Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-23-2016

(07-23-2016, 02:27 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 10:10 PM)Surge Wrote: http://sciencenewsjournal.com/new-artificial-muscles-holy-grail-soft-robotics/
It is as Battletech foretold, except like, 300 years early.
science fiction is what inspires actual scientists to try new things, in spite of the matter that their peers may think them crazy until they finally succeed.  Games like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri would be lame without such an ideal
Well the elastomer isn't quite the same as battlemech myomer, being made in sheets as opposed to fiber bundles, but the end function is the same.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 07-23-2016

I think I should drop this here
[Image: tumblr_oaqb4d5nq41uflnsqo1_540.png]
note, that's not kC unfortunatly
black background kinda doesnt help......

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-23-2016

(07-23-2016, 04:05 AM)Surge Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 02:27 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: science fiction is what inspires actual scientists to try new things, in spite of the matter that their peers may think them crazy until they finally succeed.  Games like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri would be lame without such an ideal
Well the elastomer isn't quite the same as battlemech myomer, being made in sheets as opposed to fiber bundles, but the end function is the same.

Rarely is the same.  Like how holograms aren't suspended in midair but need a source material to catch the light.

Alternately, looking at exo-suits and the philosophy of what powered armor is for.  And why Fallout got powered armor so wrong.  Try plated exo-suit.

There is also oobleck, long ago there was an attempt to adapt the use of wax for body armor, with the ideal being that it was both a liquid and a solid.  There are things like liquid blades.  (carefully controlled magnetic fields combined with ferro-fluid) in old sci-fi we are on our way to creating.

Heck, we're on our way to creating plasma spikes and other such energy expensive procedure.

Inspiration is everywhere.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 07-23-2016

it appears I cant get starbound to run, oh well...I was looking forward to it
nvm it works
nope, still broken
okay it's fixed

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-23-2016

(07-23-2016, 09:21 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: it appears I cant get starbound to run, oh well...I was looking forward to it
nvm it works
nope, still broken

Have you deleted your whole starbound folder and reinstalled? I've heard 1.0 has some issues with starting up. Like half the threads on the forum are about it right now.

(07-23-2016, 10:16 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 09:21 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: it appears I cant get starbound to run, oh well...I was looking forward to it
nvm it works
nope, still broken

Have you deleted your whole starbound folder and reinstalled? I've heard 1.0 has some issues with starting up. Like half the threads on the forum are about it right now.

yep that fixed, well the opening is kinda disappointing, hopefully custom races can have their own custom opening mission

well this isnt fun. I cant murder some helpless NPC and claim their housing/settlement as mine or just ravage the area

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 07-23-2016

So I was screwing around on Sarna.net and found a wonderful piece of tech.
[Image: Aquagladius.JPG]
This is the Aquagladius, a gladiatorial combat mech designed for underwater fighting armed only with a flail and a battlemech scale taser. Now with the taser as its only ranged weapon it better be dependable right? WRONG.
The taser weighs 5 tons (10% of the mech's weight) and cannot function underwater (!?!?). On each successful shot the Taser makes 2 checks, a 20 some percent chance to shut down the target or debuff it for a few turns, and a 50% chance to self destruct, dealing 6 damage to the Aquagladius according to gauss rifle rules. Well if it follows gauss rifle rules that means the ammo is non-volatile right? Also wrong, the ammo is even more volatile than the rifle, dealing 6 damage PER REMAINING ROUND when it goes off. The taser is also obviously non-lethal, and gains no benefits from targeting computers.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - YDH - 07-24-2016

So, ballistics aficionados... question about Avali railguns.

Would such weapons be able to vary their projectile velocity to switch between lethal and less lethal rounds? Could you fire normal flechette rounds, swap out for a clip of taser rounds, turn the power down, and stun someone?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - roguephoenix64 - 07-24-2016

Ah, the Tau.
While a lot of their mechs are made incredibly mobile by the use of plasma jets, the KV120 Stormsurge uses the same amount of thrust other mechs use to fly just to control recoil.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 04:13 AM)YDH Wrote: So, ballistics aficionados... question about Avali railguns.

Would such weapons be able to vary their projectile velocity to switch between lethal and less lethal rounds? Could you fire normal flechette rounds, swap out for a clip of taser rounds, turn the power down, and stun someone?

Easiest way to do that would be using plastic darts with limited ferrous metal near the tip of the round.  It would allow you to control the max amount of force applied, without having to put some advanced annoying computer that's bigger than it needs to be on the weapon.  (Screen, method of input[controls], processor, etcetra)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - YDH - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 05:16 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 04:13 AM)YDH Wrote: So, ballistics aficionados... question about Avali railguns.

Easiest way to do that would be using plastic darts with limited ferrous metal near the tip of the round.  It would allow you to control the max amount of force applied, without having to put some advanced annoying computer that's bigger than it needs to be on the weapon.  (Screen, method of input[controls], processor, etcetra)

So changing the material, but not the amount of energy put into firing? Hmm.

What about a firing mode switch, so you would have safe, semi-auto, full auto, and stun velocity?

I assume that either way, the lower velocity will limit the range and accuracy?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 05:41 AM)YDH Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 05:16 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: Easiest way to do that would be using plastic darts with limited ferrous metal near the tip of the round.  It would allow you to control the max amount of force applied, without having to put some advanced annoying computer that's bigger than it needs to be on the weapon.  (Screen, method of input[controls], processor, etcetra)

So changing the material, but not the amount of energy put into firing? Hmm.

What about a firing mode switch, so you would have safe, semi-auto, full auto, and stun velocity?

That's what I meant by the computer stuff.  As a physical selector would not work.  The weapon would be extremely untrustworthy and not worth the trouble or cost.  Even compared to creating and using three different weapons instead. Never trust a computer to do more than two things/settings.

But yeah. Range would be poor on low power.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Segolia - 07-24-2016

Finally caved and got a cool cyberpunk pic done.

Pew Pew
[Image: 4IKmQGL.jpg]

That's, really nice. Too bad you picked that weapon. But oh well, heh.

Gratz.

(07-24-2016, 06:20 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 05:41 AM)YDH Wrote: So changing the material, but not the amount of energy put into firing? Hmm.

That's what I meant by the computer stuff.  As a physical selector would not work.  The weapon would be extremely untrustworthy and not worth the trouble or cost.  Even compared to creating and using three different weapons instead.  Never trust a computer to do more than two things/settings.

But yeah.  Range would be poor on low power.
So if the difference is in the ammunition, would conventional rifles with chemically propelled projectiles be able to alternate between lethal/less lethal rounds if you could pack a stun package in a projectile that small?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 06:40 AM)Segolia Wrote: Finally caved and got a cool cyberpunk pic done.

Pew Pew
[Image: 4IKmQGL.jpg]

Aaaa! That looks great oWo
Also I want that gun.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Segolia - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 08:55 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: That's, really nice.  Too bad you picked that weapon.  But oh well, heh.

Gratz.

What, a sniper rifle? What's wrong with that? 

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 07-24-2016

speaking of big guns
[Image: tumblr_o9p08ybzWj1uflnsqo1_1280.png]
mine's bigger got more barrels
I'm not sure have I posted this before but eh

(07-24-2016, 09:20 AM)Segolia Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 08:55 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: That's, really nice.  Too bad you picked that weapon.  But oh well, heh.

Gratz.

What, a sniper rifle? What's wrong with that? 

It doesn't matter.  Just a personal opinion on 12.7mm rifles, that's all.