Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-02-2017, 08:09 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]just gonna leave this here
Snip
not as cool and good as rek's comission but eh, it's something

So what''s the story with this one?  And is that a broken pistol grip?
Hey you remember the picture based off the funny conversation about Halloween decorations we had. I wanna see it again if anybody could link me to the picture in some way. Conversation too if possible but not needed. I just really want to see it again. The profile pic I got from it is my favorite which is why I want to look at it again.
(05-02-2017, 09:08 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2017, 08:09 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]just gonna leave this here
Snip
not as cool and good as rek's comission but eh, it's something

So what''s the story with this one?  And is that a broken pistol grip?
just a kinda POV-perspective practice turned into a full scene just Null doing its usual infiltration stuff, and yeah that's a broken pistol kinda based on one photo of a busted Five seveN though it's not over pressure in the firing chamber but null manage to shoot the pistol disabling it and knock the soldier on the ground.

(05-02-2017, 11:20 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey you remember the picture based off the funny conversation about Halloween decorations we had. I wanna see it again if anybody could link me to the picture in some way. Conversation too if possible but not needed. I just really want to see it again. The profile pic I got from it is my favorite which is why I want to look at it again.

that's one kinda old and compared to now it looks kinda bad so I dont really wanna see that again
I apologize for crashing your conversation, but I wanted to post this where people would see it.

I like to think that the Avali's choice of weaponry and tactics are considered "unsporting." That they don't have much of a predominant "honor" system from before they became space-faring, and therefore have difficulty understanding other's ideas of "war" or combat. That is, if they care.
The only conflict they have had extensive experience with has been of the "kill animals to eat them" variety, and therefore don't give two sub-zero shits about "warrior's death," or "undue suffering", etc. The most "glory" they associate with it is simple interest: "Noice, how many railgun slugs did it take to make his skull do that?"
Like, a Klingon would challenge a 'Vali to a 1 v 1 duel of honor, and get mad when said 'Vali is backed up by their pack. Or instead of exchanging broadsides in an epic dreadnought battle, they flit around with stealth/drone swarms and gradually wear down the enemy defenses.
Like their aerogel swords, which are, in the world of sword metaphors, jagged, splintery broken bottles. Unorthodox, but leaves nasty wounds, which is a bonus.

TL;DR Avali don't care if you think it's unfair. It works, and your rules suck.

Ryujiin, if I'm wrong, feel free to flip this table-load of idiocy. I'm trying to get ideas going, NOT establish a canon that isn't mine.
So I think I have the essential cast set up to get started on my story;
Captain Pax: A Tecarian freighter captain, his ship was destroyed in the closing days of the war but he was rescued by the Remnant Navy. Serves the Remnants today as a high ranking officer with his own recommissioned carrier.
Admiral Carn: A Tecarian battlecruiser captain, command of the Remnant Navy as a whole fell to Carn early on, but 20 years of trying to navigate the extremely grim circumstances of the Remnants has eroded an aggressive warship captain into a risk-averse logistician.
Guards Colonel Basic: A Tecarian infantry officer who commanded one of the hundreds of military holdouts scattered through the sector until the Remnant Navy stumbled on and saved him and his men. With the better part of a century of service behind him, Basic looks at the Remnant fleet and sees not a barely functional scrap heap like Carn, but a tool with which they can restore some semblance of order to the battered sector.
Manaxis Inels: A Marrian pirate lord, Manax's early life was marked dually by lavish luxury and a constant attraction to violence. Of course such violence is only tolerated so far, even for a family with as much influence as the Inels, and so it was inevitable that he would abandon his family's legacy to become a mercenary. The mercenary life didn't suit the spoiled Manax though, and it took little to push him towards simply directly taking what he wants. Years later Manaxis controls a battlegroup of pirate ships in a lawless frontier, he is free to pillage and bask in stolen luxuries as he pleases, his crews kept in line mostly by fear and success, there is one prize he seeks more than any other though. Reports surface from time to time of ghost ships, remnants of the Tecarian Navy still diligently patrolling lanes, he has never been able to verify these rumors, but he would stop at nothing to claim a trophy such as a real intact Tecarian vessel.
(05-03-2017, 03:54 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2017, 11:20 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey you remember the picture based off the funny conversation about Halloween decorations we had. I wanna see it again if anybody could link me to the picture in some way. Conversation too if possible but not needed. I just really want to see it again. The profile pic I got from it is my favorite which is why I want to look at it again.

that's one kinda old and compared to now it looks kinda bad so I dont really wanna see that again
Awww but I do... 
At least know I liked how you drew me. I especially like being in a link costume.
(05-03-2017, 05:27 AM)Chimera Wrote: [ -> ]I apologize for crashing your conversation, but I wanted to post this where people would see it.

I like to think that the Avali's choice of weaponry and tactics are considered "unsporting." That they don't have much of a predominant "honor" system from before they became space-faring, and therefore have difficulty understanding other's ideas of "war" or combat. That is, if they care.
The only conflict they have had extensive experience with has been of the "kill animals to eat them" variety, and therefore don't give two sub-zero shits about "warrior's death," or "undue suffering", etc. The most "glory" they associate with it is simple interest: "Noice, how many railgun slugs did it take to make his skull do that?"
Like, a Klingon would challenge a 'Vali to a 1 v 1 duel of honor, and get mad when said 'Vali is backed up by their pack. Or instead of exchanging broadsides in an epic dreadnought battle, they flit around with stealth/drone swarms and gradually wear down the enemy defenses.
Like their aerogel swords, which are, in the world of sword metaphors, jagged, splintery broken bottles. Unorthodox, but leaves nasty wounds, which is a bonus.

TL;DR Avali don't care if you think it's unfair. It works, and your rules suck.

Ryujiin, if I'm wrong, feel free to flip this table-load of idiocy. I'm trying to get ideas going, NOT establish a canon that isn't mine.

I tend to feel similarly, but even beyond an honor system, I feel like they wouldn't have rules of war. They would view war from in a light strongly influenced by their experience with the malefactors: either win, or risk annihilation. War with the avali is total war. No Geneva Convention, no distinction between military and civilian targets, nothing. Your people deserve everything, and your enemies deserve nothing.

With this in mind, you can't really say that the rules suck: not only does total war put civilian populations at risk, but it also generally increases the level of violence and barbarity on both sides because one of the big reason militaries follow laws of war is so that they will be treated that way in turn. If you know that the avali will have no qualms executing or torturing your men if you're captured, the only thing keeping you from responding in kind is your own moral standards, and not everybody can maintain those in times of war. Rules of war to make a horrible activity less horrible.

My TL;DR summary of that runs "If you're part of the avali ingroup, they'll do anything for you. If not, they'll do anything to you."

Also, you might have more success discussing lore in the mod reboot thread: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/avali-1-0-reboot-discussion.122117

You could also hop over to my machinima thread here, but I don't come here very often.
2 people I haven't really seen before (or much) talking about avali wow.

I hope you guys realize that this place doesn't talk about lore it's more of a slow chat room than anything.

Though don't let that stop you if you want to lore chat. There are better places though.
(05-04-2017, 01:46 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]2 people I haven't really seen before (or much) talking about avali wow.

I hope you guys realize that this place doesn't talk about lore it's more of a slow chat room than anything.

Though don't let that stop you if you want to lore chat. There are better places though.

YDH is a Starbound machinima creator who used the avali in his machinima and already knows this.  Cereal however is new as far as I know and hadn't been told that "Avali nexus" is an artifact title currently. 

However if it were to once again reclaim it as more than an artifact title this site may see more members who stay.  Hmm.

Hello to you YDH, haven't seen you in a bit again.  This a sign of a new update on your channel at all?
(05-05-2017, 01:12 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2017, 01:46 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]2 people I haven't really seen before (or much) talking about avali wow.

YDH is a Starbound machinima creator who used the avali in his machinima and already knows this.  Cereal however is new as far as I know and hadn't been told that "Avali nexus" is an artifact title currently. 

However if it were to once again reclaim it as more than an artifact title this site may see more members who stay.  Hmm.

Hello to you YDH, haven't seen you in a bit again.  This a sign of a new update on your channel at all?

Well I don't think the title is just artifact. It's not as representative as it should be but eh I kinda see why it is the way it is now. However, I do think yes if this was the real official avali forum that it might be more popular but I'm not sure how we would even get there.
I think it would help to be more popular though. Them maybe we could set course to really fixing this place up
(05-05-2017, 01:12 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]

Hey. Yes, I'm currently in the middle of the long, boring part of making a machinima episode: arranging recorded dialogue into coherent scenes that I can use to match visuals. Making progress, but no ETA yet.
(05-05-2017, 01:48 AM)YDH Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2017, 01:12 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]Hello to you YDH, haven't seen you in a bit again.  This a sign of a new update on your channel at all?

Hey. Yes, I'm currently in the middle of the long, boring part of making a machinima episode: arranging recorded dialogue into coherent scenes that I can use to match visuals. Making progress, but no ETA yet.

After talking with numerous folks about the actual work part of things.  And listening to explanations of it.  I have a general idea about how soul-draining that part can be.  And an appreciation for those who are willing to carry through with it.  Glad to hear about progress being made.  Hope everything goes well.

(05-05-2017, 01:46 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I don't think the title is just artifact. It's not as representative as it should be but eh I kinda see why it is the way it is now. However, I do think yes if this was the real official avali forum that it might be more popular but I'm not sure how we would even get there.
I think it would help to be more popular though. Them maybe we could set course to really fixing this place up

The thing is, this site has no real focus on the avali overall anymore.  (or at least not enough of one to outdo other titles, as there has been more talk of world of tanks and other vehicular war sims than avali over the past year+ by far)  As the mod this was primarly acclimate to is no longer around.  And as has been pointed out before.  The newer avali mod is apparently not the same thing.  Overall it leads to this site no longer being the "avali" nexus, it is simply the "Old community Nexus" .  It is an artifact title as such, even if it wouldn't take much to make that no longer the case so it would become acclimate to it's title once more.  Until that happens though.  Add to that, the only reason it's still the avali nexus as a name right now is due to a cross between laziness, and respect for the past (nastalgia).  Otherwise it was almost going to be changed to only "The Nexus".
(05-05-2017, 01:57 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2017, 01:48 AM)YDH Wrote: [ -> ]Hey. Yes, I'm currently in the middle of the long, boring part of making a machinima episode: arranging recorded dialogue into coherent scenes that I can use to match visuals. Making progress, but no ETA yet.

After talking with numerous folks about the actual work part of things.  And listening to explanations of it.  I have a general idea about how soul-draining that part can be.  And an appreciation for those who are willing to carry through with it.  Glad to hear about progress being made.  Hope everything goes well.

(05-05-2017, 01:46 AM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I don't think the title is just artifact. It's not as representative as it should be but eh I kinda see why it is the way it is now. However, I do think yes if this was the real official avali forum that it might be more popular but I'm not sure how we would even get there.

The thing is, this site has no real focus on the avali overall anymore.  (or at least not enough of one to outdo other titles, as there has been more talk of world of tanks and other vehicular war sims than avali over the past year+ by far)  As the mod this was primarly acclimate to is no longer around.  And as has been pointed out before.  The newer avali mod is apparently not the same thing.  Overall it leads to this site no longer being the "avali" nexus, it is simply the "Old community Nexus" .  It is an artifact title as such, even if it wouldn't take much to make that no longer the case so it would become acclimate to it's title once more.  Until that happens though.  Add to that, the only reason it's still the avali nexus as a name right now is due to a cross between laziness, and respect for the past (nastalgia).  Otherwise it was almost going to be changed to only "The Nexus".
Well eh. I don't know. We could try to become more avali based and maybe that would would help. Or not, but I don't think the name should change or no one will ever find us at this point. But eh again I don't know. Do what you want if you feel inspired to change things. I don't think we have a strong enough base to do so but, if you decide to go ahead.

(05-05-2017, 12:04 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2017, 01:57 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]After talking with numerous folks about the actual work part of things.  And listening to explanations of it.  I have a general idea about how soul-draining that part can be.  And an appreciation for those who are willing to carry through with it.  Glad to hear about progress being made.  Hope everything goes well.

Well eh. I don't know. We could try to become more avali based and maybe that would would help. Or not, but I don't think the name should change or no one will ever find us at this point. But eh again I don't know. Do what you want if you feel inspired to change things. I don't think we have a strong enough base to do so but, if you decide to go ahead.

I should mention I was one of the folks who were against changing it.  But felt that you having the information about this might prove useful in the future.
My indefinite adventures being ignored by artists when I offer them money to draw a thing continues.
(05-05-2017, 01:13 PM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2017, 12:04 PM)AustinLB90 Wrote: [ -> ]Well eh. I don't know. We could try to become more avali based and maybe that would would help. Or not, but I don't think the name should change or no one will ever find us at this point. But eh again I don't know. Do what you want if you feel inspired to change things. I don't think we have a strong enough base to do so but, if you decide to go ahead.

I should mention I was one of the folks who were against changing it.  But felt that you having the information about this might prove useful in the future.

I don't want it changed either. If anything were to be changed I'd want it to be the name being more appropriate. I'd like it if this was the be all end all official avali forum where lore and stuff happens (though I do like the smallness of this forum, everyone knows each other and it's not overcrowded and stuff). That would be great. I'm not sure how we would get there though, or if we should try though I doubt that would be bad.

And those places are? I tried Ryujiin's lore dump thing, but I think that'd be classified as a necro'd thread... 

(05-05-2017, 06:32 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]My indefinite adventures being ignored by artists when I offer them money to draw a thing continues.

What do you want drawn?
(05-06-2017, 01:19 AM)Chimera Wrote: [ -> ]

And those places are? I tried Ryujiin's lore dump thing, but I think that'd be classified as a necro'd thread... 

(05-05-2017, 06:32 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]My indefinite adventures being ignored by artists when I offer them money to draw a thing continues.

What do you want drawn?
Trying to get a color piece of a new character drawn, of course this is going to be the image I refer future artists to so I'm being extra picky about who I commission. After a few hours on the wasyl marketplace I only found one artist who I liked as a choice and she stopped responding when I explained I didn't have a reference image.
(05-06-2017, 01:19 AM)Chimera Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know. I'm not super engrossed in the lore. I know enough but I don't discuss it or anything.
Maybe you could push for a not dead place to discuss lore maybe not. I can't really help you there.
Did someone imply that we annex the lore stuff and make a seperate thread here to attract new members, or was it just me?