Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10-26-2016, 05:09 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-26-2016, 03:28 PM)Tanis Wrote: [ -> ]There will always be mechanical/protection tradeoffs, the Mjolnir armor is primarly designed to protect the wearer from ranged attacks, without restricting movement, or making the Spartan Soldiers unreasonably large targets; switching to a fixed helmet and onboard 360 sensor array like your proposing, adds bulk and weight to the suit, as well as introducing vulnerable subsystems that if knocked out or disrupted leave the soldier blinded.

If an opponent is going for a CQC kill, hes going to go for any vulnerable point on the suit, of which the neck is just one of many, their are major arteries all throughout the human body that if cut will cause rapid bleedout, along with trauma to the spine, fully protecting everything would require bulking the suit up to the point that you might as well just use a mech instead.
the armor isnt even that strong seeing some of the finishing move includes jabbing the knife through the visor and even the side helmet(seriously how much% of the development time were spend animating all those finishing moves?), honestly though a bullet even depleted uranium cores one would still deliver more energy than a knife jab even with power armor assist, if a knife can jab through it, a bullet will too just not the pistol caliber ones, full power rifles defiantly will

only excuse i can think of... is the energy shields would activate only when it detects a high speed projectile... though if anyone else had read the books (please don't be only me ;^ Wink you would know... they don't exactly deactivate... they are suppose to stop.. literally anything from touching the armor.. rather ineffecient i have to say but... ehh
(10-26-2016, 05:31 PM)Corosar Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-26-2016, 05:09 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]the armor isnt even that strong seeing some of the finishing move includes jabbing the knife through the visor and even the side helmet(seriously how much% of the development time were spend animating all those finishing moves?), honestly though a bullet even depleted uranium cores one would still deliver more energy than a knife jab even with power armor assist, if a knife can jab through it, a bullet will too just not the pistol caliber ones, full power rifles defiantly will

only excuse i can think of... is the energy shields would activate only when it detects a high speed projectile... though if anyone else had read the books (please don't be only me ;^ Wink you would know... they don't exactly deactivate... they are suppose to stop.. literally anything from touching the armor.. rather ineffecient i have to say but... ehh

Honestly I think energy shield generally is only effective against energy based weapons like lasers and plasma, kinetic energy projectile still goes through like nothing/air/cold plasma thus still delivers full energy to a target.

Hot plasma energy sheild could work on kinetic projectile but it will also harm.the user too being that close to a high temperature source
(10-26-2016, 05:46 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-26-2016, 05:31 PM)Corosar Wrote: [ -> ]only excuse i can think of... is the energy shields would activate only when it detects a high speed projectile... though if anyone else had read the books (please don't be only me ;^ Wink you would know... they don't exactly deactivate... they are suppose to stop.. literally anything from touching the armor.. rather ineffecient i have to say but... ehh

Honestly I think energy shield generally is only effective against energy based weapons like lasers and plasma, kinetic energy projectile still goes through like nothing/air/cold plasma thus still delivers full energy to a target.

Hot plasma energy sheild could work on kinetic projectile but it will also harm.the user too being that close to a high temperature source

it be kinda interesting yes... but i believe we already figured out energy shielding for explosive shockwaves already... may be possible someday. just not anytime soon. besides... our experimental fusion reactors current create large amounts of plasma without melting the whole thing.. so.. i figure it be possible to isolate it... somewhat.
*flops on floor* art is hard D:
Oh yeah, I never mentioned that I've been working to replace Surge as an in-universe character. Turns out very little of the original character survived that rewrite. I think it's mostly finished by now though.
(10-26-2016, 06:36 PM)Corosar Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-26-2016, 05:46 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I think energy shield generally is only effective against energy based weapons like lasers and plasma, kinetic energy projectile still goes through like nothing/air/cold plasma thus still delivers full energy to a target.

it be kinda interesting yes... but i believe we already figured out energy shielding for explosive shockwaves already... may be possible someday. just not anytime soon. besides... our experimental fusion reactors current create large amounts of plasma without melting the whole thing.. so.. i figure it be possible to isolate it... somewhat.

the distance between the fusion plasma and the fission is somewhat greater compared to energy shielding in power armor, also you can isolate the hot plasma but you can isolate the thermal convection and radiation from the plasma, also hot plasma kinda glows so you probably cant see poop while everyone can see you as bright as the sun

(10-26-2016, 07:52 PM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]*flops on floor* art is hard D:

it is but it still dont let that discourage you from arting, it means you're going through a skill gap and once you passed that you skill'd up

(10-26-2016, 08:20 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yeah, I never mentioned that I've been working to replace Surge as an in-universe character. Turns out very little of the original character survived that rewrite. I think it's mostly finished by now though.

rip Surge, 22xx-2016, so I guess he's no longer a umby anymore

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10/russia-claims-active-protection-system.html
now APS, that's the real shielding
(10-27-2016, 12:54 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-26-2016, 08:20 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yeah, I never mentioned that I've been working to replace Surge as an in-universe character. Turns out very little of the original character survived that rewrite. I think it's mostly finished by now though.

I would never be able to get away with that, so no.
(10-27-2016, 01:56 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-27-2016, 12:54 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]rip Surge, 22xx-2016, so I guess he's no longer a umby anymore

I would never be able to get away with that, so no.

So how's that going to work anyway? I assume you mean with the RP, so is Surge gonna be replaced by a mirror universe version of himself or something?
(10-27-2016, 02:15 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-27-2016, 01:56 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]I would never be able to get away with that, so no.

So how's that going to work anyway? I assume you mean with the RP, so is Surge gonna be replaced by a mirror universe version of himself or something?

no the RP surge will be unchanged. Partly because the RP version is technically already a "mirror universe" version of him.
The Surge I wanted to replace was the one who never quite fit into my worldbuilding, which makes him pretty unique among my "long term" characters in that he doesn't actively fit into any setting I like to work with. His replacement actually fits more or less into the universe I have and I can treat him as, you know, an actual existing character in that universe instead of sheepishly brushing him under a rug when I want to show somebody around.
(10-27-2016, 02:24 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-27-2016, 02:15 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]So how's that going to work anyway? I assume you mean with the RP, so is Surge gonna be replaced by a mirror universe version of himself or something?

no the RP surge will be unchanged. Partly because the RP version is technically already a "mirror universe" version of him.
The Surge I wanted to replace was the one who never quite fit into my worldbuilding, which makes him pretty unique among my "long term" characters in that he doesn't actively fit into any setting I like to work with. His replacement actually fits more or less into the universe I have and I can treat him as, you know, an actual existing character in that universe instead of sheepishly brushing him under a rug when I want to show somebody around.
wait, how many surges are there?
(10-27-2016, 02:52 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-27-2016, 02:24 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]no the RP surge will be unchanged. Partly because the RP version is technically already a "mirror universe" version of him.
wait, how many surges are there?
Well 753 raised the question of "what would another universe's surge be like" so a few.
Well then I guess it's time to start thinking about body armors filled with kinetic gel akin to oobleck.

Considering their specifications.  Holding a knife blade to the surface of the shield would react like a steel coated block of foam.  For a brief moment there's resistance before it goes right through.  Why?  Because the shield at the point would start accepting the blade as if it was part of the armor.  The major thing to note is that the halo games have always seemed to show it as if the shields pop a moment before the assassinations, like some sort of sabotage of their suit before the fight even started or something.  Just, shields pop suddenly, then stab.  

Maybe something related to converting the shield to an EMP effect on impact which is seen in the first game?  But, then why do you still have full shields after the assassination of someone?  

Wait, right, the multiplayer is all spartan training grounds and simulations.  Now that elites are allied with humanity it's pretty obvious why they are there, if not simply humans in the simulation to look like elites.  So it's possible that their shields are simply deactivating as punishment for not paying attention, not doing well enough.  So they can't just rely on their shields to cover their own ass.  Make them better soldiers, not lazier.  Watch your six, right?

Or do shields cancel each other out somehow?
(10-27-2016, 04:28 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]Well then I guess it's time to start thinking about body armors filled with kinetic gel akin to oobleck.

Considering their specifications.  Holding a knife blade to the surface of the shield would react like a steel coated block of foam.  For a brief moment there's resistance before it goes right through.  Why?  Because the shield at the point would start accepting the blade as if it was part of the armor.  The major thing to note is that the halo games have always seemed to show it as if the shields pop a moment before the assassinations, like some sort of sabotage of their suit before the fight even started or something.  Just, shields pop suddenly, then stab.  

Maybe something related to converting the shield to an EMP effect on impact which is seen in the first game?  But, then why do you still have full shields after the assassination of someone?  

Wait, right, the multiplayer is all spartan training grounds and simulations.  Now that elites are allied with humanity it's pretty obvious why they are there, if not simply humans in the simulation to look like elites.  So it's possible that their shields are simply deactivating as punishment for not paying attention, not doing well enough.  So they can't just rely on their shields to cover their own ass.  Make them better soldiers, not lazier.  Watch your six, right?

Or do shields cancel each other out somehow?
I think it's just game engine to show damage well be it's projectile or instant kill melee.
(10-27-2016, 12:54 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-26-2016, 06:36 PM)Corosar Wrote: [ -> ]it be kinda interesting yes... but i believe we already figured out energy shielding for explosive shockwaves already... may be possible someday. just not anytime soon. besides... our experimental fusion reactors current create large amounts of plasma without melting the whole thing.. so.. i figure it be possible to isolate it... somewhat.

the distance between the fusion plasma and the fission is somewhat greater compared to energy shielding in power armor, also you can isolate the hot plasma but you can isolate the thermal convection and radiation from the plasma, also hot plasma kinda glows so you probably cant see poop while everyone can see you as bright as the sun

(10-26-2016, 07:52 PM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]*flops on floor* art is hard D:

it is but it still dont let that discourage you from arting, it means you're going through a skill gap and once you passed that you skill'd up

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10/russia-claims-active-protection-system.html
now APS, that's the real shielding

Sun shielding!~
(10-27-2016, 03:57 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-27-2016, 02:52 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]wait, how many surges are there?
Well 753 raised the question of "what would another universe's surge be like" so a few.

Time to pepper Surge with questions about his OC's on Steam and/or Discord! >Big Grin *rubs wings together*
Looks like silly RP died completely. Usually when I take a few days to check in it has suddenly lept several pages.

Discord is destroying the internet.
You'd be the first to ask anything at all
(10-27-2016, 03:42 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like silly RP died completely. Usually when I take a few days to check in it has suddenly lept several pages.

At least I'm not the only one who's concerned.
(10-27-2016, 03:42 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like silly RP died completely. Usually when I take a few days to check in it has suddenly lept several pages.

(10-27-2016, 03:42 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]You'd be the first to ask anything at all

(10-27-2016, 03:53 PM)Sock of Retribution Wrote: [ -> ]

At least I'm not the only one who's concerned.

Well sorry
Haven't found much reason to be active in it recently and video games keep drawing away my attention
I'll actually make a continuation and respond to Sock now.
I suppose this would be a place to complain about how it irks me that there are people who have and use discord, yet still cling to teamspeak.