Avali Nexus

Full Version: Avali Nexus Forum Thread: 4 Score and Several Threads Ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-18-2016, 12:12 PM)Rahizel Wrote: [ -> ]Okay so I in theory have $1000 to build a gaming computer from scratch, and I'm willing to focus a build around an AMD or Intel processor.

Ideas on parts?

Just some general suggestions:

Don't dump most of your money on the processor. Most games these days are not that CPU heavy, although there is a lower limit where the OS and the game practically cannot run at the same time. A low-end to medium-end enthusiast processor should do well. 

The motherboard isn't that important, but skimping on it for a cheap knockoff is a way to lose more expensive parts. Spending more for more ports and USB3.0 drivers is your choice. Make sure the slot type is exactly the type your processor is.

The case is similar to the motherboard in importance. The slots in the back have 3 different sizes, although most motherboards come with alternate metal sheaths so they can fit otherwise, but larger motherboards can't exactly use less space. The case limits the size of everything inside, and could support any of the three motherboard forms (ATX, MiniATX, MicroATX). On top of that, getting one with the same forward slots as the motherboard is nice. Extra fans are optional. 

Games these days will chug RAM like eggnog, especially when running mods. At the very least you should have 8 GB. Note that you shouldn't get a single stick of the size you want, but instead 2 sticks at half that size (e.g. 2x4GB), as the way RAM is handled works with parallel sticks better, on motherboards with more than two RAM slots the linked slots are colored the same.

The video card is generally where most of the money goes. The Medium-end enthusiast cards can do well, but you should have the budget to put a high-end in instead. Try not to SLI or CrossFire yet.

The power supply should not be ignored. Skimping on this means losing all parts in the computer, so do get a reliable brand. Add up the power draw of all your parts, then find a supply that gives you about 200 in leeway for spikes in power draw and minor overclocking.

Stock cooling systems will usually work well, although you should never use the thermal paste that comes with your parts, those are usually the very cheap kind. You don't need to spend a lot of money here, as even the more expensive ones only take off a few degrees from the sitting temperature. 
(08-18-2016, 02:44 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 02:39 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]oh yeah, gun lances from Monster Hunter, still not really tried those though, yeah guess the hammer isnt that useful while other tools could easily replaced the hammer

Anything with tight armor won't like a smack from a hammer, it's best for jarring things out of their senses and pulping things behind armor, raw force. But they can pulp fleshy targets just fine. Unga-Bunga smash!

That's why I suggested plastic explosives.  Turn the tank itself into the "hammer".  In any case.  breaching Hammers tend to allow for people on foot or outside armor to relatively safely fire off a round more easily by using a short barrel with a pin at the back.  When the protruding tip of said round is struck on the object.  The weight of the hammer is applied directly to the round through the pin.  This allows larger rounds/calibers to be fired on foot than normal.  In addition any excess power from the strike of the hammer counters the recoil of the round so it won't fly back out of your hand.  If you applied this ideology.  You could in essence equip some infantry with a sledge equipped with an appropriate caliber of tank non-explosive penetrator round loaded inside.  On swing giving infantry access to high penetration weapons beyond what a full rifle could handle, while keeping it relatively safer when correctly designed.  And light enough to carry. 

But simply using explosive ordnance that is caseless is lighter than carrying such a weapon, the only issue for this being having enough caps or detonators to make use of the proper amount of ordinance.  Like having only 3 detonators and 500 grams of Plastiq when you only need 50 grams per door, only to find there are five doors.

Thus the small breaching hammers that load shotgun shells.  You can carry 12 shotgun shells in a relatively small space, and that's twelve doors you can blow open.

So it is a question of efficiency. Which is more efficient for your situation? Sticking plastique to your target? Or hitting it with a breaching hammer? Ammo, weight, difficulty of use, training of the user, environment, target.
(08-18-2016, 12:07 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]Just ordered MHG. wew

Another Nexus-ian joins the hunt! Big Grin

i cry everytime
(08-19-2016, 05:29 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]

i cry everytime

A robot with PTSD. This is how you know you've basically made a human as an AI. 
(08-19-2016, 06:19 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]

i cry everytime

I'm not sure, anything capable of learning could develop PTSDs, I mean it could be a defensive mechanism to overcome certain repeated situation but with the exact detail of the situation not recorded correctly like just the sound of an explosion which cause shell shock
(08-18-2016, 12:33 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]Trench coats and umbreon
[Image: tumblr_oc2nvoctMn1v6ju9to1_540.png]
http://briteeveedoodles.tumblr.com/post/149094718196
How did I miss this before

Cute.
(08-18-2016, 02:44 AM)Dipdoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2016, 02:39 AM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]oh yeah, gun lances from Monster Hunter, still not really tried those though, yeah guess the hammer isnt that useful while other tools could easily replaced the hammer

Anything with tight armor won't like a smack from a hammer, it's best for jarring things out of their senses and pulping things behind armor, raw force. But they can pulp fleshy targets just fine. Unga-Bunga smash!
It's even a thing in MH. You can have all your fancy swords and the like, but you don't need anywhere near the skill required for a blade with a club or hammer. And even if you can't slice things, the sheer force of the weapon you're using is extremely capable of stunning and tiring a monster out from the repeated attacks.
(08-18-2016, 03:10 AM)Umbra Wrote: [ -> ]

They're fun.
Haven't tried them in MHGen yet, though.
Gunlances are a bit... Strange.

Meanwhile hammer is just "get in their face and bludgeon them until they pass out"
(08-18-2016, 12:07 PM)kawaiiChiimera Wrote: [ -> ]Just ordered MHG. wew

Awesome! Will be fun to play from time to time.
(08-19-2016, 06:19 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]

i cry everytime

How is it PTSD? He isn't getting horrible flashbacks. (The one that is in is just reading the memory of another bastion unit)
It mainly is Bastion switching from its core Omniac programming to another reprogrammed combat protocol after encountering combat like scenarios (The woodpecker and other Bastion memory).
Also I don't think Omniacs would be able to get stuff like PTSD due to how its evolving AI would work.
OH HO HO HO.
Have I found one of THE prime sources for 169 material.

11 pages remain.
(08-19-2016, 10:19 AM)Shaadaris Wrote: [ -> ]OH HO HO HO.
Have I found one of THE prime sources for 169 material.

11 pages remain.
actually 12 since it's page 157 now
(08-19-2016, 08:57 AM)dancool57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2016, 06:19 AM)SilverOtter Wrote: [ -> ]A robot with PTSD. This is how you know you've basically made a human as an AI. 

How is it PTSD? He isn't getting horrible flashbacks. (The one that is in is just reading the memory of another bastion unit)
It mainly is Bastion switching from its core Omniac programming to another reprogrammed combat protocol after encountering combat like scenarios (The woodpecker and other Bastion memory).
Also I don't think Omniacs would be able to get stuff like PTSD due to how its evolving AI would work.
It's PTSD because he is reverting to a more basic and instinctive response to a possibly dangerous stimuli. It's kind of weird because I doubt it's actually trauma related, more just him occasionally functioning as actually intended, but the mechanism is very similar to human PTSD.

https://timothy-seals.bandcamp.com/album/a-new-dawn-cover-edition
Have a classic OST.
(08-19-2016, 12:43 PM)Reks Wrote: [ -> ]

Nice!
by the way, have any of you guys have contact with Gonzo? it's been quite a while since I last seen that heavily amputated avali, the same for most other old Nexus members
(08-19-2016, 01:52 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]by the way, have any of you guys have contact with Gonzo? it's been quite a while since I last seen that heavily amputated avali, the same for most other old Nexus members
The place which shall be not be named is sufficient explanation for 90% of those absences.
(08-19-2016, 01:57 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2016, 01:52 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]by the way, have any of you guys have contact with Gonzo? it's been quite a while since I last seen that heavily amputated avali, the same for most other old Nexus members
The place which shall be not be named is sufficient explanation for 90% of those absences.

nah, kinda doubt he's part of the skype fragment squad, was he? I thought most of the skype members were member of Bee's NSFW convo idea

[Image: tumblr_my2qzhAiCn1rhhpzmo1_400.gif]
this gif explains it all
I remember the last Skype forum splinter I was part of, it turned into a complete mess over a year's time.
(08-19-2016, 02:11 PM)SCN-3_NULL Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2016, 01:57 PM)Surge Wrote: [ -> ]The place which shall be not be named is sufficient explanation for 90% of those absences.

nah, kinda doubt he's part of the skype fragment squad, was he? I thought most of the skype members were member of Bee's NSFW convo idea

[Image: tumblr_my2qzhAiCn1rhhpzmo1_400.gif]
this gif explains it all
I am 70% sure he is.
(08-19-2016, 12:43 PM)Reks Wrote: [ -> ]

Oooooo! Bluevali!
Now I want this to be a selectable feather color in the Avali rewrite.