Avali Nexus
Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=47)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 05:42 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 05:35 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: It's two very mineral-rich gas clouds connected by a bridge of gas. It's a hold-over from an earlier story arch in the original RP, if I remember how it was originally spelled. 

Also, it doesn't matter how much power they have, until the Empires recognize them, they're Spacers. It's better that way, considering it means they won't be blocked from activity in Empire space. The Pirate Kingdoms are the exception, because they're the largest group of Pirate factions. 
The Pirate Faction would probably try to stay hidden anyway. They tend to do things the smart way.

How big would these pirate "Kingdoms" be?
 Combined, big as an Empire. Remember that this RP encompasses am entire galaxy, with most of "True" Freespace being in the Upper half.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Jim_Clonk - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 05:49 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 05:42 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: The Pirate Faction would probably try to stay hidden anyway. They tend to do things the smart way.

How big would these pirate "Kingdoms" be?
 Combined, big as an Empire. Remember that this RP encompasses am entire galaxy, with most of "True" Freespace being in the Upper half.
Well, the Pirate Faction is supposed to be the biggest and most powerful group of pirates. The thing is that being in it isn't exclusive to being in any other group. Anyone in the pirate kingdoms could be a member, as could anyone from the other factions.

By the way, I have decided that the pirate faction won't get a name at all.

(11-13-2015, 06:00 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 05:49 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:  Combined, big as an Empire. Remember that this RP encompasses am entire galaxy, with most of "True" Freespace being in the Upper half.
Well, the Pirate Faction is supposed to be the biggest and most powerful group of pirates. The thing is that being in it isn't exclusive to being in any other group. Anyone in the pirate kingdoms could be a member, as could anyone from the other factions.

Nothing you just wrote makes sense. 

They can't be the biggest without attracting as much attention as the Pirate Kingdoms. 

Being just a group that have members across the galaxy makes them a scattered group that I doubt would go long without splintering, and also is not the definition of a faction. 

Them not having a name makes things confusing in-universe is just as confusing outside. 

Stop trying to make your faction too special. 

(11-13-2015, 06:10 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 06:00 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: Well, the Pirate Faction is supposed to be the biggest and most powerful group of pirates. The thing is that being in it isn't exclusive to being in any other group. Anyone in the pirate kingdoms could be a member, as could anyone from the other factions.

Nothing you just wrote makes sense. 

They can't be the biggest without attracting as much attention as the Pirate Kingdoms. 

Being just a group that have members across the galaxy makes them a scattered group that I doubt would go long without splintering, and also is not the definition of a faction. 

Them not having a name makes things confusing in-universe is just as confusing outside. 

I may also have contradicted myself there.
I'm still looking into some of the concepts of the pirate faction.

At first I wanted to have them more centralised but then I noticed that that was completely missing the point.
The ability to remain organized while still being decentralised would probably be their greatest advantage.

They would probably be named something, but not have an official name that they gave themselves. It would make sense for this.

As I've said, I still need to do some research for it.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 11-13-2015

Well, then. I can't wait to have Sirius kill slave drivers. owo
chaotic good, bitch
It'd actually give him some criminal background, too, so... That'd make things interesting.

(11-13-2015, 06:25 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 06:10 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Nothing you just wrote makes sense. 

I may also have contradicted myself there.

At first I wanted to have them more centralised but then I noticed that that was completely missing the point.
The ability to remain organized while still being decentralised would probably be their greatest advantage.

They would probably be named something, but not have an official name that they gave themselves. It would make sense for this.

Being decentralized means they will quickly splinter. It also means they won't have proper infrastructure to preform upkeep, store loot, and live. Pirates are pirates, divided they quickly squander loot and break off from the single faction they're supposed to be. 

Owning Tyron's Bridge can even give their backstory: it's a prime target for megacorps, but the locals would rather that they be free, than let the eternal machine of greed destroy their homes to harvest and refine the rich clouds. Said clouds also make for excellent cloaks for stations, asteroid bases, and entire stars, plus they hide their advancing pirate ships from a distance, electro-interference screwing with sensors and the gasses and dust blending distant objects to flat colors. 

I am attempting to help you here. I know you want to make your faction ultra-relevant, but it does nothing to improve the story. 

(11-13-2015, 06:37 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 06:25 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: I may also have contradicted myself there.

Being decentralized means they will quickly splinter. It also means they won't have proper infrastructure to preform upkeep, store loot, and live. Pirates are pirates, divided they quickly squander loot and break off from the single faction they're supposed to be. 

Owning Tyron's Bridge can even give their backstory: it's a prime target for megacorps, but the locals would rather that they be free, than let the eternal machine of greed destroy their homes to harvest and refine the rich clouds. Said clouds also make for excellent cloaks for stations, asteroid bases, and entire stars, plus they hide their advancing pirate ships from a distance, electro-interference screwing with sensors and the gasses and dust blending distant objects to flat colors. 

I am attempting to help you here. I know you want to make your faction ultra-relevant, but it does nothing to improve the story. 
I guess Tyron's Bridge would at least be a good place for one of their outposts main bases. I could place the one planet that's supposed to become relevant there.

Also, what's this talk about loot? Most equipment and goods that are "recovered" from missions will be sent to the storages and armouries of the pirate faction. (In case of special missions, the material will go straight to whatever project it is required for.) If you want some of it, you will have to requisition it from them.

(11-13-2015, 06:59 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 06:37 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Being decentralized means they will quickly splinter. It also means they won't have proper infrastructure to preform upkeep, store loot, and live. Pirates are pirates, divided they quickly squander loot and break off from the single faction they're supposed to be. 

I guess Tyron's Bridge would at least be a good place for one of their outposts main bases. I could place the one planet that's supposed to become relevant there.

Also, what's this talk about loot? Most equipment and good that are "recovered" from missions will be sent to the storages and armouries of the pirate faction. (In case of special missions, the material will go straight to whatever project it is required for.) If you want some of it, you will have to requisition it from them.

Still, good luck trying to keep your one faction from splitting into many, unless they're trying really hard to keep it all together. 

I really want to limit the size and power of player-made factions to prevent them from stealing the spotlight/hijacking the story. Right now you're trying to make galaxy-wide, powerful pirate faction that somehow avoids the eyes of anything larger than megacorps. A pirate faction could not hold anything bigger than a cluster (100-200 stars), and even then only with constant targets. Spreading them up just increases how much the leader's control is stretched, and since they will mostly live on pirated supplies (trying to sell to pirates is a bad idea) having to send those back home will bring them to the edges of their faith. 

I know you want your faction to be very important, but they're godamn Spacers. It would also be unfair to other player-made factions, if anyone bothers. 

(11-13-2015, 07:15 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 06:59 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: I guess Tyron's Bridge would at least be a good place for one of their outposts main bases. I could place the one planet that's supposed to become relevant there.

Also, what's this talk about loot? Most equipment and good that are "recovered" from missions will be sent to the storages and armouries of the pirate faction. (In case of special missions, the material will go straight to whatever project it is required for.) If you want some of it, you will have to requisition it from them.

Still, good luck trying to keep your one faction from splitting into many, unless they're trying really hard to keep it all together. 

I really want to limit the size and power of player-made factions to prevent them from stealing the spotlight/hijacking the story. Right now you're trying to make galaxy-wide, powerful pirate faction that somehow avoids the eyes of anything larger than megacorps. A pirate faction could not hold anything bigger than a cluster (100-200 stars), and even then only with constant targets. Spreading them up just increases how much the leader's control is stretched, and since they will mostly live on pirated supplies (trying to sell to pirates is a bad idea) having to send those back home will bring them to the edges of their faith. 

I know you want your faction to be very important, but they're godamn Spacers. It would also be unfair to other player-made factions, if anyone bothers. 
I think you still got the wrong idea of what they are supposed to be...

(11-13-2015, 07:23 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 07:15 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Still, good luck trying to keep your one faction from splitting into many, unless they're trying really hard to keep it all together. 

I think you still got the wrong idea of what they are supposed to be...
I think you're under the illusion that this universe is honest and lighthearted galaxy where Spacers wave to each other out the window. 

If you don't stop pushing a powerful pirate faction that's perfectly structured to assist a character in derailing the entire galaxy, they're not going in.

(11-13-2015, 07:39 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 07:23 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: I think you still got the wrong idea of what they are supposed to be...
I think you're under the illusion that this universe is honest and lighthearted galaxy where Spacers wave to each other out the window. 

If you don't stop pushing a powerful pirate faction that's perfectly structured to assist a character in derailing the entire galaxy, they're not going in.
Well, this is going nowhere.

I think I should just keep giving bits of information until it becomes clearer what the pirate faction is about. I know there is still some important information I haven't talked about yet.

(11-13-2015, 07:43 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 07:39 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: I think you're under the illusion that this universe is honest and lighthearted galaxy where Spacers wave to each other out the window. 

Well, this is going nowhere.

I think I should just keep giving bits of information until it becomes clearer what the pirate faction is about. I know there is still some important information I haven't talked about yet.
You really need to think about the problems with your current choice of structure. Pirates do not work like that, and you failing to fix the fundamental problem makes me feel that it's a deliberate attempt to have a friendly neighborhood pirate waiting at every corner to supply your character. The purpose of allowing player-made factions is to extend the background, not to buff characters. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 04:38 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Avali are among the exception, because almost nobody from Empire goes that far galactic north.
"Galactic North"
This is my new favorite direction.

(11-13-2015, 07:58 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 04:38 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Avali are among the exception, because almost nobody from Empire goes that far galactic north.
"Galactic North"
As opposed to galactic south, where all the Empires/Not-Empires-But-Only-Because-They-Are-Refused-Recognition are. 

(11-13-2015, 07:55 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 07:43 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: Well, this is going nowhere.

You really need to think about the problems with your current choice of structure. Pirates do not work like that, and you failing to fix the fundamental problem makes me feel that it's a deliberate attempt to have a friendly neighborhood pirate waiting at every corner to supply your character. The purpose of allowing player-made factions is to extend the background, not to buff characters. 
I know that I'm here to make the RP a better experience for everyone.
You can tell me about some of the issues you see and we can work them out one by one.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 08:01 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 07:58 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: "Galactic North"
As opposed to galactic south, where all the Empires/Not-Empires-But-Only-Because-They-Are-Refused-Recognition are. 

Galactic North
Galactic East
Galactic South
Galactic West
Galactic Upth
Galactic Downst

The Six Major Axes of the Galaxy, based on the center of the galaxy, and oriented so that the cardinal directions are along the disc of the galaxy, Galactic North pointing towards the direction of universal expansion. Which of the two remaining directions was Upth and which was Downst was heavily debated, and to this day there is still disagreement, however it's generally accepted by most that Galactic Upth is the direction where, if using G.North as the reference point's up, G.East is on the right of the point of reference.

Not to be confused with Universal Norst, Universal Eath, Universal Soust, Universal Weth, Universal Upst, and Universal Downth, which are based on the scientifically theorized center of the universe, and you don't even want to get into which direction is which and why.

(11-13-2015, 08:10 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 07:55 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: You really need to think about the problems with your current choice of structure. Pirates do not work like that, and you failing to fix the fundamental problem makes me feel that it's a deliberate attempt to have a friendly neighborhood pirate waiting at every corner to supply your character. The purpose of allowing player-made factions is to extend the background, not to buff characters. 
I know that I'm here to make the RP a better experience for everyone.
You can tell me about some of the issues you see and we can work them out one by one.
First off, no, supplying everyone else too,  does not better the RP. 

As a pirate faction, not only do they not have the power to maintain supply lines weaved throughout Empire (especially THE VERY PIRATE-UNFRIENDLY EMPIRE), but the very fact that they're pirates means they risk losing secrecy against the Empires, and will have massive trouble trying to keep influence amongst the native, directly supplied groups there. 

The Pirate Kingdoms are large because it's actually an extremely large clusterfuck of well-known Spacers who's government/way of life are horrible, and are always fighting. They are not one, they are not joined, and they still won't tolerate yet another group making trouble in their homeworlds.

Did I mention that, if you continue to use Tyron's Bridge as their origin, they should have absolutely no reason to expand? And don't give me "it's because they just took it over", because that just pisses of the locals who would already have turned to piracy by that point. 

(11-13-2015, 08:22 PM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 08:10 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: I know that I'm here to make the RP a better experience for everyone.
First off, no, supplying everyone else too,  does not better the RP. 

As a pirate faction, not only do they not have the power to maintain supply lines weaved throughout Empire (especially THE VERY PIRATE-UNFRIENDLY EMPIRE), but the very fact that they're pirates means they risk losing secrecy against the Empires, and will have massive trouble trying to keep influence amongst the native, directly supplied groups there. 

The Pirate Kingdoms are large because it's actually an extremely large clusterfuck of well-known Spacers who's government/way of life are horrible, and are always fighting. They are not one, they are not joined, and they still won't tolerate yet another group making trouble in their homeworlds.

Did I mention that, if you continue to use Tyron's Bridge as their origin, they should have absolutely no reason to expand? And don't give me "it's because they just took it over", because that just pisses of the locals who would already have turned to piracy by that point. 
Ok let's see here...

1. Why do you think they are supplying everyone?

2. Yes, keeping up their supply routes will be difficult and they probably have to avoid space that is heavily controlled by the Empire or whoever else doesn't like them.

3. Sounds like the pirate kingdoms are pretty much the opposite of that the pirate faction is. (Like it's supposed to be.) If they don't like them, that's their problem.

4. They don't really have a reason to expand anyway. They only "expand" if they have to, to support and protect their own. Then again, they don't really have any "territory" they control.

(11-13-2015, 08:44 PM)Jim_Clonk Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 08:22 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: First off, no, supplying everyone else too,  does not better the RP. 

Ok let's see here...

1. Why do you think they are supplying everyone?

2. Yes, keeping up their supply routes will be difficult and they probably have to avoid space that is heavily controlled by the Empire or whoever else doesn't like them.

3. Sounds like the pirate kingdoms are pretty much the opposite of that the pirate faction is. (Like it's supposed to be.) If they don't like them, that's their problem.

4. They don't really have a reason to expand anyway. They only "expand" if they have to, to support and protect their own. Then again, they don't really have any "territory" they control.
1. I meant everyone as in characters. I seriously cannot fathom why you would continue to write a broken faction, so I'm assuming the character you want to make will have a position of power within it that will give them the ability to use the supplies of all the friendly pirates you're trying to justify being out there. 

2. Think about how pirates work. They usually stick to an area, patrol it, pirate anything that moves, and bring it back to a nearby home base, they also choose areas they are local to because their knowledge gives them tactical advantage. This is the fundamental pirate. 

3. The Pirate Kingdoms do have some pirate groups there. Remember that propaganda is powerful and can influence how someone is viewed. 

4. If they don't expand unless necessary, then why spread out across the galaxy? Gas collection and refinery requires expensive technology, which can be sold on black markets via merchants they can sign ally deals with, and the supplies meant to support the harvesting teams will definitely support them.

Restriction on making factions: your upcoming character cannot belong to a faction you have made. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 08:18 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(11-13-2015, 08:01 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: As opposed to galactic south, where all the Empires/Not-Empires-But-Only-Because-They-Are-Refused-Recognition are. 

Galactic North
Galactic East
Galactic South
Galactic West
Galactic Upth
Galactic Downst

The Six Major Axes of the Galaxy, based on the center of the galaxy, and oriented so that the cardinal directions are along the disc of the galaxy, Galactic North pointing towards the direction of universal expansion. Which of the two remaining directions was Upth and which was Downst was heavily debated, and to this day there is still disagreement, however it's generally accepted by most that Galactic Upth is the direction where, if using G.North as the reference point's up, G.East is on the right of the point of reference.

Not to be confused with Universal Norst, Universal Eath, Universal Soust, Universal Weth, Universal Upst, and Universal Downth, which are based on the scientifically theorized center of the universe, and you don't even want to get into which direction is which and why.

You forgot Universal Weast.