Avali Nexus
Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Printable Version

+- Avali Nexus (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Avali Nexus General (http://avalinexus.seraphimlabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... (/showthread.php?tid=82)

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 06-28-2016

GWX is basically malware pushed through Windows Update to force people to upgrade to Windows 10.

You can stop it completely from being installed by blacklisting like 6 different updates that all contain it. In addition those same updates also backport Windows 10 privacy intrusions onto Windows 7 and 8, so they should be blocked regardless.

I refuse to update my stuff to Windows 10. Its a shame about that privacy hole, because Windows 10 really is a nice OS. But I am NOT OK with Microsoft feeling the need to help themselves to my stuff and not being able to turn that off without straight up sabotaging several of the OS's features. My computer has proprietary information on it related to my work, and my inventions, that is not to be seen by anybody but me without a court order to reveal it. How dare they think they can just take a look behind my back. 

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 06-28-2016

I reread Dresden Codak yesterday and it astounds me how the comic manages to be so schizophrenic and still be tied together. It alludes to the current arc very early on.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Rahizel - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 01:01 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: GWX is basically malware pushed through Windows Update to force people to upgrade to Windows 10.

You can stop it completely from being installed by blacklisting like 6 different updates that all contain it. In addition those same updates also backport Windows 10 privacy intrusions onto Windows 7 and 8, so they should be blocked regardless.

I refuse to update my stuff to Windows 10. Its a shame about that privacy hole, because Windows 10 really is a nice OS. But I am NOT OK with Microsoft feeling the need to help themselves to my stuff and not being able to turn that off without straight up sabotaging several of the OS's features. My computer has proprietary information on it related to my work, and my inventions, that is not to be seen by anybody but me without a court order to reveal it. How dare they think they can just take a look behind my back. 
You were never actually asked if you wanted it.

It downloads 6 gb of stuff to preload it too.

Actively prevents being disabled unless its from another program.

And it classifies as PUP.

You decide if it's malware.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - OdinYggd - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 01:33 PM)Rahizel Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 01:01 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: GWX is basically malware pushed through Windows Update to force people to upgrade to Windows 10.

You were never actually asked if you wanted it.

No, you were asked. Repeatedly. Using annoying popup nagscreens and ads. When that alone wasn't enough, Microsoft started resorting to misleading controls and intentionally defying their own convention to trick people into updating. Because clearly the experts at microsoft know better than everyone else in the world how to use their product and which version is the best.

Someone won a lawsuit against Microsoft recently wherein the misleading GWX stuff tricked them into upgrading when they didn't want to, and that upgrade broke the software they were using to run their travel agency, leading to nearly $20,000 in lost sales. Microsoft actually had to pay them damages, and I hope a flood of court cases follow for the same sorts of things.

But the court case I really want to see is concerning the privacy matters. Because marketting or not Microsoft has no right to touch my stuff.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Rahizel - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 02:21 PM)OdinYggd Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 01:33 PM)Rahizel Wrote: You were never actually asked if you wanted it.

No, you were asked. Repeatedly. Using annoying popup nagscreens and ads. When that alone wasn't enough, Microsoft started resorting to misleading controls and intentionally defying their own convention to trick people into updating. Because clearly the experts at microsoft know better than everyone else in the world how to use their product and which version is the best.

Someone won a lawsuit against Microsoft recently wherein the misleading GWX stuff tricked them into upgrading when they didn't want to, and that upgrade broke the software they were using to run their travel agency, leading to nearly $20,000 in lost sales. Microsoft actually had to pay them damages, and I hope a flood of court cases follow for the same sorts of things.

But the court case I really want to see is concerning the privacy matters. Because marketting or not Microsoft has no right to touch my stuff.
I meant you were not asked to install the program that causes the annoying notifications.

And that is sad but not surprising.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 06-28-2016

so a few days ago before I learn about the GWX control panel thing, I just right click and choose the "hide update" option and now i cant find the win 10 update to uncheck/check on it status

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Comito - 06-28-2016

Comito, now in anthro flavor!

(06-28-2016, 03:47 PM)Comito Wrote: Comito, now in anthro flavor!

See? Cargo shorts are awesome.

But holy crap that's freaking amazing.
Words cannot explain how amazi- wait I got one!
BURD!

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SCN-3_NULL - 06-28-2016

[Image: tumblr_n9wlt37Cfd1s9rrcgo1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_n9wlt37Cfd1s9rrcgo2_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_n9wlt37Cfd1s9rrcgo3_250.gif][Image: tumblr_n9wlt37Cfd1s9rrcgo4_250.gif]
"sir, what's that in your hoodie"

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Surge - 06-28-2016

Went through all my old toy cars from when I was a kid. I had some pretty cool hot wheels apparently.

Well, right now life is being extra miserable.

I'm gonna maybe disappear for a bit unless I can fix things easy.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Lost Rinoah - 06-28-2016

I just looked up the file names and disabled them as well as deleting them as far as windows ten goes. Now it's gone.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Ehksidian - 06-28-2016

speaking of art gotten recently

bingo bango bongo i just realized i didn't share this here oops.

(06-28-2016, 06:04 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: speaking of art gotten recently

When a majority of Jakkai art is of your character.

That should be screaming something at you.

You are an addict...

Art is still good though. Anyways kthxbai

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Ehksidian - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 06:20 PM)Rahizel Wrote:

When a majority of Jakkai art is of your character.

That should be screaming something at you.

You are an addict...

Art is still good though. Anyways kthxbai

nah, majority of jakkai art isn't my 'sona. it just seems like that.

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Umbra - 06-28-2016

I have a feeling you like D.Va.

It's okay, though. I kind of want to know what it'd look like if my 'sona was dressed like Junkrat or Reinhardt >w>
I'd say Reaper too but he's too fucking edgy and it's exactly what you'd expect

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - SilverOtter - 06-28-2016

My father works at Amazon, and can vouch for thier pain. The initial tests revealed that the first boot-up must always connect to the internet, a problem for the computers on closed networks. They've set up the heaviest screening process for every single update from Microsoft, carefully watching the test enviroments for days. The result is the work computers only get the sanitized updates roughly a month and a half later. They're currently trying to figure out how to block Microsoft's phone-home signal, now that the updates are secrectly and randomly changing which port it's using.

They also cannot install newer versions of Office, because OneDrive will begin syncing ALL your files before you can even have the chance to turn it off.

Oh, yeah, and using Group Policies to try and shut down anything doesn't work, because the next bootup has Windows reset the Policies if it sees you doing that.

I couldn't figure out what character you were dressed as, until I saw the tags.

I need to keep my eye on Overwatch more.

I've been meaning to get an overwatch commission from pocketstash

RE: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago... - Shaadaris - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 01:01 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: blacklisting like 6 different updates that all contain it.

YOU CAN BLACKLIST UPDATES? TELL ME HOW!
Seriously I have a list of updates easily 50 long that I have to manually go through and hide every time they pop up and it's horrendous.

*while everyone beside you can get and run overwatch*
*still cant make any purchases with its bank-debit card services and its machine is getting too old to run newer games*
Anyway I guess I'm kinda of a bastion, soldier 76 or genji player?

[Image: tumblr_o96m5p77aX1uvv5gho2_500.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_o96m5p77aX1uvv5gho3_500.jpg]
Apperently birbs are also part liquid/semi solid