the valley of death than on that iceball)

Given what I know about the process of domestication (which I'm admittedly not an expert on), domesticating animals isn't difficult so much as only creatures with certain traits can be domesticated. They have to be social, calm around people, instinctively fall into dominance hierarchies and are willing to subordinate to humans, etc. Lacking any of these traits renders a species undomesticateable. In other words, it's the traits of the animal, more than traits of the environment, that determine whether a species can be domesticated.

When dealing with an alien species, there's another question to address: is the alien civilization suitable for domesticating animals? Humans are very good at bonding with things that aren't human (we bond with rocks for crying out loud!), but maybe Avali aren't. Predation seems much more central to their identity and behavior than it was for us, so maybe it's more difficult to break down the "us and them" mentality that forms barriers to inter-species relationships. They bond very tightly to each other, but not to things that aren't Avali. Predators in general tend to behave in very "I-it" ways. They kinda have to--if you think of your prey as a living, feeling creature, you'll have a hard time bringing yourself to kill it.

This could potentially explain their continued antagonistic relationship with humanity, even though centuries/millennia have passed. As an American, I consider the British, Germans, and Japanese my allies, even though we were historically enemies. We can reframe other people and animals from things to people fairly easily, but maybe Avali can't. Maybe a stronger "I-it" mentality among Avali makes it more difficult to connect with other species. If they think of humanity as an "it," then there's no possibility of forgiveness or friendship in their minds.

The more I think about Avali, the more I feel like they would be kind of xenophobic. Not in the sense that they're isolationist or want to wipe out everything that isn't them, but more in the sense that as a society, they just don't make friends with alien species.

This is cool! I just asked about mounts as a curiosity question, but this line of thought has helped me connect the dots and given me new narrative ideas for my machinima!

At least until Ryuujin comes around and josses it all. Tongue

Another thing I've wondered... we as humans share our world with a number of evolutionary relatives of varying degrees of closeness--chimps, gorillas, capushins, etc. Are there Avali-like species that are almost but not quite sapient? Or did the predator thing get in the way again and prompt the Avali to drive their cousins to extinction through competitive exclusion like we did the neanderthals?

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - UnamusedAvali - 12-13-2015

(12-12-2015, 10:41 PM)Gonzogonz Wrote:

On the first topic though.
The topic of cars an vehicles making things obsolete.
Would ancient Avali have used mounts?

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Gonzogonz - 12-27-2015

Ryuu, after my brother told me a very interesting (and incredibly complex and hilarious) story, it got me thinking about design children. I.E. children designed by their parent, in the current day and age this is not a fully perfect process and not commonly used, but Avali are a far more advanced race and they could possibly have perfected the craft of designing children, tailoring them before they are even conceived to be exactly how the parents want them.
for humans this raises ethical questions, but what about Avali? are they cool the parents customizing the height, feather color, health and fitness of the child or is this seen as taboo in some way due to their culture/evolution?
i'm assuming there are some that are going to be cool with it and some that aren't, like in your datalog's vegetarian/meat eater example, but i feel this is a bit more of an interesting subject that raises a bit harder of an ethical question than meat or not.

otherwise, what are you guys thoughts on it? do you think that if humans had the ability right now should couples be allowed to make a child the same you would make a sim only more advanced? (detailing facial structure, hair/eye/skin color, body build, hormone production and impact, hair growth etc.) and do you think Avali would use it?

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - UnamusedAvali - 01-30-2016

(12-27-2015, 09:36 PM)Gonzogonz Wrote: Ryuu, after my brother told me a very interesting (and incredibly complex and hilarious) story, it got me thinking about design children. I.E. children designed by their parent, in the current day and age this is not a fully perfect process and not commonly used, but Avali are a far more advanced race and they could possibly have perfected the craft of designing children, tailoring them before they are even conceived to be exactly how the parents want them.
for humans this raises ethical questions, but what about Avali? are they cool the parents customizing the height, feather color, health and fitness of the child or is this seen as taboo in some way due to their culture/evolution?
i'm assuming there are some that are going to be cool with it and some that aren't, like in your datalog's vegetarian/meat eater example, but i feel this is a bit more of an interesting subject that raises a bit harder of an ethical question than meat or not.

otherwise, what are you guys thoughts on it? do you think that if humans had the ability right now should couples be allowed to make a child the same you would make a sim only more advanced? (detailing facial structure, hair/eye/skin color, body build, hormone production and impact, hair growth etc.) and do you think Avali would use it?
Humans: Mass protests because "it's unnatural." "It's against god's will." "It interferes with nature." "I'm just in here to get attention."
Avali: Technology that can help eliminate genetic defects and diseases? Sweet, take it all.

Just realise you likened it to Sims, I can picture someone trying to create their child with just all these sliders and screaming "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DOING?"

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Surge - 03-17-2016

edit: disregard all things. I was late to a pitchfork party, I'll just go put my rioting utensils away.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - AlciyaDragonash - 07-29-2016

I had a thought about how Avali would measure Time. Since i read somewhere about Avalon being tidally locked to its parent world, possibly at a Lagrange point, it would make measuring time difficult in that the planet woudl have no rotation like earth. So for the Avali 'time' would become analogous to 'distance'. In old earth times before clocks and sundials were a thing, time was often measured in 'candles', as in the time it took for a new candle to burn all the way down.

My thought is that The Avali would measure time as the time it takes to cover a given distance on foot, and so their "Hours" would be referred to as "miles" or "leagues", or whatever the Avali terms for distance would be.

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - AlciyaDragonash - 07-29-2016

((apologies for second post. ignore this one))

RE: Ryu's lore and art dump. - Dipdoo - 11-19-2016

The more I read the more I want, the more I want the more I read. It's a vicious cycle.