Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12-03-2016, 03:56 AM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2016, 01:36 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]I am a golem of memes and scifi tropes.

No, wait, I'm still in this magical girl outfit. Nevermind.

a golem in a magical girl outfit

[Image: latest?cb=20160104170819]
...wait no
that's a haunted armor

CLOSE ENOUGH.
(12-03-2016, 03:56 AM)Ehksidian Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2016, 01:36 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]I am a golem of memes and scifi tropes.

No, wait, I'm still in this magical girl outfit. Nevermind.

a golem in a magical girl outfit

I meant "golem" as in "living mass of". A living thing made of memes and tropes can't wear clothes.
I beg to differ, I sometimes put on clothing.
[Image: 2e987125aef3a0a877a253ac00027aab.jpg]
So...guess what's free this weekend?
Titanfall 2 is the sequel to Titanfall, which features the titular titans falling on things, usually just the ground. Moving onto some quality commentary Titanfall 2 is one of those FPS experiences that just works, like Modern Warfare 2, it is fast, fluid, and satisfying, with an emphasis on spatial awareness and pathfinding. On foot you are highly agile, double jumping and wallrunning and popping special abilities like candy to make yourself even more unrealistically agile, essentially you are playing one of the new Call of Duty games. Not that that is explicitly a bad thing, the Call of Duty formula is tried and true, just simply stagnant, which is why Titanfall adds titans and NPCs into the mix, non-wallrunning infantrymen and warbots roam the battlefield, doing battle as you and other pilots zip about like flying squirrels, providing good cannon fodder and an exciting sense of pandemonium, as well as the occasional humiliating demise. Most importantly though, once you have proved yourself by murdering enough NPCs (or actual players, you filthy tryhard) you can call down your chosen titan from orbit, it will land at the nearest open spot and await your input, you can either climb in and command it yourself, or set it to automatically attempt to maul anything it can see.
In the titan itself you are much more lumbering, capable of rapid movement only in quick bursts, and the jarring shift of mobility options creates a very sink or swim situation where the titan leverages enough firepower to instantly end most pilots who challenge it directly, but not enough armor to be terribly forgiving of mistakes, pilots with anti-titan weapons can quickly wear you down, and enemy titans can lay down excessive punishment in very short order, so to survive all of this the titan has a more diverse toybox than most pilots, with 3 different abilities, EM smoke, an "ultimate" core ability, and a meaty gun. You must leverage all of these abilities effectively if you want to come out on top consistently, and once you learn to use them effectively they can very well take you far.
Titanfall 2 is then, for most intents and purposes then, Call of Duty with a much cooler toybox for you to play with, you can sacrifice your own titan as bait while you jump onto the enemy titan with your jetpack and rip its power core out, teleport directly through an enemy to catch them off guard, or simply pump yourself full of steroids and give a good rambo impression. The possibilities are quite extensive, if you have any fond memories of the glory days of Call of Duty and don't mind getting used to some verticality, you can play Titanfall 2 multiplayer for free all weekend.
gah, i've already commited all my MP FPS skills into TF2
also
> origin
what a shame

WORDS LITERALLY CANNOT DESCRIBE MY JOY. I AM BUZZING WITH EXCITEMENT.
THE ALMOST DECADE LONG DROUGHT IS ENDING IN THE MOST DRAMATIC WAY POSSIBLE, WE HAVE TWO NEW SINGLE PLAYER BATTLETECH GAMES COMING IN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.
singleplayer fps stompy robots?
i can dig it
(12-04-2016, 05:58 AM)comet1337 Wrote: [ -> ]singleplayer fps stompy robots?
i can dig it
No, Stompy Bot is Heavy Gear Assault, not Battletech.

[/jokenickpicking]
(12-04-2016, 05:34 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]

WORDS LITERALLY CANNOT DESCRIBE MY JOY. I AM BUZZING WITH EXCITEMENT.
THE ALMOST DECADE LONG DROUGHT IS ENDING IN THE MOST DRAMATIC WAY POSSIBLE, WE HAVE TWO NEW SINGLE PLAYER BATTLETECH GAMES COMING IN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.

Yeeee!

I hope I can at least run one of them.  *twiddles thumbs*
So how about those 2016 game awards? Tongue
I thought they were pretty bland, everything I expected to win did win. I was glad to see Inside winning a couple categories.

MUSIC!
(12-06-2016, 05:28 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]So how about those 2016 game awards? Tongue
I thought they were pretty bland, everything I expected to win did win. I was glad to see Inside winning a couple categories.

hollow and pointless as always
it's always just a marketing thing
even for things not at all related to video games
fucking shaving razors and some rappers rapping about dicks
or something like that

though mick gordon playing descent into cerberon from the quake 2 soundtrack
I ACCEPT IT
A breif history on a historical badass (the drevlians killed her father)

The Drevlians sent twenty of their best men to persuade Olga to marry their Prince Mal and give up her rule of Kievan Rus. She had them buried alive. Then she sent word to Prince Mal that she accepted the proposal, but required their most distinguished men to accompany her on the journey in order for her people to accept the offer of marriage. The Drevlians sent their best men who governed their land. Upon their arrival, she offered them a warm welcome and an invitation to clean up after their long journey in a bathhouse. After they entered, she locked the doors and set fire to the building, burning them alive.

With the best and wisest men out of the way, she planned to destroy the remaining Drevlians. She invited them to a funeral feast so she could mourn over her husband's grave, where her servants waited on them. After the Drevlians were drunk, Olga's soldiers killed over 5,000 of them. She returned to Kiev and prepared an army to attack the survivors. The Drevlians begged for mercy and offered to pay for their freedom with honey and furs. She asked for three pigeons and three sparrows from each house, since she did not want to burden the villagers any further after the siege. They were happy to comply with such a reasonable request.

Now Olga gave to each soldier in her army a pigeon or a sparrow, and ordered them to attach by thread to each pigeon and sparrow a piece of sulfur bound with small pieces of cloth. When night fell, Olga bade her soldiers release the pigeons and the sparrows. So the birds flew to their nests, the pigeons to the cotes, and the sparrows under the eaves. The dove-cotes, the coops, the porches, and the haymows were set on fire. There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames, because all the houses caught on fire at once. The people fled from the city, and Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them. Thus she took the city and burned it, and captured the elders of the city. Some of the other captives she killed, while some she gave to others as slaves to her followers. The remnant she left to pay tribute.
I've got one that's about someone who isn't as clever, but is still remarkable.

There's an old story involving the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1,066, where the English were attacking a surprised Norwegian force lead by Harald Hardraada. The Norwegian army was caught unprepared and split on either side of the bridge, the Western group was killed, while the eastern formed a hasty defensive circle around their end while some of the Western troops fled across towards them. The English army was slowed by having to cross the choke-point of the bridge, but they were further delayed by one huge viking believed to have wielded a Danish axe. The story says he killed 40 men and held the entire army back in doing so, giving his friends on the Eastern end more time. He was only killed when an English soldier floated under the bridge and stabbed up through the slats, wounding the viking.

Harald and the Norwegians ended up losing the battle, but the English army took a big hit. The truth of that story is debatable, but the mental image of it is too good to pass up. Some day I'll try to draw that scene, I've been thinking about it for a while.

global ops in a nutshell

thanks for reminding me of this
'Val.

[Image: N6ohooy.png?1]
arte'
(12-03-2016, 11:59 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 2e987125aef3a0a877a253ac00027aab.jpg]
Titanfall 2 is the sequel to Titanfall, which features the titular titans falling on things, usually just the ground. Moving onto some quality commentary Titanfall 2 is one of those FPS experiences that just works, like Modern Warfare 2, it is fast, fluid, and satisfying, with an emphasis on spatial awareness and pathfinding. On foot you are highly agile, double jumping and wallrunning and popping special abilities like candy to make yourself even more unrealistically agile, essentially you are playing one of the new Call of Duty games. Not that that is explicitly a bad thing, the Call of Duty formula is tried and true, just simply stagnant, which is why Titanfall adds titans and NPCs into the mix, non-wallrunning infantrymen and warbots roam the battlefield, doing battle as you and other pilots zip about like flying squirrels, providing good cannon fodder and an exciting sense of pandemonium, as well as the occasional humiliating demise. Most importantly though, once you have proved yourself by murdering enough NPCs (or actual players, you filthy tryhard) you can call down your chosen titan from orbit, it will land at the nearest open spot and await your input, you can either climb in and command it yourself, or set it to automatically attempt to maul anything it can see.
In the titan itself you are much more lumbering, capable of rapid movement only in quick bursts, and the jarring shift of mobility options creates a very sink or swim situation where the titan leverages enough firepower to instantly end most pilots who challenge it directly, but not enough armor to be terribly forgiving of mistakes, pilots with anti-titan weapons can quickly wear you down, and enemy titans can lay down excessive punishment in very short order, so to survive all of this the titan has a more diverse toybox than most pilots, with 3 different abilities, EM smoke, an "ultimate" core ability, and a meaty gun. You must leverage all of these abilities effectively if you want to come out on top consistently, and once you learn to use them effectively they can very well take you far.
Titanfall 2 is then, for most intents and purposes then, Call of Duty with a much cooler toybox for you to play with, you can sacrifice your own titan as bait while you jump onto the enemy titan with your jetpack and rip its power core out, teleport directly through an enemy to catch them off guard, or simply pump yourself full of steroids and give a good rambo impression. The possibilities are quite extensive, if you have any fond memories of the glory days of Call of Duty and don't mind getting used to some verticality, you can play Titanfall 2 multiplayer for free all weekend.

So do you like it or not like it?

I personally wish I could play it, but
money and PC limitations ;w;

Ronin and Tone seem super fun to play though
to me, at least. I like Tone's mechanic of "build up the homing thing and BLAST THEM TO PIECES WITH WAVES OF HOMING ROCKETS" and Ronin's... well...
...it's a mech with a giant fucking sword and a ghost dash. what more could you want?
(12-08-2016, 02:08 AM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2016, 11:59 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 2e987125aef3a0a877a253ac00027aab.jpg]

So do you like it or not like it?

I personally wish I could play it, but
money and PC limitations ;w;

Ronin and Tone seem super fun to play though
to me, at least. I like Tone's mechanic of "build up the homing thing and BLAST THEM TO PIECES WITH WAVES OF HOMING ROCKETS" and Ronin's... well...
...it's a mech with a giant fucking sword and a ghost dash. what more could you want?
I'm in a love/hate relationship with it. On one hand it's very fun and fluid, on the other hand you use Tone with nuclear ejection or you get fucked.