Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 07-22-2016

(07-21-2016, 10:04 PM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 06:20 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: what the hell just happened to imgur?

I'll assume you mean the new UI.
In which case you're behind the times. It's been like that for days... Unless you're on mobile.
I haven't seen a single person that likes it so far. Which makes me hope they'll change it back.
At least the comments section. Everyone agrees the comments section looks like total crap now.

It was still the old UI the day before yesterday

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 04:46 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 10:04 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: I'll assume you mean the new UI.
In which case you're behind the times. It's been like that for days... Unless you're on mobile.
I haven't seen a single person that likes it so far. Which makes me hope they'll change it back.
At least the comments section. Everyone agrees the comments section looks like total crap now.

It was still the old UI the day before yesterday

Strange. It first showed up for me like half a week ago.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - roguephoenix64 - 07-22-2016

(07-21-2016, 06:03 PM)Surge Wrote: [Image: f528b32db5c5da4f69d077c4bbefa40b.png]
[Image: c9a867228e53f7b07cb3271bcbb0ef34.png]
[Image: 19b106f83a22b836a26bd6d48c6e5a3a.png]
[Image: cbb5f5df5f70f3d5958d377e262b51f2.png]
[Image: f897582dda92f7212e457e4ad98d522b.png]
heheh
[Image: 415d90eefc7d11cb2241e1b4df42f517.png]
I'm starting to think life here on the colony is dangerous.

How is there a perfectly healthy wolf in no pain but with a gunshot wound through it's right eye?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SilverOtter - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 05:44 AM)roguephoenix64 Wrote: How is there a perfectly healthy wolf in no pain but with a gubshot wound through it's right eye?
The power of Dwarf Fortress-style medicine. with enough removal of flesh, thread, and cloth, you can heal anyone! 

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 06:16 AM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 05:44 AM)roguephoenix64 Wrote: How is there a perfectly healthy wolf in no pain but with a gubshot wound through it's right eye?
The power of Dwarf Fortress-style medicine. with enough removal of flesh, thread, and cloth, you can heal anyone! 

that would end up a skeleton....warped like a mummy

[Image: 92f.jpg]
unexpected pepe

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - roguephoenix64 - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 12:23 AM)Surge Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 12:06 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: Every time I read one of your first impressions or reviews I feel like I've just listened to... I was going to make a comparison but I can't actually think of anything to compare it to.
Humorous, kind of angry and sarcastic (in a good way), while still getting the point across. You should keep doing this.
I try to take cues from reviewers I enjoy reading/hearing from, rock paper shotgun, nerdcubed, zero punctuation, the like, and the result of mixing all that together tends to be very snarky and a bit rude, which is a tone that I think suits me perfectly. It means a lot to know I'm on target with that.

You certainly are on point. I find myself looking forward to your reviews.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-22-2016

Well that's wonderful. I go to open GIMP and apparently suddenly my GIMP install is missing the critical .dll "libfreetype-6.dll"
This has never occured before and nothing has changed, so where the hell did that dll go?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/this-is-what-you-need-to-look-like-if-you-want-to-094416041.html
sheesh, this guy looked like a sontaran, is sontaran evolved/engineered to survive car crashes or orbital drop with minimal gear or starships crashes

So for the hell of it I drafted a concept for a Nexus logo that's drifting away from its Avali heritage, much like our forum has been.
[Image: k9hj4pZ.png]
Not sure why I made it blue. I guess to contrast the current orange. I tried to make it look close to our current one.
-shrug-
Edit: Current for comparison
[Image: nexusheadv3.png]

(07-22-2016, 07:58 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: So for the hell of it I drafted a concept for a Nexus logo that's drifting away from its Avali heritage, much like our forum has been.
[Image: k9hj4pZ.png]
Not sure why I made it blue. I guess to contrast the current orange. I tried to make it look close to our current one.
-shrug-
Edit: Current for comparison
[Image: nexusheadv3.png]

yeah we could use that, including the color change, the lighter blue does help a bit more with the black

(07-22-2016, 08:09 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 07:58 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: -snip-

yeah we could use that, including the color change, the lighter blue does help a bit more with the black

Not recommending we actually change anything. Besides, that would probably entail a domain name and theme change too. Bleh.
And if we did, I doubt I'd be the one to make the new logo.
And if we did, it would probably not resemble the current logo as much.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 08:18 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 08:09 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: yeah we could use that, including the color change, the lighter blue does help a bit more with the black

Not recommending we actually change anything. Besides, that would probably entail a domain name and theme change too. Bleh.

no, no, too much change would be bad, so something like that would be a votable thing, in my eyes it'd be a positive with the feelings I've seen other people having.  But I can't actually speak for anyone but myself, only whisper shadows, so.

If it was put up.  I'd say yes, yours is quite nice.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 08:18 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 08:09 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: yeah we could use that, including the color change, the lighter blue does help a bit more with the black

I'm more of a fan of the black and blue, but that might just be personal bias

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 07-22-2016

New logo would be fine. I like the blue one as well.

Changing the place's domain name would just make people lose track of where it is. The lurkers that come and go with infrequent posts would lose track of us and probably not find it again.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-22-2016

So I'm attempting to start an arctic colony in rimworld. Some lessons so far:
More starting colonists = more pressure to get hydroponics running
You don't get any more wood, fueled anything is a bad idea.
A true hydroponics operation is utterly insane in how much power it needs, for nearly 2000Wd of power you get 6 basins growing 4 plants each 24/7, but you need 4 solar panels to meet that and your plants will die every night when the panels stop working.
Less starting colonists = less labor to get things running, and that labor is fucking essential out of the gate
Once you have 4 walls, a roof, and a working heater temperature kinda stops being an issue miraculously, even if the heater is only running half the day.
edit: okay so we're alive FOR NOW but I think 6 basins may actually not be enough for 3 people.
[Image: d1d117a28ea871b193826f8de702e800.png]
double edit: 4 people now, we're all gonna starve.

so did we get what they've promised? also mechanian mod revivial still have to wait until I finish my diploma,

*at 2:11 with beautiful city scene*
holy shit, I gotta have a mission to let 128 to lette rip/lead a strike force on that kind of map

and they already got wall jumping, damngit I was planning that to be a exclusive feature for the mechanian race to make up their inability to swim

and damn 100USD for a M1A1/2 abrams wanabe and bastion modern MBT legendary skin
https://aw.my.com/gb/news/general/new-collectors-editions

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-22-2016

So Creative Assembly has revealed some info about the new Total Warhammer DLC and how it will work. Some thoughts.

The new DLC is, for those who don't follow Total Warhammer, the Beastmen faction. No the Beastmen are not the sort of werewolves and otherwise magical creatures that we make yiff jokes about, this is fucking Warhammer. The Beastmen are a race of Chaos worshiping minotaur-like abominations, they're incredibly agile and vicious but lack for industry and science, which I predict will show in a lack of anti-armor units, high end missile units, and generally a hard fall-off in the late game where many factions start to really blossom. Much like Archaeon and his Warriors of Chaos the Beastmen are a nomadic faction, with all the usual infrastructure to train and support units being attached to each individual army rather than a city, however unlike Chaos the Beastmen don't start flaying each other if there are two herds anywhere near one another, and what's more they have a "bestial rage" mechanic similar to the orks' "fightiness" and after enough military success an AI brayherd spawns alongside your horde to beat people up for you.

Let's pause for a second here and focus on them taking the defining features of two races and mashing them together until you have the best of both worlds, orks are fucking outstanding at blobbing into crushing numbers but are prone to running away, hopefully the Beastmen will follow in that as they need some sort of drawback, and Chaos excels at long campaigns of death and destruction because they never have to "pull back" and reinforce, but the drawback is that they can't blob like other factions, so of course the Beastmen are all about blobbing. Generally speaking the game is balanced pretty well between the strategy and tactical layers, races that kind of sag on one excel at the other, so I can only hope the Beastmen are fucking piss at the tactical level because this shit is bonkers.

Back to mechanics, the Beastmen, like every faction, have a unique tech tree, very similar to Chaos they can exchange favor for support from the dark gods, in this case in the form of research speed, which offsets the fact that every "normal" tech they research increases the cost of all others. In army movement the Beastmen are also all new and all unique, whenever initiating combat the Beastmen have a chance to ambush the enemy, as their default movement stance is ambush, when encamped they are invisible to most enemy armies save those close enough, and they have their own version of the underway which they can use to bypass terrain obstacles at the risk of being intercepted. The Beastmen are also prone to infighting if not at war with somebody or worse, if allied to somebody.

Okay what the fuck, I feel like the only recourse against the Beastmen is going to be hunkering in your settlements and hoping for the best since they just automatically fucking ambush anyone they catch in the open. The research tree looks nice, I appreciate how every faction has unique research mechanics and it looks like the Beastmen will have to pick and choose what techs they want to research early, decide what bonuses matter most and which can be put off, although when you have momentum behind you as a horde faction favor can roll in mighty fast. The diplomacy is a slightly odd choice though, Chaos has basically no chance of allying with anyone because they're godamn Chaos, the Beastmen likely don't need an incentive to attack everyone they see, and I feel that pressuring them to be at war with multiple empires at once will do little to mitigate how fast they skullfuck lone armies and un-garrisoned settlements. Of course there is a lot that hasn't been revealed yet, and as they say the devil is in the details so the Beastmen may or may not roflstomp the entire old world.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - achroma - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 03:08 PM)Surge Wrote: So I'm attempting to start an arctic colony in rimworld. Some lessons so far:
More starting colonists = more pressure to get hydroponics running
You don't get any more wood, fueled anything is a bad idea.
A true hydroponics operation is utterly insane in how much power it needs, for nearly 2000Wd of power you get 6 basins growing 4 plants each 24/7, but you need 4 solar panels to meet that and your plants will die every night when the panels stop working.
Less starting colonists = less labor to get things running, and that labor is fucking essential out of the gate
Once you have 4 walls, a roof, and a working heater temperature kinda stops being an issue miraculously, even if the heater is only running half the day.
edit: okay so we're alive FOR NOW but I think 6 basins may actually not be enough for 3 people.
[Image: d1d117a28ea871b193826f8de702e800.png]
double edit: 4 people now, we're all gonna starve.
A pack of man hunter boomalope plus turrets is not a good idea. Many died by infected burns or heat stroke (286 degrees C). The ones who didn't died because of hypothermia ( -18 degrees C).
:edit also, camp fires are a good temporary heating source.

http://sciencenewsjournal.com/new-artificial-muscles-holy-grail-soft-robotics/
It is as Battletech foretold, except like, 300 years early.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-23-2016

(07-22-2016, 10:10 PM)Surge Wrote: http://sciencenewsjournal.com/new-artificial-muscles-holy-grail-soft-robotics/
It is as Battletech foretold, except like, 300 years early.
science fiction is what inspires actual scientists to try new things, in spite of the matter that their peers may think them crazy until they finally succeed.  Games like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri would be lame without such an ideal