Avali Nexus
Nexus RP: Rebirth - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus RP: Rebirth (/showthread.php?tid=62)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-04-2016

(02-03-2016, 11:38 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "I appreciate it. Hopefully on the surface I can find work and be able to pay you back. It sounds like there would be plenty of jobs building homes for people now that the surface is able to support life again."

She stands and walks with him over to the shuttle pass machine, her golden hair trailing gently behind her. Standing 6 feet tall she was indeed slightly taller than he was, and waked with a gentle grace to her curvy body, but kept her white robe neatly wrapped around her body to stay modest.

"No, no, don't worry about paying me back. I'm not very spend-y, so 'loaning' some money to a friend or newcomer isn't a problem for me."
He takes out his wallet and slides a card through a slot.
"Are you planning on coming back up any time during the week?"

(02-04-2016, 12:00 AM)Joeythomas Wrote: *the rift collapses in a ball of blinding light, electromagnet energy, radiation aswell as other forms of enegry*
"Did it work?!" He yells.

As soon as the rift disappears, the containment sphere disappears and the Guards get to work packing the track back up.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 02-04-2016

"Probably. Once I find where I'l be staying and get my first paycheck I'll need to come back up to get groceries and the like, unless all of that is already available on the surface."

(02-04-2016, 12:52 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: "Probably. Once I find where I'l be staying and get my first paycheck I'll need to come back up to get groceries and the like, unless all of that is already available on the surface."

"There's stores down there, but they're not as chock-full of things as the ones up here... I'll just get you a week pass." Umbra taps one of the buttons on-screen.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Comito - 02-04-2016

(02-04-2016, 12:39 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 12:00 AM)Joeythomas Wrote: *the rift collapses in a ball of blinding light, electromagnet energy, radiation aswell as other forms of enegry*

As soon as the rift disappears, the containment sphere disappears and the Guards get to work packing the track back up.

When the  noises died down and the dome dissipated, Gregor sighs with relief. He had been watching from one of the paths surrounding the town, too curious to leave just yet.

Now that it all appeared to be said and done, he turned and started walking again. Everything seemed peaceful again, putting the Jakkai's mind at ease, but he couldn't help but think about how prepared the Guards were for such an event. Did things like that happen on a regular basis, he wondered?

That and other thoughts crossed his mind as he went on his way, walking somewhat aimlessly but steadily gravitating back toward Wurg's house.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Joeythomas - 02-04-2016

(02-04-2016, 12:39 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 11:38 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "I appreciate it. Hopefully on the surface I can find work and be able to pay you back. It sounds like there would be plenty of jobs building homes for people now that the surface is able to support life again."

She stands and walks with him over to the shuttle pass machine, her golden hair trailing gently behind her. Standing 6 feet tall she was indeed slightly taller than he was, and waked with a gentle grace to her curvy body, but kept her white robe neatly wrapped around her body to stay modest.

"No, no, don't worry about paying me back. I'm not very spend-y, so 'loaning' some money to a friend or newcomer isn't a problem for me."
He takes out his wallet and slides a card through a slot.
"Are you planning on coming back up any time during the week?"

"I believe I'm no longer needed, unless told otherwise."
*the enhanced avali drags a decent sized shard of the balck metal towards the town, passing Gregor* 

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 02-04-2016

((So just out of random I thought I would have a go at a Nexus 17 world map. (Note I haven't added any detail. At most some major lakes and rivers are shown.)
I didn't look at any posts regarding 17's nature while doing it, so this is likely completely off of how it would look.
Also, since nothing is known about the Calamity really I took creative liberties with one of the effects being half a continent vanishing. Of course, it also rendered the remaining land uninhabitable, but on a two-color satellite map that isn't very noticable. I probably should have done something to the water level but trying to change it after having made the map just looked bad in general each time.

))

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Midnight_Moonglow - 02-04-2016

Quote:She smiled happily and slowly lead the way towards Room 6 looking up to the signs that were on the outside of the doors. She hmmed softly placing a paw on her chin lightly.

"hmmm 1.... 2..."

Tourmaline was walking beside her friend looking out for the number 6

"Hmmm its gotta be here somewhere owo"

(02-04-2016, 06:12 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((So just out of random I thought I would have a go at a Nexus 17 world map. (Note I haven't added any detail. At most some major lakes and rivers are shown.)
I didn't look at any posts regarding 17's nature while doing it, so this is likely completely off of how it would look.
Also, since nothing is known about the Calamity really I took creative liberties with one of the effects being half a continent vanishing. Of course, it also rendered the remaining land uninhabitable, but on a two-color satellite map that isn't very noticable. I probably should have done something to the water level but trying to change it after having made the map just looked bad in general each time.

))

// Ooh, looks good.
// I'm going to cover The Calamity later- it'll have a huge role in plot I'm developing for next thread.
// later today, I will define magic classes! Woo! They're not limitations (mostly), but more of an organization effort and classification system.

(02-04-2016, 12:54 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 12:52 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: "Probably. Once I find where I'l be staying and get my first paycheck I'll need to come back up to get groceries and the like, unless all of that is already available on the surface."

"There's stores down there, but they're not as chock-full of things as the ones up here... I'll just get you a week pass." Umbra taps one of the buttons on-screen.

"Much appreciated." She smiles, very gently giving him a hug.

(02-04-2016, 04:03 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "Much appreciated." She smiles, very gently giving him a hug.

"You're-"
He stops talking and slightly freezes up once hugged.
"u-Uh... You're welcome..." It seems like he wasn't expecting that at all.
The pass prints out of a slot on the machine, and Umbra rips it out and hands it to Danu.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Corosar - 02-04-2016

(02-04-2016, 03:36 PM)Midnight_Moonglow Wrote:
Quote:She smiled happily and slowly lead the way towards Room 6 looking up to the signs that were on the outside of the doors. She hmmed softly placing a paw on her chin lightly.

"hmmm 1.... 2..."

Tourmaline was walking beside her friend looking out for the number 6

"Hmmm its gotta be here somewhere owo"

"5.... ahh here we are!~"

She smiled and nodded lightly as she pointed at the 6 above the door heading in and taking a seat.

(02-04-2016, 04:32 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 04:03 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "Much appreciated." She smiles, very gently giving him a hug.

"You're-"
He stops talking and slightly freezes up once hugged.
"u-Uh... You're welcome..." It seems like he wasn't expecting that at all.
The pass prints out of a slot on the machine, and Umbra rips it out and hands it to Danu.

"Thank you. I should wait here with you for it to be ready to board then?" She takes the pass and looks it over, holding it carefully.

(02-04-2016, 06:56 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "Thank you. I should wait here with you for it to be ready to board then?" She takes the pass and looks it over, holding it carefully.

It has a barcode and a shiny patch of some sort, as well as some numbers and letters. Sort of like a bus pass.
"Well, not here. The dock I need to be at is down the hall some."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 02-04-2016

(02-04-2016, 03:51 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 06:12 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((So just out of random I thought I would have a go at a Nexus 17 world map. (Note I haven't added any detail. At most some major lakes and rivers are shown.)

))

// Ooh, looks good.
// I'm going to cover The Calamity later- it'll have a huge role in plot I'm developing for next thread.
// later today, I will define magic classes! Woo! They're not limitations (mostly), but more of an organization effort and classification system.

((Cool! Y'know I could probably spend some time and make a canon map for Nexus 17 if one is wanted. We could even add details like city locations, mountain ranges, that kind of thing, so people would have a good idea what is where.
Also, magic classes are always interesting, though here's a question - does magic work the way it does in someone's native universe for them, or when they enter the Nexus/Eden universe do they have to get used to the new laws of magic?

Also, I looked at the SRSBSNSS RP and just realized I may have subconciously stolen a character name from Segolia >.<))

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-05-2016

(02-04-2016, 11:53 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 03:51 PM)Umbra Wrote: // Ooh, looks good.

((Cool! Y'know I could probably spend some time and make a canon map for Nexus 17 if one is wanted. We could even add details like city locations, mountain ranges, that kind of thing, so people would have a good idea what is where.
Also, magic classes are always interesting, though here's a question - does magic work the way it does in someone's native universe for them, or when they enter the Nexus/Eden universe do they have to get used to the new laws of magic?

Also, I looked at the SRSBSNSS RP and just realized I may have subconciously stolen a character name from Segolia >.<))

// welp.
// I'm gonna cover that in a bit, actually. Once I get home, I'm gonna write the thing.

(( Just gonna leave this here so I don't have to add OOC slashes to the start of everything.

All right! Let's talk about Magic Classification.

Before the portals were created, Nexus 17 didn't have any mages, wizards, or the like, despite the fact that it was perfectly possible. Once the first few portals were created, though, the first magic users started settling and sharing what they knew. Over time, a consensus of the more powerful magic users formed an organization that came to be known as the Magus Bureau (which is now a sub-unit of the Guards like the High Guards, but more detached), which went on to both classify and research magic. Aspiring magic users can visit their headquarters on the Eden to see if they are able to use magic, receive training, and report their own findings and/or knowledge of what they practice.

Through their research, they found that practically any kind of magic from any of the connected worlds still worked normally in theirs, but not in other worlds outside Nexus' and the 'parent' world. In other words, if (for example) a Cleric came into Nexus' world from their home world, their healing spells and other magical powers would still work. If they went into a different world other than their own from there, however, they would find that all their power has simply disappeared. When they return to Nexus' world, their powers are restored.

Now, let's talk about classification. Both magic and the magic users themselves are classified into groups. I'll start with magic.
There are four groups of magic: Destruction, Creation, Midrange, and Manipulation.
Destruction is the home of your basic harmful spells such as pyromancy. It is also the most commonly found class of magic.
Creation consists of uncommonly found magic that creates or heals. This class tends to be the most nonlethal. Things like healing spells and summoning are classified here, as well as Illusion spells, which didn't quite make the cut for Manipulation class.
Midrange is a class that lies between Creation and Destruction, as some forms of magic have aspects of both. Cryomancy and the ability to create energy-based constructs fall under this catagory, along with other forms of magic. It's considered rarer than Creation-class magic, as fewer of these kinds of mages have been found than healers and the like.
Finally, the Manipulation class is the rarest and usually considered the most potent. Powerful techniques such as transmutation and even telekinesis are found here. Manipulation mages are very rare and usually watched- or in some cases, recruited- by the High Guards to make sure they don't do anything extremely harmful or dangerous.
Yes, most overpowered magic types fall under Manipulation, as they all tend to be manipulating something in some way, whether it's time, space, or matter.

Mages themselves are classified into a main class and a 1 to 5-star rank.
The main classes are Varied, Balanced, and Potent.
Varied mages use a wide range of weaker spells. They aren't as magically strong as the other two classes, but are much more adaptable due to their relatively large roster of spells. This class also tends to use multiple non-Manipulation magic classes.
Balanced mages are the sweet spot between Varied and Potent, with a moderate level of magical strength and a moderate amount of spells at their disposal.
Finally, Potent mages have an extremely limited amount of spells or abilities- most likely less than three or four- but said powers tend to be some of the strongest or have a wider range of use than other, weaker spells. Most Manipulation mages fit in this category- the most famous of which being The Sergeant. (shh, spoilers!)

That's pretty much it. Just some guidelines for magic- not really any restrictions, other than try not to put too many Manipulation mages out there. It'd be nice if we can avoid large cases of power creep like what happened last time. ))

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Midnight_Moonglow - 02-05-2016

Quote:"5.... ahh here we are!~"

She smiled and nodded lightly as she pointed at the 6 above the door heading in and taking a seat.

Tourmaline follows and finds the nearest place to sit.

"how are you feeling coro?"

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 01:26 AM)Umbra Wrote: (( Just gonna leave this here so I don't have to add OOC slashes to the start of everything.

All right! Let's talk about Magic Classification.

Before the portals were created, Nexus 17 didn't have any mages, wizards, or the like, despite the fact that it was perfectly possible. Once the first few portals were created, though, the first magic users started settling and sharing what they knew. Over time, a consensus of the more powerful magic users formed an organization that came to be known as the Magus Bureau (which is now a sub-unit of the Guards like the High Guards, but more detached), which went on to both classify and research magic. Aspiring magic users can visit their headquarters on the Eden to see if they are able to use magic, receive training, and report their own findings and/or knowledge of what they practice.

Through their research, they found that practically any kind of magic from any of the connected worlds still worked normally in theirs, but not in other worlds outside Nexus' and the 'parent' world. In other words, if (for example) a Cleric came into Nexus' world from their home world, their healing spells and other magical powers would still work. If they went into a different world other than their own from there, however, they would find that all their power has simply disappeared. When they return to Nexus' world, their powers are restored.

Now, let's talk about classification. Both magic and the magic users themselves are classified into groups. I'll start with magic.
There are four groups of magic: Destruction, Creation, Midrange, and Manipulation.
Destruction is the home of your basic harmful spells such as pyromancy. It is also the most commonly found class of magic.
Creation consists of uncommonly found magic that creates or heals. This class tends to be the most nonlethal. Things like healing spells and summoning are classified here, as well as Illusion spells, which didn't quite make the cut for Manipulation class.
Midrange is a class that lies between Creation and Destruction, as some forms of magic have aspects of both. Cryomancy and the ability to create energy-based constructs fall under this catagory, along with other forms of magic. It's considered rarer than Creation-class magic, as fewer of these kinds of mages have been found than healers and the like.
Finally, the Manipulation class is the rarest and usually considered the most potent. Powerful techniques such as transmutation and even telekinesis are found here. Manipulation mages are very rare and usually watched- or in some cases, recruited- by the High Guards to make sure they don't do anything extremely harmful or dangerous.
Yes, most overpowered magic types fall under Manipulation, as they all tend to be manipulating something in some way, whether it's time, space, or matter.

Mages themselves are classified into a main class and a 1 to 5-star rank.
The main classes are Varied, Balanced, and Potent.
Varied mages use a wide range of weaker spells. They aren't as magically strong as the other two classes, but are much more adaptable due to their relatively large roster of spells. This class also tends to use multiple non-Manipulation magic classes.
Balanced mages are the sweet spot between Varied and Potent, with a moderate level of magical strength and a moderate amount of spells at their disposal.
Finally, Potent mages have an extremely limited amount of spells or abilities- most likely less than three or four- but said powers tend to be some of the strongest or have a wider range of use than other, weaker spells. Most Manipulation mages fit in this category- the most famous of which being The Sergeant. (shh, spoilers!)

That's pretty much it. Just some guidelines for magic- not really any restrictions, other than try not to put too many Manipulation mages out there. It'd be nice if we can avoid large cases of power creep like what happened last time. ))

((Ooo, very cool! I like it! I also like how you actually took the time to go through and color-categorize. Dedication!
If I tried to categorize a couple of my characters, it'd probably fall into this:
??? (Unintroduced): Potent Midrange
??? (Unintroduced): N/A; no magical talent, presumably?
SCYNMIRKIRAELO NILREM, BRILLIANT VISIONARY USELESS SORCERER: N/A; no magical talent. This was different once before, and he had what would probably be classified as Manipulation or Creation magic and, well let's just say the source of his power led to a ridiculous power boost. Keyword: Had. He now has magical abilities similar to how a granite slab has dancing abilities, except the slab is far better at it.
RIOE Nilrem: N/A; no magical talent.
Elijah Serilunial: Potent Destruction, though he's VERY rusty.
Ezekiel Vketunr: Balanced Creation
??? (Unintroduced): Eldritch Manipulation, does nothing with this power and doesn't intend to do anything with it. This character will also show up probably only once, briefly. Essentially 753 level powers. This won't really come up at all, though, and at most would be mentioned in passing.
??? (Unintroduced): Eldritch Reality Warping. This one-ups the last. Don't ask. The character herself will probably only be mentioned at most. So yes, while I do have a couple of intentionally completely OP characters, they're mostly there for background flavour stuff, and WILL NOT have an effect on the RP (asides from maybe involving one of my other characters, slightly, and that doesn't even involve their magic) so don't worry. Only reason I'm even counting them as characters is because they are vaguely relevant and do have backstories themselves.

(02-05-2016, 02:46 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((Ooo, very cool! I like it! I also like how you actually took the time to go through and color-categorize. Dedication!
If I tried to categorize a couple of my characters, it'd probably fall into this:
SCYNMIRKIRAELO NILREM, BRILLIANT VISIONARY USELESS SORCERER: N/A; no magical talent. This was different once before, and he had what would probably be classified as Manipulation or Creation magic and, well let's just say the source of his power led to a ridiculous power boost. Keyword: Had. He now has magical abilities similar to how a granite slab has dancing abilities, except the slab is far better at it.
??? (Unintroduced): Eldritch Manipulation, does nothing with this power and doesn't intend to do anything with it. This character will also show up probably only once, briefly. Essentially 753 level powers. This won't really come up at all, though, and at most would be mentioned in passing.
??? (Unintroduced): Eldritch Reality Warping. This one-ups the last. Don't ask. The character herself will probably only be mentioned at most. So yes, while I do have a couple of intentionally completely OP characters, they're mostly there for background flavour stuff, and WILL NOT have an effect on the RP (asides from maybe involving one of my other characters, slightly, and that doesn't even involve their magic) so don't worry. Only reason I'm even counting them as characters is because they are vaguely relevant and do have backstories themselves.

// Ah, nice. Guess I'll do the same for mine.
// Umbra is classified as a Balanced Destruction mage- more specifically, 3.5-star Cryomancy.
// His Anomaly form, however, is a 4-star Potent Midrange mage due to the added weapon summoning and what I've decided to call Eyes of Cacophony.
// Syntax and the unidentified Glitch are both non-magic users.
// And finally, since I've already kinda spoiled him... The Sergeant is a 5(possibly even 6 if it existed)-star Potent Manipulation mage. You'll find out why later. Much later.

// Fun Fact: at first, I wanted to catagorize the mages with Lesser, Balanced, and Greater with the subclasses Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, and Master, but I decided the former seemed a little demeaning/exaggerating and that the latter was a little wordy and old-fashioned.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 03:06 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 02:46 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((Ooo, very cool! I like it! I also like how you actually took the time to go through and color-categorize. Dedication!

// Ah, nice. Guess I'll do the same for mine.
// Umbra is classified as a Balanced Destruction mage- more specifically, 3.5-star Cryomancy.
// His Anomaly form, however, is a 4-star Potent Midrange mage due to the added weapon summoning and what I've decided to call Eyes of Cacophony.
// Syntax and the unidentified Glitch are both non-magic users.
// And finally, since I've already kinda spoiled him... The Sergeant is a 5(possibly even 6 if it existed)-star Potent Manipulation mage. You'll find out why later. Much later.
((That reminds me, what of the star system? Is it a linear or exponential increase? Can you give an example of magnitude of difference between a 1 and 2 star, and a 1 and 5 star?))

(02-05-2016, 03:06 AM)Umbra Wrote: // Fun Fact: at first, I wanted to catagorize the mages with Lesser, Balanced, and Greater with the subclasses Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, and Master, but I decided the former seemed a little demeaning/exaggerating and that the latter was a little wordy and old-fashioned.
((*Can't stop thinking The Elder Scrolls now*))