Avali Nexus
Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=47)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 12-05-2015

(12-05-2015, 07:56 AM)Ippikos Wrote: So this RP here is not directly linked to this one?

Not in the slightest. Feel free to jump in if you want; it's not absolutely chaotic this time around.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - DaBayleySaur - 12-05-2015

I'm trying to remake Hymnote's species, but make them better. I'm currently trying to make their homeworld and I'm kinda throwing around ideas for it. What do you think I should do? So far I've got:
Rogue Planet
Moon of a gas giant
Just an ordinary Planet
A tidally locked Planet
And a planet that lost its magnetic field, forcing most of its species underground.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 12-07-2015

(12-05-2015, 10:43 PM)DaBayleySaur Wrote: I'm trying to remake Hymnote's species, but make them better. I'm currently trying to make their homeworld and I'm kinda throwing around ideas for it. What do you think I should do? So far I've got:
Rogue Planet
Moon of a gas giant
Just an ordinary Planet
A tidally locked Planet
And a planet that lost its magnetic field, forcing most of its species underground.
Magnetic field lost? All of those planets are possible. 

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - DaBayleySaur - 12-13-2015

Will the planets have designations like in Star Wars? Such as Coreworlds, and stuff like that.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 12-14-2015

(12-13-2015, 11:07 PM)DaBayleySaur Wrote: Will the planets have designations like in Star Wars? Such as Coreworlds, and stuff like that.

I can almost imagine some planet named "The Dangerous Place" because someone thought it was actually a good name.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 02:56 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 11:07 PM)DaBayleySaur Wrote: Will the planets have designations like in Star Wars? Such as Coreworlds, and stuff like that.

I can almost imagine some planet named "The Dangerous Place" because someone thought it was actually a good name.

I really hope this actually becomes a thing, where whoever was (accidentally) put in charge of the naming is the worst at naming things.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 06:28 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 02:56 AM)Umbra Wrote: I can almost imagine some planet named "The Dangerous Place" because someone thought it was actually a good name.

I really hope this actually becomes a thing, where whoever was (accidentally) put in charge of the naming is the worst at naming things.
A few planets get special names but most get something resembling the system name, like FIXUI54-II. Add another roman numeral for moons.

Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - kawaiiChiimera - 12-14-2015

so what's happening
can I have a summary

Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - kawaiiChiimera - 12-14-2015

...ok.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 12-19-2015

(12-14-2015, 06:28 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 02:56 AM)Umbra Wrote: I can almost imagine some planet named "The Dangerous Place" because someone thought it was actually a good name.

Such as the capitol city of Dungheap, with the Wintered Winnebago Tavern, And the nearby garden town of Ashes.

I've asked for a summary a couple times as well.  Doesn't seem to be a happenin' that, well, happens.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Shaadaris - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 09:32 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 06:28 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: I really hope this actually becomes a thing, where whoever was (accidentally) put in charge of the naming is the worst at naming things.
Such as the capitol city of Dungheap, with the Wintered Winnebago Tavern, And the nearby garden town of Ashes.

I've asked for a summary a couple times as well.  Doesn't seem to be a happenin' that, well, happens.

I'm sure someone would give you a summary if anyone was willing to go through the last 33 pages and actually find and summarize all relevant information in one place... Which will be nessessary one day if we're ever going to get anywhere.
Seriously, someone make a Google Drive for this. It worked last time and will be useful this time if we integrate it further and make more people aware of its existence.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 09:41 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(12-19-2015, 09:32 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: Such as the capitol city of Dungheap, with the Wintered Winnebago Tavern, And the nearby garden town of Ashes.

I'm sure someone would give you a summary if anyone was willing to go through the last 33 pages and actually find and summarize all relevant information in one place... Which will be nessessary one day if we're ever going to get anywhere.
Seriously, someone make a Google Drive for this. It worked last time and will be useful this time if we integrate it further and make more people aware of its existence.

If someone makes a google drive, better keep backups.  Why?  Assholes.  That is all.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Ehksidian - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 09:45 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(12-19-2015, 09:41 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: I'm sure someone would give you a summary if anyone was willing to go through the last 33 pages and actually find and summarize all relevant information in one place... Which will be nessessary one day if we're ever going to get anywhere.

If someone makes a google drive, better keep backups.  Why?  Assholes.  That is all.

that's why you only allow specific people to edit, like how the old document was.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 12-20-2015

(12-19-2015, 11:31 PM)Ehksidian Wrote:
(12-19-2015, 09:45 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: If someone makes a google drive, better keep backups.  Why?  Assholes.  That is all.

that's why you only allow specific people to edit, like how the old document was.
Hooray for complex file permissions! \o wo/

But seriously it would be nice if I didn't have condense, overwrite, point out conflicts, and write it all up myself.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Ehksidian - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 04:43 AM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(12-19-2015, 11:31 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: that's why you only allow specific people to edit, like how the old document was.
Hooray for complex file permissions! \o wo/

But seriously it would be nice if I didn't have condense, overwrite, point out conflicts, and write it all up myself.

i might be able to fluff stuff up again, so long as some base details are provided. idk.
might not be able to, since i'll be getting xenoblade x next week and that will take ALL my time

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 12-20-2015

(12-20-2015, 04:51 AM)Ehksidian Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 04:43 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: Hooray for complex file permissions! \o wo/

i might be able to fluff stuff up again, so long as some base details are provided. idk.
might not be able to, since i'll be getting xenoblade x next week and that will take ALL my time
If you need base details you can always ask.

Just because I'm procrastinating on doing the next section doesn't mean I'll refuse to answer.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Lost Rinoah - 12-20-2015

The advantage is it's own disadvantage of limiting control of the drive-file. Though benefits outweigh weaknesses.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 12-27-2015

FACTIONAL CONFLICT UPDATES: STOP PROCRASTINATING EDITION

Anodyne factional conflict:

The political situation is unstable. Each senator is uneasy, watching, waiting for the worst. The States' ignorance in side effects has resulted in some of the worst environmental disasters in years, and the process of invention is slowly tapering off. Engineering has been the lifeblood of the the Suncore States, but the almost religious rivalry with the Hylotian Empire has brought no new hope to the Engineer's "whatever works" mantra. In this time you feel desperate, to understand why.

This faction is, similar to the hylotl, neither easy nor hard to play. They have tons of technology for a variety of situations, but they all come with side effects or holes in their function. Their people are the most practical, and can preform the most hands-on actions, but must ask many questions. Their conflict is not involved in the main arc.

Worlds factional conflict:

Sometimes you wish someone out there would listen. The United Worlds has been the shining beacon of universal rights that we all deserve, but with no-one to see it, spacer, megacorporation, and false-flag hylotl raids never stop coming. Everyone plays dumb on the outside, wondering why the faction who should be aspired to is attacked like wild dogs, but secretly admits there is no end to greed that fuels the raider's engines. But there has to be something that could change this, put the United Worlds on the maps where it deserves, if only someone could find it.

This faction is difficult to play. They have much unique technology, but most of it is incompatible with each other, and you still have many areas it is lacking in. A mixture of a thousand cultures, you hear and learn many things when you live in the Worlds, and have to ask few questions, but not as few as the Hylotl. Their conflict is somewhat involved in the main arc.

Spacer factional conflict:

Factional conflict? What faction? The Freespace has always been about individuality. Our own problems, our own revelations. But throughout each Spacer's life, there comes a time when they look far above and see fruit hanging from the branches of the Empires. One day, they all say, we'll bring down not just a slice, but the whole fruit, seed and all, down to our earth to eat and grow a tree of our own. And with all the midlife crisis those empires are going through, the time seems ripe to make a dream of Eden come true.

This faction is also difficult to play. Spacers lack most things empires have, although what's missing is rarely considered "basic", except by rich suits. You know what you know by ear, and may need more than a few questions to figure out what the hell is going on. Their "conflict" is the least involved in the arc.

• The last Factional conflict introductions
  • Character examples (to avoid a mercenary rush)
  • Character partial examples (to make interesting characters with story hooks) 
  • Augmentations

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - SilverOtter - 12-28-2015

PLAN B: Less rebirth, more spaceships

So that's not working out.

(12-27-2015, 08:59 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: That being said, what do you think of a straighter SciFi RP, where everyone starts as the crew aboard one of a intersolar civilization's first interstellar-capable ships? Oh wait that's part of the plot to Homeworld isn't it

No Psi, no weird particles that basically do magic, no convoluted ancient alien mystery that hints at how much railroading is probably going happen. 

(12-27-2015, 11:35 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Roughly, the game would play out as an RPG version of Star Trek tOS, except it isn't the captain's job to solve everything (mostly because he's to busy keeping the ship from tipping over), it's yours. Look at strange new worlds through the bridge windows, cause diplomatic incidents with more advanced civilizations, and have to use the other locker room because someone sealed an alien in the only other one nearby.

(12-27-2015, 11:55 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: But it would also have to be big enough to justify having a large number of nameless nondescript NPCs to retcon into players who join late or do stuff too boring to roleplay.

Therefore, Deep Space Exploration Battlecruiser.

There would be multiple sapient species to choose from that just happen to be the ones you want to play. There is no explanation for this because even if I did it later it would still be made up on the spot.

Since you would be the crew aboard the ship, you will need a job. This ranges from the exciting, such as gunners, who fire bullets and maternal insults at various enemy spacecraft, and explorers, who actually go down to planet surfaces and bring stuff back while avoiding dying, to the boring, like cooks, who will really just be sitting around socializing with everyone while the space souffle finishes, and guards, who really don't do anything unless the explorers bring back a hostile artifact or something. No you can't be a merc.

I'll also just re-use the systems we were going to use before.

(12-27-2015, 11:59 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: I don't mean for it to very straight sci-fi, because then the entire thing (superluminal speeds, anyone?) would be impossible, but I would like to avoid "explaining" eldrich beings that created a do-anything particle. Just think "slightly harder Star Trek".

Example: Instead of being armed with a Phazer, with the settings "stun", "shoot", and "kill", you have a gun, with the settings "no bullet", "bullet", and "more bullet".

(12-28-2015, 12:10 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: Well, theoretically, but I'm pretty sure screwing with the fabric of spacetime to "accelerate" beyond light speed without actually gaining or losing any speed isn't possible.

This is roughly the basics of what we need, besides a bit of setup time.

RE: Nexus "Serious" RP Revival Discussion - Umbra - 12-28-2015

(12-28-2015, 01:04 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: PLAN B: Less rebirth, more spaceships

So that's not working out.

This is roughly the basics of what we need, besides a bit of setup time.

I'm okay with either way.