Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-11-2017, 11:55 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2017, 11:46 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]What game is it?
Excuse me if it's a well known sci-fi game, they don't tend to interest me.
Grey Goo

An obscure sci-fi RTS that came and went quietly. It promised a return to the heyday of RTS but just delivered a stripped down Starcraft competitor.
It's still a good game but yeah it doesn't compete with SC2.

They did release the dlc for the 4th faction free and each one has slightly different mechanics, well human and beta are similar... shroud and the goo are very different.

It runs well and has very cool mechanics for stealth like cliff walking units and hiding in dense foilage, and most factions have at least one stealth unit that does damage.

I've enjoyed playing it for sure.
(02-11-2017, 11:55 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2017, 11:46 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]What game is it?
Excuse me if it's a well known sci-fi game, they don't tend to interest me.
Grey Goo

An obscure sci-fi RTS that came and went quietly. It promised a return to the heyday of RTS but just delivered a stripped down Starcraft competitor.
Thanks.
You know I saw grey goo on steam had decent reviews but I also am not fond of rts games either.
Only found it due to exploration queue.
(02-12-2017, 12:06 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2017, 11:55 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Grey Goo

Thanks.
You know I saw grey goo on steam had decent reviews but I also am not fond of rts games either.
It wasn't a bad game strictly speaking, just mediocre with a lot of cool ideas shackled under a rigid gameplay formula.
(02-12-2017, 12:09 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 12:06 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks.
It wasn't a bad game strictly speaking, just mediocre with a lot of cool ideas shackled under a rigid gameplay formula.
Mediocre?

A bit oversimplified I'll agree, i like how the tech upgrade system works though with changing how your units work.
(02-12-2017, 12:15 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 12:09 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn't a bad game strictly speaking, just mediocre with a lot of cool ideas shackled under a rigid gameplay formula.
Mediocre?

A bit oversimplified I'll agree, i like how the tech upgrade system works though with changing how your units work.
I found that between the emphasis on short and brutal engagements and the overall lack of depth you were pigeonholed into upgrading according to your playstyle more than context.
My rts strategy is to make units and hope it works.
It never does.
I also am unable to not set up slow.
I think I got stuck on the 4th or 5th mission in the gdi champaign in c&c 3 it had a timed element that's what killed me, and not being able to invade with sufficient units.
I can see the less than 1 page a day thing now.
(02-12-2017, 12:48 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 12:15 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Mediocre?

I found that between the emphasis on short and brutal engagements and the overall lack of depth you were pigeonholed into upgrading according to your playstyle more than context.
I personally kinda liked that, for the goo I'd pick any tank tech, healing artillery goo, stealth scouts, let scouts attack air, and any econ.

The healing artillery was very good but in some missions I had to choose projectile endurance or bastions blowing up for going at entrenched positions.
(02-12-2017, 03:10 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 12:48 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]I found that between the emphasis on short and brutal engagements and the overall lack of depth you were pigeonholed into upgrading according to your playstyle more than context.
I personally kinda liked that, for the goo I'd pick any tank tech, healing artillery goo, stealth scouts, let scouts attack air, and any econ.

The healing artillery was very good but in some missions I had to choose projectile endurance or bastions blowing up for going at entrenched positions.
Divergent upgrades where you only choose one ever defeats the point of having them be divergent
I know I'm not a part of this but.
The only ever choosing one set doen't make you change them for what's best in the current situation. Yes?
Leading to less strategy.
I just discovered that the 1 time I was noticed since I left when I left a message saying how long I would be gone. It got 1 response from umbra who mentioned they wondered where i went asking if he was the only one and it got 1 reply of yep.

That was mildly disheartening.
Mediocre means average, run of the mill, standard. Throw out any negative connotations on the word you have.

It has the possibility to be good, but too many things hold it back for that to truly be the case. Thus it's at the most, mediocre. (I've talked wwith numerous friends about that game already, and none of them could say it was anything more than average without lying.)
(02-12-2017, 10:25 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]Mediocre means average, run of the mill, standard. Throw out any negative connotations on the word you have.

It has the possibility to be good, but too many things hold it back for that to truly be the case. Thus it's at the most, mediocre. (I've talked wwith numerous friends about that game already, and none of them could say it was anything more than average without lying.)
I wrote a view that said that basically.

Also, how's that rp thread doing?
It's currently on temporary standstill while other folks are apparently busy, and I'm hoping to work with Umbra on something. That is only of course if he wants to. Otherwise it could end up being pretty lackluster, what i'm working on for that side of things. Doesn't help that i've been out of practice for a while. At least I still have the "how to write an effective detective mystery novel" info stuck in my head.
(02-12-2017, 10:53 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]It's currently on temporary standstill while other folks are apparently busy, and I'm hoping to work with Umbra on something. That is only of course if he wants to. Otherwise it could end up being pretty lackluster, what i'm working on for that side of things. Doesn't help that i've been out of practice for a while. At least I still have the "how to write an effective detective mystery novel" info stuck in my head.
I'm tempted to get in... we'll see
(02-12-2017, 10:54 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 10:53 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]It's currently on temporary standstill while other folks are apparently busy, and I'm hoping to work with Umbra on something.  That is only of course if he wants to.  Otherwise it could end up being pretty lackluster, what i'm working on for that side of things.  Doesn't help that i've been out of practice for a while.  At least I still have the "how to write an effective detective mystery novel" info stuck in my head.
I'm tempted to get in... we'll see

I use the style of writing to add intrigue.  Not like black and white detective stuff.  Things that are specifically not directly stated until the characters in question actually know what happened.  Instead of seeing what someone did in third person (while the characters were unconscious or such)  You write that they don't know.  Or you write nothing at all.  You leave a big "what happened?" hanging over everyone's head.  I've been writing like this since my first post.
(02-12-2017, 10:58 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 10:54 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]I'm tempted to get in... we'll see

I use the style of writing to add intrigue.  Not like black and white detective stuff.  Things that are specifically not directly stated until the characters in question actually know what happened.  Instead of seeing what someone did in third person (while the characters were unconscious or such)  You write that they don't know.  Or you write nothing at all.  You leave a big "what happened?" hanging over everyone's head.  I've been writing like this since my first post.
I like the concept
(02-12-2017, 11:00 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 10:58 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I use the style of writing to add intrigue.  Not like black and white detective stuff.  Things that are specifically not directly stated until the characters in question actually know what happened.  Instead of seeing what someone did in third person (while the characters were unconscious or such)  You write that they don't know.  Or you write nothing at all.  You leave a big "what happened?" hanging over everyone's head.  I've been writing like this since my first post.
I like the concept

Until someone ACTUALLY figures it out.  (que:  you actually write how your character figured it out mentally rather than wild guessing)

Nobody can really know until then.  It enforces better writing, forces people to get creative and be more proactive without being rude or insulting.  I've used it before and it's always gotten people excited since it's basically the more free-form RP style for a GM.  You use your brain instead of dice.

Behhehe... I got a bit too information focused there.

How is anybody else doing that's online?
(02-12-2017, 11:03 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2017, 11:00 AM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]I like the concept

Until someone ACTUALLY figures it out.  (que:  you actually write how your character figured it out mentally rather than wild guessing)

Nobody can really know until then.  It enforces better writing, forces people to get creative and be more proactive without being rude or insulting.  I've used it before and it's always gotten people excited since it's basically the more free-form RP style for a GM.  You use your brain instead of dice.

Behhehe... I got a bit too information focused there.

How is anybody else doing that's online?
Night shifts are, interesting.
tfw you binge watch like 2 weeks worth of stream recordings from 4 different people and now have nothing to watch

also i just got ETG recently
i'm having a love/hate relation with it
lots of stuff i like, but holds a lot stuff back too much
just give me the NT super flak cannon or laser minigun and i'd be happy