Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Ehksidian - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 06:06 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 03:14 AM)Ehksidian Wrote: why the fuck is there a 5th shrek movie in the making.

There's also a... What... 6th Ice Age coming out?
Edit: Nope. It's the 5th.

there is no god.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 04:02 PM)Ehksidian Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 06:06 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: There's also a... What... 6th Ice Age coming out?

there is no god.
No there is. His name is Randy and he's a cunt.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 06:06 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: There's also a... What... 6th Ice Age coming out?

there is no god.

there was never one in the first place

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Rahizel - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 08:24 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 05:19 AM)roguephoenix64 Wrote: So you're saying the opinion that terrorism is kills innocents and ruins countless lives is wrong if I say that opinion is more correct than that of terrorism being good?
No strawman for you, sorry.  I'm a little too stable for that.  It would not amuse anyone here to talk about such things.  let alone what comes after this.

Rahizel, it's because you need to think before sending your message, instead of saying that you would like a bit more variety in Null's posts.  You insulted them and said their preference was worse than yours.  I'm not jumping on your back.  I'm breathing down the back of your neck.  That's a lot worse.  I don't like you, but I don't have to, to respect you and remain civil.  As you still add something to the community, even amidst all the stress that goes both ways.  So I'd rather have you here than not.  And as such, although it's easy for me to crack a bit now and then.  I won't let it effect other things and refuse to fight anyone.  I will now pretend I said nothing.

@ Null

I don't know.  Metal slug makes me think sidescroller.  So the most I could see would be pseudo-3D graphics applied to a sidescroller action shooter.
Yeah I'll admit I'm impulsive at times, part of why I don't have any social networking profiles. I know I'd just be an asshole by virtue of speaking my mind before my mind has even decided what it wants. I, don't have many friends.

(07-21-2016, 01:16 PM)Surge Wrote: Mmmmmm juicy juicy drama. I wondered how long it would take for this to start again.
Oh boy how I hate that damned word, "Drama"
(07-21-2016, 02:03 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: Not even drama. Just different opinions playing out in a way that introduced someone to the concept of logical fallacy.
I'm starting to think this is why this forum has no regular conversation. Every time a compelling conversation gets going it gets derailed.

I still want to apologize for any hurt feelings or... "drama" caused. Maybe if I force myself to think about a post for 5-10 minutes and read it over that would help. I don't like being a mean person, hell I have on multiple occasions had trouble saying no to kids who wanted to play with my expensive toys when I was young, decent stuff I'd get on rare occasions like an RC car or my prized Hydroplane***. I let them use and break them because I couldn't handle how sad they looked if I said no.

Aaand I'm getting off topic, my bad.

***[Image: a1377981-138-hydro-plane.jpg?d=1183612139]

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Ehksidian - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 04:03 PM)Surge Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 04:02 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: there is no god.
No there is. His name is Randy and he's a cunt.

fuck you randy i want a refund and a better god than you.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 04:41 PM)Ehksidian Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 04:03 PM)Surge Wrote: No there is. His name is Randy and he's a cunt.

fuck you randy i want a refund and a better god than you.

[Image: ffeb62d3bcb13defff118429830b449b.png]
[Image: df2ac5cddda11bf48c03eb4fde890768.png]

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 07-21-2016

In the beginning, god created the universe.

This has made a lot of people angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 07-21-2016

wot?
note: contains strange stuff

[Image: f528b32db5c5da4f69d077c4bbefa40b.png]
[Image: c9a867228e53f7b07cb3271bcbb0ef34.png]
[Image: 19b106f83a22b836a26bd6d48c6e5a3a.png]
[Image: cbb5f5df5f70f3d5958d377e262b51f2.png]
[Image: f897582dda92f7212e457e4ad98d522b.png]
heheh
[Image: 415d90eefc7d11cb2241e1b4df42f517.png]
I'm starting to think life here on the colony is dangerous.

what the hell just happened to imgur?

[Image: Simms_Motor_Scout_from_Autocar.jpg]
apparently this counts as an armed car

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-21-2016

there is no god.
This is old news. Get with the program. Hail Yog-Sothoth.

(07-21-2016, 05:18 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: In the beginning, god created the universe.

This has made a lot of people angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

But God doesn't exist. The Babel Fish proves as much by being too tremendously useful to have evolved naturally.
God refuses to prove his existence because he's nothing without faith. The Babel Fish proves his existence, diminishing faith. Therefore, he doesn't exist.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 06:20 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: what the hell just happened to imgur?

~snip~
apparently this counts as an armed car

Technically it does if you think about it.  Just not a motorised automobile, as "quadcycle" just turns into car because it just means four spinners.  It's simply not self propelled.

Kinda funny actually.  If you put a heavy sling on a bike would it still be an armed car?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-21-2016

(07-21-2016, 06:20 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: what the hell just happened to imgur?

I'll assume you mean the new UI.
In which case you're behind the times. It's been like that for days... Unless you're on mobile.
I haven't seen a single person that likes it so far. Which makes me hope they'll change it back.
At least the comments section. Everyone agrees the comments section looks like total crap now.

[Image: sMztBDk.png?1]
I don't remember asking for this but I'll take it.

So this is where I'd put my first impressions of dreadnought. Except I'm still in MM.

I digress, Dreadnought seems to be competing with Fractured Space to see how similar two games can be before the copyright lawyers summon themselves. You have different types of ships filling different roles on the battlefield in a 3D plane where they all slowly drift about and explode occasionally.

Dreadnoughts are more or less flying fortresses and about as agile as the land based variety, emphasizing positioning (HA!) and defense to defeat their foes. Corvettes zip around and feel responsive but "floaty" and thus awkward while leveraging so-so firepower and little to no armor, being like angry bees to the dreadnought's mighty soldier. Artillery cruisers are exactly what it says on the tin you ninny, a giant gun that has been made to fly and carry people in violation of common logic, though it somehow still manages to carry enough non-giant gun bits to have 4 abilities and a secondary weapon. Tactical cruisers are the medic class, healing and harming in equal measure while desperately hoping nobody notices them behind the dreadnought. Finally destroyers are your "I just wanna shoot things" class that does a little bit of everything.

In-game Dreadnought surprisingly puts a lot of emphasis on terrain and positioning, because giant starships are clearly meant to hide in canyons and lob torpedoes at each other, while not offering any actual objective to work towards. Fights tend to either be quick and brutal or long and confusing, suffice to say I don't wholly follow the sensory overload of alerts, cooldowns, and status bars yet.

Now I would like to delve into the metagame of buying and customizing ships but that is currently locked to me so I cannot.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-22-2016

(07-21-2016, 11:45 PM)Surge Wrote: So this is where I'd put my first impressions of dreadnought. Except I'm still in MM.

I digress, Dreadnought seems to be competing with Fractured Space to see how similar two games can be before the copyright lawyers summon themselves. You have different types of ships filling different roles on the battlefield in a 3D plane where they all slowly drift about and explode occasionally.

Dreadnoughts are more or less flying fortresses and about as agile as the land based variety, emphasizing positioning (HA!) and defense to defeat their foes.
Corvettes zip around and feel responsive but "floaty" and thus awkward while leveraging so-so firepower and little to no armor, being like angry bees to the dreadnought's mighty soldier. Artillery cruisers are exactly what it says on the tin you ninny, a giant gun that has been made to fly and carry people in violation of common logic, though it somehow still manages to carry enough non-giant gun bits to have 4 abilities and a secondary weapon. Tactical cruisers are the medic class, healing and harming in equal measure while desperately hoping nobody notices them behind the dreadnought. Finally destroyers are your "I just wanna shoot things" class that does a little bit of everything.

In-game Dreadnought surprisingly puts a lot of emphasis on terrain and positioning, because giant starships are clearly meant to hide in canyons and lob torpedoes at each other, while not offering any actual objective to work towards. Fights tend to either be quick and brutal or long and confusing, suffice to say I don't wholly follow the sensory overload of alerts, cooldowns, and status bars yet.

Now I would like to delve into the metagame of buying and customizing ships but that is currently locked to me so I cannot.

Every time I read one of your first impressions or reviews I feel like I've just listened to... I was going to make a comparison but I can't actually think of anything to compare it to.
Humorous, kind of angry and sarcastic (in a good way), while still getting the point across. You should keep doing this.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 12:06 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 11:45 PM)Surge Wrote: So this is where I'd put my first impressions of dreadnought. Except I'm still in MM.

Dreadnoughts are more or less flying fortresses and about as agile as the land based variety, emphasizing positioning (HA!) and defense to defeat their foes.
Corvettes zip around and feel responsive but "floaty" and thus awkward while leveraging so-so firepower and little to no armor, being like angry bees to the dreadnought's mighty soldier. Artillery cruisers are exactly what it says on the tin you ninny, a giant gun that has been made to fly and carry people in violation of common logic, though it somehow still manages to carry enough non-giant gun bits to have 4 abilities and a secondary weapon. Tactical cruisers are the medic class, healing and harming in equal measure while desperately hoping nobody notices them behind the dreadnought. Finally destroyers are your "I just wanna shoot things" class that does a little bit of everything.

Every time I read one of your first impressions or reviews I feel like I've just listened to... I was going to make a comparison but I can't actually think of anything to compare it to.
Humorous, kind of angry and sarcastic (in a good way), while still getting the point across. You should keep doing this.
I try to take cues from reviewers I enjoy reading/hearing from, rock paper shotgun, nerdcubed, zero punctuation, the like, and the result of mixing all that together tends to be very snarky and a bit rude, which is a tone that I think suits me perfectly. It means a lot to know I'm on target with that.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-22-2016

Speaking of First Impressions, it dawns on me that I don't think I did one for Rimworld, partly because I was too busy playing Rimworld, so let's do that while the iron is hot.

Rimworld is a good hard sadistic game of constant challenges and hilarious failure and tragedy punctuated by periods of naked wandering through the wilderness. You take control of a group of randomly generated colonists, either shipwreck survivors or stone age tribespeople, and you have to attempt to survive in a randomly generated world by building a home, oh you don't like sharing bedrooms? that's fine we'll build separate bedrooms. Anyways then you need to build storage, oh you don't like seeing dead people and animals lying around? alright well we'll shunt all that into a different storage zone. Anyways then you build a kitchen so that-you want a table to eat on? fine I guess we can add a communal mess hall onto the kitchen. ANYWAYS you'll need to-oh for FUCK'S SAKE WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE "feeling bad" THAT IS NOT A GOOD REASON TO TAKE OFF ALL YOUR CLOTHES AND WANDER OFF INTO THE WOODS YOU FUCK.

Once you've dealt with the exceedingly fragile and volatile psyches of your colonists/tribespeople you will come to the end-goal of eventually getting off the planet, to this end you will build a research bench and acquire gradually more advanced technologies that in turn allow you to acquire better and more building materials, beef up your colony to be better defended and/or more efficient, and eventually you can build and launch your very own space ship to go try and not die in the stars! The odds of getting that far are kinda low though, since the whole time one of 3 AI "storytellers" is actively working against you, handing out boons and curses in measures that vary from one to another, and being prepared for anything they can throw at you just kinda doesn't work, since you usually only have so many hands, and some of them are prone to murderous fits of rage if they have to eat off the floor or step in muffalo poo too many times. As the game progresses though and your tech and colonist skills both advance to impressive levels the game really opens out, you can train local animals to either be simple housepets or loyal beasts of burden or you can train yourself a giant war sloth and send it after raiders, meanwhile where you once had to scavenge firearms off pirates you eventually are able to make your own, though strangely you never acquire the art of crafting first aid kits, which becomes an issue when everyone suddenly contracts malaria.

A lot of the game's difficulty hinges on, aside from your colonists having the mental fortitude of tissue paper, the "random" events though, stuff like lightning storms, pirate raids, trader caravans, and the odd killer robot invasion keep life from getting dull, though occasionally the hemisphere slips into a volcanic winter and everything gets pretty dull for awhile. The constant threat of having to go on damage control of a power grid explosion or pirate raid means you can never really settle into developing your colony unless it is secure and safe (unless you play on a lower difficulty) and having to plan to live through a mini-apocalypse means you really have to stockpile goods instead of just selling them to the first trader who passes by for that cute fennec fox he has WHO'S A GOOD LITTLE SCREAMING FURBALL? I meant medicine, yes those boxes of medicine, because Jim-bob got his leg ripped off by a grizzly last week and you need some medicine to numb him while you attach a peg leg. The damage system is actually pretty exhaustive, with bits as small as individual fingers and facial features being able to be removed by the rigors of combat individually and bodily functions all the way down to blood flow and filtration being impacted both by injuries and disease, though your medical system will, for a time, probably just revolve around amputation and peg legs.

At the end of the colony day though you can't really go into rimworld with the intention of "winning" as the game will not let you do that of its own accord, the best you can hope for is to go in and be ready for the rollercoaster your chosen storyteller plans to send you on, because if you can't laugh at your colonists all being murdered by a pack of bloodthirsty beavers then you really won't like it when you accidentally tunnel into a pair of long dormant killbots and instantly lose everyone to minigun fire.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 03:08 AM)Surge Wrote: Speaking of First Impressions, it dawns on me that I don't think I did one for Rimworld, partly because I was too busy playing Rimworld, so let's do that while the iron is hot.

-review-

This sounds suspiciously like what little I know about Dwarf Fortress, but presumably with better graphics. Sounds like a jolly good HORRENDOUS SELF-INFLICTED TORTURE.

(07-22-2016, 04:07 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 03:08 AM)Surge Wrote: Speaking of First Impressions, it dawns on me that I don't think I did one for Rimworld, partly because I was too busy playing Rimworld, so let's do that while the iron is hot.

-review-

This sounds suspiciously like what little I know about Dwarf Fortress, but presumably with better graphics. Sounds like a jolly good HORRENDOUS SELF-INFLICTED TORTURE.
Yeah there's a lot of overlap, but rimworld is, for all its cruelty, way easier to get into.