Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-17-2017, 02:49 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Goodness gracious there's a new MWO patch and with it a whole new progression system. The old progression system consisted of 3 tiers of increasingly significant skills, various basic and minor improvements at tier 1, more significant and important improvements as well as a doubling of all tier 1 bonuses at tier 2, then an extra module slot at tier 3. The new system removes modules entirely in favor of a convoluted skill tree where the player mixes and matches up to 91 different nodes from multiple trees that, combined, contain over 200 potential nodes. On paper this sounds great, but each node is very granular, offering maybe only a 1% improvement to the skill, many valuable nodes are locked behind worthless nodes, so on and so forth. Mechs are having their progress in the previous system carried over in the form of "historic XP" which is exchanged for the new skill points used to unlock nodes, mechs without any HXP or without enough to unlock all 91 potential skill points have to grind mech XP the same as they did before, and then exchange mech XP plus C-bills for each skill point. This creates a slow and mostly intangible climb from 0SP to 91SP, to say nothing of the 4 million C-bills it costs to buy all 91 points.

This all isn't even the biggest problem with the skill tree though. The skill tree was implemented to replace the old quirk system, a series of fixed stat modifiers on a variant-by-variant basis that directly buffed weak mechs to help them compete with stronger builds, however it often created only small niches for underused mechs, and allowed already strong mechs to completely dominate their role. PGI didn't even remove the old quirks when the skill tree launched, because the skill tree is almost the same for every mech, weak mechs do not have more nodes, strong mechs do not have less, and thus it is completely ineffective as a balancing tool. Although the skill tree has briefly shaken things up, and a few new quirks available via the skill tree have brought back some builds, PGI has devoted a massive amount of time and resources to implementing a feature that has failed at all of its stated goals and adds only unnecessary complexity to an already confusing game.

I'm not bothered by any of this because they finally released a Clan Diamond Shark decal though.

I guess it still goes that if your player base doesn't agree with your choices.  Try to get a new player-base.  Sounds like they're keying for a wave of newbs who don't know how much worse it got rather than better and don't actually know of the former changes.

Also of note.  My writing is about to take a turn.  I should probably note that I'm actually a horror writer by practice.  Light horror, considering how out of practice I am, but nonetheless.  It won't get me in trouble will it, if I describe injuries and damage in detail as if they were just another color to add to a painting?

Figured I'd try asking before I started writing up the sudden change in style my posts would be endearing to you all.

Though as you have seen my writing is nowhere as good as my ideas.  Need so much more practice.  Haven't been writing or reading nearly enough.  Errgh...
(05-17-2017, 03:40 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2017, 02:49 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Goodness gracious there's a new MWO patch and with it a whole new progression system. The old progression system consisted of 3 tiers of increasingly significant skills, various basic and minor improvements at tier 1, more significant and important improvements as well as a doubling of all tier 1 bonuses at tier 2, then an extra module slot at tier 3. The new system removes modules entirely in favor of a convoluted skill tree where the player mixes and matches up to 91 different nodes from multiple trees that, combined, contain over 200 potential nodes. On paper this sounds great, but each node is very granular, offering maybe only a 1% improvement to the skill, many valuable nodes are locked behind worthless nodes, so on and so forth. Mechs are having their progress in the previous system carried over in the form of "historic XP" which is exchanged for the new skill points used to unlock nodes, mechs without any HXP or without enough to unlock all 91 potential skill points have to grind mech XP the same as they did before, and then exchange mech XP plus C-bills for each skill point. This creates a slow and mostly intangible climb from 0SP to 91SP, to say nothing of the 4 million C-bills it costs to buy all 91 points.

This all isn't even the biggest problem with the skill tree though. The skill tree was implemented to replace the old quirk system, a series of fixed stat modifiers on a variant-by-variant basis that directly buffed weak mechs to help them compete with stronger builds, however it often created only small niches for underused mechs, and allowed already strong mechs to completely dominate their role. PGI didn't even remove the old quirks when the skill tree launched, because the skill tree is almost the same for every mech, weak mechs do not have more nodes, strong mechs do not have less, and thus it is completely ineffective as a balancing tool. Although the skill tree has briefly shaken things up, and a few new quirks available via the skill tree have brought back some builds, PGI has devoted a massive amount of time and resources to implementing a feature that has failed at all of its stated goals and adds only unnecessary complexity to an already confusing game.

I'm not bothered by any of this because they finally released a Clan Diamond Shark decal though.

I guess it still goes that if your player base doesn't agree with your choices.  Try to get a new player-base.  Sounds like they're keying for a wave of newbs who don't know how much worse it got rather than better and don't actually know of the former changes.

Also of note.  My writing is about to take a turn.  I should probably note that I'm actually a horror writer by practice.  Light horror, considering how out of practice I am, but nonetheless.  It won't get me in trouble will it, if I describe injuries and damage in detail as if they were just another color to add to a painting?

Figured I'd try asking before I started writing up the sudden change in style my posts would be endearing to you all.

Though as you have seen my writing is nowhere as good as my ideas.  Need so much more practice.  Haven't been writing or reading nearly enough.  Errgh...
Sure go ahead. Don't worry about writing quality too much, yes improve and practice if you feel it's what you want to do. Live up to your own standards. However just know I don't practice rp and that the rp is only semi serious so your writing quality isn't to much of a concern. But don't stop practicing if that's what you want to do.

I think it's great, personally: it feels a lot more personalized and less grindy, even though it may not be the latter in reality. Balance wasn't the focus here, in any event.

Diamond Shark's a pretty weak clan, but at least you're not a freebirh scrub.
(05-18-2017, 03:37 AM)Sock of Retribution Wrote: [ -> ]

I think it's great, personally: it feels a lot more personalized and less grindy, even though it may not be the latter in reality. Balance wasn't the focus here, in any event.

Diamond Shark's a pretty weak clan, but at least you're not a freebirh scrub.
Excuse you, Diamond Shark's contributions to clan society were essential to making it what it is today

Anyways on topic, the grind is definitely worse in actuality, I've been putting myself through the full 0-91 experience in an Ice Fridge just to experience it and it's bad. I enjoy the personalization for sure, but it still needs tweaking.
It could probably benefit from some caffeine.
Quake Champions is pretty cool

sorlag is best waifu
murder lizard with guns
(05-20-2017, 02:40 PM)comet1337 Wrote: [ -> ]Quake Champions is pretty cool

sorlag is best waifu
murder lizard with guns
I was literally just watching gameplay of it yesterday, lol.

As a giant fan of 90's shooters, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of that lightning-fast gunplay. To hear that Sorlag has returned as well, ahh, that's good. She's up there on my waifu list as well.
i take back what i said

different hitbox sizes for different characters that the game never tells you about was an absolutely terrible design decision
small characters completely dominate the game and the lightning gun is an over powered tractor beam that you can't out-run, out-maneuver, or out-damage

movement speed VS health is fine, but the hitbox thing multiplies that difference by a million
small characters are hard to hit, fast characters are hard to hit. fast, small characters are invulnerable
and any large character loses all their health instantly because they are so easy to hit, regardless how much health/armor they have
(05-22-2017, 02:01 AM)comet1337 Wrote: [ -> ]i take back what i said

different hitbox sizes for different characters that the game never tells you about was an absolutely terrible design decision
small characters completely dominate the game and the lightning gun is an over powered tractor beam that you can't out-run, out-maneuver, or out-damage

movement speed VS health is fine, but the hitbox thing multiplies that difference by a million
small characters are hard to hit, fast characters are hard to hit. fast, small characters are invulnerable
and any large character loses all their health instantly because they are so easy to hit, regardless how much health/armor they have

I guess the only answer is the same one that it has been since the 80/90s.  Get better.  Practice.  Because those players that are making you rage started somewhere too.

In other news, yesterday was my nephew's first birthday.
Honestly I think the FPS genre is one that should be careful not to backpedal too much. Nostalgia makes people overlook some glaring issues but when you cater to that nostalgia first and foremost you risk stepping into those same potholes the classics did.
(05-23-2017, 09:01 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I guess the only answer is the same one that it has been since the 80/90s.  Get better.  Practice.  Because those players that are making you rage started somewhere too.

Well I wish your nephew a great first birthday!

(05-23-2017, 10:15 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I think the FPS genre is one that should be careful not to backpedal too much. Nostalgia makes people overlook some glaring issues but when you cater to that nostalgia first and foremost you risk stepping into those same potholes the classics did.

Nobody cares, it's classic. Wink
(05-23-2017, 03:29 PM)Sock of Retribution Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2017, 09:01 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I guess the only answer is the same one that it has been since the 80/90s.  Get better.  Practice.  Because those players that are making you rage started somewhere too.

(05-23-2017, 10:15 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I think the FPS genre is one that should be careful not to backpedal too much. Nostalgia makes people overlook some glaring issues but when you cater to that nostalgia first and foremost you risk stepping into those same potholes the classics did.

I care Sad
(05-23-2017, 03:29 PM)Sock of Retribution Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2017, 09:01 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I guess the only answer is the same one that it has been since the 80/90s.  Get better.  Practice.  Because those players that are making you rage started somewhere too.

Well if you can notice those issues and work them out you can make a pretty good nostalgia game.

(05-23-2017, 03:29 PM)Sock of Retribution Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2017, 09:01 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I guess the only answer is the same one that it has been since the 80/90s.  Get better.  Practice.  Because those players that are making you rage started somewhere too.

Well if you can notice those issues and work them out you can make a pretty good nostalgia game.
(05-24-2017, 12:52 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2017, 03:29 PM)Sock of Retribution Wrote: [ -> ]Well I wish your nephew a great first birthday!

(05-23-2017, 03:29 PM)Sock of Retribution Wrote: [ -> ]Well I wish your nephew a great first birthday!

That post is very nostalgic. The sweet irony

it's not about my personal skill, since i could mostly hold my own most games, consistently get a high hit ratio and highest average lifetime
the problem is balance
2 of the 3 small character with the lightning gun just dominate any game they are in, if they are any bit competent
...Been feeling retrospective tonight...
Hello. It's been a while.
I... suppose it's no secret that I've moved on from the forum here...
And I do miss it... but I just... can't find the motivation to keep checking here.
I never have anything to add to discussions here anymore, and activity is sparse...
So... I will probably come by every now and then, but...
Consider this my official "goodbye" to the Nexus forums...
At least for now... If things ever, well, pick up again, I might return for real, but...
Mmh... Well, I'll see you guys around, I guess...
(05-24-2017, 07:00 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]...Been feeling retrospective tonight...
And I do miss it... but I just... can't find the motivation to keep checking here.
I never have anything to add to discussions here anymore, and activity is sparse...
At least for now... If things ever, well, pick up again, I might return for real, but...
Knew this was coming.
Guess we'll be seeing you around shaad, it's not quite the same without you but I hope you have fun wherever you end up going
(05-24-2017, 10:47 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2017, 07:00 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]...Been feeling retrospective tonight...
Knew this was coming.
Guess we'll be seeing you around shaad, it's not quite the same without you but I hope you have fun wherever you end up going
it's complete utter chaos, yep....I was there too, but atleast  whenever I'm around everything cooled down alot
(05-24-2017, 11:16 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2017, 10:47 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Knew this was coming.
it's complete utter chaos, yep....I was there too, but atleast  whenever I'm around everything cooled down alot

chaos? what?
(05-23-2017, 03:30 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]

I care Sad

as should anybody, otherwise there will be another cross-genre push that will irritate a lot of players of some other genre because they want their perfect RTS or TBS in other games.

Generally the issue isn't going backwards.  (As some games catering to classics is okay)  It's trying to appeal to two contradicting demographics or styles of game-play that just don't work together.  That's the issue.  It splits the focus and ends up with two unpolished sections of what is supposed to be a single game, where nothing works anymore because of it.  "Splitting your attention and resources."  "Running yourself thin."  Etcetra.

And thanks, I'll be sure to smile at him once for you.

Good luck shaad.  I'll likely always still be here to scare you away again.