Avali Nexus
(Machinima) Starbound: The Monsters Below - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: User Created Content (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Thread: (Machinima) Starbound: The Monsters Below (/showthread.php?tid=66)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 04-21-2016

Just had a long session recording dialogue for Bloodclaw... he really is super over the top. It's funny and horrible at the same time.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 04-25-2016

Making Avali songs with a generator... not exactly what I was hoping for, but they make me chuckle.

Spoilered because they're long.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 04-27-2016

(04-25-2016, 07:01 AM)YDH Wrote: Making Avali songs with a generator... not exactly what I was hoping for, but they make me chuckle.

Spoilered because they're long.

Snipperooni

You could have written basic rhyme and structure.   It would have worked quite well.  Especially considering what you'd expect from random individuals, especially in military positions.  At most some childrens rhymes, or, maybe a few lewd considered ones but you were keeping it clean so that joke it probably out.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 04-27-2016

Oh, I didn't write them. They were automatically generated, I just provided some words to fill in the blanks.

I thought about modifying them to rhyme, but I decided that they were okay not rhyming because I consider them "translated" from their native language where they do rhyme.

But yeah, I interpret Avali as really loving rhyme and alliteration.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 04-27-2016

No. I mean, what people remember. But by your will.

Some lanuages actually still rhyme when translated. Even between extremely different languages. And it's awesome when that happens. I'm not saying you should do that because that would be a lame change for something not worthwhile. But it's an awesome thing in real life that I've seen a few times. I'm pretty sure there's a few Avali songs or prose that WOULD rhyme however.

Oh gods. Just realised a near pun situation.

Rhaomi nearly rhymes with the English word rhyme. (And actually technically does depending by accent.)

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 04-27-2016

Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't try too hard with these songs since I only really need a very small snippet for Rhaomi to sing to himself while he [redacted]. I just shared them here because I found them amusing. "I was the most fuzzy soldier around", "I thought my tail had burst into flames", etc.

I suppose it would make more sense to have something actually in an Avali language, but that would require me to make up said language, and so far my efforts to that regard haven't been very successful.

"Rhyme-y Rhaomi." I'll probably use that some time.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 05-09-2016

Meh. STMB has been kinda in a lull for a while, but it's not dead. Here's a snippet from episode 5.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 05-09-2016

I don't think it's in a lull so much as there is little left to say for now.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 06-28-2016

Number Five aliiiiiiive!
[Image: futurenow-shortcircuit.jpg]

So nothing went to plan, but episode 5 is finally complete. All that's left to do is upload it, so it should be live tomorrow of the day after. Then it's on to the finale!

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 06-28-2016

The clock is ticking. Having escaped Mengele’s dungeon of the mind, Yellow and Rhaomi must launch their attack against the Miniknog before reinforcements arrive and any chance at destroying the tentacle beast slips away. The cost of lives should the Miniknog weaponize the beast would be enormous… but what will be the cost of stopping them?

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 06-30-2016

Glad to see you are still (generally speaking) well. And gratz on this episode's completion.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 07-01-2016

Thank you! Taking a few days break then it's on to work on the season finale which, if all goes well, will be both long and action-packed!

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 07-04-2016

(04-15-2016, 05:54 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: Why not DEAD? Disaster extent assistant device. Both very explanatory and overly vague at the same time. Because it tells you exactly what it is while telling you nothing of what it does. (It tells you the chance of something astronomically bad actually happening by current estimates of the current project) And has an awkwardly specific acronym.

Heh.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I did end up using your DEAD acronym, though I changed what "A" stood for. It's a plot-important device, too! So thank you for the suggestion.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 07-05-2016

(07-04-2016, 05:09 AM)YDH Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 05:54 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: Why not DEAD?  Disaster extent assistant device.  Both very explanatory and overly vague at the same time.  Because it tells you exactly what it is while telling you nothing of what it does.  (It tells you the chance of something astronomically bad actually happening by current estimates of the current project)  And has an awkwardly specific acronym.

Heh.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I did end up using your DEAD acronym, though I changed what "A" stood for. It's a plot-important device, too! So thank you for the suggestion.

saw that, and welcome.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 07-10-2016

Hey, does anyone know the temperature range avali can naturally tolerate, or find comfortable? I know that humans are comfortable between about 15 and 25 degrees C, so would the avali have a similar range around their core temperature?

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Lost Rinoah - 07-10-2016

Take the average temperature of their world and add 4-6 degrees for probably natural body temperature... Stupid imperial system in america...

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 07-10-2016

I'm a scientist, I can do Celsius. Trouble is, I don't know what Avalon's average temperature is, only that the freezing point of ammonia is -33 C, but this temperature is increased under the pressure conditions found on Avalon.

Looking at the wiki, it gives me an upper limit for Avali's survivable temperature (approaching or even exceeding 0 degrees), but not a lower limit, which is what I really need.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Shaadaris - 07-11-2016

(07-10-2016, 08:51 PM)YDH Wrote: I'm a scientist, I can do Celsius. Trouble is, I don't know what Avalon's average temperature is, only that the freezing point of ammonia is -33 C, but this temperature is increased under the pressure conditions found on Avalon.

Looking at the wiki, it gives me an upper limit for Avali's survivable temperature (approaching or even exceeding 0 degrees), but not a lower limit, which is what I really need.

I know it's not the best method available, but perhaps you could take the range survivable by a human, and use that as a template, just shifting the numbers over.
So for example say a Human can survive -30C to 60C (I know it's not accurate it's an example) say Avali can survive 10C as a high estimate.
So 60 - -30 = 90 so that's a 90C range. So 10 - 90 = -80. So then you say Avali can survive between -80C and 10C. (once again, use actual temperatures and ranges instead of my way-off-examples.)
Not lore accurate per say, but using this method will probably give a pretty good idea. Probably. At least a decent idea... Or you could try contacting Ryu.

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - YDH - 07-11-2016

I'd love to contact Ryujiin, but he's hard to contact. I've spoken with him only once when I happened across him in an unrelated forum and jumped on the opportunity to ask permission to make an avali machinima.

So if we know humans to have a comfortable temperature range of about 15 - 25 C, that's a 10 degree range. Let's say they have another 10 degree survivability range, so 10 - 30 C. That's 20 degrees range.

We know that avali can survive naked above 0, so if we set the upper bracket as 5 C, that puts their comfortable range between 0 and -10, with a minimum of -15. We know that avali are from Avalon's tropics, so a relatively high temperature bracket makes sense... I think?

Gah! This is so complicated! All I know is what temperature would make Rhaomi go "brr, that's cold!"

Edit: Rrg, and Avalon is under higher atmospheric pressure than Earth. Meanining that if an avali tried to work in standard atmosphere, they'd probably end up looking like this:
[Image: grid-cell-21780-1418403889-19.jpg]
Man, avali are hard to work with in conjunction with any other races...

RE: Starbound: The Monsters Below (Machinima) - Shaadaris - 07-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 01:05 AM)YDH Wrote: I'd love to contact Ryujiin, but he's hard to contact. I've spoken with him only once when I happened across him in an unrelated forum and jumped on the opportunity to ask permission to make an avali machinima.

So if we know humans to have a comfortable temperature range of about 15 - 25 C, that's a 10 degree range. Let's say they have another 10 degree survivability range, so 10 - 30 C. That's 20 degrees range.

We know that avali can survive naked above 0, so if we set the upper bracket as 5 C, that puts their comfortable range between 0 and -10, with a minimum of -15. We know that avali are from Avalon's tropics, so a relatively high temperature bracket makes sense... I think?

Gah! This is so complicated! All I know is what temperature would make Rhaomi go "brr, that's cold!"

Edit: Rrg, and Avalon is under higher atmospheric pressure than Earth. Meanining that if an avali tried to work in standard atmosphere, they'd probably end up looking like this:
[Image: grid-cell-21780-1418403889-19.jpg]
Man, avali are hard to work with in conjunction with any other races...

Hrm... Well I'm pretty sure Humans can survive more than 30C, just not very comfortably.
I dunno. And yeah, this is why Avali were originally intended to be their own thing. Only once Starbound came into the picture did they need to interact with other races... Which is also around the time the lore started being less and less regarded due to obvious mechanical issues.

Honestly, trying to make the Avali in your Machinima fit their lore perfectly is a flawed concept in the first place due to using Starbound's variation on the Avali, which at this point I think all of us and Ryu consider sort of a spinoff. Like Stargate: Infinity is to Stargate SG1, Atlantis, and Universe. Similar idea, but the lore and concepts are pretty borked.

Just go with what feels right. It's your Machnima. Doesn't have to follow the Avali lore just as it doesn't have to follow the Starbound lore.