Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think discord is a fad, and will eventually have a reckoning when reality hits and someone somewhere realizes how expensive it is. Then something I cannot predict will happen. I, well, I can't actually say I've been wrong before. I can't remember the last time I was.. Beh.

In any case, I'll use it, but I don't trust it in the slightest and treat it like a virus, keeping it partially quarantined at all times and closing it and quarantining it entirely when not in use.
phlosion drop

[Image: CNDYMuB.jpg]
(10-28-2016, 03:34 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I think discord is a fad, and will eventually have a reckoning when reality hits and someone somewhere realizes how expensive it is. 
The problem with that is both the client and server are free.
(10-28-2016, 03:34 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I think discord is a fad, and will eventually have a reckoning when reality hits and someone somewhere realizes how expensive it is.  Then something I cannot predict will happen.  I, well, I can't actually say I've been wrong before.  I can't remember the last time I was..  Beh.  

In any case, I'll use it, but I don't trust it in the slightest and treat it like a virus, keeping it partially quarantined at all times and closing it and quarantining it entirely when not in use.

Fads are called such because they burn out and die within a few months maybe a year or two; id say Discord is far too entrenched at this point to be written off as a fad; Discord will eventually decline, of that i have no doubt, but it may be years yet before that happens, and when it does, it will merely be replaced by a new rival, just as Discord did to forum sites like this.

Personally i prefer forum sites, but the cold hard truth of the matter is that for most people, Forums simply cannot compete with Discord.
My favorite moment in a channel's life is when it is still new and everyone with access immediately takes a shit(post) in it to stake their claim.
I was in a voice call with the other mods to discuss a new room we wanted to make, anyways we set it up but didn't open it to the public yet because we were still hashing out details of how to give access. Me and 3-4 mods were shitposting furiously in it during this.
(10-28-2016, 04:58 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]My favorite moment in a channel's life is when it is still new and everyone with access immediately takes a shit(post) in it to stake their claim.
I was in a voice call with the other mods to discuss a new room we wanted to make, anyways we set it up but didn't open it to the public yet because we were still hashing out details of how to give access. Me and 3-4 mods were shitposting furiously in it during this.

Memederators.
(10-28-2016, 05:16 AM)roguephoenix64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2016, 04:58 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]My favorite moment in a channel's life is when it is still new and everyone with access immediately takes a shit(post) in it to stake their claim.

Memederators.
We got this far by being the shitpost champs.
eh, since I closed the tap for awesome thing posts because someone keeps complain about it, yeah I think that's kinda why the forum kinda died down, but I still like some military gear discussions like T-14 Amata's APS can shield against APFSDS rounds,

also this

still havent gopt the chance to play it yet, being bust with my final year project
You really should resume the drops, Null. I'm sure most of us greatly enjoyed them and you shouldn't be discouraged by one guy.
(10-28-2016, 03:55 AM)Comito Wrote: [ -> ]phlosion drop

[Image: CNDYMuB.jpg]
OOOO typhlosion!~ reks just showed me this!~
(10-28-2016, 04:52 AM)Tanis Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2016, 03:34 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]I think discord is a fad, and will eventually have a reckoning when reality hits and someone somewhere realizes how expensive it is.  Then something I cannot predict will happen.  I, well, I can't actually say I've been wrong before.  I can't remember the last time I was..  Beh.  

Fads are called such because they burn out and die within a few months maybe a year or two; id say Discord is far too entrenched at this point to be written off as a fad; Discord will eventually decline, of that i have no doubt, but it may be years yet before that happens, and when it does, it will merely be replaced by a new rival, just as Discord did to forum sites like this.

Personally i prefer forum sites, but the cold hard truth of the matter is that for most people, Forums simply cannot compete with Discord.
yea... i definately prefer a forum over a chat system...
(10-28-2016, 06:07 AM)Comito Wrote: [ -> ]You really should resume the drops, Null. I'm sure most of us greatly enjoyed them and you shouldn't be discouraged by one guy.
more picies?!~
one more complain whoever that is I'm cutting the supply line with a true stable higgs bozon bomb
[Image: tumblr_ofqpcuJtHG1rpsjkoo1_1280.png]

also vine support the videos would be nice too
(10-28-2016, 04:52 AM)Tanis Wrote: [ -> ]

Why did you feel the need to explain what a fad is?  I know, though thanks for attempting to be informative. 

Unfortunately, discord is not entrenched in the slightest.  It's treated like the "newest big thing!"  still despite how long it's been around.  People still don't know about it all over the place,  People including myself and many others I see don't want to touch it out of paranoia and automatic distrust of anything whose only actually true advertisement is "it's free!!!"  (The other main statements about it are false or overstated massively, being only 10% more efficient than skype, when looking at all related discord processes including the hidden ones as an example)

It has no basis for a future, especially once they start running it on add revenue or other methods.  This is where I'd pointed my statement of it being expensive.  Someone has to pay for all that data storage and all of those "servers".  Especially with all of the different information they'd be required to store.  It's not free.  Nothing ever truly is.  Something's going to happen, I can't claim what, good or bad, or when.  When it will die.  All I do know is that it does not look promising in the slightest.  I'm not good enough at math to go beyond this on prediction and pattern recognition.

Forums cannot be outdated compared to chats, even ones that record posts or have fancy posting privilege stuff. As a forum allows much more intricate and formal or informal use of writing technique. Encouraging longer more meaningful and thought out posts than "hello everyone" "Hi there" "How are you doing" "Fine" It's not a guarantee, but it's something. Whereas on chats it tends to look like nothing more than clutter and encourage having the attention span of a lombax. They also allow people from differing time zones to speak more efficiently than chats or instant messengers tend to be able to.

I prefer them as well for conversation and social interaction. As chats are like having your friend over at your house compared to over the phone. For me.
(10-28-2016, 09:22 AM)Lost Rinoah Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2016, 04:52 AM)Tanis Wrote: [ -> ]Fads are called such because they burn out and die within a few months maybe a year or two; id say Discord is far too entrenched at this point to be written off as a fad; Discord will eventually decline, of that i have no doubt, but it may be years yet before that happens, and when it does, it will merely be replaced by a new rival, just as Discord did to forum sites like this.

Why did you feel the need to explain what a fad is?  I know, though thanks for attempting to be informative. 

Unfortunately, discord is not entrenched in the slightest.  It's treated like the "newest big thing!"  still despite how long it's been around.  People still don't know about it all over the place,  People including myself and many others I see don't want to touch it out of paranoia and automatic distrust of anything whose only actually true advertisement is "it's free!!!"  (The other main statements about it are false or overstated massively, being only 10% more efficient than skype, when looking at all related discord processes including the hidden ones as an example)

It has no basis for a future, especially once they start running it on add revenue or other methods.  This is where I'd pointed my statement of it being expensive.  Someone has to pay for all that data storage and all of those "servers".  Especially with all of the different information they'd be required to store.  It's not free.  Nothing ever truly is.  Something's going to happen, I can't claim what, good or bad, or when.  When it will die.  All I do know is that it does not look promising in the slightest.  I'm not good enough at math to go beyond this on prediction and pattern recognition.

Forums cannot be outdated compared to chats, even ones that record posts or have fancy posting privilege stuff.  As a forum allows much more intricate and formal or informal use of writing technique.  Encouraging longer more meaningful and thought out posts than "hello everyone" "Hi there"  "How are you doing"  "Fine"  It's not a guarantee, but it's something.  Whereas on chats it tends to look like nothing more than clutter and encourage having the attention span of a lombax.  They also allow people from differing time zones to speak more efficiently than chats or instant messengers tend to be able to.  

I prefer them as well for conversation and social interaction.  As chats are like having your friend over at your house  compared to over the phone.  For me.

Sorry, i have a propensity for rambling; I'll grant that you make a lot of fair points, but Discord isn't going to shrivel up and die overnight just because you want it too, yes a sudden overnight change like what your suggesting will certainly blow a sizable hole in its active userbase, but it's going to take a lot more than that to kill it off within the time frame your predicting.

As for the processing requirements being only a slight margin better than Skype; a lot of computer users don't really care about that sort of thing, so long as it doesn't bite into their system hard enough to cause noticeable lag.

while i could have worded it more explicitly, i did agree with your point about it being impossible to predict what Discord's successor will be; i mainly disagree with you on how long it will take Discord to die.

Forums will never go away completely, but i don't see any reasonable way they can ever escape the shadow of VoIP services like Discord.
What will bite Dischord is the storage requirements on the server.

Skype doesn't record conversations serverside, other than buffering messages that haven't been delivered yet.

Hosting any kind of media and even written content like forum pages will add up in a hurry for server expenses. Expenses that have to be paid somehow.

Which raises question about where Dischord is getting this funding from, and how evil they will become in the not too distant future when said source of funding is no longer sufficient to carry the server burden.

Dischord is not the future, its merely a convenience that has become popular.

But while it is trending, the alternatives are dying. Because people would rather have everything in one spot instead of going to find excitement out there on the digital frontier.
I feel awkward for just enjoying Discord as an actually functional alternative to teamspeak and Skype,
(10-28-2016, 07:42 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]one more complain whoever that is I'm cutting the supply line with a true stable higgs bozon bomb
[Image: tumblr_ofqpcuJtHG1rpsjkoo1_1280.png]

also vine support the videos would be nice too

dat ish cute!~
(10-28-2016, 01:03 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]I feel awkward for just enjoying Discord as an actually functional alternative to teamspeak and Skype,

That's pretty much it here.

You can complain and argue if you want, but it works and functions better than it's competition, for the moment.

IE: Calls that Skype would fuck up and drop work perfectly fine on Discord.

But you know... Opinions!
(10-28-2016, 05:37 PM)Reks Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2016, 01:03 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]I feel awkward for just enjoying Discord as an actually functional alternative to teamspeak and Skype,

That's pretty much it here.

You can complain and argue if you want, but it works and functions better than it's competition, for the moment.

IE: Calls that Skype would fuck up and drop work perfectly fine on Discord.

But you know... Opinions!
It also has a fleshed out text chat and UI unlike teamspeak. Where teamspeak makes you jump through UI hoops to change server and bleeps and bloops constantly while discord runs all your servers simultaneously and is pleasantly streamlined.
Another phlosion drop! this one's from Chu, the creator of slightly damned

[Image: commission___s_more_maker_by_raizy-d7k9tg8.png]
(10-28-2016, 09:17 PM)Comito Wrote: [ -> ]Another phlosion drop! this one's from Chu, the creator of slightly damned

[Image: commission___s_more_maker_by_raizy-d7k9tg8.png]

Yea i believe this one is actually of phlosioneer! i can tell!~ hehehhe still adorable phloy