Avali Nexus
Nexus RP: Rebirth - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus RP: Rebirth (/showthread.php?tid=62)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 03:19 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((That reminds me, what of the star system? Is it a linear or exponential increase? Can you give an example of magnitude of difference between a 1 and 2 star, and a 1 and 5 star?))

((*Can't stop thinking The Elder Scrolls now*))

// It's basically just power level. Think of 1 as Apprentice and 5 as Master.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Lost Rinoah - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 03:19 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 03:06 AM)Umbra Wrote: // Ah, nice. Guess I'll do the same for mine.
// Umbra is classified as a Balanced Destruction mage- more specifically, 3.5-star Cryomancy.
// His Anomaly form, however, is a 4-star Potent Midrange mage due to the added weapon summoning and what I've decided to call Eyes of Cacophony.
// Syntax and the unidentified Glitch are both non-magic users.
// And finally, since I've already kinda spoiled him... The Sergeant is a 5(possibly even 6 if it existed)-star Potent Manipulation mage. You'll find out why later. Much later.
((That reminds me, what of the star system? Is it a linear or exponential increase? Can you give an example of magnitude of difference between a 1 and 2 star, and a 1 and 5 star?))

(02-05-2016, 03:06 AM)Umbra Wrote: // Fun Fact: at first, I wanted to catagorize the mages with Lesser, Balanced, and Greater with the subclasses Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, and Master, but I decided the former seemed a little demeaning/exaggerating and that the latter was a little wordy and old-fashioned.
((*Can't stop thinking The Elder Scrolls now*))
//Star system probably is just a general example for the benefit of others type thing.  As an intelligent 1 star who is overly witty can and WILL repeatedly defeat 5s if they're smart.  ETC.  No?

(02-05-2016, 03:25 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: //Star system probably is just a general example for the benefit of others type thing.  As an intelligent 1 star who is overly witty can and WILL repeatedly defeat 5s if they're smart.  ETC.  No?

(02-05-2016, 03:25 AM)Umbra Wrote: // It's basically just power level. Think of 1 as Apprentice and 5 as Master.

// Shaad was also right in that it's possible to rank up.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 02:46 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:

So, with the new info let's try this again...
Also a few other misc edits.

S---- (Unintroduced): Potent Midrange *x5
K-------------- (Unintroduced): Possible Magic
SCYNMIRKIRAELO NILREM, AMAZING MAGNIFICENT POWERLESS SORCERER: No Magic
RIOE Nilrem: No Magic
Elijah Serilunial: Potent Destruction *x2, used to be *x4
Ezekiel Vketunr: Balanced Creation *x5
E----- (Unintroduced): Eldritch Manipulation
T------ (Unintroduced): Eldritch Reality Warping
Scynmirkiraelo (Past): Eldritch Creation

Bonus Round:

// I just realized I misclassed Umbra as destruction. Dammit, Skyrim.
// He's supposed to be Midrange because Cryomancy goes there.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Corosar - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 01:26 AM)Umbra Wrote: (( Just gonna leave this here so I don't have to add OOC slashes to the start of everything.

All right! Let's talk about Magic Classification.

Before the portals were created, Nexus 17 didn't have any mages, wizards, or the like, despite the fact that it was perfectly possible. Once the first few portals were created, though, the first magic users started settling and sharing what they knew. Over time, a consensus of the more powerful magic users formed an organization that came to be known as the Magus Bureau (which is now a sub-unit of the Guards like the High Guards, but more detached), which went on to both classify and research magic. Aspiring magic users can visit their headquarters on the Eden to see if they are able to use magic, receive training, and report their own findings and/or knowledge of what they practice.

Through their research, they found that practically any kind of magic from any of the connected worlds still worked normally in theirs, but not in other worlds outside Nexus' and the 'parent' world. In other words, if (for example) a Cleric came into Nexus' world from their home world, their healing spells and other magical powers would still work. If they went into a different world other than their own from there, however, they would find that all their power has simply disappeared. When they return to Nexus' world, their powers are restored.

Now, let's talk about classification. Both magic and the magic users themselves are classified into groups. I'll start with magic.
There are four groups of magic: Destruction, Creation, Midrange, and Manipulation.
Destruction is the home of your basic harmful spells such as pyromancy. It is also the most commonly found class of magic.
Creation consists of uncommonly found magic that creates or heals. This class tends to be the most nonlethal. Things like healing spells and summoning are classified here, as well as Illusion spells, which didn't quite make the cut for Manipulation class.
Midrange is a class that lies between Creation and Destruction, as some forms of magic have aspects of both. Cryomancy and the ability to create energy-based constructs fall under this catagory, along with other forms of magic. It's considered rarer than Creation-class magic, as fewer of these kinds of mages have been found than healers and the like.
Finally, the Manipulation class is the rarest and usually considered the most potent. Powerful techniques such as transmutation and even telekinesis are found here. Manipulation mages are very rare and usually watched- or in some cases, recruited- by the High Guards to make sure they don't do anything extremely harmful or dangerous.
Yes, most overpowered magic types fall under Manipulation, as they all tend to be manipulating something in some way, whether it's time, space, or matter.

Mages themselves are classified into a main class and a 1 to 5-star rank.
The main classes are Varied, Balanced, and Potent.
Varied mages use a wide range of weaker spells. They aren't as magically strong as the other two classes, but are much more adaptable due to their relatively large roster of spells. This class also tends to use multiple non-Manipulation magic classes.
Balanced mages are the sweet spot between Varied and Potent, with a moderate level of magical strength and a moderate amount of spells at their disposal.
Finally, Potent mages have an extremely limited amount of spells or abilities- most likely less than three or four- but said powers tend to be some of the strongest or have a wider range of use than other, weaker spells. Most Manipulation mages fit in this category- the most famous of which being The Sergeant. (shh, spoilers!)

That's pretty much it. Just some guidelines for magic- not really any restrictions, other than try not to put too many Manipulation mages out there. It'd be nice if we can avoid large cases of power creep like what happened last time. ))

Corosar "Corunei" Karkarn - Varied Midrange N/A / Potent Manipulation 3
Manipulation - her ability to sense and manipulate souls. She never learned to resist the intensity of seeing souls and will become intensely exhausted from heavy use of soul sight. Soul manipulation covers the ability to delve into dreams and resist the ability to mind control her. Her soul retains her own mind and will recover her natural state over time should her will break to a mental attack preventing permanent mind control to effect her. She uses her soul abilities as a self defense and rarely as a means of offense preferring physical methods of overcoming a situation.

She has the potential to learn Aura based magics however she has never had training and as such is unable to form spells at this time. should time come in the future and there is a proper teacher of the ability to manipulate the energies of nature. She can learn to produce spells that are fueled by the natural world. Her ship runs on a portable Aura reactor and requires no refueling however her ship can't be a source of aura energy.
(02-05-2016, 02:02 AM)Midnight_Moonglow Wrote:
Quote:"5.... ahh here we are!~"

She smiled and nodded lightly as she pointed at the 6 above the door heading in and taking a seat.

Tourmaline follows and finds the nearest place to sit.

"how are you feeling coro?"
She slowly closed her eyes and sighed softly massaging her hear.

"Honestly... very nervous... actually... while i may be a doctor.. i personally was not much for doctor's visits. especially with something so critical as the neural systems."

// by the way, uh... You don't actually have to declare character magical classification if you don't want to.
// it was more of just a worldbuildy thing and something to consider.
// you also don't have to color code classes- I only did that to be fancy >w>;;

(02-05-2016, 05:22 PM)Umbra Wrote: // by the way, uh... You don't actually have to declare character magical classification if you don't want to.

// I am declaring it right out of the gate as to show the absolute full limits of Corosar's abilities. I rather people call me out on inconsistencies in the future that know of all her abilities at her peak. While she is from a family of Grim reapers in her homeworld. She is yet to be formally trained as such. Only enough to know how to control her abilities and prevent them from going out of control. While she has the potential to become a really powerful reaper... it will not happen in the time of this RP as in her world it takes thousands of years of training and practice before even being able to classify as a true reaper instead of being soul attuned.... i use this excuse to keep Coro from being so powerful as to break the laws of nature.. i very much don't want to crush people with making a god character..

(02-05-2016, 05:35 PM)Corosar Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 05:22 PM)Umbra Wrote: // by the way, uh... You don't actually have to declare character magical classification if you don't want to.

// I am declaring it right out of the gate as to show the absolute full limits of Corosar's abilities. I rather people call me out on inconsistencies in the future that know of all her abilities at her peak. While she is from a family of Grim reapers in her homeworld. She is yet to be formally trained as such. Only enough to know how to control her abilities and prevent them from going out of control. While she has the potential to become a really powerful reaper... it will not happen in the time of this RP as in her world it takes thousands of years of training and practice before even being able to classify as a true reaper instead of being soul attuned.... i use this excuse to keep Coro from being so powerful as to break the laws of nature.. i very much don't want to crush people with making a god character..

// well, yeah, I understand that... It was just a general PSA so everyone knows it isn't required.
// doesn't mean you can't still use it, of course.

(02-05-2016, 06:01 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 05:35 PM)Corosar Wrote: // I am declaring it right out of the gate as to show the absolute full limits of Corosar's abilities. I rather people call me out on inconsistencies in the future that know of all her abilities at her peak. While she is from a family of Grim reapers in her homeworld. She is yet to be formally trained as such. Only enough to know how to control her abilities and prevent them from going out of control. While she has the potential to become a really powerful reaper... it will not happen in the time of this RP as in her world it takes thousands of years of training and practice before even being able to classify as a true reaper instead of being soul attuned.... i use this excuse to keep Coro from being so powerful as to break the laws of nature.. i very much don't want to crush people with making a god character..

// well, yeah, I understand that... It was just a general PSA so everyone knows it isn't required.
// doesn't mean you can't still use it, of course.

// ahh yea i understand ^w^

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 02-05-2016

((I just thought it'd be fun :p))

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-06-2016

Umbra takes a seat on a nearby bench.
"So, uh... Guess we should wait for the shuttle to arrive, miss... Uh..."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 02-06-2016

"Danu. And your name?" 

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-07-2016

(02-06-2016, 11:51 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "Danu. And your name?" 

"Umbra. You might hear some people call me, uh... Something else, but... That's what I prefer. Umbra, that is."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 02-07-2016

"Ah. Umbra will do nicely then. You live here? Or on the surface."

She takes another look around the spacedock, a shuttle was arriving at one of the docking platforms.

(02-07-2016, 12:49 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: "Ah. Umbra will do nicely then. You live here? Or on the surface."

She takes another look around the spacedock, a shuttle was arriving at one of the docking platforms.

"The surface. After so much time up here, I got really sick of living in a tight, crowded space station."
He looks at the shuttle currently docking.
"Oh, there's the shuttle I need to take. You're coming with me, right?"

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 02-07-2016

"I was planning to yes." She nods, starting towards it with him.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Ehksidian - 02-07-2016

The shuttle station wasn't very packed at this time. In fact, there were very few people there - probably because a shuttle had just left.

Wurg sat on a bench and twiddled her thumbs. She had barely missed the shuttle, and thus had to wait. First time in a while she had missed it, too. Oh well. The waits weren't too long, usually...

(02-07-2016, 01:56 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: "I was planning to yes." She nods, starting towards it with him.

They both reach the gate and are able to board the shuttle without any further processes needed. It looks a lot like a bus on the inside, with hard seats and plastic handles hanging from the ceiling.
Umbra decides to stay standing and grab a handle.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Corosar - 02-07-2016

She continued to sit in the office in the hospital when she looked up to the doctor and smiled

"Corunei? if i am correct"

The doctor was a standard male avali with rather dull green and blue feathers carrying a clipboard as he looked at it.

"y... yea its me i am here fo..."

"You need a neural jack repair if i am reading this correctly"

"u... urmm y...yea."