Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Rahizel - 06-17-2016

(06-16-2016, 11:38 PM)Ehksidian Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 11:34 PM)SilverOtter Wrote: Good luck playing. It's convoluted, having been constantly worked on on a shitty Multi-User-Dungeon engine for the past few years, with almost all refactoring breakthroughs within recent history. Feature upon feature had been layered for your enjoyment of the weirdest learning curve ever.

There's three different codebases, one of which is wildly different from the other two and only reveals it's source once every epoch, with a bunch of minor branches with different rules or some tweaks or something (and occasionally, an entirely new thing).

It's reliant on roleplay, with the only restriction being what you can RP away (and on servers with no RP, there are no limits). Rounds vary between xenomorphs killing everybody 2 minutes into the round, to Cargo building an engine in their bay to power the lights they need to shoot the tide of revolutionaries.

Security will get high. Clowns will do backalley surgery. Medical will test the new drugs on you. The bar's always full. The engine is dangerously close to a runaway event. You tore a xeno a new one from the inside, then immediately died to a combination of Beepsky's stun rod and low oxygen. The main hall has no floors. Cargo is rooting through disposals. Xenoflora accidentally made crawling death. Xenobio made a sentient pine tree. Chemistry has meth in the front and plasma-oxygen bombs in the back. Mining just lost their mech, Robotics was killed by rouge cyborgs. You were cloned, and found the Captain's ID on the floor of Cargo entrance. The AI is practically SHODAN. The Exit Bay is vented and the atmospherics code will take an hour to refill it. Space racism towards lizard-people. Space lynching of cat-people. Space disgruntlement towards slime-people. That's Space Station 13.

the code of ss13 is literally horrifying in a beautiful way from what i've seen
one person i know looks into it. they found a thing called MEGAMADCRAB, which appears 50% of the time when you kill crabs with wire cutters. it's completely fucking broken, and ancient.
it's like some unholy elder god or some shit, lost and buried within the code and only recently rediscovered.

EDIT: found it!
https://github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13/issues/10427
The crab gods do not approve of you performing amputations on crabs.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SilverOtter - 06-17-2016

(06-16-2016, 11:38 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: the code of ss13 is literally horrifying in a beautiful way from what i've seen
one person i know looks into it. they found a thing called MEGAMADCRAB, which appears 50% of the time when you kill crabs with wire cutters. it's completely fucking broken, and ancient.
it's like some unholy elder god or some shit, lost and buried within the code and only recently rediscovered.

The creator of BYOND was noted to have never used swear words on his own forum. 

And then he discussed SS13.

"Wow, that's insane. It's a fucking miracle that even compiles at all."

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 06-17-2016

[Image: m8q9o2G.jpg]
I fucked up.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SilverOtter - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 01:03 AM)Surge Wrote: [Image: m8q9o2G.jpg]
I fucked up.

So, where did a big chunk of your territory go?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 01:14 AM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:03 AM)Surge Wrote: [Image: m8q9o2G.jpg]
I fucked up.

So, where did a big chunk of your territory go?
All kinds of things are wrong in this screenshot other than the blinding neon green, for one this is a hyperdrive only game, you'll note the lack of hyperlanes. As for the oblong shape of my territory I have literally no idea.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Ehksidian - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 12:58 AM)SilverOtter Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 11:38 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: the code of ss13 is literally horrifying in a beautiful way from what i've seen

The creator of BYOND was noted to have never used swear words on his own forum. 

absolutely incredible.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Rahizel - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 01:41 AM)Ehksidian Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 12:58 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: The creator of BYOND was noted to have never used swear words on his own forum. 

absolutely incredible.
I have an overwhelming urge to pet you.

I must be going crazy from sleep deprivation.

I'm definitely out of my mind.

Wheeeeeeeeeee

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Ehksidian - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 01:44 AM)Rahizel Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:41 AM)Ehksidian Wrote: absolutely incredible.

Wheeeeeeeeeee

go the fuck to sleep, and don't say "i want to pet you" to people you don't know.
that's weird.

[Image: AXlTqBE.jpg]
Okay so I finally got a game going properly, this is my empire, and I'm about to tell you why it is absolutely haram.
[Image: O1b3ECP.jpg]
This is my home system, as you can see my species evolved on an ancient construct left here by mysterious hyper advanced aliens, their legacy of industry and technology on this ringworld has given me a considerable head start over the rest of the galaxy.
[Image: JBcYhb6.jpg]
This is the next system over, apparently these precursors got around and built more than one of these ringworlds, the others didn't fare so well though. The ruins are a scientific GOLDMINE though, and there are even usable materials to be found in them.
[Image: oBSRmzO.jpg]
A few more systems over, there is yet another damn ringworld, seriously how did they fund all of these?
[Image: 8ycNLVl.jpg]
Now this is the real kicker, superstructural reassembly will allow us to take the surviving framework of those ruined ringworlds and rebuild them.
Each ringworld is, for purposes of game mechanics, equal to 4 max size gaia worlds, which means that the surface, being carefully regulated, will be perfectly tailored to my colonists. I don't know if the rebuilt ringworlds will have the same ancient industrial complexes as Otigur, but frankly they won't need to.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 01:44 AM)Rahizel Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:41 AM)Ehksidian Wrote: absolutely incredible.

Wheeeeeeeeeee

-subliminal message-
Pet the jakkai
-/subliminal message-

Also this
[Image: tumblr_o8vx0f8TTh1qiu0doo4_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_o8vx0f8TTh1qiu0doo5_1280.gif]

Full comic btw
http://kpfightmaster.tumblr.com/post/146030377349/more-antics-from-the-attacking-team-everyone-sure

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 04:59 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:44 AM)Rahizel Wrote: I have an overwhelming urge to pet you.

Wheeeeeeeeeee

-subliminal message-
Pet the jakkai
-/subliminal message-

Also this
Snip

Full comic btw
http://kpfightmaster.tumblr.com/post/146030377349/more-antics-from-the-attacking-team-everyone-sure

Argh I like all the character designs in Overwatch so much it almost makes me want to play it...
...But... MOBAs...

Edit for clarification: By MOBA I mostly meant the PvP-focused aspect of it in small areas - I'm fully aware it isn't a top-down game.

....have you not seen any Overwatch gameplay yet?

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 06-17-2016

(06-17-2016, 06:27 AM)Surge Wrote: ....have you not seen any Overwatch gameplay yet?

Very little.
(I assume this is because I called it a MOBA. I know that's not correct, but it is TECHNICALLY correct. It is Multiplayer. It is Online. It is Battles. And it is in an Arena. Nowhere in the name does it specify top-down. I consider stuff like it and TF2 to be FPS MOBAs, despite that probably being completely wrong for one reason or another.)

Edit for clarification (again): I rarely enjoy PvP and I even more rarely enjoy PvP-centric games.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 06-17-2016

I actually can't suggest overwatch to anyone.  It gets repetetive really, really fast, let me go quote myself from another forum quick.

Quote:If only it had a higher skill ceiling. As in the highest skill level a player can reach in the game is limited by the slow speed of projectiles or short range of many of the weapons.  It has fewer differing skills (not as in character skills, rather player based skills) used and they don't work in conjunction with each other as much compared to other games. There would need to be more than only visual customization on the characters to increase it at this point.  As it's kind of a throw away game that gets repetitive quickly once you realize that player skill and team cohesion is less important than knowing which group works the best.  Or just spam tanks forever and win.

Trust me when I tell you all to wait and see if it gets better.  Otherwise it's going to die off rapidly.

Also, it isn't a moba.  Moba is lane control.  Overwatch is TF2 for kids.

Want a better game that's free?  Go play TF2.  

(06-17-2016, 07:00 AM)Shaadaris Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 06:27 AM)Surge Wrote: ....have you not seen any Overwatch gameplay yet?

Very little.
(I assume this is because I called it a MOBA. I know that's not correct, but it is TECHNICALLY correct. It is Multiplayer. It is Online. It is Battles. And it is in an Arena. Nowhere in the name does it specify top-down. I consider stuff like it and TF2 to be FPS MOBAs, despite that probably being completely wrong for one reason or another.)

Edit for clarification (again): I rarely enjoy PvP and I even more rarely enjoy PvP-centric games.

By that definition every single versus game ever is a moba including puzzle games where the board is your arena where you battle it out for the top score. 

I dislike PVP too usually. I can't play TF2 anymore because I'll end up in the hospital if I do.

Edit: Shite. I double posted.

[Image: wYFcLLk.jpg]
Update on Surge's ringworld madness, #2 is almost fully restored, the logistical and power systems are all in place and now it is merely a game of establishing the habitats, which I am researching the tech to do.

(06-17-2016, 04:59 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:44 AM)Rahizel Wrote: I have an overwhelming urge to pet you.

Wheeeeeeeeeee

-subliminal message-
Pet the jakkai
-/subliminal message-

Also this
[Image: tumblr_o8vx0f8TTh1qiu0doo4_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_o8vx0f8TTh1qiu0doo5_1280.gif]

Full comic btw
Yes.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Umbra - 06-17-2016

It is kinda funny and brain-twisting how Reaper has an infinite supply of guns. There's even a spray called "psst" of him holding his coat open to reveal a line of shotguns.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 06-17-2016

and now crossout is annoying, i mean the idea of a repair system isnt far fetched but it's annoying

Welcome to Gaijin games.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - kawaiiChiimera - 06-17-2016

[Image: dPwLxNz.png]