Avali Nexus
(Machinima) Starbound: The Monsters Below - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: User Created Content (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Thread: (Machinima) Starbound: The Monsters Below (/showthread.php?tid=66)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-11-2016

Niiice.  There's a bit of roughness near the end with the dialogue.  But, that I assume comes from the trouble you were having with finalization.  Yeh?Also, you could probably use  editors to modify items to add a personal flair to add a bit of what personality you choose to the game.   Everything from armor recoloriing to weapon visual and effects modification.  Or as simple as changing a weapon's name.   Although not suggested as it would add currently unneeded work to it.  

I like that you are using a popular style of hook used in creative writing and media.  Although it may be happening possibly too often.  You may want to look at pacing, as traveling takes too long, and it might be better to simply stand in place when characters are speaking.  (Also you could use in game speech bubbles to add a partial addition to what is said.  Like the "First three words..."  But I can't remember if it takes copy pastes.  

So, eh.   I'm glad you worked it out.  Just, for your own sake, don't overwork yourself.  And if you need to, attempt to bring more people who are willing in to help when you feel you need it.  (Personal experience with group projects; paid, volunteer, and hobbyist lets me acknowledge that you may have pushed yourself a bit too hard on it.)

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-12-2016

Thanks for providing critical feedback. I'm very much "working without a net," so to speak, so things kinda slip by sometimes. And yes, I did push very hard to release this episode--I promised to release by Wednesday, and I felt it was important to keep that promise. So yeah, there's a certain roughness to it (particularly because I'm still learning to use my new microphone), and I had to cut some stuff so it's shorter than normal. On the other hand, now I'll be expanding the sequence that I cut into a full episode, so you guys get more overall, and I have time to redo the awful voice acting I did for Mengele in that segment. He sounded like he had a cold because, well, I did.

Mind if I drill you a bit for some more specifics?

(02-11-2016, 07:35 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: Also, you could probably use  editors to modify items to add a personal flair to add a bit of what personality you choose to the game.   Everything from armor recoloriing to weapon visual and effects modification.  Or as simple as changing a weapon's name.
That would be awesome, actually. I've found it kind of difficult to get just the right sorts of costumes to fit each character. Do you know of any specific ones that I should check out?

(02-11-2016, 07:35 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: I like that you are using a popular style of hook used in creative writing and media.  Although it may be happening possibly too often.  You may want to look at pacing, as traveling takes too long, and it might be better to simply stand in place when characters are speaking.
Which hook style do you mean specifically? The sort of "We've got a plan, we're going to do it now?" sort of thing?

I know my pacing is kind of sloppy... the reason the travel sequences are as long as they are, generally, is so that we can have something happening while conversations take place. I had a lot of "Rhaomi standing around talking," in the first two episodes, and I thought it was really slow, so I added movement. The conversations are too long, but I'm not sure how far I can cut them down because of how much of the story is really about Rhaomi and Yellow interacting, and Yellow doesn't have a physical presence.

(02-11-2016, 07:35 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: And if you need to, attempt to bring more people who are willing in to help when you feel you need it.
This episode only released on time because I had help, actually. I originally tried to do Bloodclaw's voice myself, but it came out too similar to... well, everybody, so I got a friend to come do it, and he also took Bloodclaw's puppetry off my hands, which was a huge relief because I wasn't sure how I was going to manage it by myself. I think he performed both the voice and the puppetry very well.

And speaking of Bloodclaw, I'm interested in whether people have any thoughts on him. He flies in the face of all the typical expectations for his people, and I'm curious what people who are very familiar with the lore think of him.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-12-2016

For use coloring and editing characters, (Pixel-by-pixel if you want to even.  It even lets you completely overwrite the appearance of a character if you want to.)  I'd suggest SBSE, although it actually more depends on what version of the game you run.  If nothing else you could get someone to modify via backups and file editing.  I am unsure whether SBSE will work but I assume it should even for older versions.

By hook style I mean things used to catch the audience's attention.  You've been using the "Sudden cut to interesting things happening."  A little too often.  Although only about one time too many so far.  If anyone is going to watch this series.  They aren't watching it for the action and movement.  They're watching for character interaction and "drama".  Meaning you don't need to fill it with action or things happening otherwise it actually draws away away from it, which is why I said the three words thing in there.  You can make use of chairs in game if you are able to.  To make it look like the character is trying to relax, rather than tiptoeing back and forth like some unwarranted herd animal stuck indoors.  Even if they aren't.   Although it's up to you when you decide for them to sit down still.  I'm not saying cut out all movement or action or anything.  I'm just saying that inaction is often better if the action doesn't ad to the dialogue.  For example.  The short period where Rhaomi is cursing out wild animals while fighting them does add a little bit.  (Although your cold was an arsehole and went and made it a pain for you to sound pissed off while doing Rhaomi's voice.  The wanker.  Made something that should have been very strongly felt feel like no more than a small tantrum when he had every reason to be raging about it.)

Quick note about your cuts to black before scene swaps.  You should experiment with different rates where possible.  (Though keep it even in finalisation)  As cutting where traveling benefits from longer fades, and sudden things benefit from it as well, even though you still want them with a moderate-short fade time.  (4-5 or 6-7 second fading on travel, and 3-4 second fade on sudden things as an example, including things like KO and scene swapping not dealing with travel.)

Have you ever taken any arts classes before by the way?  I don't want to assume you do or don't know anything if I can help it.

Blood claw is a critical affront to his race and dangerous for more reasons than just being a murderer.  As he can give...  Dangerous ideas to the Avali, kept quite blind by their pack leaders.  No different than some human governments.  But at the same time, their leadership is likely to be playing damage control to minimize others breaking off in similar (Though less violent) ways to bloodclaw.  As it would weaken them as a whole massively.  But, after Bloodclaw.  It's likely to spark the occasional departing of individual members.  Yes their race is pack based, but all individuals are still different.  And some ideas may sound good, even if they turn out not to be after they are carried out.  

What does this mean?  Well, Bloodclaw technically by their classification isn't even a murderor or serial killer.  He's an anarchist and open terrorist, at such point murderor is just a label beneath terrorist.  He has likely lead to the mass splintering of some Avali.  With all Avali leadership scrambling to "Regain control" after having never had to deal with this for about 1000 years.  Possibly ever.

Color for your eyes

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-12-2016

Thanks for the detailed feedback. What is the "three words" exercise you mention?

I've taken classes for graphic art and creative writing, and attended several creative writing conventions. What I don't have is any training in cinematography or voice acting. Tongue

I can't really respond to your thoughts on Bloodclaw without spoilers, but you raise some interesting points that may or may not become important if I continue the series past this initial arc. I can say that Bloodclaw is a deviation. He, like Koma, is a "kayo," an Avali sociopath. It translates literally into "severed limb." It interferes with pack formation and carries a huge stigma in Avali culture, moreso than in ours.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-12-2016

Using the in game chat pops up speech bubbles.  Which can go along with what you are saying for a visual touch that allows you to further personalize what you want it to feel like.  The three words part was just an example of it.  Where in the speech bubbles you write the first three words of what your character is said, then continue on in the audio only.  Or you can do things like say a few specific words to note in the bubbles when your characters are talking.  Of course.  You
obviously wouldn't usually have one.  The speech bubbles give people something to keep track of, but something simpler, that meshes better than walking about with nothing happening.  I don't know if it is perfect.  But it could be something to check.

Limits on what you can do in something inspire creative use of what you can do, is all I'm really trying to say in the broader aspect though.  

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-13-2016

So sort of the opposite of a lot of MMOs where NPCs speak one line, and the rest is text? That's an interesting idea, but technically unfeasible. It would be very difficult to keep the action smooth while typing out dialogue, the probability of typos is high, and I what I'm typing will show up in the chatbox as I type it, messing with the suspension of disbelief that is already strained by having Rhaomi follow the mouse cursor when he's supposedly acting for himself (which is why I made it as close to invisible as I could in this episode). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-13-2016

Already knew this which is why I pointed out even that I was slightly skeptical of it but eh. Heh. Postprocessing...

In any case. I'll see about telling a few people about it if I can.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-22-2016

So today, I flew waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high so that the blue sky disappeared. Having found an asteroid to use as a nucleus, I thought to myself: "this will be a great place to build that spaceship for the next episode!"

Then it started snowing.

Ah, Starbound... you never make things easy, do you?

Edit: And now I realize I'm an idiot and I should probably just use a player-type starship.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-22-2016

(02-22-2016, 02:54 AM)YDH Wrote: So today, I flew waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high so that the blue sky disappeared. Having found an asteroid to use as a nucleus, I thought to myself: "this will be a great place to build that spaceship for the next episode!"

Then it started snowing.

Ah, Starbound... you never make things easy, do you?

Edit: And now I realize I'm an idiot and I should probably just use a player-type starship.

every world has an asteroid zone.  just find a no weather world.  player ships tend to be somewhat of a mess.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539927707

Also because I can.

[Image: 216B4CF4611D057C6CE5F8139E5BAAF717DEE20E]

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-22-2016

At first I thought everything had weather, but then I happened across a barren planet. That should work. Now I just have to build the darn thing...

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-23-2016

Hoow much have you made your little project exposed to feedback by the way? Because just one person and then the people in the loop isn't a very good size. As I (one person) Cannot represent the larger group of people. Also, trying to be careful because I don't want to rip your drive to do something wonderful from you.

But yeah. Been sending links to friends through skype steam and other such. (Of course only to people who I believe would enjoy your space drama) I hope you were going for it to technically be classed as a drama? It's also technically closer to a play than a movie, so that'd make you the playwright.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-23-2016

Thank you for sharing my work with your friends, and your continued feedback. Yes, I do consider this a dramatic work (which really hits full swing in the next episode). Mind you, it didn't start out that way. It gradually evolved from the text "commentator" of my FarSky let's play, and you can see the seeds of Rhaomi's character in the commentator's snarky observations. STMB started life as a "what if the character I was playing talked back to me" sort of thing, which is why the "player" character of YellowDemonHurlr exists within the universe--an author avatar is a dangerous gambit, and in retrospect was probably a mistake, but it's done so I have to stick with it and hope that I can make it work.

Ultimately, however, I fell into my usual "bad" habit of blowing everything into a sweeping epic and wound up with a much more serious story arc. If people are interested, I could post my "first draft" of episode 1, which was more overtly a "game" whereas the current story is "real."

Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of people get feedback from. It's kind of a niche thing. I was hoping that by sharing this here I'd get the attention of other people who write in the Avali universe, but thus far very few people have left me any kind of comments, and only you evaluate it critically.

Don't worry about your feedback eroding my desire to do the series--I'm well-used to receiving critical feedback on my fiction, and your feedback is always constructive. While I have some doubts about the viability of the project beyond this first arc, I don't want you to hold back on important criticism for fear of hurting my feelings. STMB is an experiment--my first foray into episodic video narratives. If I do continue, I need a strong base.

I am curious why you think of it like a play. To my view, it follows the form of a TV miniseries--episodic, prerecorded, edited, and heavily processed with multiple takes, etc. It's a lot more heavily edited than it might appear--for instance, that long section where Yellow controls Rhaomi in the Miniknog base looks like it was all done at once, but is actually multiple attempts stitched together.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-24-2016

(02-23-2016, 08:51 PM)YDH Wrote: Thank you for sharing my work with your friends, and your continued feedback. Yes, I do consider this a dramatic work (which really hits full swing in the next episode). Mind you, it didn't start out that way. It gradually evolved from the text "commentator" of my FarSky let's play, and you can see the seeds of Rhaomi's character in the commentator's snarky observations. STMB started life as a "what if the character I was playing talked back to me" sort of thing, which is why the "player" character of YellowDemonHurlr exists within the universe--an author avatar is a dangerous gambit, and in retrospect was probably a mistake, but it's done so I have to stick with it and hope that I can make it work.

Ultimately, however, I fell into my usual "bad" habit of blowing everything into a sweeping epic and wound up with a much more serious story arc. If people are interested, I could post my "first draft" of episode 1, which was more overtly a "game" whereas the current story is "real."

Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of people get feedback from. It's kind of a niche thing. I was hoping that by sharing this here I'd get the attention of other people who write in the Avali universe, but thus far very few people have left me any kind of comments, and only you evaluate it critically.

Don't worry about your feedback eroding my desire to do the series--I'm well-used to receiving critical feedback on my fiction, and your feedback is always constructive. While I have some doubts about the viability of the project beyond this first arc, I don't want you to hold back on important criticism for fear of hurting my feelings. STMB is an experiment--my first foray into episodic video narratives. If I do continue, I need a strong base.

I am curious why you think of it like a play. To my view, it follows the form of a TV miniseries--episodic, prerecorded, edited, and heavily processed with multiple takes, etc. It's a lot more heavily edited than it might appear--for instance, that long section where Yellow controls Rhaomi in the Miniknog base looks like it was all done at once, but is actually multiple attempts stitched together.

Have you ever seen an episodic play before?  Sometimes the chapters of the play can overlap in time, to the point they take place at the same time, or in the next room over.  There's cases where the narrator is brought in as an actual character within the play, despite beforehand not having been one.  And the story advances forwards without a stop.  I wish I could give an example (or at least knew what the specific one I'm talking about was called or where to find it)  Saw the one I'm talking about a long while ago in a school.  Drama students from grades 11 and 12.  In any case.  The stylization of an over-character directly being able to converse with an internal character.  Your avatar of yourself is essentially an actor, character, and narrator all in one.  The only thing missing from being a play is being able to directly interact with your onlookers.  However.  You have already dealt within it, the fourth wall break.  So, your avatar is.  Narrator, Actor, character, and onlooker, all in one.  A complicated part to be sure.

So you are right in it being technically more a miniseries of sorts.  But internally it thinks it's a play.  And it shows.  Has it's own special spark for it too.  It's no bad thing.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-24-2016

I'm glad you like the role Yellow plays. He's my biggest misgiving about the series--author avatars often go hand in hand with Mary Sues. On the other hand, he plays a very unique role, as you point out, and it lets me do some cool things. Without such a character, my big meta-arc flies out the window. I've thought about replacing him with a character who's not an author avatar, but that would be suspiciously similar substitute which is... cheap.

I don't have opportunity to see many plays, but is this kind of what you're talking about?

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 02-24-2016

(02-24-2016, 03:53 AM)YDH Wrote: I'm glad you like the role Yellow plays. He's my biggest misgiving about the series--author avatars often go hand in hand with Mary Sues. On the other hand, he plays a very unique role, as you point out, and it lets me do some cool things. Without such a character, my big meta-arc flies out the window. I've thought about replacing him with a character who's not an author avatar, but that would be suspiciously similar substitute which is... cheap.

I don't have opportunity to see many plays, but is this kind of what you're talking about?
snip

Generally yes.  Plays allow direct or almost direct contact with the audience.  Often taking up the appearance of, as I said, breaking the fourth wall.  Usually done in a tasteful controlled manor, either to make it obvious that it's only metaphorical to prove a point in the story of the situation, or for comedic effect.  When one of the characters suddenly starts talking directly to the audience.  Monsters Below thinks it's a play, giving it a certain charm.  Your character directly is able to address the audience because, you know, it's you.  And you can use this to your advantage to take it any number of ways if you wanted.  You could make it documentary.  Lone caretaker.  God-complex.  Etcetra. You'd even be able to directly respond to (some) of your audience if it got popular and became a pet project that grew. 

It's a lot more open to adaptation than you think.  It's just hard to write it out as it's always been one of the hardest positions to write.

And I am stopping here before I make someone's head spin.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 02-28-2016

(02-24-2016, 10:18 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 03:53 AM)YDH Wrote: I'm glad you like the role Yellow plays. He's my biggest misgiving about the series--author avatars often go hand in hand with Mary Sues. On the other hand, he plays a very unique role, as you point out, and it lets me do some cool things. Without such a character, my big meta-arc flies out the window. I've thought about replacing him with a character who's not an author avatar, but that would be suspiciously similar substitute which is... cheap.

snip
I
Generally yes.  Plays allow direct or almost direct contact with the audience.  Often taking up the appearance of, as I said, breaking the fourth wall.  Usually done in a tasteful controlled manor, either to make it obvious that it's only metaphorical to prove a point in the story of the situation, or for comedic effect.  When one of the characters suddenly starts talking directly to the audience.  Monsters Below thinks it's a play, giving it a certain charm.  Your character directly is able to address the audience because, you know, it's you.  And you can use this to your advantage to take it any number of ways if you wanted.  You could make it documentary.  Lone caretaker.  God-complex.  Etcetra.  You'd even be able to directly respond to (some) of your audience if it got popular and became a pet project that grew. 

It's a lot more open to adaptation than you think.  It's just hard to write it out as it's always been one of the hardest positions to write.

Yes, those unusual aspects are why I like having the character of Yellow. Well, that and his dynamic with Rhaomi. I just wrote this nugget for episode 5.
Quote:(Yellow and Rhaomi are talking about Apex soldiers that Rhaomi killed)
Yellow: Ugh… You don’t have to sound so gleeful about it…
Rhaomi (teasing): Aw, don’t cry, Yellow. I’ll make you a deal: once this is over, I’ll lead you to their mangled corpses and you can sprinkle flowers and recite pretentious poetry or whatever yippies do to honor the honorless dead.
Yellow (deadpan): Mostly we strip ourselves down and moon the nearest soldier.

With regard to the popularity of the series... STMB is actually the most popular thing on my channel. Granted, I'm really small so that's not saying much, but Episode 1 has significantly more views than anything else I've posted, and if one more person watches episode 2, it'll have more watchtime than my most popular video, despite the other video being three times as long and having been up two and a half months longer.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 03-02-2016

(02-28-2016, 06:47 AM)YDH Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 10:18 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: I
Generally yes.  Plays allow direct or almost direct contact with the audience.  Often taking up the appearance of, as I said, breaking the fourth wall.  Usually done in a tasteful controlled manor, either to make it obvious that it's only metaphorical to prove a point in the story of the situation, or for comedic effect.  When one of the characters suddenly starts talking directly to the audience.  Monsters Below thinks it's a play, giving it a certain charm.  Your character directly is able to address the audience because, you know, it's you.  And you can use this to your advantage to take it any number of ways if you wanted.  You could make it documentary.  Lone caretaker.  God-complex.  Etcetra.  You'd even be able to directly respond to (some) of your audience if it got popular and became a pet project that grew. 

Yes, those unusual aspects are why I like having the character of Yellow. Well, that and his dynamic with Rhaomi. I just wrote this nugget for episode 5.

Quote:(Yellow and Rhaomi are talking about Apex soldiers that Rhaomi killed)
Yellow: Ugh… You don’t have to sound so gleeful about it…
Rhaomi (teasing): Aw, don’t cry, Yellow. I’ll make you a deal: once this is over, I’ll lead you to their mangled corpses and you can sprinkle flowers and recite pretentious poetry or whatever yippies do to honor the honorless dead.
Yellow (deadpan): Mostly we strip ourselves down and moon the nearest soldier.

With regard to the popularity of the series... STMB is actually the most popular thing on my channel. Granted, I'm really small so that's not saying much, but Episode 1 has significantly more views than anything else I've posted, and if one more person watches episode 2, it'll have more watchtime than my most popular video, despite the other video being three times as long and having been up two and a half months longer.
Hmm...  That line From Rhaomi sounds slightly forced.  As in trying to be rude while being not quite sure exactly what he's going for, making it seem unnatural, like people who try to be edgy.  You don't need to try.  You just kind of are.  Otherwise it's forced.

I've sent links to four people I know already.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 03-02-2016

Thank you again for sharing my work. I'll take another look at that line... it seems mostly okay to me, maybe because I know how it's supposed to be delivered, but it is kinda long. Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Ah, I bet I know why this line seems strange to you--it's different from the sort of interactions Yellow and Rhaomi have engaged in in the past. That was basically a lobbing "you suck" back and forth but this is different, there's no real hostility behind it, and even a bit of playfulness as the two become more comfortable with each other. It's not rudeness so much as banter.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 03-03-2016

(03-02-2016, 06:40 AM)YDH Wrote: Thank you again for sharing my work. I'll take another look at that line... it seems mostly okay to me, maybe because I know how it's supposed to be delivered, but it is kinda long. Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Ah, I bet I know why this line seems strange to you--it's different from the sort of interactions Yellow and Rhaomi have engaged in in the past. That was basically a lobbing "you suck" back and forth but this is different, there's no real hostility behind it, and even a bit of playfulness as the two become more comfortable with each other. It's not rudeness so much as banter.

Then it better be VERY sarcastic heh.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 03-03-2016

It is. The sarcasm is never going away. Big Grin

...That grin emote will take some getting used to.