Avali Nexus
Nexus RP: Rebirth - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus RP: Rebirth (/showthread.php?tid=62)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 04-08-2016

(04-07-2016, 12:37 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "I need to get another box of white front power sockets and a roll of 12-3 MX wire. Pretty standard stuff, I know where it is on the shelf." Danu makes her way over to the electrical section to get it.
"Well that's great, since I don't know what a 12-3 MX wire is."

(04-07-2016, 04:37 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 04:40 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: "Figured out?"

"Yeah, I... It's kinda complicated. Mostly because I don't know a lot about myself..."
"Complicated... I know the feeling. I have had quite enough complicated for two lifetimes... Or maybe make that three."
Quote:
Quote:"Are you looking for something in particular?"

"Yes. I need several yards of wire and more scrap metal." Syntax leans in and mutters: "Different parts of power armor plating and chassis would also suffice if you have them."
"Okay, yes, I can do that." He goes behind the counter and off to a shelf in the back, coming back with a large pile of neatly tied wires and some scrap of various kinds. "Any of this look like what you need? We've got iron, tungsten... I think that's some sort of brass. Lots of aluminum. A small supply of titanium... and... uh... I think there were more. For wires we've got everything under most suns somewhere around here." He scratches his chin for a moment. "And power armor plating... I would have to check. I think we had some a while back. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. One moment." He heads into the back room for a moment.
"Yes, it seems we have some. Do you need any specific parts?"

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Surge - 04-08-2016

(*checks in with an unsolicited "expert" opinion*
"Power armor plates" would refer to an alloy plate slightly heavier than a standard infantry plate but cheaper than vehicle plating, in this context a shop would likely offer moderate amounts of various different alloys from various sources, with each having a different blend of weight, ease of work, durability against various threats, and cost per ton.)

(04-08-2016, 12:56 AM)Surge Wrote: (*checks in with an unsolicited "expert" opinion*
"Power armor plates" would refer to an alloy plate slightly heavier than a standard infantry plate but cheaper than vehicle plating, in this context a shop would likely offer moderate amounts of various different alloys from various sources, with each having a different blend of weight, ease of work, durability against various threats, and cost per ton.)

((And Elijah knows very little about anything mechanical. He runs the store. Ezekiel is the one who actually knows what is what.
And yes, both are aware of how terrible that system is.))

(I offered that more for the benefit of players than characters honestly)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 04-08-2016

(04-08-2016, 12:49 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: "Complicated... I know the feeling. I have had quite enough complicated for two lifetimes... Or maybe make that three."

"Hum. Yeah, my existence alone is pretty mind-boggling... It's especially hard to figure out what I am because scanners don't work."

Quote:"Okay, yes, I can do that." He goes behind the counter and off to a shelf in the back, coming back with a large pile of neatly tied wires and some scrap of various kinds. "Any of this look like what you need? We've got iron, tungsten... I think that's some sort of brass. Lots of aluminum. A small supply of titanium... and... uh... I think there were more. For wires we've got everything under most suns somewhere around here." He scratches his chin for a moment. "And power armor plating... I would have to check. I think we had some a while back. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. One moment." He heads into the back room for a moment.

"No. As far as metal goes, though... Do you have anything light, but durable?"

(04-08-2016, 12:56 AM)Surge Wrote: (*checks in with an unsolicited "expert" opinion*

(04-08-2016, 01:30 AM)Surge Wrote: (I offered that more for the benefit of players than characters honestly)

// Duly noted.

(I could lecture extensively on the merits of weight vs durability in body armor and how an actuated "power" frame around the wearer affects those dynamics but I think I'll spare you guys that unless somebody wants me to)

(04-08-2016, 03:48 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 12:49 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: "Complicated... I know the feeling. I have had quite enough complicated for two lifetimes... Or maybe make that three."

"Hum. Yeah, my existence alone is pretty mind-boggling... It's especially hard to figure out what I am because scanners don't work."
He snaps to attention. "Don't work? I could probably... No, wait, you probably would not want more tests done on you."
A small "ding" comes from his tablet, which he looks at, typing something in it then putting it back away.

Quote:
Quote:"Okay, yes, I can do that." He goes behind the counter and off to a shelf in the back, coming back with a large pile of neatly tied wires and some scrap of various kinds. "Any of this look like what you need? We've got iron, tungsten... I think that's some sort of brass. Lots of aluminum. A small supply of titanium... and... uh... I think there were more. For wires we've got everything under most suns somewhere around here." He scratches his chin for a moment. "And power armor plating... I would have to check. I think we had some a while back. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. One moment." He heads into the back room for a moment.

"No. As far as metal goes, though... Do you have anything light, but durable?"

"Umm... Hold on." He pulls out a tablet from under the counter and types something in. A few moments later, there's a ding. He looks at the tablet, nods, and puts it back away.
"Well my business partner reccommends Titanium, if you want it for a decent price and a good strength to weight ratio."

((I spent too long trying to find strong/light metals. Surprisingly, Titanium was probably one of the cheapest and best combinations. There was also some kind of steel which has the same strength/weight as Titanium but cheaper, but it doesn't have a name far as I can tell. Microlattices are cool, strong for their weight (which is lighter than real-life Aerogel which is insane, but due to that weight not being much, while the strength/weight ratio is good, actual strength, not so much. Also considered introducing a fake metal, but I was too lazy to bother coming up with a name at the moment.))

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 04-08-2016

(04-08-2016, 06:23 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: He snaps to attention. "Don't work? I could probably... No, wait, you probably would not want more tests done on you."
A small "ding" comes from his tablet, which he looks at, typing something in it then putting it back away.

"No, no, it's fine. The painful tests only related to what could hit me when, uh... In 'anomaly phase,' as they put it."

Quote:"Umm... Hold on." He pulls out a tablet from under the counter and types something in. A few moments later, there's a ding. He looks at the tablet, nods, and puts it back away.
"Well my business partner reccommends Titanium, if you want it for a decent price and a good strength to weight ratio."

((I spent too long trying to find strong/light metals. Surprisingly, Titanium was probably one of the cheapest and best combinations. There was also some kind of steel which has the same strength/weight as Titanium but cheaper, but it doesn't have a name far as I can tell. Microlattices are cool, strong for their weight (which is lighter than real-life Aerogel which is insane, but due to that weight not being much, while the strength/weight ratio is good, actual strength, not so much. Also considered introducing a fake metal, but I was too lazy to bother coming up with a name at the moment.))

"How big are the plates?"

(don't forget about ease of work, some materials are extremely desirable in most ways but chew through heavy machinery back at the factory.)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Lost Rinoah - 04-08-2016

(04-08-2016, 04:37 PM)Surge Wrote: (don't forget about ease of work, some materials are extremely desirable in most ways but chew through heavy machinery back at the factory.)

//Often requiring the machines to be made out of the same thing to even work them.  Steel machines working on steel plates as a real life example.  Titanium is extremely desirable due to it being easy to mine(though rare), easily formed into alloys, and strength/weight ratios.  It's general weakness is that it makes metals weak to "crumpling", impacts.  Which is why if you use it for plating it better be rounded to increase it's resistance to such things.  Angled titanium doesn't work very well, although it can work if you create the steel-titanium alloys with between 50-65% steel 25% titanium, and the remaining percentage filler metals.  It provides excellent strength and weight ration for relatively low cost.  It's an armor alloy, non-aircraft, not desirable for vehicles either since they can handle more weight for more strength.  Making it a general infantry plate in the absence of replaceable ceramic plates.  However it is astoundingly effective when applied to machine assisted suits.  In starbound it's called durasteel for a reason.  But that's still a general 50/50 mix which is used in our space based orbitals currently. oh right, to mention. Titanium is an extremely friction resistant powder-form metal that is almost always found already in alloy form, or rust. Which is why it is found as a powder.//

(04-08-2016, 09:12 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 04:37 PM)Surge Wrote: (don't forget about ease of work, some materials are extremely desirable in most ways but chew through heavy machinery back at the factory.)

//Often requiring the machines to be made out of the same thing to even work them.  Steel machines working on steel plates as a real life example.  Titanium is extremely desirable due to it being easy to mine(though rare), easily formed into alloys, and strength/weight ratios.  It's general weakness is that it makes metals weak to "crumpling", impacts.  Which is why if you use it for plating it better be rounded to increase it's resistance to such things.  Angled titanium doesn't work very well, although it can work if you create the steel-titanium alloys with between 50-65% steel 25% titanium, and the remaining percentage filler metals.  It provides excellent strength and weight ration for relatively low cost.  It's an armor alloy, non-aircraft, not desirable for vehicles either since they can handle more weight for more strength.  Making it a general infantry plate in the absence of replaceable ceramic plates.  However it is astoundingly effective when applied to machine assisted suits.  In starbound it's called durasteel for a reason.  But that's still a general 50/50 mix which is used in our space based orbitals currently. oh right, to mention. Titanium is an extremely friction resistant powder-form metal that is almost always found already in alloy form, or rust. Which is why it is found as a powder.//
(Inconel was the example I was thinking of, it's highly sought after in aviation as I understand but working it slashes the lifespan of equipment involved to tiny fractions of what should otherwise be expected.
Another example, although diamond is one of the toughest materials on earth it would make poor armor due to the tendency of it to simply shatter instead of bending and warping like non-crystalline materials.)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Lost Rinoah - 04-09-2016

(04-08-2016, 09:42 PM)Surge Wrote: (Inconel was the example I was thinking of, it's highly sought after in aviation as I understand but working it slashes the lifespan of equipment involved to tiny fractions of what should otherwise be expected.
Another example, although diamond is one of the toughest materials on earth it would make poor armor due to the tendency of it to simply shatter instead of bending and warping like non-crystalline materials.)

//Inconel isn't optimal for armor or plating however.  Especially on infantry.  But yeah, it is a good example of something that is a lot more expensive due to machining costs.

Diamond is bad as armor for the same reason iron technically is.  Yes.  It shatters on it's stress markers.  (Laughably one due to the other.  IE high carbon content in iron.)  And while on one hand it would make the ideal material for things like crash vests and helmets(with padding beneath). Meant to take one big hit and a bunch of small ones before being discarded.  For actual armor ceramic, cheap and replacable while fulfilling the same ideal.  Is better fit for it.  Plus it is easy to re-use the discarded material and simply re-fire the plates.  Pottery is nice.  Thus ceramics.  For all your cheap armor needs.  EXTREME heat resistance.  Absorbs all physical force in every direction from impacts.  And really cheap so replaceable easily.  You can even run armor consisting of two ceramic plates with a steel plate between and on the outside of each.  Makes some really nice stuff.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 04-09-2016

(04-08-2016, 02:31 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 06:23 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: He snaps to attention. "Don't work? I could probably... No, wait, you probably would not want more tests done on you."

"No, no, it's fine. The painful tests only related to what could hit me when, uh... In 'anomaly phase,' as they put it."
"I have heard that word... Anomaly. What exactly do you mean?"

Quote:
Quote:"Umm... Hold on." He pulls out a tablet from under the counter and types something in. A few moments later, there's a ding. He looks at the tablet, nods, and puts it back away.

"How big are the plates?"

((Are you trying to torture me?))
"About one foot each, I think." ((I don't freaking know how big they should be. I went with "probably good enough to cover most things and be cut to cover the rest decently"))

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 04:40 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: "I have heard that word... Anomaly. What exactly do you mean?"

"Mostly referring to spatial anomaly. It's the theory the scientists came up with due to the 'can't scan' thing, as well as a few other, ah... Well, impossible qualities."

Quote:((Are you trying to torture me?))
"About one foot each, I think." ((I don't freaking know how big they should be. I went with "probably good enough to cover most things and be cut to cover the rest decently"))

// No?...
Syntax shrugs. "Good enough, I suppose. I'll take some."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 04-09-2016

(04-08-2016, 12:49 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 12:37 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "I need to get another box of white front power sockets and a roll of 12-3 MX wire. Pretty standard stuff, I know where it is on the shelf." Danu makes her way over to the electrical section to get it.
"Well that's great, since I don't know what a 12-3 MX wire is."

"You don't? This is the stuff." She holds up a coil of flexible metallic conduit with 3 conductors inside, having the colors black white and green. "Its pretty commonplace though for wiring power sockets."

She waits near the counter to check out.

//Ugh, Titanium. Light as aluminum, but harder to machine than stainless steel. I've broken a few tools on that before.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Lost Rinoah - 04-09-2016

A few hours in the day passed.  He fed himself on the re-appropriated chits, bought himself a small satchel to carry at his hip with a leather belt of a dull brown tone.  And now he found himself near the edge of town.  Town guardsmen patrolled actively about the edges of town.  It was as if they were waiting for something.  His eyes lit softly aglow blue.  Barely noticeable as he settled down for the first night,  Choosing now to finally think on the many odd races he'd seen.  To dwell on whether he had a past anymore that he could even remember.  All began to quiet as time passed and those who lived in the town began to settle as well.  A guard approached him, as he'd been sitting alone for hours. 

"Hello sir.  You should head home, it isn't too safe about the edges of town."  It was stated simply, no-nonsense.  Like it should be obvious but he's repeating it for it's own sake.

"Why would I go home?"  He uttered 'home' guttural low, his rasp unnerving the guard slightly.  

"It's safer here."
  He'd replaced, now correcting his tone.  "You can leave." 

The guard eyed him in a sideways glance.  "You're not allowed to be out here after dark." 

"Then I'll be out THERE."  Zeureis stood, stalking straight out of town in a dash until the guard refused to follow. 

"Shit..."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 05:17 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 04:40 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: "I have heard that word... Anomaly. What exactly do you mean?"

"Mostly referring to spatial anomaly. It's the theory the scientists came up with due to the 'can't scan' thing, as well as a few other, ah... Well, impossible qualities."
"I have seen enough impossible to know that impossible does not exist."

Quote:
Quote:((Are you trying to torture me?))

// No?...
Syntax shrugs. "Good enough, I suppose. I'll take some."
"Okay." He goes into the back and comes back carrying a sack of plates. "There are twenty in here. I don't know if it's enough but it's all we have in stock currently."

He looks down at his tablet and presses a few buttons. "That will be... Apparently quite steep. 120000¤... Of course, these have been sitting in the back for months, so I can probably give you a discount if it means finally selling them. How does 60000¤ sound?"

(04-09-2016, 02:22 PM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 12:49 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: "Well that's great, since I don't know what a 12-3 MX wire is."

"You don't? This is the stuff." She holds up a coil of flexible metallic conduit with 3 conductors inside, having the colors black white and green. "Its pretty commonplace though for wiring power sockets."

She waits near the counter to check out.

//Ugh, Titanium. Light as aluminum, but harder to machine than stainless steel. I've broken a few tools on that before.

"And what you've gathered will probably come to..." He checks the tablet again. "2250¤"

((*¤ is an arbitrary currency I'm using since I have no idea what cost they would be in the primary currency of the station.))

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 04-10-2016

(04-09-2016, 08:38 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: "I have seen enough impossible to know that impossible does not exist."

"I dunno, you might be surprised. I'd show you if we weren't in public."

Quote:"Okay." He goes into the back and comes back carrying a sack of plates. "There are twenty in here. I don't know if it's enough but it's all we have in stock currently."

He looks down at his tablet and presses a few buttons. "That will be... Apparently quite steep. 120000¤... Of course, these have been sitting in the back for months, so I can probably give you a discount if it means finally selling them. How does 60000¤ sound?"

Syntax lets out a small blip of distress as his eyes increase in vertical resolution.
"Uh. Maybe a cheaper metal? I do not know if that is within my budget, considering I still have a lot to do..."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Timtimthe2nd - 04-10-2016

//Umm......so I know I kinda dropped off of the face of the forum a while ago, but I'm back. Anybody willing to help catch me up?

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 05:20 AM)Timtimthe2nd Wrote: //Umm......so I know I kinda dropped off of the face of the forum a while ago, but I'm back. Anybody willing to help catch me up?

// Oh, hi! We timeskipped, Shaad is actually doing things and getting comfortable with characters... Other than that, not much.