Avali Nexus
Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=47)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Joeythomas - 08-17-2015

When and where will the roleplay resume?

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 09:50 PM)Joeythomas Wrote: When and where will the roleplay resume?

If you had read anything you would know that we're working on it.
I.E. When it's ready and where we decide.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 08-18-2015

(08-17-2015, 09:42 PM)Umbra Wrote: So yeah.
Ghosts that are actually otherdimensional beings.

Maybe we should make it so that they can't physically interact with living creatures? Perhaps they can only be seen and talked to, not touched?

Well it's less otherdimensional beings and more honest-to-goodness souls.

But yeah spooky stuff in a sci-fi game. 

That was already there. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 12:56 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: Well it's less otherdimensional beings and more honest-to-goodness souls.

But yeah spooky stuff in a sci-fi game. 

That was already there. 

Hey, just checking.
We are going with the Not-Quite-Bill-Cipher thing, right? Illusiony stuff?

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Jim_Clonk - 08-18-2015

While I don't know if I will join the RP or not, I could still share some of my ideas, right?
I think I have some at least somewhat interesting concepts.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - L3W - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 11:02 AM)Jim_Clonk Wrote: While I don't know if I will join the RP or not, I could still share some of my ideas, right?
I think I have some at least somewhat interesting concepts.

I think it would be fine. So, what did you have in mind? 

So, is this RP going to take place in the past, present, or the future? I mean we should build a crazy back story where we all died, but got reincarnated or maybe we were all in cryogenic freezing pods and someone woke us up. I mean I just suggesting ideas and I understand if you don't want to do that.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 10:00 PM)L3W Wrote: So, is this RP going to take place in the past, present, or the future? I mean we should build a crazy back story where we all died, but got reincarnated or maybe we were all in cryogenic freezing pods and someone woke us up. I mean I just suggesting ideas and I understand if you don't want to do that.

We're really just reworking the lore and "plot" of the previous iteration.

Also, I think I might give Sirius a new last name... Only problem is that I'm terrible at coming up with names.

(08-18-2015, 10:03 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 10:00 PM)L3W Wrote: So, is this RP going to take place in the past, present, or the future? I mean we should build a crazy back story where we all died, but got reincarnated or maybe we were all in cryogenic freezing pods and someone woke us up. I mean I just suggesting ideas and I understand if you don't want to do that.

Also, I think I might give Sirius a new last name... Only problem is that I'm terrible at coming up with names.

I joined so early and then lost interest like midway through it. So, I don't really remember too much about the lore and plot except Abraxis. I am glad it's being reworked though.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SharpTeeth - 08-19-2015

(08-17-2015, 05:01 AM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(08-17-2015, 04:52 AM)Marxon Wrote: I do think there should be balance to magic too, like it has a cost or physical requirement of the user. Say telekinesis burns up calories like a bitch and you either have to eat like a pig or have a good bit of extra padding to do it frequently without organ deterioration.

Other forms of "magic" should avoid spontaneous generation and easy to access pocket dimensions. Controlling electricity for example would be incredibly dangerous even to the wielder, fireball throwers would still themselves burn.

Also, i say no to allowing any form of grey goo due to how rediculously high tech, dangerous, and abusable it is. A human sized blob of the stuff would cost more money than probably exists in any one bank account.

Why the hell do some people keep on suggesting magic? I mean, if you wanted magic and technology you should have just played a game of Shadowrun.

Seriously though, I just don't feel like magic is right. It's ridiculously open ended and revolves around hand waving everything that could be thought of. I'm not saying I'm going for hard science, but full on, "fireball fireball fireball ice ice ice" isn't what I'm looking for in a space opera.

You can just get augments to shoot fire out of your palms anyways, but you're bringing the fuel too.

While I do think going for a magic structure within a story such as this wouldn't fit the tone, I wouldn't necessarily call magic open ended. A huge portion of setting up a structured narrative comes from setting boundaries and allowing certain exceptions. There are entire pages on tvtropes dedicated to extraordinarily well defined/limited variants of magic. Even in science based stories, there are humongous amounts of gratuitous hand-waving, for example, if you could shoot out fire, you would have to mind thermal conductivity, the toxic mix of gasses generated by incineration, and avoiding having the user be cooked by extremely close use of a thermal weapon. A large portion of telling tales is knowing when to not to adhere to reality and instead have a little fun with what you got. Trying to pass off that reality bending as gospel, however...... that is another thing.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Joeythomas - 08-19-2015

(08-18-2015, 10:03 PM)Umbra Wrote:

Welcome to my world.

Also Omolon character sheet.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 03:03 AM)SharpTeeth Wrote: While I do think going for a magic structure within a story such as this wouldn't fit the tone, I wouldn't necessarily call magic open ended. A huge portion of setting up a structured narrative comes from setting boundaries and allowing certain exceptions. There are entire pages on tvtropes dedicated to extraordinarily well defined/limited variants of magic. Even in science based stories, there are humongous amounts of gratuitous hand-waving, for example, if you could shoot out fire, you would have to mind thermal conductivity, the toxic mix of gasses generated by incineration, and avoiding having the user be cooked by extremely close use of a thermal weapon. A large portion of telling tales is knowing when to not to adhere to reality and instead have a little fun with what you got. Trying to pass off that reality bending as gospel, however...... that is another thing.

And we can't forget this gem of an explanation!

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 03:33 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 03:03 AM)SharpTeeth Wrote: While I do think going for a magic structure within a story such as this wouldn't fit the tone, I wouldn't necessarily call magic open ended. A huge portion of setting up a structured narrative comes from setting boundaries and allowing certain exceptions. There are entire pages on tvtropes dedicated to extraordinarily well defined/limited variants of magic. Even in science based stories, there are humongous amounts of gratuitous hand-waving, for example, if you could shoot out fire, you would have to mind thermal conductivity, the toxic mix of gasses generated by incineration, and avoiding having the user be cooked by extremely close use of a thermal weapon. A large portion of telling tales is knowing when to not to adhere to reality and instead have a little fun with what you got. Trying to pass off that reality bending as gospel, however...... that is another thing.

And we can't forget this gem of an explanation!

Considering Void energy is a similarly bullshit pseudo-science I made to explain things like gaining speed from Newtonian physics being applied to light, I think we basically have magic that is not magic but is but isn't but is science but is not but is limited but basically works with anything.

That's actually kind of frightening. Keep a small part of it defined or you got yourself a roving plot hole. Yeah, it can be used for anything, but then again, it can be used for anything, including solving all your character's problems.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - L3W - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 03:33 AM)Umbra Wrote: And we can't forget this gem of an explanation!

I got a kick out of the Zelda comic ones!  Big Grin

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 03:43 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: Considering Void energy is a similarly bullshit pseudo-science I made to explain things like gaining speed from Newtonian physics being applied to light, I think we basically have magic that is not magic but is but isn't but is science but is not but is limited but basically works with anything.

So our own little version of Mass Effect.

Yeah, we really need to refine this... As dumb as it may seem, it's actually a really good idea to put constraints on everything so there isn't something with no constraints that can be exploited.

(08-19-2015, 03:49 AM)SharpTeeth Wrote: That's actually kind of frightening. Keep a small part of it defined or you got yourself a roving plot hole. Yeah, it can be used for anything, but then again, it can be used for anything, including solving all your character's problems.

Thankfully, nobody put two and two together and tried to do that.

You should see some D&D players, or hell, even try hosting a forum adventure. People do love to try and break things eventually. Watching and fixing plot and world building is something of a habit/job for me. If there are any potential problems you feel you might run into, run them past me; while I'm not one for roleplaying, I have helped others iron out their universes, and love to watch interactions within these occur. (heck, even regular stories. Just don't let the criticism bother you.)

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 04:02 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 03:43 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: Considering Void energy is a similarly bullshit pseudo-science I made to explain things like gaining speed from Newtonian physics being applied to light, I think we basically have magic that is not magic but is but isn't but is science but is not but is limited but basically works with anything.

So our own little version of Mass Effect.

Yeah, we really need to refine this... As dumb as it may seem, it's actually a really good idea to put constraints on everything so there isn't something with no constraints that can be exploited.

(08-19-2015, 03:49 AM)SharpTeeth Wrote: That's actually kind of frightening. Keep a small part of it defined or you got yourself a roving plot hole. Yeah, it can be used for anything, but then again, it can be used for anything, including solving all your character's problems.

Thankfully, Void Energy actually cannot do anything. By itself, the worst it can do is give you horrible medical conditions.

I'm not selling this very good, am I?

In order for it to actually do anything, you need to gather it up, and infuse it with stuff. The resulting effect depends on what you just infused it with, and it cares about pure elements, not compounds. I've barely documented it, but it has a limited amount of stuff it will actually do, because a limited amount of things actually make it do stuff.

Nickel, in the case of Hard-Light engines, is lucky. Get one big slab of nickel (Try taller than a human, and thicker than a bookcase), infuse it with void energy (which is very, very sparse and needs specialized operations and tools to gather), and run light past it, and voila! Opposite reaction from light! The engines are hilariously expensive though (but that can be said of anything involving void energy), and you need tons of them to anywhere. You can't even make one huge engine, because the speed output doesn't scale very well, leaving you with even lesss speed than if you had tons of little engines.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Jim_Clonk - 08-19-2015

I just thought about the communications aspect and the interstellar communications nodes.
It was said that systems would have one communications node orbiting the star. However, they should have three to make sure the whole system always has coverage, no matter where a ship is.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Marxon - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 04:49 AM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 04:02 AM)Umbra Wrote: So our own little version of Mass Effect.

Thankfully, Void Energy actually cannot do anything. By itself, the worst it can do is give you horrible medical conditions.

I'm not selling this very good, am I?

In order for it to actually do anything, you need to gather it up, and infuse it with stuff. The resulting effect depends on what you just infused it with, and it cares about pure elements, not compounds. I've barely documented it, but it has a limited amount of stuff it will actually do, because a limited amount of things actually make it do stuff.

Nickel, in the case of Hard-Light engines, is lucky. Get one big slab of nickel (Try taller than a human, and thicker than a bookcase), infuse it with void energy (which is very, very sparse and needs specialized operations and tools to gather), and run light past it, and voila! Opposite reaction from light! The engines are hilariously expensive though (but that can be said of anything involving void energy), and you need tons of them to anywhere. You can't even make one huge engine, because the speed output doesn't scale very well, leaving you with even lesss speed than if you had tons of little engines.
Idea: Void metal weapons.

-causes energy drain and deterioration of any object it cuts into/has friction with, ie corrodes metal and turns tissue necrotic.

-INCREDIBLY hard to forge and nigh impossible to melt even with the heat of a sun, prevents practical use in disposable, projectile, and most modern weapons, only blades and arrowheads are viable.

-it's leeching ability can drain power from electronics, and sap strength from organic life, released as radiation and heat

What do you think, valid application for it?