Avali Nexus
Nexus RP: Rebirth - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Nexus RP: Rebirth (/showthread.php?tid=62)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - AustinLB90 - 02-20-2017

(Yes I can see this working... and with a side effect that will be... interesting when somebody discovers it)
(Note: Austin no longer owns his shop and I have a funny story for that)
*at this point in time I know this may not mean anything do to locations, but Austin is currently grocery shopping in the local market*

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 02-20-2017

(02-16-2017, 01:49 AM)Surge Wrote:
(02-16-2017, 01:18 AM)Umbra Wrote: "What can you tell us about it?"

"about the Shade?" 753 gestures to the cave "Precious little I'm afraid, this entire thing was somewhat atypical, that's why we're here, we wish to pick through whatever remains" He gestures to the figure behind him.

"I wonder why that's always the case. Foes like this, people have been fighting them for decades or even centuries, but know almost nothing about what it is they were fighting against."

Danu shakes her head and taps on the screen of her phone to see if she had gotten any messages now that her phone had signal again after leaving the cave.

"In most of the worlds I've been to, beings like that shade usually come to pass when a strong soul is overcome by feelings of hatred and acts of malevolence. It forms a nucleus that grows by inducing similar feelings in those around it, and then absorbing those feelings to increase its own power. Sometimes they stay in human form, these become your dictators and tyrants. Others take on a more mutant form, and become your legendary monsters. Once and a great while, they persist long enough and consume so much that they become a demon. A being that if left to itself will destroy everything around it. "

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Surge - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 01:57 PM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(02-16-2017, 01:49 AM)Surge Wrote: "about the Shade?" 753 gestures to the cave "Precious little I'm afraid, this entire thing was somewhat atypical, that's why we're here, we wish to pick through whatever remains" He gestures to the figure behind him.

"I wonder why that's always the case. Foes like this, people have been fighting them for decades or even centuries, but know almost nothing about what it is they were fighting against."

Danu shakes her head and taps on the screen of her phone to see if she had gotten any messages now that her phone had signal again after leaving the cave.

"In most of the worlds I've been to, beings like that shade usually come to pass when a strong soul is overcome by feelings of hatred and acts of malevolence. It forms a nucleus that grows by inducing similar feelings in those around it, and then absorbing those feelings to increase its own power. Sometimes they stay in human form, these become your dictators and tyrants. Others take on a more mutant form, and become your legendary monsters. Once and a great while, they persist long enough and consume so much that they become a demon. A being that if left to itself will destroy everything around it. "
The man behind 753 visibly stifles a laugh for a moment before 753 motions for him to shut up and continues. "I'm afraid this is a different sort of shade, at least as best I can tell. It's a...thing that is not native to this dimension and largely circumvents the rules of this reality because it is not supposed to exist. They're anomalous in every definition of the word, abiding only by the incomprehensible laws of their own unreality. Killing one at all is actually pretty exceptional."
The man in the suit finally speaks up, adding "Even I don't fully understand how Shades work, but it's technically possible that you're both right, some universes intersect each other."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Timtimthe2nd - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 01:57 PM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(02-16-2017, 01:49 AM)Surge Wrote: "about the Shade?" 753 gestures to the cave "Precious little I'm afraid, this entire thing was somewhat atypical, that's why we're here, we wish to pick through whatever remains" He gestures to the figure behind him.

Tim whistles.
"Sounds like you've seen some serious stuff then. What do you think our rather large and angry friend was then? Monster, or full blown demon?"

(02-20-2017, 02:13 PM)Surge Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 01:57 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "I wonder why that's always the case. Foes like this, people have been fighting them for decades or even centuries, but know almost nothing about what it is they were fighting against."

The man behind 753 visibly stifles a laugh for a moment before 753 motions for him to shut up and continues. "I'm afraid this is a different sort of shade, at least as best I can tell. It's a...thing that is not native to this dimension and largely circumvents the rules of this reality because it is not supposed to exist. They're anomalous in every definition of the word, abiding only by the incomprehensible laws of their own unreality. Killing one at all is actually pretty exceptional."
The man in the suit finally speaks up, adding "Even I don't fully understand how Shades work, but it's technically possible that you're both right, some universes intersect each other."

"Oh. Well, either way, the shade is dead now, right?"

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 02:27 PM)Timtimthe2nd Wrote: Tim whistles.
"Sounds like you've seen some serious stuff then. What do you think our rather large and angry friend was then? Monster, or full blown demon?"

"I'd say that was a fairly young one. Plenty of room for theatricals and scaring small children, but low enough in actual power for us to have actually been able to do something about it. Just starting to become a monster as it realized what it was capable of.

Of course that assumes we actually defeated it. It could just as easily have shifted dimensions to escape, and will return later to be a threat again."

(02-20-2017, 02:27 PM)Timtimthe2nd Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 01:57 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: "I wonder why that's always the case. Foes like this, people have been fighting them for decades or even centuries, but know almost nothing about what it is they were fighting against."

Tim whistles.

(02-20-2017, 02:13 PM)Surge Wrote: The man behind 753 visibly stifles a laugh for a moment before 753 motions for him to shut up and continues. "I'm afraid this is a different sort of shade, at least as best I can tell. It's a...thing that is not native to this dimension and largely circumvents the rules of this reality because it is not supposed to exist. They're anomalous in every definition of the word, abiding only by the incomprehensible laws of their own unreality. Killing one at all is actually pretty exceptional."

"Oh. Well, either way, the shade is dead now, right?"
753 and the man nod in unison and 753 continues "presumably, we want to like around and make sure."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - AustinLB90 - 02-20-2017

(I don't want this to be a super long question taking too many posts, but how do story arcs work? Do most people do them and should to be a good part of rp?)

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-20-2017

Cainhurst stirs and slowly comes to on Surge's shoulder.
"Urgh... What..."
He looks at the machine's head.
"...What in the heavens are you?" He wriggles out of his grasp and notices the others. "What is going on? Where... Where am I?..."
Either he doesn't remember what happened in the cave, or he never actually noticed anyone else's presence until now.

(02-20-2017, 09:03 PM)Umbra Wrote: Cainhurst stirs and slowly comes to on Surge's shoulder.
"Urgh... What..."
He looks at the machine's head.
"...What in the heavens are you?" He wriggles out of his grasp and notices the others. "What is going on? Where... Where am I?..."
Either he doesn't remember what happened in the cave, or he never actually noticed anyone else's presence until now.

Surge lets go of him qickly, putting his hands up as 753 calmly addresses Cainhurst "Well these individuals were just taking you to find medical attention, it seems you were somehow involved with the extradimensional creature they just defeated. To what extent I can't claim to know."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Lost Rinoah - 02-21-2017

(02-20-2017, 07:00 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: (I don't want this to be a super long question taking too many posts, but how do story arcs work? Do most people do them and should to be a good part of rp?)

:;;: Rather than having to wing it and nothing turning up of it. By providing a driving force for multiple people to congregate around and work towards a goal.  You provide an adventure for those who join to enjoy and participate in.  These are often partially pre-planned and can involve several people working together on running the story arc for all others that participate to enjoy.  For the ones who are running said arc, their enjoyment comes from being  a showoff(people enjoying what you put some work into), and the interaction it breeds between characters (and by extension their writers).  Since it is up to said creator of the arc to adapt and allow others to enjoy their time spent on said adventure.  It is everyone else' to simply have fun and add life to each other's day.  I forayed a bit into what it means to be a GM and player a bit there too but it should suffice.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Comito - 02-21-2017

//hey Umbra, what happened to the pink guy?

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 06:08 AM)Comito Wrote: //hey Umbra, what happened to the pink guy?

// which one?

// oh, him
// that was Superego. didn't communicate it, but he's rejoined Umbra

// nothing has changed, though except for Umbra's text color

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 02-28-2017

(02-20-2017, 09:08 PM)Surge Wrote: Surge lets go of him qickly, putting his hands up as 753 calmly addresses Cainhurst "Well these individuals were just taking you to find medical attention, it seems you were somehow involved with the extradimensional creature they just defeated. To what extent I can't claim to know."

"That vile demon? The real one?"
"I no longer mean your black-furred friend, though I did at one point... You were all in that blasted cave, were you not?"

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Surge - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 09:43 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 09:08 PM)Surge Wrote: Surge lets go of him qickly, putting his hands up as 753 calmly addresses Cainhurst "Well these individuals were just taking you to find medical attention, it seems you were somehow involved with the extradimensional creature they just defeated. To what extent I can't claim to know."

"That vile demon? The *real* one?"
"I no longer mean your black-furred friend, though I did at one point... You were all in that blasted cave, were you not?"
753 shakes his head, while his associate remains silent behind him. "Everyone else here was, my associate and I are simply....concerned parties here to ensure you all were thorough. As the 'demon' in question was a significant threat to not only this planet but possibly this reality."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 03-01-2017

(02-28-2017, 10:43 PM)Surge Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 09:43 PM)Umbra Wrote: "That vile demon? The *real* one?"
753 shakes his head, while his associate remains silent behind him. "Everyone else here was, my associate and I are simply....concerned parties here to ensure you all were thorough. As the 'demon' in question was a significant threat to not only this planet but possibly this reality."

Danu shudders a bit at the thought of it. Perhaps this was why she had been drawn to this world, if there was such a powerful demon here than an equally powerful divine would be needed to maintain the world's balance.

Of course it had also been her experience that she wouldn't necessarily be the one to fight this demon. More often than not her role in such encounters was to support and guide a young hero from the world's own population to wielding her powers and restoring order to the world.

"I'm guessing you do know more than you've let on about this creature. That or there is an urgent need to find where it escaped to and make sure it is properly disposed of before it returns in a more powerful form. For now though, the priority is getting the injured to medical attention and everyone who fought to someplace safe where they can rest."

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Surge - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 02:00 PM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 10:43 PM)Surge Wrote: 753 shakes his head, while his associate remains silent behind him. "Everyone else here was, my associate and I are simply....concerned parties here to ensure you all were thorough. As the 'demon' in question was a significant threat to not only this planet but possibly this reality."

Danu shudders a bit at the thought of it. Perhaps this was why she had been drawn to this world, if there was such a powerful demon here than an equally powerful divine would be needed to maintain the world's balance.

Of course it had also been her experience that she wouldn't necessarily be the one to fight this demon. More often than not her role in such encounters was to support and guide a young hero from the world's own population to wielding her powers and restoring order to the world.

"I'm guessing you do know more than you've let on about this creature. That or there is an urgent need to find where it escaped to and make sure it is properly disposed of before it returns in a more powerful form. For now though, the priority is getting the injured to medical attention and everyone who fought to someplace safe where they can rest."
753 shakes his head "I've already told you more or less the extent of what I know about this thing. At least as it pertains to its presence here. If you have no further questions you are free to leave, we will investigate and attempt to verify that the shade is dead"

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Umbra - 03-02-2017

"...There is a town nearby, yes? I must return there and let the Order know there's one less Umbral to worry about, as well as let them know of my... Mistake."
'Cainhurst' starts heading off. It... Might not be a good idea to let him go off on his own.

// "editor"'s note: Cainhurst comes from a medieval world that doesn't have a portal to the Eden, and knows as much about dimensional shenanigans as he does about electricity (i.e. nothing).
// he'd call "the Remnant" (who is, in fact, dead) a shade if he knew it was a shade.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Surge - 03-03-2017

753 watches Cainhurst leave "...don't worry I'll make sure to send you all to the same place" with that 753 opens a few portals, depositing the entire group in front of the nearest medical center after a disorienting and somewhat nauseating ride.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - OdinYggd - 03-03-2017

(03-03-2017, 04:12 AM)Surge Wrote: 753 watches Cainhurst leave "...don't worry I'll make sure to send you all to the same place" with that 753 opens a few portals, depositing the entire group in front of the nearest medical center after a disorienting and somewhat nauseating ride.

Being suddenly transported makes Danu stumble a little, but she is relieved to appear in front of Woodport medical center. "Woah, I wasn't ready for that. Oh! Cainhurst, come with me in here. This is where our herbalists and alchemists work, making medicines for the sick and injured. They can check to make sure that there isn't any serious problems that you need to know about, since being possessed by a creaure of shadow can cause serious health problems.

Seems Danu had realized Cainhurst wasn't from a modern world, and at least tried to match her language to what he would expect. The pending culture shock was going to be amusing to watch as someone from a medieval time made first contact with the luxuries of modern medicine. Hopefully he wouldn't be too badly freaked out. For the time being though she would have to stay with him, just in case.

RE: Nexus RP: Rebirth - Timtimthe2nd - 03-03-2017

(03-03-2017, 04:12 AM)Surge Wrote: 753 watches Cainhurst leave "...don't worry I'll make sure to send you all to the same place" with that 753 opens a few portals, depositing the entire group in front of the nearest medical center after a disorienting and somewhat nauseating ride.

Tim takes a moment to steady himself and shake off the disorientation of the sudden trip. After he collects himself, he begins to busy himself with checking his supplies and the state of his gear. If there was a bench, he would choose to sit on it while he did so.