Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The only detail that really has to be retconned is the core being dumped from the unit, because that sends the disaster scale off the chart.

As long as that core material stays contained inside the corpse of the mech, the whole mess can be hauled off with minimal consequence for the village other than exposure issues for the people who happened to be right near it. And even in a core meltdown, it should not have given off lethal dosage right away at least, since the reaction would have stopped once it had melted enough to lose its geometry. So the melted corium would have only been passively radioactive, it would not have continued to chain react at full power. 

Don't get me wrong on this nuclear stuff and getting on your case about it. It is indeed one of the cleanest and safest power sources known to mankind. But it also has catastrophic consequences if it ever happens to escape from its pressure tank, consequences that will make people flip on you if you invoke them without realizing just how risky it is. The only time nuclear materials should ever be outside of a container is when being handled by someone trained to do so and using proper protective equipment to avoid accidents.
(08-08-2016, 06:01 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]The only detail that really has to be retconned is the core being dumped from the unit, because that sends the disaster scale off the chart.

As long as that core material stays contained inside the corpse of the mech, the whole mess can be hauled off with minimal consequence for the village other than exposure issues for the people who happened to be right near it. And even in a core meltdown, it should not have given off lethal dosage right away at least, since the reaction would have stopped once it had melted enough to lose its geometry. So the melted corium would have only been passively radioactive, it would not have continued to chain react at full power. 

Don't get me wrong on this nuclear stuff and getting on your case about it. It is indeed one of the cleanest and safest power sources known to mankind. But it also has catastrophic consequences if it ever happens to escape from its pressure tank, consequences that will make people flip on you if you invoke them without realizing just how risky it is. The only time nuclear materials should ever be outside of a container is when being handled by someone trained to do so and using proper protective equipment to avoid accidents.
Perfectly reasonable, might actually work better that way.
Also, don't think you can write off a nuclear disaster just because "it's too small", the US managed to fit a nuke into a backpack-sized space. That shit could take out several city blocks by itself.

And yes, as long as the core stays inside, we're good, because it's the radioactive materia that is the real problem here: In a nuke, the explosion is just an explosion, the gamma radiation will quickly dissipate, but any leftover material is the real trouble, as it gets thrown into the atmosphere, ground, and water, poisoning it with a constant pump of radiation as it decays. In our modern nukes, we have done our best to minimize the nuclear waste, but nuclear reactors are not built like nukes: they're a controlled explosion, and don't have the liberty of letting it all go off at once to prevent any waste from escaping. The core stays inside, eh, a few characters die, core gets dumped, everybody needs a new character.
(08-08-2016, 06:01 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]The only detail that really has to be retconned is the core being dumped from the unit, because that sends the disaster scale off the chart.

That would be satisfactory to me.  As I'd like Rahizel to be able to run their story, but not accidentally a miniature apocalypse on the nearby town of woodport. where every single player character currently resides.

Yes,  Rahizel, it would have been a rocks fall everyone dies situation.  Don't play with things that have predefined parameters.  That's why magick or you make something up.  Like using an otherwise inert magick rock as the power source or something.  When you set the parameters, you set the outcome.  Radiation already has them set, And I'm glad you're willing to realize your miscalculations.  So, thank you Rahizel, and Odin.
Technically I'm rad proof.
(08-08-2016, 06:19 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Technically I'm rad proof.
Sufficient and prolonged bombardment of radiation can in theory degrade concrete, but that's probably like cosmic ray from a qasar intense.
(08-08-2016, 06:22 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
Sufficient and prolonged bombardment of radiation can in theory degrade concrete, but that's probably like cosmic ray from a qasar intense.
Robo-Surge is built primarily from Tecarian specs and a few discrete upgrades by 753. The Tecarians are heavily acclimated to long term operation under intense cosmic and background radiation. Though the important electronics and power plants are usually protected with precedence over structural elements.
Radiation in the most minute amount is the only driving force of energy in existence. IE, sunlight. Which slowly degrades things on it's own. Including metals, though realize how much reflection of most of the energy does.

This radiation powers the continuance of life, and the return of all materials to their original form no matter how slowly. Even in the absence of water and oxygen. Natural processes are slow after all.
(08-08-2016, 06:25 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 06:22 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Sufficient and prolonged bombardment of radiation can in theory degrade concrete, but that's probably like cosmic ray from a qasar intense.
Robo-Surge is built primarily from Tecarian specs and a few discrete upgrades by 753. The Tecarians are heavily acclimated to long term operation under intense cosmic and background radiation. Though the important electronics and power plants are usually protected with precedence over structural elements.
Okay, so it could be written off as no more effective than normal entropy.
(08-08-2016, 06:28 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 06:25 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Robo-Surge is built primarily from Tecarian specs and a few discrete upgrades by 753. The Tecarians are heavily acclimated to long term operation under intense cosmic and background radiation. Though the important electronics and power plants are usually protected with precedence over structural elements.
Okay, so it could be written off as no more effective than normal entropy.

It's less effective, by far.  But it does, have an effect.

inorganic body for life, yo
(08-08-2016, 06:27 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]Radiation in the most minute amount is the only driving force of energy in existence. IE, sunlight. Which slowly degrades things on it's own. Including metals, though realize how much reflection of most of the energy does.

This radiation powers the continuance of life, and the return of all materials to their original form no matter how slowly. Even in the absence of water and oxygen. Natural processes are slow after all.
PRAISE ATOM!

(08-08-2016, 06:30 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]

inorganic body for life, yo
Yes
(08-08-2016, 06:25 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 06:22 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Sufficient and prolonged bombardment of radiation can in theory degrade concrete, but that's probably like cosmic ray from a qasar intense.

Rad proof huh? I doubt it. It is possible to be highly resistant though.

Alpha, Beta, and Gamma radiations all degrade electronics by causing electrons and in some cases entire atomic nuclei to be dislocated from the crystal lattice. Over time this changes the electrical properties of the circuitry until it begins to malfunction, and eventually fails catastrophically.

Current day rad-hardened electronics attempt to mitigate this by making use of lower circuit densities than those found in consumer electronics because it was found that the larger components are less sensitive to damage from radiation exposure. Even with that, they still fail eventually.

But when you consider neutron radiation, things get ugly. Neutrons interact with matter by either bouncing off of it, splitting it, or being absorbed by it. Bouncing off isn't terrible, this only dislocates atoms and can break molecules. Splitting it is pretty bad, this usually makes radioactive isotopes and again removes atoms from their respective molecules.

The worst is actually neutron capture. Neutron capture is in fact how you transmute lead into gold- and this was demonstrated in the laboratory. It actually changes the element of the affected atom from one isotope to another. And as things happen to work, most of the resulting isotopes are unstable- they become radioactive themselves. Which puts you in a situation where you can't turn it off anymore. Even if it is removed from the proximity of the radiation source, it has become radioactive itself and will continue to be until the half-life of the isotopes that were created by splitting or capturing have decayed.

And any sort of atoms knocked around in your genetic material makes your cancer risk go through the roof, and if enough damage was done you'll be dead within a week if not a few hours.

The future is closer than you think
(08-08-2016, 05:28 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ][Image: sjgmmyI.jpg]

Where does the money for this keep coming from

who said i paid for that
(also submission is here since the artist wants credit when reposting her stuff)
(08-08-2016, 10:40 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 05:28 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ][Image: sjgmmyI.jpg]

who said i paid for that
(also submission is here since the artist wants credit when reposting her stuff)
Because nobody would ever agree to draw THAT otherwise.
(08-08-2016, 11:10 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 10:40 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]who said i paid for that
Hmmm... maybe
(08-08-2016, 11:10 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 10:40 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]who said i paid for that

same goes for you, bud.
(08-08-2016, 11:54 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 11:10 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Because nobody would ever agree to draw THAT otherwise.

same goes for you, bud.
O.o
(08-08-2016, 01:13 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]Why does it seem like everything in the RP always ends up with either a nuclear disaster or accidentally triggered the apocalypse?
Because the RP gets stale and then people try to make it interesting, fail, try harder, and then it degrades into Serial Escalation.

(08-08-2016, 10:40 PM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2016, 05:28 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]Snip

who said i paid for that

Why do you always get free stuff tell me your secrets darnit!

Anyone else have issues with Discord's desktop notifications (the little popups in the bottom right) taking focus away from the active window and making you wait for them to go away before being able to click anything again?