Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - comet1337 - 03-15-2017

if blood borne was on pc i'd grab it
but exclusives excmushives
and i'm not too inclined to start investing 400€+ for a single game

tf2 is good for blowing off steam and interacting with people online in the way i like best: kicking their asses
also i can't stop modding doom. like a lot of other people

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 03-16-2017

So I've been low profile around here lately. Time to do Surge things I guess and write a post about a video game nobody cares about.

[Image: concept-madcatmk2-special.png]
OF. GODAMN. HAPPENINGS.

MWO has announced the Civil War update, a massive patch slated for mid-July that will introduce a not-quite-exhaustive list of new technology from the past 20 years of the battletech universe and 4 new mechs that best represent this new era of warfare. The new techs all offer a slew of exciting new possibilities to players new and old. A few oddball techs stand out on the roster of new additions, single-shot rocket launchers and lightweight variants of support equipment. Obviously intended to bolster lesser used variants and techs, but unappealing all the same.

There's only so much that can be said so many months before release, but there are some very serious possibilities in both the new mechs and techs to make or break the game. It can be said for now though that the pricing of the mechs is a bit weird, with the new Uziel being priced identically to a mech literally twice its size, and the generous offerings of premium time usually endemic to these packs is now absent.

Either way though, It's going to be a long spring waiting for the Civil War update this summer.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 03-16-2017

the thing about the single shot rocket launchers is that they could technically fit a lot more in a larger space for less weight, and would thus have access to selective fire opportunities.  With the capability of much smaller mechs able to core mediums and pop the legs off of heavies instantly if they stocked enough of them.  With 1.5 tons getting them 4-8 rocket launchers. depending on the version.  Though you only get one shot if you alpha and are likely to pop your mech due to the increased heat of firing much larger warheads with much more fuel burning off to launch them.  Sometimes a good pilot can make that count.  (especially in CQC where you aren't likely to miss with a rocket and can simply burn someone's leg off)  They are however near useless for targeting light mechs unless you get lucky and as far as vehicles go are generally a waste against anything short of a demolisher tank.  The also have a habit of causing massive target sway, requiring only a few of them able to instantly knock mediums down.

If you want to be an ass you could just stock a bunch of thermal jelly rocket launchers.  Stick a mech with one or two and watch em burn up trying to fight. heh.

Heavies, assaults, and most mediums have no reason to use them though.  Rockets are for lightning assaults and are cheap (though the ammo probably will be slightly pricy).  A weapon meant to burn out as fast as the vehicle(light mechs) using em.

Though of course. In order to get full effect from them. You'd need to have lights operating with friendly MFBs to reload in a constant hit and run. Allowing them to completely strip enemies down with a very small and relatively weak force. MWO doesn't have MFBs, does it? Without them rockets lose their punchy quality.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 03-17-2017

In battletech rockets are usually a cheap, low-tech option to add a bunch of punching power to relatively small mechs. They never really had any place in the kind of mass conflict that MWO depicts. I disagree that lights will like them because, as you said, there are no MFBs. Lights will want that tonnage for lasers more than for rocket pods, but the ability to pack a 20 point alpha for 1.5t will be somewhat tempting, especially for larger mechs that can spare tonnage more easily.
Heat-generating missiles already exist in battletech in the form of inferno SRMs, no need for rocket launchers to carry them, SRMs are even the better carrier for it. Past a point of burying somebody in infernos you're just layering more jelly over an already thick coating of it, and you aren't heating the mech up anymore than you already were, so the volume of fire a rocket launcher puts out is just wasted potential. I also can't help but feel infernos would be slightly gimped in MWO now that I've seen a mech in TT get heated up so much its ammo literally cooked off inside of it.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 03-18-2017

(03-17-2017, 10:01 PM)Surge Wrote: In battletech rockets are usually a cheap, low-tech option to add a bunch of punching power to relatively small mechs. They never really had any place in the kind of mass conflict that MWO depicts. I disagree that lights will like them because, as you said, there are no MFBs. Lights will want that tonnage for lasers more than for rocket pods, but the ability to pack a 20 point alpha for 1.5t will be somewhat tempting, especially for larger mechs that can spare tonnage more easily.
Heat-generating missiles already exist in battletech in the form of inferno SRMs, no need for rocket launchers to carry them, SRMs are even the better carrier for it. Past a point of burying somebody in infernos you're just layering more jelly over an already thick coating of it, and you aren't heating the mech up anymore than you already were, so the volume of fire a rocket launcher puts out is just wasted potential. I also can't help but feel infernos would be slightly gimped in MWO now that I've seen a mech in TT get heated up so much its ammo literally cooked off inside of it.

Some good points, I agree on most, but didn't really want to spend the time typing up every point.  However I didn't fully agree on the point of the inferno rockets which were IS answer to inferno SRMs.  The point I made about the inferno rockets is that they tend to have a longer lasting effect.  Think 2-3x the effect of the others.  During which the mech is not cooling at all.  All heat sinks and the mech's own cooling propensity are reduced to zero during that time.  Larger warheads allows for a different and more volatile or longer lasting thermal mix.  Though I feel all of these things would be ignored by MWO anyways. 

Even if they do the exact same thing as SRM infernos, they have great range over SRMs giving an advantage all the same.  Matching closer with MRMs or LRMs as far as range.  Think American MRLS system from the afghani war.  40 rockets used as artillery before long or non existent reloads back at the field base.  Able to destroy entire compounds with a single volley.  They were added with that ideal to battle-tech.

of course the primary strategy on larger mechs would be to stock your arms with rockets and your CT with your other weapons where able.  Since you are mostly going to be using your arms as a shield to your body anyways.  I mean.  They're cheap and already ran out of ammo stripping the assault's left leg or coring a pesky medium.  What use are they when they're out of ammo other than as a body shield?  Replaceable, effective for their weight, generally high damage.  What's not to like if you can actually hit your shots?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 03-19-2017

[Image: comm58_by_cos_tam-db2r7eg.jpg]

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 03-19-2017

What's that art about? Did you make it? What is that dragon?

I'm probably going to have questions about every art posted. I don't know what makes me curious about art that shows up here.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 03-19-2017

(03-19-2017, 04:54 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: What's that art about? Did you make it? What is that dragon?

I'm probably going to have questions about every art posted. I don't know what makes me curious about art that shows up here.

I am nowhere near that good.

He's a character of mine. I have a personal preference to limit myself to a small number of OCs or whatever, but those few have a lot of backstory.

This guy specifically is called Ven Hao, and he kinda hops dimensions, being a merchant and connoisseuring coffee everywhere he goes.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 03-19-2017

So I've been experimenting with Titanfall 2 lately. At the behest of a memey YouTube video I grabbed a gunrunner (hipfire while sprinting) LMG and at the behest of another player I grabbed the pilot ability to generate holographic decoys.

It's stupid how well it works, I have literally hip-fired my way to gen2 (think prestige from CoD) on the Spitfire LMG just by jumping around randomly and hoping for the best, occasionally saying "ayy lmao" over VC to emphasize the silliness of it all.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - comet1337 - 03-19-2017

'this isn't W+M1, this is ADVANCED W+M1!'
by waving your mouse around and hammering space

speaking of mechs, starbound is getting those too
like, official ones

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - achroma - 03-19-2017

(03-19-2017, 05:29 AM)Reks Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 04:54 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: What's that art about? Did you make it? What is that dragon?

He's a character of mine. I have a personal preference to limit myself to a small number of OCs or whatever, but those few have a lot of backstory.

This guy specifically is called Ven Hao, and he kinda hops dimensions, being a merchant and connoisseuring coffee everywhere he goes.

Magic the gatherings new plane walker: Ven Hao The Coffee lord.
That brings up the question, who does one like their coffee?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 03-19-2017

(03-19-2017, 05:29 AM)Reks Wrote:

Why coffee of all potential things?
(03-19-2017, 01:10 PM)achroma Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 05:29 AM)Reks Wrote: I am nowhere near that good.

Magic the gatherings new plane walker: Ven Hao The Coffee lord.
That brings up the question, who does one like their coffee?
Are you asking how we like coffee?
I don't really drink it but it tasted good when I tried it.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Comito - 03-19-2017

I still exist

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 03-19-2017

(03-19-2017, 04:28 PM)Comito Wrote: I still exist

Happy to hear it.

My only experience with coffee is a lot of stuff that tastes and smells like vomit.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Umbra - 03-19-2017

(03-19-2017, 10:41 AM)comet1337 Wrote: speaking of mechs, starbound is getting those too
like, official ones

Yeah, I'm excited!
They don't look too flattering but who cares? We get mechs.

Oh, and I'm still alive. Kind of.
at this point I'm really just fading in and out of existence here

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 03-20-2017

(03-19-2017, 10:59 PM)Umbra Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 10:41 AM)comet1337 Wrote: speaking of mechs, starbound is getting those too
like, official ones

Yeah, I'm excited!
They don't look too flattering but who cares? We get mechs.

Oh, and I'm still alive. Kind of.
at this point I'm really just fading in and out of existence here
I've lost most of my interest in starbound.

But, hey look I'm back, I noticed you noticed that I was gone. The response to that post kinda ruined somebody noticing my absence.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 03-20-2017

I haven't touched Starbound in years.

KC introduced me to Factorio though, and I've been playing that in addict mode off and on for a while.

Like, I'll play nothing else for a week or two, then do a couple weeks of all the things, then go back to Factorio for another week.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 03-22-2017

I get genre(usually)/game (not usual) moods that do not happen very often but do.there's no game I frequently get hooked on.
I actually don't play my games as much as often I should in my opinion.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 03-22-2017

"hey why is your wishlist empty, what kind of games do you want"

Uhh, I don't really -play- games that much anymore

(Cue incomprehension from person)

What's hard for people to understand my lack of interest in 99% of games these days?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 05:08 AM)Reks Wrote: "hey why is your wishlist empty, what kind of games do you want"

Uhh, I don't really -play- games that much anymore

(Cue incomprehension from person)

What's hard for people to understand my lack of interest in 99% of games these days?
What do you do instead?