Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-13-2016, 02:34 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 20161110134138_1.jpg]
"What are you playing Surge?"
Transport Fever
"is it cool? are you going to do a review on it?"
huh what? sorry I was playing Transport Fever.

Oh fine. Transport Fever is what is known as a "German game" which is to say it is a "game" about ruthless industrialism and efficient work habits. Most of which involve trains, buses, and trucks. If the name Transport Fever sounds familiar you may be remembering the "spiritual" predecessor Train Fever, which was released a year or two ago by the same developer, Swiss studio Urban Games, Transport Fever was renamed because it expands the scope from just Trains to also include planes and boats, which only shows that Urban doesn't actually like buses or trucks.
In Transport Fever you assume the role of omnipotent deity owner of a transportation firm in a randomly generated chunk of world colored to vaguely resemble either Europe or the United States of America. In this role you lay bus stops, roads, tram tracks, railroad tracks, boat docks, airports, train stations, and other odds and ends to facilitate a network of vehicles that shift people and goods alike across the map, you are also occasionally responsible for upgrading municipal roads out of your own pocket because the city is too big and the traffic jams are making life hard for your buses, you guys are welcome for all the business we bring in by the way!
That's not to say that commuter trains and semi trucks from A to B is necessarily all that Transport Fever does, there IS depth to be found here. The game will, initially, start in 1850 and play all the way up to present day (though it never actually ends) and as time progresses, certain prolific trains, trucks, and coaches of the era and region will become available, challenging you to spend money not only to expand the many tendrils of your people shipping monopoly, but also to ride the edge of the latest in people shipping technology, newer vehicles will move faster with more cargo but at a higher price, both upfront and every month, so no those two small hamlets next door to each other don't need a Concord flying between their airports. Towns will also grow as the game progresses and you feed people and goods into their economies, they will almost never grow into a truly sprawling metropolis, but don't be surprised when that temporary train station you plopped down 20 years ago is now surrounded on all sides by fresh shops and houses. Industry is also not necessarily straightforward, to provide goods to your city you must find a goods factory, build a freight station in front of it, find a steel and lumber mill, build freight stations in front of them, and then find a logging site, iron mine, and coal mine and build freight stations in front of them, finally you build a freight station in the town you want to receive goods and buy and assign a bunch of trucks to shuffle all the goods around needed to make this chain of production actually work. That doesn't sound necessarily nightmarish, but wait until you see how the random map generator can create 2/3 of those basic resource sites a reasonable distance from the goods factory, and then only one of the last one you need...on the far corner of the map.
Most of Transport Fever's problems come from an oddly Germano-centric lineup of vehicles (try and find a truck or train car that wasn't built in central Europe, I dare you), that creates a surprisingly sparse list of vehicles in time periods where the industry should have been exploding outwards, and the same old map generator from Train Fever, back before boats or airports were a thing. What this means for maps, is that any body of water with a bridge over it will not be navigable to boats, since the road generator won't elevate the bridge, any good locations for a dock will likely be dramatic slopes that prevent the actual construction of a dock, nevermind roads to link it to a nearby town or industry, and you will basically never be able to find a large enough patch of level ground for a large airport.
All in all Transport Fever is a crazy love letter from some Swiss to everything mass transit, and it's also a pretty neat management game, with an oftentimes clunky but very functional UI, a tangible sense of progression even in the sandbox mode, and a lot of incentive to spend more time studying topographic maps for your current map than actually laying down new tracks.

This sounds like a game that could benefit from a healthy dose of MODDING! to fix a few issues and expand on what is already there.
Am I right in guessing it plays somewhat similar to (in a vague and generalized sense) to sim city? The concept seems pretty cool, and i especially like the idea of the time progression.
Train Fever was entertaining, but downright tragic that they sorta abandoned it to make Transport Fever without ever really finishing it properly.

At the same time, Train Fever often drew criticism because the trains were only really useful until about 1970, after which the trucks could consistently be more profitable.
(11-13-2016, 05:39 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]Train Fever was entertaining, but downright tragic that they sorta abandoned it to make Transport Fever without ever really finishing it properly.

At the same time, Train Fever often drew criticism because the trains were only really useful until about 1970, after which the trucks could consistently be more profitable.

I agree, it generally paid off more to invest heavily in buses and trucks than trains, bus lines between cities were all you really needed. I'm not sure if Transport Fever has quite addressed the long term issue with trucks vs trains, but I haven't found much of a case to be made for cargo trains or boats, and truck lines can be insanely popular (some of my freight lines are pulling several mil with just Opel Blitzes), but I do feel like bus lines are a bit less viable than they used to be, at least in the short term, so investing in and keeping trains is more worthwhile.

(11-13-2016, 04:23 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2016, 02:34 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 20161110134138_1.jpg]
"What are you playing Surge?"
Transport Fever
"is it cool? are you going to do a review on it?"
huh what? sorry I was playing Transport Fever.

Oh fine. Transport Fever is what is known as a "German game" which is to say it is a "game" about ruthless industrialism and efficient work habits. Most of which involve trains, buses, and trucks. If the name Transport Fever sounds familiar you may be remembering the "spiritual" predecessor Train Fever, which was released a year or two ago by the same developer, Swiss studio Urban Games, Transport Fever was renamed because it expands the scope from just Trains to also include planes and boats, which only shows that Urban doesn't actually like buses or trucks.
In Transport Fever you assume the role of omnipotent deity owner of a transportation firm in a randomly generated chunk of world colored to vaguely resemble either Europe or the United States of America. In this role you lay bus stops, roads, tram tracks, railroad tracks, boat docks, airports, train stations, and other odds and ends to facilitate a network of vehicles that shift people and goods alike across the map, you are also occasionally responsible for upgrading municipal roads out of your own pocket because the city is too big and the traffic jams are making life hard for your buses, you guys are welcome for all the business we bring in by the way!
That's not to say that commuter trains and semi trucks from A to B is necessarily all that Transport Fever does, there IS depth to be found here. The game will, initially, start in 1850 and play all the way up to present day (though it never actually ends) and as time progresses, certain prolific trains, trucks, and coaches of the era and region will become available, challenging you to spend money not only to expand the many tendrils of your people shipping monopoly, but also to ride the edge of the latest in people shipping technology, newer vehicles will move faster with more cargo but at a higher price, both upfront and every month, so no those two small hamlets next door to each other don't need a Concord flying between their airports. Towns will also grow as the game progresses and you feed people and goods into their economies, they will almost never grow into a truly sprawling metropolis, but don't be surprised when that temporary train station you plopped down 20 years ago is now surrounded on all sides by fresh shops and houses. Industry is also not necessarily straightforward, to provide goods to your city you must find a goods factory, build a freight station in front of it, find a steel and lumber mill, build freight stations in front of them, and then find a logging site, iron mine, and coal mine and build freight stations in front of them, finally you build a freight station in the town you want to receive goods and buy and assign a bunch of trucks to shuffle all the goods around needed to make this chain of production actually work. That doesn't sound necessarily nightmarish, but wait until you see how the random map generator can create 2/3 of those basic resource sites a reasonable distance from the goods factory, and then only one of the last one you need...on the far corner of the map.
Most of Transport Fever's problems come from an oddly Germano-centric lineup of vehicles (try and find a truck or train car that wasn't built in central Europe, I dare you), that creates a surprisingly sparse list of vehicles in time periods where the industry should have been exploding outwards, and the same old map generator from Train Fever, back before boats or airports were a thing. What this means for maps, is that any body of water with a bridge over it will not be navigable to boats, since the road generator won't elevate the bridge, any good locations for a dock will likely be dramatic slopes that prevent the actual construction of a dock, nevermind roads to link it to a nearby town or industry, and you will basically never be able to find a large enough patch of level ground for a large airport.
All in all Transport Fever is a crazy love letter from some Swiss to everything mass transit, and it's also a pretty neat management game, with an oftentimes clunky but very functional UI, a tangible sense of progression even in the sandbox mode, and a lot of incentive to spend more time studying topographic maps for your current map than actually laying down new tracks.

This sounds like a game that could benefit from a healthy dose of MODDING! to fix a few issues and expand on what is already there.
Am I right in guessing it plays somewhat similar to (in a vague and generalized sense) to sim city? The concept seems pretty cool, and i especially like the idea of the time progression.
I wouldn't compare it to Simcity, you have no real influence over how a city grows outwards, you can only feed goods and people into it and try to keep up as it expands on its own.
(11-13-2016, 05:45 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2016, 05:39 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]Train Fever was entertaining, but downright tragic that they sorta abandoned it to make Transport Fever without ever really finishing it properly.

I agree, it generally paid off more to invest heavily in buses and trucks than trains, bus lines between cities were all you really needed. I'm not sure if Transport Fever has quite addressed the long term issue with trucks vs trains, but I haven't found much of a case to be made for cargo trains or boats, and truck lines can be insanely popular (some of my freight lines are pulling several mil with just Opel Blitzes), but I do feel like bus lines are a bit less viable than they used to be, at least in the short term, so investing in and keeping trains is more worthwhile.

(11-13-2016, 04:23 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds like a game that could benefit from a healthy dose of MODDING! to fix a few issues and expand on what is already there.
I wouldn't compare it to Simcity, you have no real influence over how a city grows outwards, you can only feed goods and people into it and try to keep up as it expands on its own.
So... OpenTTD?
[Image: tumblr_ogki0gmoNa1u9rc50o1_1280.png]
and more umby
(11-13-2016, 06:40 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ][Image: tumblr_ogki0gmoNa1u9rc50o1_1280.png]
and more umby
Oh my god tell me this person has a DA
(11-13-2016, 06:54 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2016, 06:40 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Snip
and more umby
Surge likes what he sees
[Image: 30c2377d031575c1fd2f912e46955ce8.png]
Somebody introduced me to Pimp My Gun.
I immediately had to whip up a crude approximation of a Tecarian M108 AMAR.
I have been tweaking it obsessively for the past few minutes
edit: case in point
[Image: 0489fbdb0389bcd89aa02426ffefd1b3.png]
(11-13-2016, 08:26 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 30c2377d031575c1fd2f912e46955ce8.png]

It kinda just looks like an unusually long F2000
(11-13-2016, 08:59 AM)Segolia Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2016, 08:26 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 30c2377d031575c1fd2f912e46955ce8.png]

It kinda just looks like an unusually long F2000
Well it is an F2000 lower so that's to be expected

I had to work with what it gave me
(11-13-2016, 06:54 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2016, 06:40 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]-team skull umby-
and more umby

actaully yes, https://dmnt96.deviantart.com/
take note that his latest draws are mostly on his tumblr instead
and this guy is kinda a known nsfw artist and FA(NSFW) http://www.furaffinity.net/user/atherol/
>Team Skull
>Umby
10/10

Seriously, Team Skull has kicked Team Flare out of my "favorite team" slot.
I mean, Flare is absolutely fabulous, but Skull's grunts are just hilarious. They seem like they're constantly beatboxing/rapping.
Imagine two Skull grunts walking up and one of them says "Yo, this trainer's liiiiiit!"
(11-14-2016, 02:55 AM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]>Team Skull
>Umby
10/10

Seriously, Team Skull has kicked Team Flare out of my "favorite team" slot.
I mean, Flare is absolutely fabulous, but Skull's grunts are just hilarious. They seem like they're constantly beatboxing/rapping.
Imagine two Skull grunts walking up and one of them says "Yo, this trainer's liiiiiit!"

Do we know team skulls motive yet? I do know they will have probably some of the best dialogue in all of the games. And on that matter, their leader is edgier than a raser blade.
[Image: dda621fb82bc6de97972024fb15e3423.jpg]
So about that Planet Coaster review...

This one actually isn't happening, simply because Planet Coaster is in such an early stage of beta that it feels like a legitimate skeleton of a game, and with the way Frontier likes to work there will be additional content coming, so I will wait for the official release and then review that.

edit: so...I looked around...this basically is the release version, just, unlocked a few days early. I'll talk about it in depth when it unlocks for everyone.
I want to listen to some of my favorite songs when writing, drawing, or doing other work. But I always feel a nagging urge to either go on a run or sing along with them and end up getting lost in the music after just a few minutes.
I can't tell if that's a good or a bad thing
(11-15-2016, 03:37 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]I want to listen to some of my favorite songs when writing, drawing, or doing other work. But I always feel a nagging urge to either go on a run or sing along with them and end up getting lost in the music after just a few minutes.

In any situation where you're trying to do anything but jam, it's a bad thing.  Any types of music that make you feel relaxed and measured rather than energetic and hyper to listen to?
(11-10-2016, 04:17 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]In my own opinion, the best we can get from this election is 4 years where NOTHING. HAPPENS. AT. ALL.

In another opinion, it has become obvious Trump pulled off the ultimate crime: he successfully managed to make the Democratic party believe that him having real support was ridiculous. Because of this, nobody really focused on trying to sway fringe supporters (and as it turns out, calling all Trump supporters bigots is not how you get them on your side), leaving him to win with a near-equal voters.

That being said, this is the 4th time someone has won the public vote but lost the electoral vote. The fact that I can go on the internet and see a live update of the public vote during an election, means the system has no use in the modern age where we don't need to worry if all our citizen's votes will make it to D.C.
The electoral college still works for multiple reasons, lots of subtle checks of balance to ensure majority rules with minority representation.

Also electors have almost never failed to represent, they're picked for their party loyalty. But who knows maybe a few electors will decide to vote across party lines, might be nice.
Umby pile drop

[Image: unknown.png]
(11-15-2016, 11:58 AM)Reks Wrote: [ -> ]Umby pile drop

[Image: unknown.png]
Art drops confirmed meta.

Lovely work by the way.
(11-15-2016, 08:42 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2016, 03:37 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]I want to listen to some of my favorite songs when writing, drawing, or doing other work. But I always feel a nagging urge to either go on a run or sing along with them and end up getting lost in the music after just a few minutes.

In any situation where you're trying to do anything but jam, it's a bad thing.  Any types of music that make you feel relaxed and measured rather than energetic and hyper to listen to?

I have a massive list of songs, plenty can calm me down and help focus. It's mostly a matter of what mindset I get into. I just find myself zoning out on whatever I listen to recently, I'll just need to tire myself out on it earlier in the day.