Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could be composite, the plates are spaced, which you want in your armor.
(07-12-2016, 11:42 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Could be composite, the plates are spaced, which you want in your armor.

Well the spacing makes sense for a HEAT round but I'm not so sure about AP/KE projectile, I mean a solid block of metal theoretically is stronger than than slices of the same metal but plates of equal thickness(excluding spacing)
(07-12-2016, 11:59 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2016, 11:42 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Could be composite, the plates are spaced, which you want in your armor.

Well the spacing makes sense for a HEAT round but I'm not so sure about AP/KE projectile, I mean a solid block of metal theoretically is stronger than than slices of the same metal but plates of equal thickness(excluding spacing)
Spaced armor, especially angled like that, has always been more effective than block armor.
(07-13-2016, 12:00 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2016, 11:59 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Well the spacing makes sense for a HEAT round but I'm not so sure about AP/KE projectile, I mean a solid block of metal theoretically is stronger than than slices of the same metal but plates of equal thickness(excluding spacing)
Spaced armor, especially angled like that, has always been more effective than block armor.

Bridge trusses carry significantly more weight than a solid block of metal with the same dimensions as the truss.  Engineering at work.

In the case of composite armor, the plates are overlapped in a way that is intended to try and maximize ricochet so that when a plate is breached the debris bounce off the layer behind it in order to dissapate that energy and prevent it from penetrating the next layer.

I don't think they would be air gap in between though, I would expect a ballistic foam or a gel between slabs of armor- again in order to rob as much energy as possible from the projectile/debris to prevent it from breaching the next layer.
(07-12-2016, 11:36 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Okay a bit of change of topic from space flight to ground armor,
[Image: Merkva%2520Mk3BAZ%2520armour.png]
I'm not entirely sure this is modern composite armor, just slabs of other armor plates inside a metal casing? I also heard some turret armor were like half of the front part is just either solid block of metal armor or atleast kinda like the one above

(07-12-2016, 11:35 PM)achroma Wrote: [ -> ]I think my graphics card is dying. Slowly everything is getting a purplish tint

That might be just your VGA cable, seen this happen a few time on poorly connected projectors

Forgot to mention, it's happening to my company provided laptop.
(07-13-2016, 12:10 AM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 12:00 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Spaced armor, especially angled like that, has always been more effective than block armor.

Bridge trusses carry significantly more weight than a solid block of metal with the same dimensions as the truss.  Engineering at work.

In the case of composite armor, the plates are overlapped in a way that is intended to try and maximize ricochet so that when a plate is breached the debris bounce off the layer behind it in order to dissapate that energy and prevent it from penetrating the next layer.

I don't think they would be air gap in between though, I would expect a ballistic foam or a gel between slabs of armor- again in order to rob as much energy as possible from the projectile/debris to prevent it from breaching the next layer.

I'm not sure, I've seen some of the T72's turret have different types of metal cast into the turret which eliminates the need of gel suspension for the spacing
[Image: T72M1opis.png]
I've also seen some version of the T72's turret have special slots for composite plates on the frontal sides as well
The T-72 is much older than modern composite armor.
(07-13-2016, 12:28 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]The T-72 is much older than modern composite armor.

Isnt most modern MBTs we have were cold war designs?
(07-13-2016, 12:33 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 12:28 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]The T-72 is much older than modern composite armor.

Isnt most modern MBTs we have were cold war designs?
Yes but the cold war spanned at least 3 generations of design. The T-72 survived as the T-90 but it is now on the way out.
(07-13-2016, 12:35 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 12:33 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Isnt most modern MBTs we have were cold war designs?
Yes but the cold war spanned at least 3 generations of design. The T-72 survived as the T-90 but it is now on the way out.

c'mon with all the latest tanks still being 'sekrit documents' I kinda doubt we can discuss on those, heck we still havent got the chance to seen a cross section of an Abram's frontal armor, the only thin I know was that the hull could have DU armor

also why am I receiving notification/PMs now from posts from this thread, I dont remember I'm subscribing to it
(07-13-2016, 12:52 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 12:35 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but the cold war spanned at least 3 generations of design. The T-72 survived as the T-90 but it is now on the way out.

c'mon with all the latest tanks still being 'sekrit documents' I kinda doubt we can discuss on those, heck we still havent got the chance to seen a cross section of an Abram's frontal armor, the only thin I know was that the hull could have DU armor

also why am I receiving notification now from posts from this thread, I dont remember I'm subscribing to it
We can't discuss composite plating at all if it's not the latest stuff.
(07-13-2016, 12:54 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 12:52 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]c'mon with all the latest tanks still being 'sekrit documents' I kinda doubt we can discuss on those, heck we still havent got the chance to seen a cross section of an Abram's frontal armor, the only thin I know was that the hull could have DU armor

also why am I receiving notification now from posts from this thread, I dont remember I'm subscribing to it
We can't discuss composite plating at all if it's not the latest stuff.

I'm pretty sure the T-72 are one the the earlier example of composite armor, I mean it's not like a T-54/55 and their modernization armor modules/applique now those are late/post WWII tanks
According to Wikipedia the T-72 is made with up to 11 inches of cast steel.
The first armor retrofit introduced ceramic bars however, which qualifies it as composite.
(07-13-2016, 01:00 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]According to Wikipedia the T-72 is made with up to 11 inches of cast steel.
well turret wise(still not sure why I can pen the turret with heat and APDSFS still bounces sometimes), the upper glacis is composite, but composites is usually made from various materials which I think using different type of casts kinda counts
(07-13-2016, 01:04 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 01:00 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]According to Wikipedia the T-72 is made with up to 11 inches of cast steel.
well turret wise(still not sure why I can pen the turret with heat and APDSFS still bounces sometimes), the upper glacis is composite, but composites is usually made from various materials which I think using different type of casts kinda counts
According to wiki most T-72 composite plates used laminate layers, ceramic rods, or silica filler. The use of silica based filler in composite plates dates back to the 40s apparently, however production of composite armor began with the T-64's glass reinforced plastic. The plastic could be moulded into cast shapes, however the ceramics more commonly used today cannot.
(07-13-2016, 01:08 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 01:04 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]well turret wise(still not sure why I can pen the turret with heat and APDSFS still bounces sometimes), the upper glacis is composite, but composites is usually made from various materials which I think using different type of casts kinda counts
According to wiki most T-72 composite plates used laminate layers, ceramic rods, or silica filler. The use of silica based filler in composite plates dates back to the 40s apparently, however production of composite armor began with the T-64's glass reinforced plastic.

you forgot the balls

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1KJyyTLTojpnuIYNpnhb...taNNpIrlsQ](T-64 turret)
I'm still not quite sure about what's the full effect of ball bearing composite do, best guess it's like rebar reinforcement
(07-13-2016, 01:13 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 01:08 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]According to wiki most T-72 composite plates used laminate layers, ceramic rods, or silica filler. The use of silica based filler in composite plates dates back to the 40s apparently, however production of composite armor began with the T-64's glass reinforced plastic.

you forgot the balls

I'm still not quite sure about what's the full effect of ball bearing composite do, best guess it's like rebar reinforcement
Likely it was intended to disrupt the flow of a shaped charge blast by presenting obstacles the molten metal will be more inclined to go around than through. Similar to the principles applied in Chobham armor, albeit a bit more passive.
(07-13-2016, 01:14 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 01:13 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]you forgot the balls

Likely it was intended to disrupt the flow of a shaped charge blast by presenting obstacles the molten metal will be more inclined to go around than through. Similar to the principles applied in Chobham armor, albeit a bit more passive.
isnt the hallow ceramic honey comb atleast what I heard of in chobham armor also a passive armor?(I'm pretty sure active armor is something like reactive plates? where passive is well just the metal plate/structure)
(07-13-2016, 01:23 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2016, 01:14 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Likely it was intended to disrupt the flow of a shaped charge blast by presenting obstacles the molten metal will be more inclined to go around than through. Similar to the principles applied in Chobham armor, albeit a bit more passive.
isnt the hallow ceramic honey comb atleast what I heard of in chobham armor also a passive armor?(I'm pretty sure active armor is something like reactive plates? where passive is well just the metal plate/structure)

Well Chobham is built on the idea that the ceramic under the steel will shatter violently when penetrated, then the shrapnel will disrupt the flow of the HEAT jet and thus preventing it from penetrating the second plate.
Quote:blah blah engineering blah
I UNDERSTAND NONE OF THIS.

(07-12-2016, 02:32 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]oh right this place is still a thing
hello
Ohai.

(07-12-2016, 11:35 PM)achroma Wrote: [ -> ]I think my graphics card is dying. Slowly everything is getting a purplish tint
Good. It is beginning to take effect.
Did you try turning it off and on again? That always* works.
*Dramatization.