Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-18-2016, 01:20 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 01:16 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]

something I should watch Star Trek, not the movies but the old series

but will the same applied to modern armor(MBT/LT/power armor), especially one that proven to be difficult to be penetrated even with APFSDS,
APDS is applying it to modern armor though.
frontally, especially on a challenger 2 tank,
(08-18-2016, 01:16 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]

something tells me I should watch Star Trek, not the movies but the old series

(08-18-2016, 01:06 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]Good old plate armor was not easily pierced/cleaved through at all, it took hefty crossbows with the right tip and a good angle to slam through plate armor, or bludgeons with points on it, like a lucerne, to pierce through with a strong hit at the right angle.
Axes, swords, anything that was bladed and relied on slicing was heavily limited against plate armor, not even the biggest man equipped with the biggest of axes could hope to cleave through well maintained plate, beating the other guy unconcious with the axe was still an option. Using a longsword as a bludgeon did work though, I believe swings using the pommel and guard were called 'Murder-Strokes.'
Spears and blunt force were the most useful things, spears because of their ease of use and their ability to more easily slide into openings in the armor, and blunt because the sheer force could bruise and break bones, eventually the person wearing the armor would be battered to the ground and then easily stabbed.

but will the same applied to modern armor(MBT/LT/power armor), especially one that proven to be difficult to be penetrated even with APFSDS,

In terms of angles and piercing yeah, just to an extreme degree, that and there's always some sort of weaker joint in the armor, otherwise the wearer would be completely immobile and encased in a 'METAL BAWKS.'
Raw force from a blunt object could still mangle someone inside power armor, especially if the inside of the armor lacks padding, that force has to be transferred somewhere. But at some point you'd need some hyper-dense material with much more mass than you'd expect in the 'brick' of a hammer-head, and either the strongest guy ever or a machine to swing it hard enough to seriously dent power armor.
It's all about mass and speed, thicker/tougher armor just needs a bigger and/or faster 'bullet' to get through, that and angles, a glancing blow has little hope of accomplishing anything.
I have very little knowledge as far as main battle vehicles go. So beyond the obvious I can't really continue beyond this point on the subject. Hope you two(or three+) can figure it out.
(08-18-2016, 01:29 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 01:16 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]-george tekei going bananas with a fencing blade-
something tells me I should watch Star Trek, not the movies but the old series

In terms of angles and piercing yeah, just to an extreme degree, that and there's always some sort of weaker joint in the armor, otherwise the wearer would be completely immobile and encased in a 'METAL BAWKS.'
Raw force from a blunt object could still mangle someone inside power armor, especially if the inside of the armor lacks padding, that force has to be transferred somewhere. But at some point you'd need some hyper-dense material with much more mass than you'd expect in the 'brick' of a hammer-head, and either the strongest guy ever or a machine to swing it hard enough to seriously dent power armor.
It's all about mass and speed, thicker/tougher armor just needs a bigger and/or faster 'bullet' to get through, that and angles, a glancing blow has little hope of accomplishing anything.

what about some modern adaptation to made the above more effective like shaped charged head or rocket boosters?
rocket boosters it's going to fly out of your hand, so you may as well use a rocket/missile launcher instead. As far as shaped charge. Likely to break your hand. There are breaching hammers. So if you were looking for a starting point. Look at those first.
(08-18-2016, 01:34 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 01:29 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of angles and piercing yeah, just to an extreme degree, that and there's always some sort of weaker joint in the armor, otherwise the wearer would be completely immobile and encased in a 'METAL BAWKS.'

what about some modern adaptation to made the above more effective like shaped charged head or rocket boosters?

I'm not too well versed there, but in theory a 'layered' shell might work out, increasingly dense/tough materials closer to the center of the shell so the weaker materials dig into the target without losing as much force due to it giving way to the next layer and so on, I'm not so sure how that'd work out though.
Blunt shells could work and I believe there are some already, they wouldn't get through armor but it would transfer all of it's force into the target right away, jarring the crew and/or systems, or pulping whatever's behind it if it's tight armor. Long ranges on those shots probably wouldn't work out too well because a blunt face creates more drag.
Rocket boosters as in a rocket on the back of a shell to increase speed probably wouldn't work out too well, the heat put out from throwing a shell out of a barrel can be extreme and cause warping to the shot, granted it tends to be very little warping. That tiny amount of warping would still severely reduce accuracy of a rocet propelled bullet/shell because the angle of the rocket in comparison to the tip of the shell would throw the shell off target once the rocket kicks in. On top of that shells like that would be locked to medium-long ranges because the rocket would need to be able to accelerate the shot to top speed.

Hammers with funky heads probably wouldn't work too well, the shock of hitting something with it would put lots of strain on the handle and would rock the hands holding the handle. Rocket propelled swings wouldn't work at all without specific armor on that can support it, trying to stop a normal swing of a hammer is hard enough, stopping a rocket-swing of one would throw the user off their feet unless they weighed literal tons and had some extreme grip on their shoes.
(08-18-2016, 01:46 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 01:34 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]what about some modern adaptation to made the above more effective like shaped charged head or rocket boosters?

I'm not too well versed there, but in theory a 'layered' shell might work out, increasingly dense/tough materials closer to the center of the shell so the weaker materials dig into the target without losing as much force due to it giving way to the next layer and so on, I'm not so sure how that'd work out though.
Blunt shells could work and I believe there are some already, they wouldn't get through armor but it would transfer all of it's force into the target right away, jarring the crew and/or systems, or pulping whatever's behind it if it's tight armor. Long ranges on those shots probably wouldn't work out too well because a blunt face creates more drag.
Rocket boosters as in a rocket on the back of a shell to increase speed probably wouldn't work out too well, the heat put out from throwing a shell out of a barrel can be extreme and cause warping to the shot, granted it tends to be very little warping. That tiny amount of warping would still severely reduce accuracy of a rocet propelled bullet/shell because the angle of the rocket in comparison to the tip of the shell would throw the shell off target once the rocket kicks in. On top of that shells like that would be locked to medium-long ranges because the rocket would need to be able to accelerate the shot to top speed.

Hammers with funky heads probably wouldn't work too well, the shock of hitting something with it would put lots of strain on the handle and would rock the hands holding the handle. Rocket propelled swings wouldn't work at all without specific armor on that can support it, trying to stop a normal swing of a hammer is hard enough, stopping a rocket-swing of one would throw the user off their feet unless they weighed literal tons and had some extreme grip on their shoes.
I mean for the war hammer, something we have to get close and then swing it on a tank or power armor unit.
we already go solid pieces/rods of DU/tungsten for APFSDS rounds and some tanks already can fire ATGMs out from the gun

Edit: forget the last paragraph(was it added in later?) what about something that is a hammer put shaped not like a hammer(alot of reinforcement on the handle to the head, like KSP taught me, more struts)
(08-18-2016, 01:58 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 01:46 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not too well versed there, but in theory a 'layered' shell might work out, increasingly dense/tough materials closer to the center of the shell so the weaker materials dig into the target without losing as much force due to it giving way to the next layer and so on, I'm not so sure how that'd work out though.

I mean for the war hammer, something we have to get close and then swing it on a tank or power armor unit.
we already go solid pieces/rods of DU/tungsten for APFSDS rounds and some tanks already can fire ATGMs out from the gun

Edit: forget the last paragraph(was it added in later?) what about something that is a hammer put shaped not like a hammer(alot of reinforcement on the handle to the head, like KSP taught me, more struts)

It was added in later, sorry about that.

Almost like a hollowed bell shape on the handle to the head, the bell being the struts? 
If so I'd think it would certainly help absorb shock to the user and handle, but the force of the strike likely wouldn't be enough without that pure transfer of force, a mini piston in the head of the hammer could potentially work with that design in mind, it would keep the power of it high and still keep the shock to the user in check.

Something akin to WH40K's ridiculous Thunder Hammer would likely be the best bet, on contact have it release a burst of heat and energy with a head built to handle the heat, but that would be extremely hazardous to the user without proper protection.
(08-18-2016, 12:33 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Trench coats and umbreon
[Image: tumblr_oc2nvoctMn1v6ju9to1_540.png]
http://briteeveedoodles.tumblr.com/post/149094718196

Trenchcoats!!!!!!!! Heart
(08-18-2016, 02:09 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 01:58 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]I mean for the war hammer, something we have to get close and then swing it on a tank or power armor unit.

It was added in later, sorry about that.

Almost like a hollowed bell shape on the handle to the head, the bell being the struts? 
If so I'd think it would certainly help absorb shock to the user and handle, but the force of the strike likely wouldn't be enough without that pure transfer of force, a mini piston in the head of the hammer could potentially work with that design in mind, it would keep the power of it high and still keep the shock to the user in check.

Something akin to WH40K's ridiculous Thunder Hammer would likely be the best bet, on contact have it release a burst of heat and energy with a head built to handle the heat, but that would be extremely hazardous to the user without proper protection.
how about the hammer having a gun in it/pile bunker than upon impact fires a AP shell at point blank/stabs through most armors so the user uses less effort and yes protection is necessary operating experimental/dangerous weapontry
(08-18-2016, 02:18 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 02:09 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]It was added in later, sorry about that.

how about the hammer having a gun in it/pile bunker than upon impact fires a AP shell at point blank/stabs through most armors so the user uses less effort and yes protection is necessary operating experimental/dangerous weapontry

Something like a pilebunker hammer would work, you'd just need a very strong arm to eat up the shock of the shell firing, dent/weaken with the hammer blow then pierce with the shell.
I'd take it in in a lance before a hammer though, already barrel shaped and double the piercing power at the cost of impact.
(08-18-2016, 02:24 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 02:18 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]how about the hammer having a gun in it/pile bunker than upon impact fires a AP shell at point blank/stabs through most armors so the user uses less effort and yes protection is necessary operating experimental/dangerous weapontry

Something like a pilebunker hammer would work, you'd just need a very strong arm to eat up the shock of the shell firing, dent/weaken with the hammer blow then pierce with the shell.
I'd take it in in a lance before a hammer though, already barrel shaped and double the piercing power at the cost of impact.

oh yeah, gun lances from Monster Hunter, still not really tried those though, yeah guess the hammer isnt that useful while other tools could easily replaced the hammer
(08-18-2016, 02:39 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 02:24 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]Something like a pilebunker hammer would work, you'd just need a very strong arm to eat up the shock of the shell firing, dent/weaken with the hammer blow then pierce with the shell.

oh yeah, gun lances from Monster Hunter, still not really tried those though, yeah guess the hammer isnt that useful while other tools could easily replaced the hammer

Anything with tight armor won't like a smack from a hammer, it's best for jarring things out of their senses and pulping things behind armor, raw force. But they can pulp fleshy targets just fine. Unga-Bunga smash!
(08-18-2016, 02:39 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]oh yeah, gun lances from Monster Hunter, still not really tried those though, yeah guess the hammer isnt that useful while other tools could easily replaced the hammer

They're fun.
Haven't tried them in MHGen yet, though.
Just ordered MHG. wew
Okay so I in theory have $1000 to build a gaming computer from scratch, and I'm willing to focus a build around an AMD or Intel processor.

Ideas on parts?

perfectly accurate
(08-18-2016, 12:12 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Okay so I in theory have $1000 to build a gaming computer from scratch, and I'm willing to focus a build around an AMD or Intel processor.

Ideas on parts?
1000 USD?
Includes peripherals such as mouse, keyboard, monitor(s)? Preference for the three?
Do you want it to be silent or no preference? Case size?
My current build is probably pretty close to $1000 before peripherals but a 480 instead of a 390 would lop a good deal off the price
(08-18-2016, 04:17 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 12:12 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Okay so I in theory have $1000 to build a gaming computer from scratch, and I'm willing to focus a build around an AMD or Intel processor.

Ideas on parts?
1000 USD?
Includes peripherals such as mouse, keyboard, monitor(s)? Preference for the three?
Do you want it to be silent or no preference? Case size?
I wear big headphones so it can be loud.