Avali Nexus
Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=47)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 05:27 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 04:51 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: About three or four, and at least one must be important enough to be a part of the United Worlds. 

I'm guessing the United Worlds is basically the galaxy's UN.
And if not that, a company.

It's more like the United States, in that they're a vast amount of minor races who joined together to have equal power to the major races. 

Don't expect to see them on a "official" map though, or even be recognized. They even have trouble with Spacers and Corporations, who don't recognize their claim to their planets and have hijacked them before. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 06:28 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 05:27 PM)Umbra Wrote: I'm guessing the United Worlds is basically the galaxy's UN.
And if not that, a company.

It's more like the United States, in that they're a vast amount of minor races who joined together to have equal power to the major races. 

Don't expect to see them on a "official" map though, or even be recognized. They even have trouble with Spacers and Corporations, who don't recognize their claim to their planets and have hijacked them before. 

I see. What minor races, exactly?

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 07:02 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 06:28 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: It's more like the United States, in that they're a vast amount of minor races who joined together to have equal power to the major races. 

I see. What minor races, exactly?

About 120 minor races. I would give a list if I had 120 minor races. There's quite a lot of races there because they share the planets rather than waste space having their own for each species. Even then, they only have 1/3 of all known minor races among them, despite the ease of becoming an official member. This is because the 2/3 would rather go unnoticed in the politics of the galaxy, which includes the Kineptics. 

One confirmed UW minor race is the shark people Surge thought up. I forgot their name. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 07:11 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: About 120 minor races. I would give a list if I had 120 minor races. There's quite a lot of races there because they share the planets rather than waste space having their own for each species. Even then, they only have 1/3 of all known minor races among them, despite the ease of becoming an official member. This is because the 2/3 would rather go unnoticed in the politics of the galaxy, which includes the Kineptics. 

One confirmed UW minor race is the shark people Surge thought up. I forgot their name. 

Ah. Well, then. That's a lot of aliens.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 07:11 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 07:02 PM)Umbra Wrote: I see. What minor races, exactly?

About 120 minor races. I would give a list if I had 120 minor races. There's quite a lot of races there because they share the planets rather than waste space having their own for each species. Even then, they only have 1/3 of all known minor races among them, despite the ease of becoming an official member. This is because the 2/3 would rather go unnoticed in the politics of the galaxy, which includes the Kineptics.

One confirmed UW minor race is the shark people Surge thought up. I forgot their name.

(10-02-2015, 07:53 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: So yeah, I've been coming up with a race for a while now, and I've kind of outlined them a bit on metaphorical paper finally... Wondering if anyone has any input on them, because I'm having trouble coming up with any good specifics, and also wondering if I could use them in the RP.
I really don't know what else to add at the moment. Bleh.

I haz minor race suggestion which apparently nobody saw? Or I guess people just didn't comment because they thought it was just that terrible? Though if that had been the case I would have expected at least one "GTFO" comment.
Edit: Dunno if they'd be part of the UW yet, since I imagine there's probably a pretty long process getting into that which probably also needs a majority of the population to agree and considering how little the city-states can agree on... yeah.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Jim_Clonk - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 10:44 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 07:11 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: About 120 minor races. I would give a list if I had 120 minor races. There's quite a lot of races there because they share the planets rather than waste space having their own for each species. Even then, they only have 1/3 of all known minor races among them, despite the ease of becoming an official member. This is because the 2/3 would rather go unnoticed in the politics of the galaxy, which includes the Kineptics.

One confirmed UW minor race is the shark people Surge thought up. I forgot their name.

(10-02-2015, 07:53 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: So yeah, I've been coming up with a race for a while now, and I've kind of outlined them a bit on metaphorical paper finally... Wondering if anyone has any input on them, because I'm having trouble coming up with any good specifics, and also wondering if I could use them in the RP.

I haz minor race suggestion which apparently nobody saw? Or I guess people just didn't comment because they thought it was just that terrible? Though if that had been the case I would have expected at least one "GTFO" comment.
Edit: Dunno if they'd be part of the UW yet, since I imagine there's probably a pretty long process getting into that which probably also needs a majority of the population to agree and considering how little the city-states can agree on... yeah.
I hadn't read it at first. Now, I'm not entirely sure what they are supposed to be... They seem a bit reptilian from the way you described them.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 11:09 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 10:44 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: I haz minor race suggestion which apparently nobody saw? Or I guess people just didn't comment because they thought it was just that terrible? Though if that had been the case I would have expected at least one "GTFO" comment.
I hadn't read it at first. Now, I'm not entirely sure what they are supposed to be... They seem a bit reptilian from the way you described them.

Their features don't really fit into any one category, but some people would probably call them vaguely reptilian or insectoid by looking at them.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 10-03-2015

(10-02-2015, 10:44 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 07:11 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: About 120 minor races. I would give a list if I had 120 minor races. There's quite a lot of races there because they share the planets rather than waste space having their own for each species. Even then, they only have 1/3 of all known minor races among them, despite the ease of becoming an official member. This is because the 2/3 would rather go unnoticed in the politics of the galaxy, which includes the Kineptics.

Oh, sorry. Welcome the Aulzhn to the universe. And yes, you should keep them out of the UW, since their broken city-states would be against the united spirit the Worlds stand for.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 10-03-2015

(10-03-2015, 02:42 AM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 10:44 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: I haz minor race suggestion which apparently nobody saw? Or I guess people just didn't comment because they thought it was just that terrible? Though if that had been the case I would have expected at least one "GTFO" comment.

Oh, sorry. Welcome the Aulzhn to the universe. And yes, you should keep them out of the UW, since their broken city-states would be against the united spirit the Worlds stand for.

Big Grin
Yay! Of course since they're not part of any major faction I doubt they'll be very relevant at all, but still, I contributed something sort of!

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 10-04-2015

I wonder if my race of small scavengers/pirates would fit in.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 10-04-2015

(10-04-2015, 08:25 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: I wonder if my race of small scavengers/pirates would fit in.

Good question, what else should I know about them?

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 10-04-2015

(10-04-2015, 04:01 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 08:25 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: I wonder if my race of small scavengers/pirates would fit in.

Good question, what else should I know about them?

Sorry.  Thinking out loud to see if there was even a fuck no from this little bit even.  Will write something up  at some point to benefit you all so it's not "Race nobody knows anything about but is there just because."  Will start now.

Edit:

Race: Shiiah

Hey look.  Another major reason nobody bothers to uplift minor races.  Especially not anymore.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Jim_Clonk - 10-04-2015

(10-04-2015, 05:30 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 04:01 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Good question, what else should I know about them?

Sorry.  Thinking out loud to see if there was even a fuck no from this little bit even.  Will write something up  at some point to benefit you all so it's not "Race nobody knows anything about but is there just because."  Will start now.

Edit:

Hey look.  Another major reason nobody bothers to uplift minor races.  Especially not anymore.
I was thinking about suggesting a pirate faction and it seems like not even they would welcome this race.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 10-05-2015

(10-04-2015, 11:27 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 05:30 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: Sorry.  Thinking out loud to see if there was even a fuck no from this little bit even.  Will write something up  at some point to benefit you all so it's not "Race nobody knows anything about but is there just because."  Will start now.

Edit:

I was thinking about suggesting a pirate faction and it seems like not even they would welcome this race.

Not everything in the universe is pretty.  I'd love to see how you design races too.  Heck, I like to see how everyone creates.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 10-06-2015

The Shiiah have been approved with the modification that their appearance throughout the galaxy be far less than it is described. They're only one species, you can't make then responsible for everything. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 10-06-2015

Of course. I can't adapt my race perfectly every time. So any required modifications are no hassle. It's a world of many after all. Yes?

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 10-08-2015

Anodynes: SILVER STOP PLAYING EVE ONLINE EDITION

The Anodynes originate from Zeti II, a planet rich in heavy elements due to it's proximity to the galactic center.

The biology of the Anodynes is rather odd. In addition to a carnivorous diet, they occasionally eat raw minerals, and rely on it. They eat through a lip-minimal mouth, which is almost invisible when closed.

They have two eyes, the white of which is the same color as the nearby skin, and their iris is non-existent, having only a pupil in the center. They cannot see reds or oranges, but can see some ultraviolet. 

The cell walls integrate the raw materials they consume, but only specific ones based on their genetics, giving their entire body a florescent color. Any other minerals are injected into blobs of skin cells, seemingly also based on genetics, giving each Anodyne a unique pattern of encrusted rock. This behavior appears to have evolved to increase each cell's protection against radiation. Their bones are entire solid crystals of the same type their cells use, and give incredible endurance and heavy shielding to the marrow.

Their blood plasma is, near literally, a dense gas, with only minor inefficiency. This has led to the misconception that they are made entirely out of gas, leading to the species slur "gasbag". 

They have no nose and do not rely on a sense of smell. They do not have external ears which are instead in a similar manner to aquatic terran mammals. 

They share these qualities with all known species on their homeworld. 

Wormhole FTL and You: Poking holes in the universe

Although incredibly useful, all natural wormholes are unstable, and appear randomly. The Anodynes solve both problems to create a web of transportation spanning their entire empire. 

The first piece of technology is the Reality Borer. A large, curved plate of Zeniua-Boruim void-inufused alloy is attached to a special ship. By running electrical current through the plate, the Zeniua "locks" the space in front of the ship to the plate, and the Boruim allows the attached space to stretch and bend through the fourth dimension, like a real wormhole. By using mathematics to calculate when and where to release the space, where the space snaps to the other side. 

The process is difficult. The Borer requires higher thrust the longer the the space stretches, and space is so resistant by itself that the shortest wormholes take a day from beginning to end to make. Even then, it must be stabilized.

Gate Rings are simple. By using the passive quality of void infused Follom, two gates at either end strech wider the wormhole, allowing ships smaller than the Ring to pass through a wormhole, as naturally they are too small to fit larger ships. A Borer can either start at a gate or the gate can be added later. One last thing must be done to have a permanent wormhole. 

To prevent collapse by enough mass passing though the wormhole, another special ship travels though the wormhole, and distributes thin rings of Follom throughout the passage. The wormhole is now stable, allowing travel in hours. 

A brief overview:

One or no gate, no rings: These collapse as normal. They're mostly used to bring the construction team to the other side. 

One or no gate, rings: Absolutely useless and seen as a waste. They can only be traversed by Frigates, but you can do the same with not wasting rings, which are irretrievable.

Two gates, no rings: By allowing the wormhole to collapse, the gate can be reconnected to another gate, allowing low traffic systems to avoid having to build another one just to service another path.

Two gates, rings: Stable, solid, and permanent. The backbone of Anodyne transport. 

There are various dangers to creating wormholes, which will be discussed later. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 10-08-2015

(10-08-2015, 06:33 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Anodynes: SILVER STOP PLAYING EVE ONLINE EDITION

The Anodynes originate from Zeti II, a planet rich in heavy elements due to it's proximity to the galactic center.

The biology of the Anodynes is rather odd. In addition to a carnivorous diet, they occasionally eat raw minerals, and rely on it. They eat through a lip-minimal mouth, which is almost invisible when closed.

They have two eyes, the white of which is the same color as the nearby skin, and their iris is non-existent, having only a pupil in the center. They cannot see reds or oranges, but can see some ultraviolet. 

The cell walls integrate the raw materials they consume, but only specific ones based on their genetics, giving their entire body a florescent color. Any other minerals are injected into blobs of skin cells, seemingly also based on genetics, giving each Anodyne a unique pattern of encrusted rock. This behavior appears to have evolved to increase each cell's protection against radiation. Their bones are entire solid crystals of the same type their cells use, and give incredible endurance and heavy shielding to the marrow.

Their blood plasma is, near literally, a dense gas, with only minor inefficiency. This has led to the misconception that they are made entirely out of gas, leading to the species slur "gasbag". 

They have no nose and do not rely on a sense of smell. They do not have external ears which are instead in a similar manner to aquatic terran mammals. 

They share these qualities with all known species on their homeworld. 

Wormhole FTL and You: Poking holes in the universe

Although incredibly useful, all natural wormholes are unstable, and appear randomly. The Anodynes solve both problems to create a web of transportation spanning their entire empire. 

The first piece of technology is the Reality Borer. A large, curved plate of Zeniua-Boruim void-inufused alloy is attached to a special ship. By running electrical current through the plate, the Zeniua "locks" the space in front of the ship to the plate, and the Boruim allows the attached space to stretch and bend through the fourth dimension, like a real wormhole. By using mathematics to calculate when and where to release the space, where the space snaps to the other side. 

The process is difficult. The Borer requires higher thrust the longer the the space stretches, and space is so resistant by itself that the shortest wormholes take a day from beginning to end to make. Even then, it must be stabilized.

Gate Rings are simple. By using the passive quality of void infused Follom, two gates at either end strech wider the wormhole, allowing ships smaller than the Ring to pass through a wormhole, as naturally they are too small to fit larger ships. A Borer can either start at a gate or the gate can be added later. One last thing must be done to have a permanent wormhole. 

To prevent collapse by enough mass passing though the wormhole, another special ship travels though the wormhole, and distributes thin rings of Follom throughout the passage. The wormhole is now stable, allowing travel in hours. 

A brief overview:

One or no gate, no rings: These collapse as normal. They're mostly used to bring the construction team to the other side. 

One or no gate, rings: Absolutely useless and seen as a waste. They can only be traversed by Frigates, but you can do the same with not wasting rings, which are irretrievable.

Two gates, no rings: By allowing the wormhole to collapse, the gate can be reconnected to another gate, allowing low traffic systems to avoid having to build another one just to service another path.

Two gates, rings: Stable, solid, and permanent. The backbone of Anodyne transport. 

There are various dangers to creating wormholes, which will be discussed later. 

Very good! The Anodynes actually sound feasable now! And, I have to ask, when you say that they all life on their planet is the same... Please tell me they have a glowing cat-like animal.
The wormhole stuff is cool though due to the process involved, I can't see them asides from pre-existing ones playing much part in the RP, unfortunately.
Also, once again, probably irrelevant to the RP but the process of void-infusion sounds interesting.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Jim_Clonk - 10-10-2015

I'm currently combining some of the ideas I had for races into one more fleshed out race. At least I would be able to contribute something, I hope.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 10-11-2015

(10-10-2015, 02:14 AM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: I'm currently combining some of the ideas I had for races into one more fleshed out race. At least I would be able to contribute something, I hope.

I await reading with baited breath.  No not sarcasm.  I really do just enjoy world building a lot.