Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04-02-2017, 12:31 AM)achroma Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone up for some to humor?

Is it good humor? If so do it.
Just going to have a spoiler, because as it stands, you may be triggered
(04-02-2017, 10:51 AM)achroma Wrote: [ -> ]Just going to have a spoiler, because as it stands, you may be triggered

It's spelled ladder.
Fucking hype. Convinced my battletech GM to stock our unit with some prototype double heatsinks until the real thing becomes available. We have 20 of them to throw around.
(04-04-2017, 01:47 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2017, 07:57 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]It's spelled ladder.

This is unrelated but you haven't posted in the rp for awhile I'd like to get Austin in a state where I can send him wherever I feel makes sense.

(04-03-2017, 11:56 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Fucking hype. Convinced my battletech GM to stock our unit with some prototype double heatsinks until the real thing becomes available. We have 20 of them to throw around.

Turns out they're all horribly flawed and you won't find out till it's too late.
No they're all actually perfectly fine, they just rot away from coolant corrosion after a few years. As opposed to standard double heat sinks which can be kept functional for centuries with proper maintenance. Our current position in the timeline means that those regular DHS will start rolling out around the time our prototypes become scrap.
also meanwhile on warthunder 2017 appril fools event

(04-01-2017, 11:06 PM)achroma Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2017, 07:56 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]Were we getting hit by spambots?
Logged in to find 260 new posts, but only like 30 when I actually looked.
And our newest member has a long Russian name, which in my experience is usually a sign of spambots on non-Russian sites.
Also like 1.3 pages of unactivated members, some of which have variations on the same name or common spambot names of [commonfirstname][commonlastname].

Wait, we have a discord?  I would like an invite

Not sure where you got that from what I said??
But yes, there's a Discord.
We can't just invite people willy-nilly; it's kinda selective about who can join.

Edit: Currently, they are not accepting join requests.
Grumble grumble
So much waiting lately, have I complained about that yet? Waiting for new MWO content, waiting for the Stellaris DLC, waiting for Rimworld mod updates, waiting for the Cities Skylines DLC, waiting for the battletech beta, waiting to hear back from artists, now I'm waiting for Sins of a Solar Empire mod updates.
huh, neat new avatar, look less umby and more grump something
(04-05-2017, 07:13 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]So much waiting lately, have I complained about that yet? Waiting for new MWO content, waiting for the Stellaris DLC, waiting for Rimworld mod updates, waiting for the Cities Skylines DLC, waiting for the battletech beta, waiting to hear back from artists, now I'm waiting for Sins of a Solar Empire mod updates.

You know, there was a dr.Suess book that had waiting be a part of it m; it was like the waiting room but not like a normal waiting room, I forget what book it's in but this reminds me of it.
(04-05-2017, 08:06 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]huh, neat new avatar, look less umby and more grump something
When have I been known for anything other than my poor temperament?
(04-05-2017, 05:12 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2017, 08:06 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]huh, neat new avatar, look less umby and more grump something

Snark with a dose of mechs
(04-01-2017, 07:56 PM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]Were we getting hit by spambots?
Logged in to find 260 new posts, but only like 30 when I actually looked.
And our newest member has a long Russian name, which in my experience is usually a sign of spambots on non-Russian sites.
Also like 1.3 pages of unactivated members, some of which have variations on the same name or common spambot names of [commonfirstname][commonlastname].

Spambots have been a problem since I first put my servers online.

Most of the time its the same old advertising trash that never will learn. Effective countermeasures are in place to keep the administrative burden of them to a minimum.

If you did find a spot where they are getting through please tell me and I will recheck the permissions there.
(04-05-2017, 05:12 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]

Ahhh, so you were the other guy who got a commission from Wolven?

Looks fantastic > w< b
Surge looks ready to shoot some aliens.
I can respect that o wo b
(04-06-2017, 12:04 AM)Reks Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2017, 05:12 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]When have I been known for anything other than my poor temperament?

Ahhh, so you were the other guy who got a commission from Wolven?

Looks fantastic > w< b
Yeah, I really liked his style and his rates were good.
(04-06-2017, 12:13 AM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]Surge looks ready to shoot some aliens.
I can respect that o wo b
Funny you say that, it's XCOM armor.
[Image: surge__commission__by_itswolven-db4s03j.png]

[Image: aa33133c70fa953aca2440394e874f64.png]
[Image: ead737288933f1973f9d0535f8296a69.png]
[Image: 3386c9a743336c80b626c8de4ee9ca13.png]
Well this week's megamek night was...interesting. We set up a firing line and ripped them apart.
90-seconds of game-time, unrelenting blitzkrieg.
(04-06-2017, 12:20 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]Funny you say that, it's XCOM armor.

I said that because I knew it was XCOM armor, but thanks anyway

I've also been killing aliens recently, but in Helldivers and not XCOM.
...And Helldivers definitely has much worse reasons for killing aliens.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gametales/comments/63veix/battletech_welcome_to_the_jungle_kids/

Shameless self promotion that I posted a write-up of last night's megamek massacre to reddit.
(04-01-2017, 08:51 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]No.  Exo-suits were already a thing.  That is what I was referring to.  They were scrapped for pretty good reasons.  Like, 10, 13 years ago.

I already know of what you speak, you needn't continue on exosuits and power armor since you aren't even arguing for the truth on either of those anymore, but a "what if" and a "maybe" for opinions sake about the difference between a commando force and a standard military.  Which is a long shot away from what we were talking about before and has nothing to do with power armor OR exo suits.  And shouldn't have even been brought up since it is a strawman argument.  I'm interested in learning new things.  Not hearing another opinion stated as if it's a fact, so please, slow down.  That's why I directly ignored your deviation from the topic at hand.  I didn't miss it, you lost target.  Though you are at least back on target now.  I've already shared what little information I had access to and beyond would be opinions.  So you can't really expect much more from me, sorry to say.  Though your new information is nice to know.

I'm sorry, WHAT?  o.O

No seriously, what was that? I have been rereading that post, and all posts preceding it back to post #5'183, since Monday, trying to parse out any meaning of what you just said that doesn't carry... unpleasant implications.

But more to the point, you have thrown down the gauntlet over what i thought was a reasonable, and friendly, if slightly heated debate about the design, nature, and implications of Powered Exoskeletons/Power Armour/Mechs; You had the option to end this debate calmly, stating your disagreement with my point's, and i would have let it go at that:

Quote:No.  Exo-suits were already a thing.  That is what I was referring to.  They were scrapped for pretty good reasons.  Like, 10, 13 years ago.

You've stated as apparent fact several times now, that real, combat ready, Exoskeletons/Power Armor/Mechs have already been developed, only now adding a general timeline for when this supposedly happened, but still you refrain from offering any dates, details, or even a program name.

I have no idea where your getting that 10-13 year figure from, but DARPA never stopped backing development of Powered Exoskeletons for the Pentagon; if the technology for practical, field portable, Powered Exoskeletons and Powered Armour does not yet exist, it certainly was not available a decade ago. hence my ongoing confusion about your claims in this regard.

the only alternative explanation i can think of that makes sense of your statements, is that you have confused concepts and prototypes... with finished products.

Quote:I already know of what you speak, you needn't continue on exosuits and power armor since you aren't even arguing for the truth on either of those anymore,

As one of my favourite fictional characters once said: "The Truth, is often what we make of it."

And by trying to dictate to others what "the Truth" is, you are walking a dangerous path.

Quote:but a "what if" and a "maybe" for opinions sake about the difference between a commando force and a standard military.

Form follows Function, Function serves Demand; military Power Armour will only ever be fielded, if their is an actual military demand for it.

You implied (I can barely decipher what your saying through your garbled grammar, so i am forced to operate on what i think you where trying to say) that realistically, Power Armour will never be seriously fielded by any military, i was citing potential scenarios and contexts in which it would be logical to field Power Armour.

As Power Armour has yet to exist in any practical form in real life, "what if" and "maybe" are all we have.

Quote:And shouldn't have even been brought up since it is a strawman argument.

You just had to go there...

Please tell me, did you throw in that accusation out of ignorance? or where you attempting to shut me up?

If it was the former, I don't think that term means quite what you think it means; if it was the latter...  well...  i don't take kindly to accusations.

Quote:I'm interested in learning new things.  Not hearing another opinion stated as if it's a fact, so please, slow down.

I have admitted before that i have a weakness for rambling; even so, i stated my opinions, and stated some of the facts that have lead me to hold those opinions, that you apparently can't distinguish between the two is a failure of communications on my part, and i apologize for that.

Quote:That's why I directly ignored your deviation from the topic at hand.  I didn't miss it, you lost target.  Though you are at least back on target now.

Why was this part even needed? ignoring all tangential relevance of my "deviation from the topic at hand", i dropped the point, you admit recognition that i dropped it...

What purpose do these 3 sentences serve?

Quote:I've already shared what little information I had access to and beyond would be opinions.  So you can't really expect much more from me, sorry to say.  Though your new information is nice to know.

Angry

Would you make up your f****** mind?!?

What was this debate about then? near future reality? science fiction? alternate history?!? what?!?!?

Should i continue attempting to participate in this forum? offering what i know, and what logical conclusions i've come too over the past nearly 2 decades of following scientific and mil-tech developments semi-obsessively? or am i just wasting my time, and bashing my head against another brick wall? because i have better things to do with my time.