Avali Nexus
[split] Semiserious RP 1: The great debate - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: The Archives (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: [split] Semiserious RP 1: The great debate (/showthread.php?tid=17)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: About Damn Time - Marxon - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 12:53 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:52 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((Which is what quite a large portion of the RPers here seem to want, hence why steps have been taken to make it serious.))
//well i now retcon everything Austin has done and his existence bye and i hope to never see you again.
But we still love you.

RE: Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: About Damn Time - AustinLB90 - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 12:56 AM)Marxon Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:53 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: //well i now retcon everything Austin has done and his existence bye and i hope to never see you again.
But we still love you.

//and i hate you have a terrible day.

(05-31-2015, 12:57 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:56 AM)Marxon Wrote: But we still love you.

// why do you hate me what did I do? You're not being cool about this...

Batteh...

RE: Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: About Damn Time - Shaadaris - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 12:57 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:56 AM)Marxon Wrote: But we still love you.

BUGGER OFF.
Marx has done nothing to you. If you're going to go raging at everyone, go do it somewhere else.

RE: Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: About Damn Time - Ehksidian - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 12:56 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: //The goal is a hybrid. I'm all for random chaos happening. But limits. No more of this blowing up the world on a whim or madman with the powers of a god and the personality of a suicidal 14 year old.

//If done properly, it is possible to achieve an RP that experiences plot and character development while still being open to random schenanigans and antics. But that is only possible if people tone down their powers considerably, and try to achieve balance in terms of ability with other players on the field.

//Like so we should achieve a lighthearted but fascinating 'casual' RP that allows people to express themselves and have fun while still having an interesting story going on.

//In that pursuit, Ehksidian, Umbrakiin, Shaadaris and I have all been trying to stabilize this RP and get the more reckless players in check. Also, rather than making a new RP on the CF forums, I would gladly take part in a more serious themed RP operated on this forum instead.

//Aye. This is why I changed the title to "Semiserious" - there's structure, there's rules, but it's not as serious as other RPs elsewhere, and it's not intended to be. It should be lighthearted and fun and stuff, but it'll have at least a modicum of substance behind it at least, which makes it more interesting for everyone.

RE: Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: About Damn Time - AustinLB90 - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 12:58 AM)Marxon Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:57 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: //and i hate you have a terrible day.
// why do you hate me what did I do? You're not being cool about this...

Batteh...

//good because i can never make the dumb discussion to come back because you will all hate me.

(05-31-2015, 01:01 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:58 AM)Marxon Wrote: // why do you hate me what did I do? You're not being cool about this...

Batteh...

//good because i can never make the dumb discussion to come back because you will all hate me.

I won't hate you...

(05-31-2015, 01:00 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:57 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: //and i hate you have a terrible day.

BUGGER OFF.
Marx has done nothing to you. If you're going to go raging at everyone, go do it somewhere else.
I appreciate your support but i don't want him gone even if he is, acting like this.

[split] Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: Temp - AustinLB90 - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 01:03 AM)Marxon Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 01:01 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: //good because i can never make the dumb discussion to come back because you will all hate me.

I won't hate you...

(05-31-2015, 01:00 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: BUGGER OFF.
I appreciate your support but i don't want him gone even if he is, acting like this.
//you can go die in a hole, now bye see you probably never.

RE: Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: About Damn Time - Ehksidian - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 01:11 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 01:03 AM)Marxon Wrote: I won't hate you...

//Rule #1: Don't be a dick. Marx is being nice to you, and you're telling him to die in a hole.
//If you don't stop now, I will ban you for a day until you cool the fuck down.

// dude relax this isn't my fault, you're still my buddy. I'll hug you if you want.

RE: Avali Nexus Semiserious RP 1: About Damn Time - Timtimthe2nd - 05-31-2015

/Austin, cool it. Just because some of us want a more structured rp does not give you the right to randomly bite people's heads off. Like they said, shenanigans are fine, random god-modded characters that cause the apocalypse three times over are not. All we want is a little more structure than utter chaos, so I don't see why you're mad.

RE: [split] Semiserious RP 1: The great debate - OdinYggd - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 12:37 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 12:35 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: //how much longer before this can no longer be called nonserious RP?

((It shouldn't be called nonserious RP. We have set locations, lore, etc. It stopped being very nonserious some time ago, except that some people don't seem to understand that and keep throwing sudden world-ending disasters and GODMODE POWAHS every which way))

//The goal is a hybrid. I'm all for random chaos happening. But limits. No more of this blowing up the world on a whim or madman with the powers of a god and the personality of a suicidal 14 year old.

//If done properly, it is possible to achieve an RP that experiences plot and character development while still being open to random schenanigans and antics. But that is only possible if people tone down their powers considerably, and try to achieve balance in terms of ability with other players on the field.

//Like so we should achieve a lighthearted but fascinating 'casual' RP that allows people to express themselves and have fun while still having an interesting story going on.

//In that pursuit, Ehksidian, Umbrakiin, Shaadaris and I have all been trying to stabilize this RP and get the more reckless players in check. Also, rather than making a new RP on the CF forums, I would gladly take part in a more serious themed RP operated on this forum instead.

s

Also I've pulled the OOC discussion for this out of the RP thread proper. Please discuss it here so we don't lose track of what the RP itself is doing.

RE: [split] Semiserious RP 1: The great debate - Ehksidian - 05-31-2015

Okay yeah so since this is a separate topic, no need for OOC indicators or anything.
Discuss stuff and things yes.

RE: [split] Semiserious RP 1: The great debate - Shaadaris - 05-31-2015

There's nothing for me to say really. I like it how it is - rules are added as needed, it stays more casual than the RP at the CF forums but with structure, story, etc. Shennanigans are fine as long as they aren't huge and ridiculous or always happening, and there should be limits to people's power.

[split] Semiserious RP 1: The great debate - Marxon - 05-31-2015

I hope Austin is okay, he took it really rough... :/

(05-31-2015, 01:46 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: There's nothing for me to say really. I like it how it is - rules are added as needed, it stays more casual than the RP at the CF forums but with structure, story, etc. Shennanigans are fine as long as they aren't huge and ridiculous or always happening, and there should be limits to people's power.

This is my view as well. I altered the title to "Semiserious", as...well, that's what it was by that point. Semiserious. Keeping it as "nonserious" meant "oh okay i can still do whatever i want because it's not serious!" which...yeah, isn't the case.

I think that's the biggest thing that needs to go away- people using god tier or world-altering powers willy nilly and often on a whim because they feel like crap that day.

If we can cut down on that, maybe instead of blowing up the whole village only your character's yard gets blown up or you instead your character goes around challenging people to russian roulette, it becomes easier to do other things in the RP.

For quite a while now I see several characters taking an active peacekeeper role in trying to preserve some mode of status quo, and others who just because will blow themselves up and crash asteroids into the village.

That second type is the problematic event. It wouldn't do any good for Shaadaris to introduce a villian who kidnaps danu and everyone is supposed to go get her back when the moment people try to get together to go on a quest Penguin snaps and blows up the village again.

But once a status quo is established, it becomes possible to have random happenings taking place on it. Like the thing with the orchard, that actually was exactly what I wanted to see. Someone got mad and something bad happened, and the whole village came together to fix it and we had a great time of it.

As for lore, I've told a few people in PM to not fret about it. This is a casual RP, so the lore will never be really flawless. And with that in mind, most of our characters are otherworldly travellers of some type. Different characters came from different worlds, with their own takes on the different lores. So what works in Danu's world for instance might not work in Ehksidian's word, because Ehksidian's world had a different understanding of things. Physics itself is no longer a constant when magic is in use.

(05-31-2015, 01:53 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: I think that's the biggest thing that needs to go away- people using god tier or world-altering powers willy nilly and often on a whim because they feel like crap that day.

If we can cut down on that, maybe instead of blowing up the whole village only your character's yard gets blown up or you instead your character goes around challenging people to russian roulette, it becomes easier to do other things in the RP.

For quite a while now I see several characters taking an active peacekeeper role in trying to preserve some mode of status quo, and others who just because will blow themselves up and crash asteroids into the village.

That second type is the problematic event. It wouldn't do any good for Shaadaris to introduce a villian who kidnaps danu and everyone is supposed to go get her back when the moment people try to get together to go on a quest Penguin snaps and blows up the village again.

But once a status quo is established, it becomes possible to have random happenings taking place on it. Like the thing with the orchard, that actually was exactly what I wanted to see. Someone got mad and something bad happened, and the whole village came together to fix it and we had a great time of it.

As for lore, I've told a few people in PM to not fret about it. This is a casual RP, so the lore will never be really flawless. And with that in mind, most of our characters are otherworldly travellers of some type. Different characters came from different worlds, with their own takes on the different lores. So what works in Danu's world for instance might not work in Ehksidian's word, because Ehksidian's world had a different understanding of things. Physics itself is no longer a constant when magic is in use.

Indeed. A status quo helps a lot with the enjoyment of the RP, since it makes it so it's not always shenanigans all the time, which makes it...well, more fun when shenanigans happen.

RE: [split] Semiserious RP 1: The great debate - Penguin - 05-31-2015

(05-31-2015, 01:53 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: That second type is the problematic event. It wouldn't do any good for Shaadaris to introduce a villian who kidnaps danu and everyone is supposed to go get her back when the moment people try to get together to go on a quest Penguin snaps and blows up the village again.

Just thinking about it, there really is no way for me to do that now.

And.. then i introduce a character and.. it happens again.

I've stopped introducing characters. Because i'm absolute shite at that. And.. it causes bullshit to happen. Like blowing up the village. Or doing some other stupid shit that i'll most likely shoot myself for.

(05-31-2015, 03:06 AM)Penguin Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 01:53 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: That second type is the problematic event. It wouldn't do any good for Shaadaris to introduce a villian who kidnaps danu and everyone is supposed to go get her back when the moment people try to get together to go on a quest Penguin snaps and blows up the village again.

Just thinking about it, there really is no way for me to do that now.

And.. then i introduce a character and.. it happens again.

I've stopped introducing characters. Because i'm absolute shite at that. And.. it causes bullshit to happen. Like blowing up the village. Or doing some other stupid shit that i'll most likely shoot myself for.

Yes. You got very strategically locked down in that regard because you're one of the repeat offenders at getting upset and trying to destroy everything. Penguin the character will be fine probably tomorrow if not monday- but don't count on him being revived again. I'm surprised as many people came forward as they did.