Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07-07-2016, 07:00 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2016, 06:52 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]in cold environments like avalon explosives cannot actually go off, as you can't even spark the detonations.  You're thinking plastic or chemical explosions now.  Plastic explosives would require massive chemical research advancement beyond fire.  And chemical reactions would just lose their energy faster than they produce it.  The ONLY flammables that Avalon would even allow to survive would be extremes like thermite, even then, that would require an oxygen atmosphere.  So.  Completely ruins thoughts of human methodology of advancements.  

They'd only be able to start at batteries and electricity of low values and advance using combined hybrid materials, lever style tech, and superconductivity caused by the temperatures on their world.  There would be no fire, no explosives.  I've brought up the possibility of using frozen saline solution or tubes filled with it as the earliest wires.  As metalworking would be useless at such temperatures, where you would use liquid frozen over cloth or hide that you file down to be sharp as your tools.  Or flint napping.  Magnetism would be an everyday life type thing from early on and the temperatures make discovery and advancement of electricity very easy and rapid.
so you're saying we're more likely to find a crossbow-railgun hybrid/precursor than a flintlock/musket alikes? man we really could use Ryuujin's validation, where the hell is he anyway?

despite being called facist/nazi, the troops still know how to have fun
more here: https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t863319/
Yes, actually, that is what I am saying.  Though before then there would be a lot more slings, ice tools, and other manipulations of materials that would be easy and constant on avalon that are rare on earth, without temperature being really hot compared.  Even mercury(element) would be absolutely useless, impossible to forge or shape at all on avalon. 

The only thing that wouldn't be effected there really would be salt.  Being the material with the highest thermal resistance going both ways, it would be a primary insulator material as it would be EXTREMELY common there due to temperature and what reactions are even allowed to occurr.  The abrasiveness of the salt would not be brought into the picture at such low temperatures where it cannot melt ice.  And being based on the chemicals they are, would not have the ill effect on them it has on us of dehydration.  Nor would it be required for their bodies, or effect them at all.

Because being a soldier in the war just magically makes you counted as being a supporter of your government and the social party that runs it, and not, you know, someone who just wants to protect their family from getting sent to a labor camp if they didn't join the military.
Did null seriously just link to stormfront?

Like, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt THIS TIME and point out that stormfront is best described as an "organized racism" group. You can probably find plenty of threads on their forums where this doesn't show but that's their reputation, I'd be leery of linking directly to them.
(07-07-2016, 08:00 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Did null seriously just link to stormfront?

Like, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt THIS TIME and point out that stormfront is best described as an "organized racism" group. You can probably find plenty of threads on their forums where this doesn't show but that's their reputation, I'd be leery of linking directly to them.

Jeese fine, I'll scrape the url off, what's next brain bleach? I only got a cranial drill but it could work
(07-07-2016, 08:05 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2016, 08:00 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Did null seriously just link to stormfront?

Jeese fine, I'll scrape the url off, what's next brain bleach? I only got a cranial drill but it could work
I'm just saying, they likely don't affect you or any Malaysian communities in the web so I'm willing to accept that you had never heard of them, but sending people a link to a neo-Nazi forum won't go well in any western communities.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormfront_(website)
(07-07-2016, 08:11 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2016, 08:05 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Jeese fine, I'll scrape the url off, what's next brain bleach? I only got a cranial drill but it could work
I'm just saying, they likely don't affect you or any Malaysian communities in the web so I'm willing to accept that you had never heard of them, but sending people a link to a neo-Nazi forum won't go well in any western communities.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormfront_(website)

By Confucius' beard, how long have I been living in a cave!? 20 years 4 months, shut up.....
(07-07-2016, 11:58 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Snip
brits and tea(you guys stole it from the chinese)

Edit: tea scented soap
My Mom has a bar of soap made with tea tree oil. It smells nothing like tea, but it's kind of nice.

(07-07-2016, 04:54 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Snip
the ship sank
The ship was at port, when it spontaneously exploded.
Hey, guys! I need a 'professional' opinion, and by that I mean the opinion of a bunch of people on the internet.

I decided to try my hand at drawing a certain symbol in GIMP, and I'm not sure which of these looks better.

[attachment=45][attachment=46][attachment=47]

Thoughts? Specifically, which looks better?
If it helps, it's going to be a "brand" of sorts that distinguishes a somewhat supernatural race from Humans.
(07-07-2016, 11:22 PM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, guys! I need a 'professional' opinion, and by that I mean the opinion of a bunch of people on the internet.

I decided to try my hand at drawing a certain symbol in GIMP, and I'm not sure which of these looks better.

Thoughts?

I'd say the first. Has a more defined shape than the second.
Though I'm sure the second would have its uses too. Really depends on where you intend to use it (if anywhere) and how.

Edit: So what exactly is the symbol? I'm curious.
time to scream incoherently for a few hours out of happiness because i finally have a full, updated, and 100% accurate ref sheet.
(07-07-2016, 11:37 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say the first. Has a more defined shape than the second.
Though I'm sure the second would have its uses too. Really depends on where you intend to use it (if anywhere) and how.

Edited the post with a third picture and an explanation.
I could go into more detail, but... Meh.

(07-07-2016, 11:39 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]time to scream incoherently for a few hours out of happiness because i finally have a full, updated, and 100% accurate ref sheet.

Congratulations! Big Grin
(07-07-2016, 11:39 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]time to scream incoherently for a few hours out of happiness because i finally have a full, updated, and 100% accurate ref sheet.
Conglaturations!
Gratz!... You mean like for commissions, yeah?
I still have no proper ref sheets Q.Q I will forever remain blank.

(07-07-2016, 11:51 PM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2016, 11:37 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say the first. Has a more defined shape than the second.

Edited the post with a third picture and an explanation.
I could go into more detail, but... Meh.

Ah, interesting. Even with all 3, I'd still say the first. It also looks the most "brandish" of them.
Also, you have piqued my interest. Do tell me more (unless you can't or don't want to. It's up to you.)
(07-08-2016, 01:09 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, interesting. Even with all 3, I'd still say the first. It also looks the most "brandish" of them.
Also, you have piqued my interest. Do tell me more (unless you can't or don't want to. It's up to you.)

Well, basically, the book I'm writing is Sirius' own little adventure. To add some spice into the mix, I decided to borrow and rework Reapers from the old SRS RP.
It's a lot less complex this time around; in the book's version of the afterlife, the Reapers come in many shapes and forms. They serve Death (who is actually a really nice guy/person/thing/entity) by collecting the souls of the dead and bringing them to the afterlife, where their history is archived in an endless library and then they're allowed to rest in peace in their ideal life for all eternity (kind of like the Near-Death Star from Futurama, but ten thousand times better). This afterlife also has a special kind of crystal that's used in hardlight technology, which is one of the things the Reapers used to bargain with Humanity for the right to live amongst them.
In the real world, Reapers are forced into human forms, where the only difference between them and actual Humans is a brand on the back of their left shoulder. One of the main characters is a Reaper and also the head of the Chaotic Good mercenary order Sirius belongs to.
[Image: 6a97876cbe892c601b59324c3f075d63.png]
This is a Nova NVA-Prime, a 50-ton medium 'mech. This particular Nova is carrying a whopping twelve extended-range small lasers. That is 6 tons of the second most worthless energy weapon you can get your hands on. However much like an Imperial Guard regiment, when enough of what is basically a glorified flashlight are pointed at the same target, well, it gets just a tad bit unpleasant to be on the receiving end.

It is absolutely fucking hilarious cycling through bundles of 4 ERSLs at a time and watching people melt.
(07-08-2016, 01:29 AM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]Well, basically, the book I'm writing is Sirius' own little adventure. To add some spice into the mix, I decided to borrow and rework Reapers from the old SRS RP.

I DEMAND ROYALTIES
[Image: SDrJZ6n.jpg]
(07-08-2016, 01:29 AM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-08-2016, 01:09 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, interesting. Even with all 3, I'd still say the first. It also looks the most "brandish" of them.

Well, basically, the book I'm writing is Sirius' own little adventure. To add some spice into the mix, I decided to borrow and rework Reapers from the old SRS RP.
It's a lot less complex this time around; in the book's version of the afterlife, the Reapers come in many shapes and forms. They serve Death (who is actually a really nice guy/person/thing/entity) by collecting the souls of the dead and bringing them to the afterlife, where their history is archived in an endless library and then they're allowed to rest in peace in their ideal life for all eternity (kind of like the Near-Death Star from Futurama, but ten thousand times better). This afterlife also has a special kind of crystal that's used in hardlight technology, which is one of the things the Reapers used to bargain with Humanity for the right to live amongst them.
In the real world, Reapers are forced into human forms, where the only difference between them and actual Humans is a brand on the back of their left shoulder. One of the main characters is a Reaper and also the head of the Chaotic Good mercenary order Sirius belongs to.

Sounds intriguing. Asides from humanity being Jᴜsᴛ Gʀᴇᴀᴛ, why do the Reapers decide to come and live among them? Do they retain anything special asides from the brand or are they just "there." Do those who're in the living world still need to do their duties? CAN they return to the afterlife? What happens when a Reaper dies? Do they get shoved back into the afterlife and continue their job or are they sent off like non-Reapers to Eᴛᴇʀɴᴀʟ Hᴀᴘᴘʏ Lᴀɴᴅ Pʟᴀᴄᴇ?
(07-08-2016, 02:24 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds intriguing. Asides from humanity being Jᴜsᴛ Gʀᴇᴀᴛ, why do the Reapers decide to come and live among them? Do they retain anything special asides from the brand or are they just "there." Do those who're in the living world still need to do their duties? CAN they return to the afterlife? What happens when a Reaper dies? Do they get shoved back into the afterlife and continue their job or are they sent off like non-Reapers to Eᴛᴇʀɴᴀʟ Hᴀᴘᴘʏ Lᴀɴᴅ Pʟᴀᴄᴇ?

Okay, hold up. Let me break this down a bit.

Quote:Asides from humanity being Jᴜsᴛ Gʀᴇᴀᴛ, why do the Reapers decide to come and live among them?
It's easier to be less afraid of something if they're living with you without any problems. Before they tried to broker with humanity for a place in their world, they were pretty much monsters under beds and nobody really knew what they were. There's a Reaper in history that started the whole "Grim Reaper" thing. They wanted to try and integrate with humanity not only to try and alleviate the fear of soul-collecting things from another plane of reality, but also so they wouldn't cause a witch hunt whenever they had to collect souls.
Quote:Do they retain anything special asides from the brand or are they just "there."
Kind of like Coro in the SRS RP, they're "the magic-using race." Each Reaper has an ability they can use at their discretion, but nothing terribly destructive. For example, the main character who is one has the ability to shadow step (in other words, teleport from shadow to shadow unnoticed). There's another character in the same group that has the ability to read minds and link thoughts; she does so for outbound pairs or small groups for riskier or longer contracts or missions, as well as to keep tabs on operatives and the like.
Yes, I'm planning a cliche "Don't even think about it" line.
Quote:Do those who're in the living world still need to do their duties?
They still need to do their duties, yeah.
Quote:CAN they return to the afterlife?
Can you go home after a business trip or a vacation?
They can come and go as they please, but most prefer to stay in the world of the living.
Quote:What happens when a Reaper dies? Do they get shoved back into the afterlife and continue their job or are they sent off like non-Reapers to Eᴛᴇʀɴᴀʟ Hᴀᴘᴘʏ Lᴀɴᴅ Pʟᴀᴄᴇ?
I... Haven't really figured that out yet.
Cut me some slack, man, I'm not even finished with chapter 1 yet :v
(07-08-2016, 01:35 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]snip~~
This is a Nova NVA-Prime, a 50-ton medium 'mech. This particular Nova is carrying a whopping twelve extended-range small lasers. That is 6 tons of the second most worthless energy weapon you can get your hands on. However much like an Imperial Guard regiment, when enough of what is basically a glorified flashlight are pointed at the same target, well, it gets just a tad bit unpleasant to be on the receiving end.

It is absolutely fucking hilarious cycling through bundles of 4 ERSLs at a time and watching people melt.

I put 8 LBX AC5s in a daishi once.  Nothing is allowed to stand for more than three seconds.

Also.  Much yes.  Small lasers have the highest heat to damage to weight ratio of any energy weapon in the series, meaning you can apply more damage for massively less heat(and weight) at such short ranges.  And they fire once every two seconds.  It's a beautiful display.  (IS small lasers have an 18% higher heat efficiency to damage ratio, with ERs gaining those fifty yards) it's up to the pilot what they'd prefer.  Four+ extra lasers in the blossom, or 50 extra yards of range.

Love them so much.
(07-08-2016, 02:41 AM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ][many a Snip]
Cut me some slack, man, I'm not even finished with chapter 1 yet :v

:p okay I won't overanalyze.

Dunno if the mercs are playing a big part in your story (considering it's Sirius' group, I imagine "yes") but the funny thing is, I've been working on a mercenary group too (minus the Reapers and magic... unless you count Kineptic "magic") but for a potential RP idea sometime in the future. Not just mercenaries though. More like an "Agents For Hire". Merc work, subtrefuge, "legitimate" diplomacy, actual legitimate diplomacy, surveillance, bounty hunting, smuggling, secret-hoarding, etc. Multiple species in a futuristic setting. Got 7 characters partially planned out and haven't even come up with the name of their group x.x (Notes call it "The organization". Tempted to just keep it that way for mysteriousness.)
(07-08-2016, 02:14 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]I DEMAND ROYALTIES

I can't pay royalties because I have no money ;w;

(07-08-2016, 04:34 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]:p okay I won't overanalyze.

Dunno if the mercs are playing a big part in your story (considering it's Sirius' group, I imagine "yes") but the funny thing is, I've been working on a mercenary group too (minus the Reapers and magic... unless you count Kineptic "magic") but for a potential RP idea sometime in the future. Not just mercenaries though. More like an "Agents For Hire". Merc work, subtrefuge, "legitimate" diplomacy, actual legitimate diplomacy, surveillance, bounty hunting, smuggling, secret-hoarding, etc. Multiple species in a futuristic setting. Got 7 characters partially planned out and haven't even come up with the name of their group x.x (Notes call it "The organization". Tempted to just keep it that way for mysteriousness.)

Well, yeah, they are. They're the group the story centers on.
The mercenaries are 'only part' mercenaries, by the way. They actually try and enact vigilante justice by culling major threats that the corrupt government of [city name TBD] won't/doesn't care to/is being paid not to do anything about. Stuff like Mafia, drug cartels, etc.
Hence the original "Chaotic Good" designation.