Avali Nexus
Nexus RP: Rebirth - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus RP: Rebirth (/showthread.php?tid=62)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 01:55 AM)Rahizel Wrote: *paws at the door and whines briefly*

Umbra shows up behind the house and lays down the old blankets. He also leaves out a bowl of water.
"There. That should do for now..." He heads back inside and actually goes to bed.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Rahizel - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 02:17 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 01:55 AM)Rahizel Wrote: *paws at the door and whines briefly*

Umbra shows up behind the house and lays down the old blankets. He also leaves out a bowl of water.
"There. That should do for now..." He heads back inside and actually goes to bed.
*chirps and runs to the water, picking up the bowl as it sits on its haunches and sipping it*

*the gryphon just wanders about town, endlessly curious with everything it encounters*

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - achroma - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 01:50 AM)Umbra Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 01:31 AM)achroma Wrote: "That's unfortunate, also your friends are here."
*the living armor aproches the base, awed by the hard light shields*
"The being your looking for is over there, trying to hide from this remanant group."

"Uh... Thanks."
The three cloaked beings keep climbing.

Something seems... Off in the near distance. What appears to be a large, moving shadow is advancing up the mountainside. The Guards haven't noticed yet, and neither have the Anomalies.

*the entity quickly Checks the sky, then returns to looking at the shadow*

"That does not look good, it's either another eclipse or somethings comming for our guests. And I believe an eclipse won't happen until next year. Whatever this is, I'll fight besides you, since you haven't payed you debt yet, I'll get a majority of the spoils if there is any.* 

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Lost Rinoah - 06-02-2016

(05-27-2016, 02:40 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:     He paid no attention to the figure's response to him, passing by.  He was just screwing with them a bit after all.  

To pass Time today Zeurei had decided walking the streets would be a good way to relax, sleeping now would end up with him fading off and awaking in the middle of the night.  It was not the prime time to build his connections, with no underground, he'd be hard pressed to do more than stare at the sky at such hours.  

And so it was that he felt a familiar tingle at the back of his spine.  He felt nothing except a twinge of familiarity, for anyone else, they'd have felt nothing at all.  But to him, he instantly knew it.  His sister, he turned around, looking about, and then again turned.   People walked the streets, but none turned out to be his sister.  Well, until he saw far in the distance that slight glimmer.  

There was no way he'd reach her, she'd be gone long before then, but he could at least follow her footsteps.  He smiled, and waved.  To anyone else he looked mad, waving at seemingly nobody for her distance from himself, but she would know.  And he darted off after a brief period where he scanned her back.  He saw her dart off, and continued towards her previous position.
//Feel free to not read this if you do not want to.  As It's me discovering my own characters.

People hurried ever on as he walked along, step by step until the rain had began to mask the sky.  He was slightly unnerved by it, honestly.  As it ran off of his clothing like the cloth was made of plastic. 

Soon enough he'd ended up arriving where he'd seen her, but would the rain and many footsteps cover her trail?  No, luckily for him, she'd taken a nearby alleyway less traveled.  Extending  his sight slightly beyond himself, he entered the alleyway slowly, prepared for any possible sneak attack by her.  Well, at least he thought he was. 

Her trail went cold suddenly down the alleyway.  Drawing him to look up, noting the sky as darker than simply a storm would allow, it was late then.  And other than that.  A bucket of collected rain water. 

"!&@%"  He'd cursed unintelligibly as it covered him, piercing right into his clothing.  And it was COLD too. 

"Zeureis!  Dammit!  I could handle once, but twice?!  And not even a hello?!"  "What, you don't count that as a hello?"  Her response was overly sweet and sarcastic. 

"It was a little too cold to be a hello...  Just a little.   Like when you STABBED ME and almost KILLED me!"  His voice remained harsh, and only partly sarcastic.

There was a period of silence as he looked up at her.  Her expression had changed, now sullen.  He doubted she'd allow it to be reflected in what she said, bu-.

"Look I'm sorry, okay?  I don't know if there's really anything else I can say.  When I woke up I couldn't remember anything and freaked out, I didn't even know who you were.  And...  I can leave if you want me to."

Oh...  Maybe she would.  It must have bugged her pretty badly then.  But again, there's been quite a bit of time for her to think about it. 

He shrugged at it, unable to really know what to think.   They'd pulled some pretty harsh things on each other in the past that had left them in worse states though, so it was pretty easy for him to accept her apology.  "Eh...  I, guess I forgive you, just please...  No more weapons and injuries if you can help it.  We have enough scars."  She nodded and shook herself off.  The talking had almost given him enough to think about to forget how cold it was.  Almost. 

He wrapped his arms about himself tightly.  Just one more question.  "Where's Sandrise?"  "Oh, she's in my cloak with me."  "Good, now can we find somewhere not cold to stay?  You just soaked me with enchanted water and it's COLD out here."  "Yeah, sure.  I'll pay..  Sorry about freaking out."  

"Don't worry about it, I mean, I'm the reason you're missing your original right arm."  Zeureis hopped down from the roof carefully before responding.  "Oh, I was wondering where that went." 

"Wait what?"  "Yeah.  My neuro-prosthetic is missing."  "...  Great.  But, come on, let's go, gogogo, it is cold, can talk later.  COLD."  He shoved her towards the nearest inn he could remember.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 06-02-2016

// Gahhh I'm just coming down from my factorio high and now I've got like 5 6 pages of RP to catch up on easily. I totally forgot where I put Danu again.

(06-02-2016, 12:57 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: // Gahhh I'm just coming down from my factorio high and now I've got like 5 6 pages of RP to catch up on easily. I totally forgot where I put Danu again.
// home?

*can be seen carrying the pudgy gryph from under the shoulders towards Danu's house*
You need something productive to do so I'm taking you here!

Mraaaahh! *flails*
Behave yourself or its reduced portions for lunch.

(06-02-2016, 10:20 AM)achroma Wrote: *the entity quickly Checks the sky, then returns to looking at the shadow*

"That does not look good, it's either another eclipse or somethings comming for our guests. And I believe an eclipse won't happen until next year. Whatever this is, I'll fight besides you, since you haven't payed you debt yet, I'll get a majority of the spoils if there is any.* 

"What are you talking abo-..." Chaos finally sees the shadow.
"Oh, shit. Everyone, up to the summit! Come on!"
The Guards start moving up with the Anomalies.
"What's going on? Why are we-"
"I'm being chased, and it seems Apathy's 'problem' attracted even more attention."
"The Hierophant is coming for us."

(06-02-2016, 05:17 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 10:20 AM)achroma Wrote: *the entity quickly Checks the sky, then returns to looking at the shadow*

"What are you talking abo-..." Chaos finally sees the shadow.
"I'm being chased, and it seems Apathy's 'problem' attracted even more attention."
"A hierophant, haven't heard that before. What is it, and how do we kill it?"
*the entity stares at the oncoming shadow*

(06-02-2016, 08:01 PM)achroma Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 05:17 PM)Umbra Wrote: "What are you talking abo-..." Chaos finally sees the shadow.
"A hierophant, haven't heard that before. What is it, and how do we kill it?"

"It's just a name, but it's coming to finish what it-" Chaos starts coughing and 'glitching' again. "-what it started. And it won't hesitate to go after new targets."

(06-02-2016, 08:14 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 08:01 PM)achroma Wrote: "A hierophant, haven't heard that before. What is it, and how do we kill it?"

"It's just a name, but it's coming to finish what it-" Chaos starts coughing and 'glitching' again. "-what it started. And it won't hesitate to go after new targets."

*the entity is startled by the glitch*
"I owe one of your brothers for showing Mercy, and I'm going to repay him, by killing this sentient shadow. Which reminds me a nightmare hunter..."

// i don't freaking know what the crap is going ooooooon

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Surge - 06-02-2016

(then pay attention)

(06-02-2016, 10:20 PM)Surge Wrote: (then pay attention)
// but, but...

// MAGIC HERE MAKES NO SENSE AND IT FOLLOWS NO RULES! IM SO CONFUSED!

D:

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 10:21 PM)Rahizel Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 10:20 PM)Surge Wrote: (then pay attention)
// but, but...

D:

((What exactly doesn't make sense? We have a whole system for magic, and I don't want to have to find it and drag it up again.))

(06-02-2016, 11:04 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 10:21 PM)Rahizel Wrote: // but, but...

D:

((What exactly doesn't make sense? We have a whole system for magic, and I don't want to have to find it and drag it up again.))
// then how do sentiment shadows work?

// even magic is subject to rules, just much more esoteric than known science. What I'm seeing here off and on makes no sense a- I'm too tired I'll explain lartt

(06-02-2016, 10:18 PM)achroma Wrote: *the entity is startled by the glitch*
"I owe one of your brothers for showing Mercy, and I'm going to repay him, by killing this sentient shadow. Which reminds me a nightmare hunter..."

"All I can do is wish you luck. It nearly killed me, and I don't think I'll be able to fight it again and live."

(06-02-2016, 11:06 PM)Rahizel Wrote: // then how do sentient shadows work?

// even magic is subject to rules, just much more esoteric than known science. What I'm seeing here off and on makes no sense a- I'm too tired I'll explain lartt

// it's part of a plot thing. There are shadowy beasts called Shadow Imps that already existed and are normally nothing more than a nuisance. There's also a shade that's causing a lot of trouble right now because plot stuff that started before you hopped in.
// I created a classification system for magic and its users quite a while ago that allows for the use of any magic that isn't ridiculously overpowered. I also don't feel like digging through the thread to find it again.
// also, it'd help you to pay attention, as Surge said, and also to not question how everything works. This isn't a hard sci-fi setting, therefore not everything needs to be explained.

(06-02-2016, 11:30 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 10:18 PM)achroma Wrote: *the entity is startled by the glitch*

"All I can do is wish you luck. It nearly killed me, and I don't think I'll be able to fight it again and live."

(06-02-2016, 11:06 PM)Rahizel Wrote: // then how do sentient shadows work?

// it's part of a plot thing. There are shadowy beasts called Shadow Imps that already existed and are normally nothing more than a nuisance. There's also a shade that's causing a lot of trouble right now because plot stuff that started before you hopped in.
// I created a classification system for magic and its users quite a while ago that allows for the use of any magic that isn't ridiculously overpowered. I also don't feel like digging through the thread to find it again.
// also, it'd help you to pay attention, as Surge said, and also to not question how everything works. This isn't a hard sci-fi setting, therefore not everything needs to be explained.
// why should I just "assume" that the rules are there? Also this magic shit spans many many paragraphs and its all walls of text...

// ugh, might as well start now

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 11:06 PM)Rahizel Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 11:04 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((What exactly doesn't make sense? We have a whole system for magic, and I don't want to have to find it and drag it up again.))
// then how do sentiment shadows work?

((To be honest I've been taking a little bit of a break and haven't payed too much attention the last few pages. I take it you mean the enigmas anomalies?
I can't explain them too well since they're Umbra's creation, but I'm not sure quite how (or if) they fit with the exact guidelines of magic in this universe. They're a holdover from the old RP, wherein Umbra's mind was basically held together by and/or split up into them. They were sort of mental constructs depicting parts of his personality, if I recall correctly, however they have been seperated into, as the verb would suggest, seperate beings now, which aren't exactly typical "magic". There are things that don't fit into the categories and don't follow the exact same rules, though they are few and far between.

Another example of this Principle of Magical Aberrancy (PoMA), as I'm naming it just now, would be my Schymnil race. Their entire bodies are covered in a coating which reflects absolutely no light, and their eyes glow brightly in the dark, and neither of these things have anything to do with the categorized magic, nor are they explicitly non-magical in nature.

I'm not sure if Umbra has a way to fit the (probably numerous) minor discrepencies people have into the system, if the system is flawed, or if this is outside of the system.
If it is the most latter of the three, I would suggest another section of magic: Primal, or as I've referred to it in the past, Reality Warping, wherein the magic is less something that can be controlled, and more something that just happens, and at the same time does not follow the exact rules of the more mainstream magics. This is the stuff of the things between worlds, of things beyond comprehension, of wild nature, and, occasionally, of very lucky (or very unlucky depending on how long they survive these powers) mages.))

((Edit: That was far more verbose than I intended.))

(06-02-2016, 11:33 PM)Rahizel Wrote: // why should I just "assume" that the rules are there? Also this magic shit spans many many paragraphs and its all walls of text...

// You wanted to know what the magic rules were. I do put thought into this RP. Don't assume I don't. It's not exactly a wall of text, either. I kept it as simple and brief as I could manage.
// And if you're just going to shit on the idea of magic in general (which I assume you will), then don't. I won't deal with anti-fantasy bullshit. People like it. People use it. If you don't like it, that's fine. You don't have to. But that doesn't mean you have to be overly critical of everything about it.

(06-02-2016, 11:38 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((To be honest I've been taking a little bit of a break and haven't payed too much attention the last few pages. I take it you mean the enigmas anomalies?

// There's a portion of The Remnant (the black Anomaly)'s army advancing up a mountain towards the four human aspect guys. That's what he's talking about.

Quote:I'm not sure if Umbra has a way to fit the (probably numerous) minor discrepencies people have into the system, if the system is flawed, or if this is outside of the system.
If it is the most latter of the three, I would suggest another section of magic: Primal, or as I've referred to it in the past, Reality Warping, wherein the magic is less something that can be controlled, and more something that just happens, and at the same time does not follow the exact rules of the more mainstream magics. This is the stuff of the things between worlds, of things beyond comprehension, of wild nature, and, occasionally, of very lucky (or very unlucky depending on how long they survive these powers) mages.))

// I considered that problem when I was designing the magic classification system, so I tried my best to make sure that anything anyone could come up with would be able to fit in one of the four categories. Your suggestion doesn't sound bad, though. It'd open up some interesting possibilities.
// Another name possibility off the top of my head: Weaver (as it sounds like they sort of work with the thread of a fundamental aspect of life or existence, such as chronomancy or, well, the manipulation of reality)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Shaadaris - 06-03-2016

(06-02-2016, 11:42 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 11:33 PM)Rahizel Wrote: // why should I just "assume" that the rules are there? Also this magic shit spans many many paragraphs and its all walls of text...

// You wanted to know what the magic rules were. I do put thought into this RP. Don't assume I don't. It's not exactly a wall of text, either. I kept it as simple and brief as I could manage.
// And if you're just going to shit on the idea of magic in general (which I assume you will), then don't. I won't deal with anti-fantasy bullshit. People like it. People use it. If you don't like it, that's fine. You don't have to. But that doesn't mean you have to be overly critical of everything about it.

(06-02-2016, 11:38 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: ((To be honest I've been taking a little bit of a break and haven't payed too much attention the last few pages. I take it you mean the enigmas anomalies?

// There's a portion of The Remnant (the black Anomaly)'s army advancing up a mountain towards the four human aspect guys. That's what he's talking about.

Quote:I'm not sure if Umbra has a way to fit the (probably numerous) minor discrepencies people have into the system, if the system is flawed, or if this is outside of the system.

// I considered that problem when I was designing the magic classification system, so I tried my best to make sure that anything anyone could come up with would be able to fit in one of the four categories. Your suggestion doesn't sound bad, though. It'd open up some interesting possibilities.
// Another name possibility off the top of my head: Weaver (as it sounds like they sort of work with the thread of a fundamental aspect of life or existence, such as chronomancy or, well, the manipulation of reality)

((Weaving? Sounds cool. That's sort of what I was going for - unlike of normal magic which can break scientific laws but has its own set of laws, this stuff makes its own laws simply by existing. The primary problem with trying to utilize it like normal magic is that you have to account for that.

It's sort of like writing a story:
Normal magic is where you write a story in an existing world, perhaps with some minor alterations... Like a bad fanfiction or something0: "Who cares if it doesn't fit, my self-insert demigod is THE BEST and as such can DEFINITELY throw fireballs from her fingers even though this story is set in a non-supernatural world! I don't need to explain!"
Weaving is like creating an entire world in intricate detail in order to put that one story in (sort of like how Tolkien made the whole world of Middle Earth and then set a few or so books in it which barely scratch the surface). Anything fits in this, anywhere, at any time, because you made it it all up yourself and didn't try to shoehorn anything into somewhere it doesn't work.

The issue with this, of course, is the sheer concentration and knowledge needed to do this. Hence the brightest Weavers often dying horribly by accidentally wiping themselves from existence or the like, or, if they're very careful, often being able to do less than normal mages due to the sheer difficulty of their methods in comparison. The reason it is also called Primal Magic is because unlike the other types, it also occurs naturally in universes. It can work its way into traits of certain lifeforms without them ever being aware of it, and it can manifest as phenomena with no explicit source. It's at its strongest when it isn't being manipulated by intellect, but by whatever mysterious way it drives itself. Of course, the more powerful beings can get around this either by concentration and knowledge, or by brute-forcing it to bend to their will, as many of these godlike beings are themselves composed of Primal magic. Since Primal Magic controls itself, these intelligences formed by it are able to control it as well, although some still have more success than others.

Verbose again! I'm on a roll today! ALL THE WORDS!! (All of them!)))