Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 04-22-2017

(04-22-2017, 10:18 PM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(04-22-2017, 10:10 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: I think the strangest event with a teacher is when one teacher of mine responded to my class complaining about pollen floating around with "pollen is tree sperm" to gross my class out. I now from this point forward tend to call pollen tree sperm.

That teacher is correct though. The male tree releases pollen to fertilize nearby female trees and maintain genetic diversity in the species as new seeds are produced.

Interestingly enough, bananas being seedless means that they don't make pollen and have no such genetic diversity. A single disease could drive them to extinction practically overnight.

And this already happened once before, that's why 'artificial banana flavor' doesn't taste like real bananas. The artiicial flavor was developed to resemble the older type of banana that is now extremely rare and expensive with very few plants surviving.
We all knew she was right. We were of the age that that still grosses us out but we knew it was true. She was our science teacher after all.

You know i actually don't feel like artifical flavor tends to match the normal flavor but that's a fun fact.

EDIT: how come nobody uses steam chat?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - achroma - 04-23-2017

Speaking of fruit, is it just me or do bananas have no flavour but artificial flavouring does? Its the weirdest thing

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 04-23-2017

(04-23-2017, 02:33 AM)achroma Wrote: Speaking of fruit, is it just me or do bananas have no flavour but artificial flavouring does? Its the weirdest thing

Read OdinYggd's thing on bananas he said to me.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 04-23-2017

(04-22-2017, 10:18 PM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(04-22-2017, 10:10 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: I think the strangest event with a teacher is when one teacher of mine responded to my class complaining about pollen floating around with "pollen is tree sperm" to gross my class out. I now from this point forward tend to call pollen tree sperm.

That teacher is correct though. The male tree releases pollen to fertilize nearby female trees and maintain genetic diversity in the species as new seeds are produced.

Interestingly enough, bananas being seedless means that they don't make pollen and have no such genetic diversity. A single disease could drive them to extinction practically overnight.

And this already happened once before, that's why 'artificial banana flavor' doesn't taste like real bananas. The artiicial flavor was developed to resemble the older type of banana that is now extremely rare and expensive with very few plants surviving.

Yup. Current banana now is called the Cavendish. That other banana type that got disease'd to death is the Gros Michel.

Not sure which one I prefer, given how the artificial flavoring tastes.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 04-23-2017

There are no male or female trees.  Nor are there male or female parts(technically) since plants operate under a different basis, that was simply a layman's explanation since most folks won't have to go farther than that.  The pistil and "ovary" share almost no similarities to mamal reproduction except appearance (And latin use), and many biologists have been trying to change the misconceptions that it's "just like mammalian reproduction" since this was set.  But the fact is that ovary is latin  (obviously based off the latin ovum) and simply means egg carrier.  Called the same as in other reproduction, means people will make the mistake of assumption.  Overall, calling pollen plant sperm is only correct up to the point you start thinking about it.  It doesn't actually hold up with any additional knowledge beyond being a joke to poke fun at queasy folks who haven't done any research.

My science teacher blew up a glass beaker with pottassium and set off a stink bomb in class under "controlled conditions", though it leaked through the room anyways.  Whew.  Also had a frog during class that we were dissecting end up being hollowed out, finding a dead rat inside that had eaten the frog's innards.  So there's that.  Scared classmates at one point because the low levity I treated a dead cat with while we were dissecting it.  Had to use my bare hands to pull back the ribs after splitting the cartilage, classmate I was working with nearly vomited.  And i'm supposed to be the one with a weak stomach.

Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 04-24-2017

So we're doing an art secret santa on a worldbuilding server I moderate for. Somehow I got roped into it and this is what was done for me.[Image: 06142c1ebd22207c63ce99f7af2bb08b.jpg]

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 04-24-2017

is that a pro genji robo surge?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 04-24-2017

(04-24-2017, 04:50 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: is that a pro genji robo surge?
I NEED HEALING

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 04-24-2017

(04-24-2017, 10:37 AM)Surge Wrote:
(04-24-2017, 04:50 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: is that a pro genji robo surge?
I NEED HEALING
[Image: 211.jpg]
[Image: d94.jpg]

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 04-24-2017

(04-24-2017, 03:30 AM)Surge Wrote: So we're doing an art secret santa on a worldbuilding server I moderate for. Somehow I got roped into it and this is what was done for me.[Image: 06142c1ebd22207c63ce99f7af2bb08b.jpg]

What did you draw?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 04-24-2017

I haven't done it yet. I'll set aside a few hours this afternoon for it

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 04-24-2017

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 04-24-2017

(04-24-2017, 01:25 PM)Reks Wrote:
Those look really nice. I think your pretty good at drawing avali and other things. I'd give you constructive criticism but I'm not an artist so I don't know how it could be improved if at all. 

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - comet1337 - 04-24-2017

i don't know how reks does it, but they all look so soft and fluffy
it's great

also this new stellaris update is pretty cool

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 04-25-2017

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 04-26-2017

Does my profile pic look like it belongs to a girl?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - kawaiiChiimera - 04-26-2017

(04-25-2017, 09:54 AM)Reks Wrote:
Something something fatvali.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 04-26-2017

kC no!

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Reks - 04-26-2017

(04-26-2017, 01:00 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 09:54 AM)Reks Wrote:
Something something fatvali.

Sorry Mario, but your fetishes are in another castle

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - AustinLB90 - 04-26-2017

Marxon?