Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 05-19-2020

(05-15-2020, 06:14 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: Staying home from work for a month ended up revealing a few things about the kind of work environment I've been dealing with. I might very well not go back, by choice, in order to pursue a different job somewhere else. Really need to stop putting it off and get looking, unemployment does eventually stop paying out.

THey been hiding things from their workers or is it more dangerous or personal than that?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 05-21-2020

(05-19-2020, 04:44 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 06:14 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: Staying home from work for a month ended up revealing a few things about the kind of work environment I've been dealing with. I might very well not go back, by choice, in order to pursue a different job somewhere else. Really need to stop putting it off and get looking, unemployment does eventually stop paying out.

THey been hiding things from their workers or is it more dangerous or personal than that?

Moreso realizing just how much the stress of dealing with idiotic coworkers has been dragging down my mood all the time. I'm always coming home grumpy.

Also that was a huge shower of errors just now. I may need to update the forum, which could possibly break the skins.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 01:23 AM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 04:44 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: THey been hiding things from their workers or is it more dangerous or personal than that?

Moreso realizing just how much the stress of dealing with idiotic coworkers has been dragging down my mood all the time. I'm always coming home grumpy.

Also that was a huge shower of errors just now. I may need to update the forum, which could possibly break the skins.

Ahh.  Yeah but that is the norm everywhere. 

Been getting those errors for months every message.  I've gotten used to it.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Penguin - 07-01-2020

Fixing problems probably outweighs aesthetics, though I would miss them. Echoes of a time long gone and all that.

edit: Also, hi again.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-01-2020

(07-01-2020, 02:54 AM)Penguin Wrote: Fixing problems probably outweighs aesthetics, though I would miss them. Echoes of a time long gone and all that.

edit: Also, hi again.

hello.  I also agree.  Better to fix the issues before it becomes a ball of pain or an impossibility.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 07-25-2020

We're already in the realm of pain for getting updates and repairs made. This software is years old and might not even have updates available for it anymore.

Everything wearing away in time. Making the server run is easy, making a website stay presentable over time not so much.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 07-28-2020

(07-25-2020, 01:05 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: We're already in the realm of pain for getting updates and repairs made. This software is years old and might not even have updates available for it anymore.

Everything wearing away in time. Making the server run is easy, making a website stay presentable over time not so much.

I know that all too well.  It's why so many forums at this point are uggly as hell.  Just left completely vanilla.  Maybe a dark theme if you're lucky.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 08-22-2020

Speaking of making the server run somehow we got a huge surge of activity to the point that it tripped a bandwidth warning. But I haven't found anything obvious to explain it either. Still nowhere near the actual capabilities, just over what I had provisioned for this site.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - achroma - 11-08-2020

(08-22-2020, 12:39 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: Speaking of making the server run somehow we got a huge surge of activity to the point that it tripped a bandwidth warning. But I haven't found anything obvious to explain it either. Still nowhere near the actual capabilities, just over what I had provisioned for this site.

It also seems that something similar may have happened recently again

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 12-11-2020

(11-08-2020, 04:41 PM)achroma Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 12:39 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: Speaking of making the server run somehow we got a huge surge of activity to the point that it tripped a bandwidth warning. But I haven't found anything obvious to explain it either. Still nowhere near the actual capabilities, just over what I had provisioned for this site.

It also seems that something similar may have happened recently again

And again now too..  Was a few days where I couldn't log in.  Got a weird error.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 12-13-2020

There has been an increase in the number of hacking attempts against it, the defenses are using more ram than normal and a few times now have caused other processes to crash.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 12-29-2020

(12-13-2020, 02:11 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: There has been an increase in the number of hacking attempts against it, the defenses are using more ram than normal and a few times now have caused other processes to crash.

A trojan has managed to inject itself into the site.  Glad I have protection...  ffhacktics.com, which is shared in name by a different domain.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - achroma - 01-02-2021

(12-29-2020, 04:06 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 02:11 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: There has been an increase in the number of hacking attempts against it, the defenses are using more ram than normal and a few times now have caused other processes to crash.

A trojan has managed to inject itself into the site.  Glad I have protection...  ffhacktics.com, which is shared in name by a different domain.

I’m not going to lie, this message is kinda very suspicious

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 01-08-2021

Is there? I haven't gotten any warnings about it. Could have been a drive-by attack.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Penguin - 01-10-2021

I've seen a warning pop up for "FFHACKTICS" in older pages of some of the threads. I think it might be tied to an old signature of someone, but, not entirely certain.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 02-07-2021

(01-02-2021, 07:39 AM)achroma Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 04:06 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: A trojan has managed to inject itself into the site.  Glad I have protection...  ffhacktics.com, which is shared in name by a different domain.

I’m not going to lie, this message is kinda very suspicious

i've admittedly had people say this about me a lot in the past.  Just because I talk weird..  I had an antivirus active, with a week left until it's license expired when I sent that message.

Had done some manual research to figure out about the trojan note.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 02-15-2021

On the subject of a new RP..  as silly as it might seem.  Would it be preferred to run in a fantasy medieval style, a spacer, single planet, universal.  Hybridized?  Would it be preferred to have a darker background theme, but without forcing that theme to the front?  Allowing the players to determine their path?  Would a lighter theme be preferred? 

I have pre-made worlds.  Including variants of some.

Demons of Epicaria; A set of twin parallel worlds that are often at war.  Though both seek peace.  Differences make this difficult or impossible at times.  Theme is medieval epic fantasy.  Has many >very< dark undertones, but can be ran much more brightly if one wishes.  The room for alternate races is via Demonia, as the Demona race can be of nigh any appearance and capability, but are all technically of the same race.  Epicarian races are standard fantasy fare+ some.

Dark themes include witches, curses, soul theft and destruction, references to body horror in some cases.  Specific description of injuries and other such things within magic.  Technically anything is possible in this..  anything

Talent seekers was an idea from someone else I took and ran with, technically.  But it is a school style setup of arena combat and training classes.  Where you are provided a singular animal companion who in the end determines your own non-natural abilities.  As with them you are more than human.  Though this is all human race-wise, your companion is a modified animal in nature.  Every person gets one companion.  There are two variants to this one.  One is that the school is real.  And might have ulterior motives.  The other is that it is a simulation preparing you for survival after-earth.  And is survival-exploration based somewhat off of the idea of the Lost Planet series of games in a fashion.

Finally.  Destination Hell.  Making a simplified adaptation of my spacer pen and paper spacer-RPG that is currently in progress.  I can build a non-rolling 'campaign' or story to let players interact with, and list races, their advantages, and disadvantages, including working with building non-official race modules for the benefit of others.

Alternately I can try to just, improvise something small and fuddle about and hope it amuses anybody who joins.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - achroma - 02-21-2021

(02-07-2021, 05:36 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 07:39 AM)achroma Wrote: I’m not going to lie, this message is kinda very suspicious

i've admittedly had people say this about me a lot in the past.  Just because I talk weird..  I had an antivirus active, with a week left until it's license expired when I sent that message.

Had done some manual research to figure out about the trojan note.

The grammar felt a bit off for whatever reason. No big issue, seeing as I kinda gleaned some context as the discussion progressed

(02-15-2021, 03:08 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: On the subject of a new RP..  as silly as it might seem.  Would it be preferred to run in a fantasy medieval style, a spacer, single planet, universal.  Hybridized?  Would it be preferred to have a darker background theme, but without forcing that theme to the front?  Allowing the players to determine their path?  Would a lighter theme be preferred? 

Demons of Epicaria; A set of twin parallel worlds that are often at war.  Though both seek peace.  Differences make this difficult or impossible at times.  Theme is medieval epic fantasy.  Has many >very< dark undertones, but can be ran much more brightly if one wishes.  The room for alternate races is via Demonia, as the Demona race can be of nigh any appearance and capability, but are all technically of the same race.  Epicarian races are standard fantasy fare+ some.

Dark themes include witches, curses, soul theft and destruction, references to body horror in some cases.  Specific description of injuries and other such things within magic.  Technically anything is possible in this..  anything

Talent seekers was an idea from someone else I took and ran with, technically.  But it is a school style setup of arena combat and training classes.  Where you are provided a singular animal companion who in the end determines your own non-natural abilities.  As with them you are more than human.  Though this is all human race-wise, your companion is a modified animal in nature.  Every person gets one companion.  There are two variants to this one.  One is that the school is real.  And might have ulterior motives.  The other is that it is a simulation preparing you for survival after-earth.  And is survival-exploration based somewhat off of the idea of the Lost Planet series of games in a fashion.

Finally.  Destination Hell.  Making a simplified adaptation of my spacer pen and paper spacer-RPG that is currently in progress.  I can build a non-rolling 'campaign' or story to let players interact with, and list races, their advantages, and disadvantages, including working with building non-official race modules for the benefit of others.

Alternately I can try to just, improvise something small and fuddle about and hope it amuses anybody who joins.

In regards to this, I’m leaning more towards the first option, as these days I’ve seldom come across fantasy settings outside of D&D, and I think it would be an interesting change of pace. However, I do also believe that Improv is something that often results in some rather fun situations as well.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Penguin - 02-22-2021

Personally no preference in terms of fantasy or something Sci-fantasy or what not.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 02-28-2021

(02-21-2021, 07:18 AM)achroma Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 03:08 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: On the subject of a new RP..  as silly as it might seem.  Would it be preferred to run in a fantasy medieval style, a spacer, single planet, universal.  Hybridized?  Would it be preferred to have a darker background theme, but without forcing that theme to the front?  Allowing the players to determine their path?  Would a lighter theme be preferred? 

In regards to this, I’m leaning more towards the first option, as these days I’ve seldom come across fantasy settings outside of D&D, and I think it would be an interesting change of pace. However, I do also believe that Improv is something that often results in some rather fun situations as well.

But relies on a storyteller who doesn't run out of steam or having enough people.  Which is why I went first for a semi-defined world situation with many freedoms.  Since it lets someone set the world basis and then lets people run with it.  Demons of Epicaria is good for that..  Think i'll get to just building something now, assuming it'll let me.

Edit:  Ahh.  Normal members don't have that right.  Damn.  Was about to dump 7 hours into trying to write up a megathread start again.  Oh well.

Re-edit: Gonna try to think of something. Maybe have to write up a large few posts mid thread as an offshoot or something, then try to keep that message hyperlinked in my Avi or something. That could work if nothing else is available.