Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-21-2016, 03:11 PM)OdinYggd Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2016, 06:05 AM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]On a scale of feasible to horseshit it is definitely a 4 or something
Long as I can convince the average person though I am satisfied.

One of my retro-themed starships had a similar shield though.

It used a slowly rotating magnetic field that on emerging from FTL would quickly gather nearby meteorites and space junk. This would orbit gently around it in a continually thickening debris field, providing an ablative shielding of sorts.

But said ship was also a freighter, and when it went to warp it left behind a swirl of space junk gradually spreading out again since the magnetic field was gone. The shields had to be operating for some time at sublight velocities to have any kind of effectiveness - since it took time for the shield to gather debris. This shield would also capture nearby freight containers interestingly enough, making it rather convenient when loading cargo without a proper space dock because you could fling the container towards it and let the shield capture it, then attach a thruster pack to the container to 'deorbit' it so it would fall into the cargo bay.

I had considered a few times including a mechanism to capture debris from the shield, grind them up and store them inside the ship, then use that material as chaff to prime the shields if it happened to warp into a crisis.

Your plasma system sounds interesting, but I see a very problematic flaw- it would require a specially shaped magnetic field to capture the plasma in an envelope that attracts it to keep it within a certain distance, but then repels it again so it doesn't stick to the hull. My solution to it would be to phase the shields- it operates at one polarity to attract the plasma, then once the plasma has momentum towards the hull, it reverses polarity to repel it and push it away again. Like so the thickness of the plasma belt would be controlled by the frequency- lower frequency means thicker field, but to achieve compression for shielding an incoming shot you would have to change the frequency up and down at regular intervals to decompress and recompress the plasma so it doesn't cool off or get squeezed out.

The idea for pulse shields has been around for a long time.  It's even the style of shielding used in the halo series by covenant and adapted by human forces once reverse engineered.   Shielding being constantly on is expensive, energy inefficient, and produces massive amounts of heat over time after all, magnetic or otherwise.

The issue becomes what balance between these things are you looking for.

Pulse shielding is good for disassociation of energy and explosive weapons  (rapidly peels them apart using it's tiny pulses or disrupts aim heavily diverting the shots or causing them to explode at a distance)  And only has issues with solid projectiles, specifically flame retardant non ferrous ones, but ferrous materials still oft get through, though slightly damaged and not as damaging.  This weakness is the cost of the system being more efficient and (generally speaking) cheaper than other systems across all areas.

However, if you want to go REALLY cheap and REALLY effective compared to the cost, you'd use something closer to a broad spectrum AMS  Using plasma counter battery fire to repel attacks on the ship via slaved trajectory computers set to their own projectile speed etcetra.  All for minimal wear on your ship, max coverage, minimum cost.  Lasers aren't going to repel projected energy, but plasma will counter projectile, explosive, laser, other plasma, projected energy, and non-ferrous flame retardent materials.  What else would you need when the better alternative is already here today in real life?  Just apply a bit of that science mumbo jumbo and point defense systems outrank shields for everything that is going to see combat.  Minimum drain on your ship, your wallet, your rescources, and your safety.  Who needs some ineffective energy envelope when you have a set of those babies?
Ugggghhh so much work, but so much fun
oh ho Miyu it's been a while, so what have you been doing while you're gone
(09-21-2016, 09:52 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]oh ho Miyu it's been a while, so what have you been doing while you're gone

random stuff, nothing particular right now i'm trying to make a concept for a starbound race though. I'm writing everything down but i really have no idea what i'm supposed to be doing or what needs to be written XDDD. i need to come up with a name for their home planet still as well ^^;

Edit: I got a planet name now. Calling their home planet Valaira [ Val - Air - Ahh ]
(09-21-2016, 09:58 PM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2016, 09:52 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]oh ho Miyu it's been a while, so what have you been doing while you're gone

random stuff, nothing particular right now i'm trying to make a concept for a starbound race though. I'm writing everything down but i really have no idea what i'm supposed to be doing or what needs to be written XDDD. i need to come up with a name for their home planet still as well ^^;

Edit: I got a planet name now. Calling their home planet Valaira [ Val - Air - Ahh ]

Cool name, also wat statbound race you're creating? Hopefully it either have unique cool sprites or ingenious coding for some cool abilities.
(09-22-2016, 12:25 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2016, 09:58 PM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]random stuff, nothing particular right now i'm trying to make a concept for a starbound race though. I'm writing everything down but i really have no idea what i'm supposed to be doing or what needs to be written XDDD. i need to come up with a name for their home planet still as well ^^;

Cool name, also wat statbound race you're creating? Hopefully it either have unique cool sprites or ingenious coding for some cool abilities.

i can't code or sprite hence why its nothing more then a concept TT.TT . They are a bit strange, they have sheep/ram horns, and fluffy bits on parts of their body including the arms and legs that kind of look like armwarmers and leg warmers. They also have a Long tail with a fluffy cylinder at the end, making it kind of ressemble a chimney broom. I have an entire Stash page with everything i've written down so far if your intrested. I'm drawing some concept art for some stuff including how they look. the Average Male is around 5ft 6in or 167cm. The average Female is around 5ft or 152cm. So they are kind of small for a humanoid.
(09-22-2016, 12:33 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 12:25 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Cool name, also wat statbound race you're creating? Hopefully it either have unique cool sprites or ingenious coding for some cool abilities.

i can't code or sprite hence why its nothing more then a concept TT.TT . They are a bit strange, they have sheep/ram horns, and fluffy bits on parts of their body including the arms and legs that kind of look like armwarmers and leg warmers. They also have a Long tail with a fluffy cylinder at the end, making it kind of ressemble a chimney broom. I have an entire Stash page with everything i've written down so far if your intrested. I'm drawing some concept art for some stuff including how they look. the Average Male is around 5ft 6in or 167cm. The average Female is around 5ft or 152cm. So they are kind of small for a humanoid.

Something like this with a bit fr fluff?
[Image: tumblr_ocm6x0Nwly1r7me8lo1_400.jpg]
http://sinnimonroll-central.tumblr.com/post/149595749538   
Zu's/Cole's drawing
But with a bit of fluff/wool around the limbs?
(09-22-2016, 12:45 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 12:33 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]i can't code or sprite hence why its nothing more then a concept TT.TT . They are a bit strange, they have sheep/ram horns, and fluffy bits on parts of their body including the arms and legs that kind of look like armwarmers and leg warmers. They also have a Long tail with a fluffy cylinder at the end, making it kind of ressemble a chimney broom. I have an entire Stash page with everything i've written down so far if your intrested. I'm drawing some concept art for some stuff including how they look. the Average Male is around 5ft 6in or 167cm. The average Female is around 5ft or 152cm. So they are kind of small for a humanoid.

Something like this with a bit fr fluff?
[Image: tumblr_ocm6x0Nwly1r7me8lo1_400.jpg]
Zu's/Cole's drawing

similar in some areas different in others. like the tail and face structure would be different, they also have more human like feet instead of hooves and legs and you can see there skin in most areas. But they are around that size, and build and have the same kind of horns. Pre-Civilization, they would climb alot for food.
(09-22-2016, 12:57 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 12:45 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Something like this with a bit fr fluff?
-its a ram but a female?-
Zu's/Cole's drawing

similar in some areas different in others. like the tail and face structure would be different, they also have more human like feet instead of hooves and legs and you can see there skin in most areas. But they are around that size, and build and have the same kind of horns. Pre-Civilization, they would climb alot for food.
I'm not sure people are easily sold with the idea of a more human like race, it'll just be satyr like instead
(09-22-2016, 01:14 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 12:57 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]similar in some areas different in others. like the tail and face structure would be different, they also have more human like feet instead of hooves and legs and you can see there skin in most areas. But they are around that size, and build and have the same kind of horns. Pre-Civilization, they would climb alot for food.
I'm not sure people are easily sold with the idea of a more human like race, it'll just be satyr like instead

its really hard to describe it'd be easier to show a drawing ^^; sorry. I can link you everything i have for written down so far if you'd like?
(09-22-2016, 01:17 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 01:14 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure people are easily sold with the idea of a more human like race, it'll just be satyr like instead

its really hard to describe it'd be easier to show a drawing ^^; sorry. I can link you everything i have for written down so far if you'd like?

yeah, while you're at it do show the concept art too
I've been away for awhile...
Surprised that a flame war haven't started.
(09-22-2016, 01:31 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 01:17 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]its really hard to describe it'd be easier to show a drawing ^^; sorry. I can link you everything i have for written down so far if you'd like?

yeah, while you're at it do show the concept art too

im working on the concept art currently. but here is everything i've written down so far. Its a bit messy and unrefined ^^: Shavi
(09-22-2016, 01:32 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 01:31 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, while you're at it do show the concept art too

im working on the concept art currently. but here is everything i've written down so far. Its a bit messy and unrefined ^^: Shavi

sounds pretty cool and cute, cant wait to see the concept art for them
(09-22-2016, 02:04 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 01:32 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]im working on the concept art currently. but here is everything i've written down so far. Its a bit messy and unrefined ^^: Shavi

sounds pretty cool and cute, cant wait to see the concept art for them

part of the reason i am going humanoid is cause, i want them to be able to wear a lot of starbound items like the rainbow cape. >.>
(09-22-2016, 02:05 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 02:04 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]sounds pretty cool and cute, cant wait to see the concept art for them

part of the reason i am going humanoid is cause, i want them to be able to wear a lot of starbound items like the rainbow cape. >.>

you could make them anthro instead of kemono, reuse the esiting humanoid sprite as a base instead of avali's digitigrade sprite
I think the scale goes form human - ginja(not sure I've spelled this right) - anthro - kemono - animal
(09-22-2016, 02:19 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 02:05 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]part of the reason i am going humanoid is cause, i want them to be able to wear a lot of starbound items like the rainbow cape. >.>

you could make them anthro instead of kemono,
I think the scale goes form human - ginja(not sure I've spelled this right) - anthro - kemono - animal

i wasn't planning on them being completely covered in fur. Plus the only kind of fluffy fur i can draw looks like clouds >.< i'm not the best artist.
(09-22-2016, 02:20 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 02:19 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]you could make them anthro instead of kemono,

i wasn't planning on them being completely covered in fur. Plus the only kind of fluffy fur i can draw looks like clouds >.< i'm not the best artist.

you could just alternate between short fur and fluffy fur instead of exposing bare skin
(09-22-2016, 02:26 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 02:20 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]i wasn't planning on them being completely covered in fur. Plus the only kind of fluffy fur i can draw looks like clouds >.< i'm not the best artist.

you could just alternate between short fur and fluffy fur instead of exposing bare skin

well they do wear clothes. and i can't help but imagine shiny smooth skin for these guys ^^; i wish i was a better artist
(09-22-2016, 02:31 AM)Silverduke1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 02:26 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]you could just alternate between short fur and fluffy fur instead of exposing bare skin

well they do wear clothes. and i can't help but imagine shiny smooth skin for these guys ^^; i wish i was a better artist
mmmm, shiny ram belly with belly button...the hell is wrong with me(I blame the skype discord squad) we need double and triple strikethrough if possible.

just keep drawing, improvement are not shown overnight but over a long period of time, keep practicing